Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Old friend calls me out of the blue, is genuinely excited to get me to buy bitcoin, both coins and ETFs.

Dude gets a little manic at times, so I'm not concerned, but he keeps going on about "some big event" happening in two months, that is going to send Bitcoin soaring.
Is anything actually happening, or is this completely made up by people selling Bitcoin?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I think Bitcoin is stupid, a failed experiment. The only real use case for it is separating fools from their money.

Remember that old saw about how Joe Kennedy Senior pulled out of the stock market the same day that his shoe shine boy offered him stock advice? Well, when I opened my PayPal account, I saw that PAYPAL was selling crypto currency, that was my Joe Kennedy moment. Not that I ever had anything invested in crypto, but the realization that there is a bubble forming, and unqualified idiots are chasing it.

So on a lark I bought $100 worth at a little over 16k. And now it's up to like $270?
I've been trying to make this a lesson to my crypto-addled associates, but they just get psycho angry when I tell them that I'm glad that I DID NOT invest my lifesavings in Bitcoin.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Now that I think about, I don't even know if PayPal owns the joke Bitcoin investment that I made with the PayPal app... does anyone know if Paypal is actually holding Bitcoin for me?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Wait... is this thread a honeypot? Are assholes actually coming here for serious debate?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

auto repair shop posted:

There is no serious debate to be found here. Every nocoiner argument ever made in these threads has been thoroughly debunked. SA Nocoiners have been wrong for 15 years and counting. Ya'll are a laughing stock at this point tbf.

Why is this SO important to you?
Why do you need us so badly to believe you?

Can't you just exploit our ignorance to make extra money?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I'm not clicking on that, this is a text-base forum. Use your words like a grown up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Pham Nuwen posted:

But then as you say, in the 90s the broader public started talking about "hackers", and they always meant people who did bad poo poo on networks. Nerds got mad and tried to make "cracker" a thing instead, but it never worked.

Meh, it was earlier then that. My first exposure to this stuff was when I got my modem for my C64 back in 1985. At that time "crackers" were people who cracked software copy protection, and hacker had the dual meanings of "keyboard enthusiast" and "he who penetrates online security". Crackers were important, and this is where elaborate demo screens came from.