Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Pham Nuwen posted:

But then as you say, in the 90s the broader public started talking about "hackers", and they always meant people who did bad poo poo on networks. Nerds got mad and tried to make "cracker" a thing instead, but it never worked.

Meh, it was earlier then that. My first exposure to this stuff was when I got my modem for my C64 back in 1985. At that time "crackers" were people who cracked software copy protection, and hacker had the dual meanings of "keyboard enthusiast" and "he who penetrates online security". Crackers were important, and this is where elaborate demo screens came from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Hacker meant "someone who makes furniture with an axe".

You just kind of hack at it until it's close enough to a chair.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

Squashy Nipples posted:

Meh, it was earlier then that. My first exposure to this stuff was when I got my modem for my C64 back in 1985. At that time "crackers" were people who cracked software copy protection, and hacker had the dual meanings of "keyboard enthusiast" and "he who penetrates online security". Crackers were important, and this is where elaborate demo screens came from.

When I was a kid, I liked the demos by the various groups just as much as the games.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
hacker is one who makes small hats such as the blockchain

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Scratch Monkey posted:

Stallman’s insistence on only using “pure” OS software and hardware is so loving stupid. He literally won’t connect to a wireless access point if it is at all proprietary.

https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/s/KoP3ZgGwMX

https://github.com/ddol/rre-rms
Open software I understand, but what's open hardware?

Pff
Aug 17, 2012
Sharing schematics and drivers (which are honorary hardware)

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

CannonFodder posted:

Open software I understand, but what's open hardware?

Now imagine that you wanted to modify your toaster...

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Pff posted:

Sharing schematics and drivers (which are honorary hardware)

And much like open source software, it comes with the assurance that the writer won't go after you for copyright or patent stuff. The world of IP Cores (the basic building blocks of chip design) is a cutthroat licensing jungle (e.g arm vs Qualcomm).

Aramis fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Apr 14, 2024

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
What this all means is that RMS uses the worst ancient piece of poo poo hardware.

AND YOU SHOULD TOO!

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I have a T400 kicking around in my closet and I've been thinking of putting libreboot and Trisquel on it for the full Stallman experience. Something about directly wiring up to the flash chip pins calls out to me.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Aramis posted:

And much like open source software, it comes with the assurance that the writer won't go after you for copyright or patent stuff. The world of IP Cores (the basic building blocks of chip design) is a cutthroat licensing jungle (e.g arm vs Qualcomm).
Does the RaspberryPI count as open hardware?

Or just a cheap yet powerful and modifiable unit?

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

CannonFodder posted:

Does the RaspberryPI count as open hardware?

Or just a cheap yet powerful and modifiable unit?

Maybe Arduinos are.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Spazzle posted:

Maybe Arduinos are.

Correct. Raspberry Pi: nope, Arduino: yes.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

just mine your own silicon guys

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Aramis posted:

Correct. Raspberry Pi: nope, Arduino: yes.

The only reason I was hedging on Arduinos is that the core components are presumably only available from individual chip companies like atmel or espressif.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Stallman would absolutely have preferred technology never progresses past the 90s so he could stay relevant. The dude has no idea how the world at large works and instead of learning he just lives in his bubble and insists everyone should do the same.

He's the guy shouting about how indoor plumbing is ruining future generations, he just got there late and so is yelling about software that most people even in the industry could no longer give the slightest fucks about.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Have we talked about how Stallman is a massive creep yet?

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
“Open-source hardware” is more about wether the code for the firmware on the various plcs in the thing is available

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

What this all means is that RMS uses the worst ancient piece of poo poo hardware.

AND YOU SHOULD TOO!

Yeah I once read about how his main method of online communication is to occasionally download his email (after connecting via an acceptably “open” access point) and then read it all in emacs

Scratch Monkey fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Apr 14, 2024

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I like the definition of hacker as someone who makes something do things it wasn't intended to do, or do its intended thing better.

Something can be software, hardware, or anything, not necessarily a computer.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
The only thing worth hacking is The Gibson, through an interface built by Ice-T

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Scratch Monkey posted:

“Open-source hardware” is more about wether the code for the firmware on the various plcs in the thing is available

Yeah I once read about how his main method of online communication is to occasionally download his email (after connecting via an acceptably “open” access point) and then read it all in emacs

IIRC he browses the web via an EMACS web to email proxy as well, or just directly SSHing to port 80/443 and grabbing the raw code (and as such, refuses to use any site that has JavaScript as a vital component).

Stallman has some good points re: proprietary software, and I can't pretend to be in complete disagreement with him (though practicality dictates that I don't go as far as he does), but he's definitely baggage on the side of the OSS/Free Software movement.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The BSD license already did what anyone actually needed from the GPL (protecting software authors). The GPL, meanwhile, completely failed to anticipate that distributing source would be really easy in the future and that binary distributors would be pracitcally useless even when forced to distribute source code. BSD already had a good Unix toolchain. Stallman rewrote the whole thing as GPL code for Linux as an act of self-absorbed fanaticism, totally redundant before it was even started.

abravemoose
Jul 2, 2021
My Richard Stallman story is that back around 2010 he gave a talk at my workplace.

