Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Pistol_Pete posted:

All this feuding and plotting and backstabbing makes cryptocurrency mining sound like Eve Online, if the players had somehow all remortgaged their houses in order to invest in the game.

Ask the eve thread about the hats guy getting divorced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
Stat for the thread: bitcoin tops out at 7 transactions/second, right? Barclays UK payment acceptance peaked at 1087/second on black Friday and that's just a single country, not worldwide like bitcoin.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
Have they removed the ability to spam Eth with undeleteable adverts yet?

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

xtal posted:

Many, maybe you would like https://openbazaar.org/.

Also remember that darknet markets, including Silk Road, don't tend to be restricted to drugs, they merely permit them. There were (in honesty, much smaller) sections for books, artwork, collectibles and so on.

:airquote: artwork :airquote:

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
:catdrugs:

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
Most people with that much money would have an accountant who'd tell you it someone hosed with your stuff?

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Hammerite posted:

You should have treated the technology with a little respect IMO.

:golfclap:

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
So, McAfee's been arrested. So much for his whale-shagging ambitions. Odds of him being forced to eat (a) dick have gone up, though.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

kuddles posted:

You should know better by now. The number never goes down. It either goes up or it is readjusting itself to be in line with the current global market.

Chinese mining pools shut down, difficulty drops, GPU market gets hosed again?

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Fleetwood Crack posted:

It's honestly amusing to me that people still think coinbase is some kind of scam in 2020. Yes I sold $5 of btc and I'll let you know how long it takes to hit my bank.

JFYI, well-kept companies don’t perpetually sit on the edge of being booted out by their bank for being a shitshow.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
Hey Crack, where’s this vault, because the business accounts I’ve seen are registered at a loving WeWork shared space :laffo:

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Fleetwood Crack posted:

Why would a crypto-based charity deliberately build-in support to allow banks to seize people's funds?

Because it would be picked up as off-grid financial fuckery and destroyed by the government because there would be no way to prove its not terrorist funding or money laundering?

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Fleetwood Crack posted:

-I bought at 4,800
-btc increased to 8,800 as of this post
-i got a PS4 pro, using $300 of my btc and the rest USD
-my 800$ was already up to 1100$ at the time of purchase

Have you set aside the tax you’re going to need to pay on that?

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
Won’t a reduction in mining activity reduce transaction speed?

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
Block reward just halved, does that mean a whole slew of hardware just became uneconomical to mine with?

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
Tired: getting raided by the Police for having a cannabis grow-op in your roofspace
Wired: getting raided by the Police for having buttcoin miners in your roofspace

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
So, I’ve just learnt Filecoin is a thing. Who the hell would trust coiners to act as cloud storage for them in return for ~tokens~?!

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Silly Newbie posted:

Your debit card fraud experience is also outside the norm - typically with a debit card, once money is gone, it's gone, and it's up to you to prove you didn't make the transaction.

If you didn’t get pre-credited for a card dispute, that’s because you personally are dodgy as gently caress.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

nomad2020 posted:

You'll be able to appreciate the irony here more than most then.

Bitrex, like the stuff they put in household chemicals so people can’t “accidentally” swallow them?

E: lol, my employer has blocked payments to binance since the FCA dumped them. The public are Very Mad we won’t let them send their life savings to investment scammers.

Kerbtree fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Jul 6, 2021

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
So, speaking of dumb bubbles, turns out the guy who caused a bubble in coin collection in the 80s and got smacked hard by the FTC is at it again with video games

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Ad by Khad posted:

Kinda wondering what would happen if someone made a webcomic where all the characters are just cryptopunks and cryptokitties and cryptowhatevers and they are just copied and re-used and modified wholesale for whatever the gently caress the artists wants to do with them

edit: just a completely regular rear end webcomic, that does not mention cryptosporidium or its brain problems in any way

Sort of like what happened with pepe the frog except instead of a cool artist getting their work hijacked it's Visa

They couldn’t do anything.

What you ‘buy’ with an NFT is a sign that points at a thumbnail on a specific web server. Unless the artist specifically assigns you ownership of the original image you don’t actually own it.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Zil posted:

Not 100% bitcoin (gently caress you phone I will not capitalize that) related but I'm sure elon will find a way to work butts into it.

https://twitter.com/cullend/status/1431822189020450821

Just casually asking the racism-powered platonic ideal of an Ideas Guy to make something that needs to survive a hurricane. Bets on how many things you need to unscrew to get to a parachute?

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Hobologist posted:

I saw a post online that said in some Scottish election, a voter had written "wankers" over every party except the Green party, where he had written "not wankers." That counted as a vote.

And there’s also been official discussion of whether drawing a cock on one single candidate is indicating they’re a, well, cock, or it’s the voter “making their mark”.

E: if you want to spoil your ballot, be clear about it.

Kerbtree fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Sep 20, 2021

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
Looks like Coinbase took the hint and dropped Lend.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
So, someone figured out how to get techbros into Deviantart ‘Adoptables’?

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
A-hahahaha.

Dig up your landfill and make me rich!
gently caress off.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2021/12/13/half-a-billion-in-bitcoin-lost-in-the-dump

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
If anyone needs a decent explainer for both how crypto and NFTs work and also how they’re dumb to send to relatives and other non-tech folks, this is pretty decent and not too technical.

