Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Often Abbreviated posted:

I've a work colleague who's ballooned his savings from ~£7000 to something like ~£30,000 over the past few weeks on one of the altcoins. I know this poo poo is gonna crash eventually but it's hard keeping out when you see someone else doing so well right in front of you.

Has he actually cashed out yet because otherwise his savings have gone from £7,000 to £0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

"sharing economy"

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

will you hodl me after

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Dmitri-9 posted:

Are there any cryptocurrencies that are inflationary?

does tether count

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

I love that actual gold rush tactics are working on internet gold

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Do smart contracts offer any kind of advantage for businesses over, say, a dynamic purchasing system to establish a contract framework? DPS is pretty common in the public sector and as far as I can tell offers all the benefits of smart contracts with the added bonus of not having to gently caress around with blockchain.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Often Abbreviated posted:

Back below $12,000 again. C'mon, crash you bastard!

Is the fluctuation around $12k due to automated buy orders triggering? Are buttcoiners sending wave after wave of men money to try and choke the bear?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Three Olives posted:

I just popped over to CNBC because they have kind of been pimping Bitcoin lately to see what they had to say and they have published an article on why Bitcoin isn't worthless by an expert:

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/16/skeptics-say-bitcoin-has-no-value-heres-why-theyre-wrong.html

It's really remarkable how many Bitcoin "experts" there are that have no loving clue about Bitcoin. Yep, go ahead and buy that doughnut with Bitcoin, I want to see it.

Wow I've been looking for a currency that can be used to buy both doughnuts and mansions, where do I sign?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Also we "lost" half your bitcoins in a "hack" but we've replaced them with tether so it's all cool right?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Homo Buttcoinus

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

lol

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

If you're kicking yourself over bitcoin, just wait until you hear what happened with my cryptocurrency partyboatcoin. I was literally giving them away, but then my man Jonny said he'd buy one off me for a beer. Now we're all worth millions of beers - an increase in value so huge it can't be represented by a number.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Being banned removes plat

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

I've listened to reply all on and off and their tech mystery episodes are usually great

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Trig Discipline posted:

RUNNING BACK TO CRYPTO FOR SAFETY

*hears shouting in the street*

wow, getting kind of rowdy out there. time to sell my house and move to kabul

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Pawn 17 posted:

How long until people start killing themselves over butts crashing? I mean, black monday was “only” a 20% drop and dudes were throwing themselves out windows.

Hard to feel sorry for the coiners going broke.

You can't do much damage throwing yourself from the ground level basement window

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

I just finished divabot's book (Attack of the Fifty Foot Blockchain) which in its later chapters goes into detail on blockchain as a technology and how likely it is to resolve a problem that a traditional centralised database doesn't (spoiler: not very). It also gave me a few good laughs. Plus you could class it as a business expense!

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Regarding business applications of blockchain tech, there are two big issues that any large organisation suffers from that blockchain is frequently pitched as a solution for when it doesn't really offer anything new over a traditional database.

The first is digitising information. The limiting factor stopping old paper records getting onto a searchable database isn't the underlying database technology, it's that scanning and verifying paper records is time consuming and tedious.

The second is data verification. The most recent example of this I've seen is Aeron, which promises to solve the problem of pilots faking their qualifications and records of hours flown by putting it on the blockchain. The problem with this should be obvious: if pilots are able to falsify the record that goes onto a centralised database, what's to stop them from falsifying one that goes onto the blockchain?

Both issues also have several factors where blockchain is significantly worse than a traditional database, the primary one being correcting mistakes or false data. If a computer scan and a hurried manual verification accidentally decided a handwritten 'a' was an 'e', correcting it is going to be a huge task, especially if it only comes to light way down the line. Similarly, correcting the bad data input by a modern day Frank Abagnale would be nigh on impossible without a full rollback, which would impact every record input since.

If blockchain seems like a silver bullet to a longstanding business issue, it almost certainly isn't. Ask yourself why existing database technology is failing to meet your needs and what blockchain will do differently. You'll almost certainly find that it doesn't resolve the problem and introduces several new ones of its own.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Minimalist Program posted:

I've got another, alternative investment for the savy goon investor to partake in.

I have insider info suggesting that long term MP's rear end is flat. Suggest y'all pump and dump it

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Just wait until the public finds out about bitcoin!