He opened by ranting about how Bush and Obama are the same. Then drank six bottles of water. While comparing micro versus monolithic kernels he ran off stage to the top of the auditorium trying not piss himself. I wish I could remember the Q&A.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Pham Nuwen posted:

edit: btw I guess this is the last revision of the file before ESR got his grubby mitts on it? http://jargon-file.org/archive/jargon-1.5.0.dos.txt. Older versions have rather charming instructions at the beginning on how you should use FTP to keep the 2 main versions (at Stanford and MIT) updated if you want to make changes: http://jargon-file.org/archive/jargon-1.0.0.33.dos.txt

quote:

I had earlier narrowly avoided buying from a senior a ticket to the fourth-floor swimming pool (Boston Latin has only three stories, and no swimming pool at all), and assumed this was another scam. So of course I laughed in his face.

lol is this where the swimming pool on the roof joke in hackers came from

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Party Boat posted:

lol is this where the swimming pool on the roof joke in hackers came from

It's a pretty common prank for seniors to pull on freshman, at least here in the northeast.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I used to be involved with an open source art project and I saw the toxic effects Stallman et al had on the culture.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Neito posted:

It's a pretty common prank for seniors to pull on freshman, at least here in the northeast.

The actual prank, is making people think it was a prank, while there actually always was a swimming pool up there.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

The unspoken-but-obvious core of all of Stallman's beliefs is that computers never should've progressed beyond hobbyists and programmers having the ability to do things.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

dr_rat posted:

The actual prank, is making people think it was a prank, while there actually always was a swimming pool up there.

crumpling up the note the girl i like left in my locker and running away in tears when i interpret her suggestion to meet at the pool on the roof after school as a sick joke at my expense

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Scarodactyl posted:

I used to be involved with an open source art project and I saw the toxic effects Stallman et al had on the culture.

How so?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Scarodactyl posted:

is he the guy that ate his feet fungus

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Neito posted:

The unspoken-but-obvious core of all of Stallman's beliefs is that computers never should've progressed beyond hobbyists and programmers having the ability to do things.

I'm not so sure he's wrong about this, all things considered.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Every decent idea and opinion Stallman has are ideas and opinions other people also have. He's not some genius lone ranger who is, alone and by himself, protecting the ideas of "free software". This idea that if Stallman got hosed off that all efforts towards open source software would die that so many nerds have is goddamn insane hero worship bullshit, and it's a bee's dick away from techbros and Musk.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

My college's ACM chapter hosted Stallman for a talk and Q&A where he ate like half the cookies we got for ~100 people. Someone asked what they should do if they wanted to make a living working on Free Software (we prepped everyone beforehand to absolutely under no circumstances say the words "open source" or "Linux" instead of "GNU/Linux") and his response was basically "if you don't have kids you can just couchsurf and you really don't need to make money"

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Stallman is an awful person who is (on some points) technically correct, and him being put on a pedestal taught a lot of people a very bad lesson in how they should behave. As a result there was way too much of, and tolerance for, people being technically or ideologically correct while also being impractical and/or huge pricks. There were lots of great people too but the stallman-lites really dragged things down.
There were also a lot of people trying to push "libre" a a term because Stallman liked it even though it sounds bad and communicates nothing to anyone outside his orbit.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Scarodactyl posted:

There were also a lot of people trying to push "libre" a a term because Stallman liked it even though it sounds bad and communicates nothing to anyone outside his orbit.

Trying to create a distinction between "Free as in beer" vs "Free as in speech" was appallingly naïve in the first place. Anything past that point is just arguing semantics.

Suspect A
Jan 1, 2015

Nap Ghost
he's just a hacker hippy nerd but hippies are out of style weirdo sex perverts nowadays

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Aramis posted:

Trying to create a distinction between "Free as in beer" vs "Free as in speech" was appallingly naïve in the first place. Anything past that point is just arguing semantics.

I was never quite sure what the point of that was supposed to be.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Spazzle posted:

Being pedantic and useless.

A lot of these ideological premises rely on everyone doing and living exactly how the proposer does, and if you need to do anything else then actually no you're wrong.

And at the end of the day Stallman and his ilk aren't doing it for actual noble reasons, it almost entirely boils down to "I don't want anyone to tell meeeee what to doooo", your standard libertarian stance. This is not some noble endeavour for humanity, it's so he can get his own way.

If you want another citation for those predilections go read the other posts about how he treats women.

Edit: I'm gonna also clarify that a lot of people are doing good work for a good movement, it's just the hero worship of these toxic assholes is poisoning the whole loving well at a point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Spazzle posted:

Incoming overly cynical take: Mostly it's about trying to convince investors that it's not because you are doing open-source that you can't make money off of it.

I've also seen it used to cast shade on companies releasing Linux drivers as binary blobs and claiming that they are supporting OSS.