Kerbtree fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Dec 14, 2021

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Yeah, we get it, you SETI@home.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

MechaCrash posted:

Old baseball cards and old comic books are worth shitloads of money because nobody thought they'd be worth a drat thing, so nobody bothered holding on to them, so if you did then you've got one of the few copies floating around.

I do not know if there's a crypto equivalent of the comic book bubble, in which everybody tried to artificially recreate the circumstances with a million SPECIAL FIRST ISSUES and fancy foil covers that aren't worth poo poo today because they were massively overproduced and kept in careful condition, but I'm sure that crypto will manage to do something equally loving stupid, if not dumber.

There are people who got slapped by the law for creating artificial bubbles in various things actively doing it right now.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

fullroundaction posted:

“Nugen Coin Compensation Plan

Nugen Coin affiliates invest in Nugen Coin on the promise of an advertised ROI.

Free Mart are currently selling Nugen Coin to their affiliates for ~32.7 cents each.

The minimum Nugen Coin investment amount is $50.

Once invested in, ShopFreeMart locks up Nugen Coins for 18 months. This is done on the promise of a 200% ROI paid every 202 days.

While your coins are staked with NuGen you receive additional coins 4 times per day at the rate of .35% making the overall return per day .357%.

At that compounding rate the number of coins in your account will double in 202 days.

18 months is 547 days, equating to roughly 2.7 200% ROI 202 day cycles.

A 10% commission is paid on Nugen Coins invested in by personally recruited affiliates.”

Lmao at all you poors not getting in on the ground floor on this.

Oh hey, now we know what’s going on with that guys neighbour.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

priznat posted:

The whole concept of metaverse "land" being worth something is so insanely stupid. It's all virtual. It doesn't matter where it is. You could presumably just blip anywhere instantly. There is no real shortage of potential space you could occupy. It makes no loving sense aaaaaaa

The last time someone tried this - in Second Life - it literally rained dicks.

Kerbtree fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Aug 5, 2022

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

MarcusSA posted:

I’d kinda like to read the court ruling behind this.

Obviously they aren’t a bank but there was a story from years ago where the bank put a poo poo load of money into dudes account and he actually didn’t have to legally give it back and only did so because he wanted to give it back?

Pretty sure he made them aware of the error and the blew him off so he withdrew all the money and held onto it.

It’s going to depend a lot on the legal environment. In the UK there’s specific wording in the Theft Act about whether a similar payment was expected by the recipient which it could have been legitimately confused with and a good-faith effort must be made to return them.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

MechaCrash posted:

And this is a belief they fervently and unshakably hold until five seconds after someone fucks them over.

You would not believe how hard UK crypto people kick off about the regulator, ombudsman etc when they get told a scam case is shared blame or fully liable.

Complain if we stop them stepping in a cowpat, complain if we warn them and they do it anyway.

DeFi will end the banks my arse

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Spuckuk posted:

Thing is nowadays most miners underclock cards because of the price/performance of electricity. So a second hand mining card is likely to be perfectly fine

Nah, the GDDR runs hot as gently caress, the underclock is just an attempt to stop the things from outright cooking themselves to death.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Soapy_Bumslap posted:

I've always been a fan of "crypto will break the power of the evil major financial institutuons! Aah, major financial institutions are getting into crypto, nothing to worry about there!"

For years, I and others in my department have been having various wingnuts tell us:

-DeFi will destroy us. Better odds of us accidentally writing off all our credit card balances.

-The suspicious crypto cashout into a suspicious bank account by a suspicious person is totally legit, guys. Weirdly, they have major issues being able to able to satisfy AML proof to get it back. They all tell you it’s just pocket-money, though. They could absolutely have a guy send them 10 large of bitcoin right now

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Ups_rail posted:

I remember online poker being big 10 plus years ago. I always wondered why bitcoin didnt help bring it back.

Gambling regulators noticed.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

StoryTime posted:

Wait some of these cards are designed to run their memory at above water boiling point temperatures? :catstare: I've overclocked my cards since the 90's since it's just a fun thing for me to do, and I don't think I've ever had anything that survived 90°C before showing clear signs of distress or just shutting down.

Yep, and that’s why buying recent-gen mining gpus is a bad idea. You’ve got no idea how hard the poor little bastard’s been run and no easy way to tell.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Ups_rail posted:

is there anywhere i can learn how etheriums pow is/was different than bitcoin and why gpu s were the back bone

Primarily, the bit of maths they based the POW on took a ton of memory, which GPUs have and would make an ASIC prohibitively expensive.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

PITY BONER posted:

I am a laptop gamer. My last notebook had a 1050 and played Cyberpunk 2077 at 1080p on high with a few things set to ultra. I got a new notebook this year with a 12GB RX6800 and I can barely tell the difference in performance. I think I spent the first week wondering if something went wrong or if my GPU wasn't connected.

That must have been resolution-scaling like a fucker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

lynch_69 posted:

These executives aren't dumb, they know none of this poo poo has any actual use but they play along.

Yes they are, they’re just personally rich enough to be insulated from the vast majority of the effects of their failures. There’s basically no selective pressure unless you touch a handful of things that will drat you instantly (Theranos).

Kerbtree fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Sep 28, 2022