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

https://twitter.com/DIorioNathaniel/status/971487389095997441?s=19

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

The good thing about a blockchain prenup is by the time it processes you're guaranteed to be at least 18

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

The USD Reserve That Wasn't There

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Irish drug dealer loses £46m bitcoin codes he hid in fishing rod case

He got jailed for dealing cannabis and while he was inside his landlord cleared all his stuff out, including the fishing rod case that had his wallet codes hidden inside. 6,000 bitcoins lost forever!

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

In a crisis, people liquidate assets.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Chart looking like that flash game where you hit the penguin with a baseball bat

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Fleetwood Crack posted:

:wrong:

"I don't believe we shall ever have sound money again before we take the thing out of the hands of government, that is, we can't take it violently out of the hands of government, all we can do is by some sly roundabout way introduce something that they can't stop."

-F.A. Hayek

And what are Hayek's views on bitcoin specifically?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

I'm aware of when Hayek died, I just wanted you to say that your example of bitcoin support from Austrian school economists was limited to what a guy who died almost three decades ago probably would have thought lol

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

yr new gurlfrand! posted:

hodl on to your buttcoins

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Something Awful should get on board with NFTs. Every time you forward this special hello.jpeg to someone I'll torch an acre of rainforest

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

aware of dog posted:

I think someone posted earlier it was like $60 million in crypto and $9 million in cash

Is that the post tax gain? If not is the $9m cash enough to cover the liability from a $69m gain? I don't know the US tax code but if not, lol

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

According to coindesk Tether's market cap (which should be their reserves if they're telling the truth (lmao)) is $42B

https://www.coindesk.com/price/tether

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

I thought "trade for heroin" referred to silk road

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Yeah where I am tax laws are basically hammered out in case law because the actual legislation has fantastically helpful definitions like "trade includes any venture in the nature of trade". So if you're the first person to claim that the one million toilet rolls you bought were intended for personal use, or that if you think about it all the linen you bought to flip was a big risk so it was actually gambling, congratulations! You might end up in front of a judge who sets precedent based on your antics.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

crypto works the same way

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I've wondered if legally declaring Bitcoin to be gambling might be a way to regulate it (possibly out of existence). I just did a quick search, and it struck me that counting crypto as gambling could possibly unintentionally make it more friendly for cryptocultists, as there are apparently a bunch of rules for how to declare gambling wins and losses. And if you are considered a professional gambler then normal income tax applies.

I guess it's probably better to declare the whole thing a giant decentralized securities fraud and just be done with it entirely.

That's interesting - in UK tax law there's basically no such thing as a "professional" gambler, which means wins aren't taxable (but also losses aren't deductable).

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

CoolCab posted:

no, aristo haven. old boys going to the ponies and making/losing a fortune is so ingrained that of course the tax incentive structure is built around it.

The relevant case is Graham v Green (1925). As far as I'm aware Mr Graham wasn't an aristo but he did have enough cash to make plenty of bets on the horses and was good enough at it to make quite a bit of money doing it, to the extent that he didn't need (or have time for) any other employment. The taxman said "I'll have some of that" but in court the judge ruled that gambling wasn't trading and so the profits thereof were not subject to tax. It's probably a good thing that he did, as allowing gambling wins to count as trading profits would therefore mean that gambling stakes would be deductible trading expenses, making it very easy to manipulate your tax liability.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Cacafuego posted:

Help me out here. Can you explain what any of that means? In a single post and not in a huge series of 140 character tweets?

Tether had to submit 30 days of trading data to the NY Attorney General. This is a problem because their normal trading involves cooking the books, so they slammed a ton of dodgy poo poo through 31 days before the filing deadline in the hopes that they'd get 30 days of clean trading that they could submit, a bit like me getting ripshit on New Year's Eve before Dry January. The big crypto crashes of the last month have been against that backdrop, giving evidence to what we've all suspected for years - that the entire crypto marketplace is underpinned by the Tether printer going brrrrrr

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

poverty goat posted:

what actually is DeFi100

Get in on the ground floor! Send us money and you'll definitely* be a millionaire next week!

* lol bye idiot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

If (when?) tether goes down that'll trigger a pretty huge crash across all crypto, right?