Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
What's the warranty process like for, say, a Pixel 3XL on VZW? I purchased on a DPP last November or December, and the front-facing camera has been getting slowly more unusable. Should I bother going into the store, and will they be able to exchange/order a replacement while I keep the phone, or will I need to hand over the phone right away and wait on the replacement?

I've tried all the usual fixes, wiping data/cache and a factory reset. When flipping to the front camera, the image is super fuzzy and loud static noise comes out of the speaker next to the camera. Happened very infrequently after the first month or two, and now it's basically any time I try to use it. I've got a backup phone I could use, but I'd likely need a replacement SIM for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
I'm assuming there is currently no way to get more than 8GB on a shared data plan? My wife and I are on an 8GB plan, and usually bump up at the limit at the end of the month nowadays since her job doesn't have WiFi for her personal phone to use. Jumping to even the cheapest unlimited plan would raise our bill almost $30, since our current plan gets a discount through my employer (and I believe the Unlimited plans are ineligible for employer discounts, yes?).

I wish the unlimited plans weren't such a stupid jump from the 8gb shared plan. I've been with Verizon for close to 20 years, but if we ever have to add another line I'm going to seriously consider switching providers.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
It just seems like Verizon decided they don't like people with 2 lines. A single line on Unlimited? Expensive, but not awful. 3-5 lines? Reasonable cost per line. 2 lines? gently caress you, that's why.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
I think when our current phones are paid up I'm switching us to prepaid. I don't see the value with postpaid anymore, but I'm not wanting to leave the Verizon network because of the coverage. I'm presuming coverage will be the same whether we are pre- or postpaid?

Just checked, and our "normal" usage would definitely be covered by 6gb on one line, 16gb on the other. That seems to be $65/month for the service only, BYOD? We currently pay $160 with discounts and device payments, and have been hitting our 8GB cap reliably with 4-6 days left in our billing cycle. That's saving almost $100/month, and the only real discount we're currently getting is a promo payment on my Pixel 3 XL of $17/month.

The only real downside besides support is no phone payment plans on prepaid, and no device upgrade promos, correct? I usually keep phones for 2.5-3.5 years, my wife likes to upgrade every other iPhone release. But saving $100/month is going to cover a new, very expensive phone every year. We don't pay for phone insurance, and usually only go into the store for her phone upgrades every other year.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!

Duckman2008 posted:

How many lines do you have , 2 ? I think your math on prepaid monthly is right, but I would have to double check and I think it requires autopay.

That said, there are two differences for prepaid. Not necessarily major, but you have to be aware of them :

1. Prepaid plans def will get de prioritized over postpaid. If you’re on a congested tower , you could have slower data. 480 video streaming , etc.

2. Prepaid customer service is very , very bad. In theory, if you pay your bill every month, you won’t need it. But yeah, it’s really bad customer service if poo poo ever hits the fan.

And then yeah, no phone payment plans, no phone discounts , etc. the upside is of course monthly plans are a bit cheaper. So if those downsides don’t bother you, for sure go for it.

Yeah, two lines now, and I doubt we'd be adding more until our kid is old enough for a phone. And yes, autopay was required in my scenario, but we're on postpaid w/autopay and a 20% employer discount now. I'm just hitting phone bill burnout with how huge our bill is for two lines, and hitting the data cap the last 3 months isn't helping either. If I could somehow get bumped to the 12/16GB shared data plans I probably would stick with postpaid, but I can't justify almost doubling our service bill to move us to a reasonable unlimited plan.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
My wife and I currently have the old 8GB shared plan, with two phones we own outright. We pay $93.90/mo + taxes and fees, with my 20% work discount and the 3% bonus access discount on the plan itself, whatever that is.

Is there any reason not to switch to the 10GB shared plan, which looks to be the same price? When I go to switch plan, it gives me our current discounted 8GB plan, but shows $110 for the 10GB plan with no discounts. Do the shared plans no longer qualify for plan-level discounts?

Luckily we mostly stay under 8GB/month, if I had to flip to unlimited data I'd probably either go postpaid VZW or jump ship to Xfinity Mobile, much as I dislike dealing with Comcast for internet already.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!

Duckman2008 posted:

No work discounts on any current plan.

I feel like I should check our employee discount portal tomorrow, because it's about the most expected thing in the world for them to have negotiated a discount for us that no longer applies to any of the current offerings.

We do autopay to a credit card for the points, but the autopay discount is now for only checking, debit, or the Verizon credit card, correct?

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!

Len posted:

I got an email offering me this, but the guy on the phone is quoting $120/mo which isn't a discount at all. Any ideas how to actually get this?

Edit: just went to the Verizon store and got it handled

That deal would probably finally get me to switch to an Unlimited plan, because it's right around the same price I'm currently paying for 2 lines on an 8GB Shared plan. Maybe I should pay closer attention to my emails from VZW.

Edit: No hotspot, no go. Looking at the plans, I'd probably be better off with Play More, since we already pay for Hulu and Disney+ anyway. But $140/month is still more than I'd like to pay, even taking out the $13/month for Hulu and $80/yr or whatever Disney gets us for now.

PitViper fucked around with this message at 18:00 on May 1, 2022

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!

Duckman2008 posted:

If you get the loyalty discount (it’s account based so it varies) the $140 goes down to $115.

How would I know if I get a loyalty discount? I've been a VZW subscriber for almost 22 years now :haw:

Between the included Hulu/D+ and the discount I'd get on a phone upgrade, that'd make switching plans worth it.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
A random question about porting numbers. If I'm porting out two lines from an account, is the same port pin used for both? I've successfully transferred one number that is verified working with the new carrier, but the second line says that a port pin is already active, and needs to be canceled before generating another.

Is this just a case of "wait 24-48 hours for the first port, then do the second"? FWIW, I created the PIN by calling and then using the app with the account owner line, but transferred a different line on the account successfully using that PIN.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!

Duckman2008 posted:

Same port pin should work, but worst case just ask for a second one, don’t worry about waiting 24 hours.

After posting, I dig deeper into the FAQs and found that answer. Both ports went without a hitch, thankfully!