Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

SAY YOHO posted:

As far as I'm concerned, so long as they do not taint the purity of Dragon Quest they can do whatever the gently caress they want.

Plz do not reply with slime nfts of they exist :ohdear:

https://dragonquest.site/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
It's insane how many crypto exchanges there are. I know most of them probably aren't being used by actual people and are just fronts for money laundering but it feels like every day I'm hearing about the CEO of some random exchange named Blotto being arrested.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Isn't illegal money transmitting wire fraud? How is that only a maximum of 5 years?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I never thought to ask my bank "can I launder dirt money here?".

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Planet X posted:

Oh my god I started to read bits and pieces of this and it's just so nonsensical and cringeworthy

idk makes sense to me

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Looks fun!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GR9N0QXiPLo&t=238s

Reminder nobody actually knows what the reward for being top player even is.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Look the bar for crypto games is.... not high.

Also for the people paying to rent a Sewer Pass wouldn't any reward they win go to the owner of the pass after the event is over? Imagine spending thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours over the next 3 weeks playing this lovely mobile game rip off only to end up with nothing.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
They're also selling micro-transaction boosters for their game.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Oldstench posted:

Has anyone said Scam Bankman-Fraud yet?

If we implemented some kind of immutable database of all posts that anyone could check to see if a name pun had already been posted we could avoid having to ask. Perhaps call it the post-thread?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Ok I just looked up when they stopped printing $2 bills and apparently they still do! I guess it was just an urban legend that they had stopped printing them (they did between 1966 - 1976), I remember getting them as a gift and holding onto them as they were rare.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
How has nobody made a rip off of BYAC that is just slightly different ape JPEGs but for a fraction of the price? Dilute the market with apes.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Well there goes my get rich quick scheme.

But perhaps I could make a game the utilizes the blockchain to sell items that would be unique and usable in other games...

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Pirate Radar posted:

But how do you tell the difference between the real thing and the lovely knockoff?

What every time you look at an ape JPEG you don't verify it on the block chain to confirm it's the real deal? But what if you're looking at a copy or imitation??

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Wouldn't international shipping fees still be required to be paid by the sender and thus become baked into the purchasing price with Bitcoin?

Also if cryptocurrencies ever actually became common use every government on Earth will impose taxes on it. It's not like they're just going to shrug their shoulders and accept losing out on all income/sales taxes because it's on the blockchain.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I was referring to the original argument.

Strong Sauce posted:

I live in the united states, so its not a big deal, but if I were in singapore or japan, or maybe lets include Brazil or Argentina, its pretty expensive to buy stuff in USD on eBay. I literally have to jump through 3 layers of transaction fees and then have to deal with international shipping. Instead, with blockchain, I can use my local crypto exchange and get USDC with 0 fees and then buy on a 2% fee marketplace.

If you purchase something internationally using Bitcoin somebody still has to pay to have it shipped and that will just be baked into the original purchase price.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Blotto_Otter posted:

if you are assuming that something physical is being shipped, yes, correct. but per strong sauce's original post, that dude was arguing on behalf of a thing called "collector crypt", which I stupidly googled and appears to be a wanna-be freeport for poo poo like trading cards. so I think that dude was (poorly, not very coherently) arguing that you save on shipping costs not by passing them off to the seller (which would not actually save anything), but rather by not shipping anything at all

e: goes without saying that freeports are bad if you care about tax evasion and money laundering, but the key thing about them is that they are a legally-recognized thing in certain jurisdictions. i'm gonna climb out on a limb and assume that even if you assume the "collector crypt" guys are operating in good faith (lol), they are not actually in any kind of freeport and there is a host of legal and tax problems that would arise here under the best of circumstances

I think the part I quoted wasn't about Collector Crypt but he was giving an example about how using Bitcoin to purchase stuff internationally (e.g. on Ebay) you save money. Which I don't think is actually true at least in regards to shipping fees. You may be avoiding some exchange fees but you're probably supposed to report the purchase and pay the appropriate taxes (lol nobody is doing this).

I could be misreading all that, it's difficult to follow these weird hypotheticals crypto-bros dream up.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Blotto_Otter posted:

oh sure, they're all supposed to do that and they all don't. that would theoretically apply here as well on Collector Crypt items, and their terms of service do reiterate that point, and of course they'll all ignore it. but the funny thing about that, is that a key part of of any of these proposals to use blockchains in buying stuff (whether real stuff or pretend IOUs for stuff) involves putting all of their sales transactions on display via an immutable public ledger for all of the world's tax agents to inspect, if they ever feel motivated to do so

Putting aside all the myriad problems legally/technically that cryptocurrencies have if they were one day widely adopted as actual currency it would become regulated just as much as any other currency. It's supposed benefits (avoiding fees) are really just people committing tax fraud and current regulators not bothering to crack down on it.

Popete fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jan 27, 2023

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
lol buying rhodium off of a Slovakian Overstock-like website and getting scammed.

Edit: I want this all to be true

Popete fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jan 30, 2023

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
From one of the comments.

quote:

OOP made a post asking where to buy cabbages in bulk

Hey Tulsa, I need to buy bulk green cabbage for a project, probably in the range of 400-500 heads. Does anyone know of a place nearby where could find that many?

Was querried about why

Response Long story. My cousin just installed a heated pool in his backyard about a couple months ago. Last week we were drunk watching an OU game and decided gently caress it, what if we made a massive vat of cabbage soup in the pool (we'd drain it and clean it out before hand). package it in disposable containers, and give it away to anyone who wants it in Northeast Oklahoma.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
E: wrong thread

Popete fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Feb 1, 2023

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Foo Diddley posted:

well that 0.00042 BTC didn't last long

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Imagine how toxic you have to be that LoL wants nothing to do with you.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
A traditional investory billionaire old guy calling crypto poo poo is scene as a positive for crypto people. It means traditional investors are scared!

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I know crypto valuations are mostly bogus but every day I feel like I hear of a new coin worth $20 million dollars that was minted a week ago and has been scammed. How are there still people throwing millions of dollars into this garbage, it honestly feels like you have a 50% chance any day to lose it all.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

quote:

The council has previously denied the 37-year-old’s repeated requests to search the site due to environmental concerns but he has hatched a £10m hi-tech scheme backed by hedge fund money to find the digital assets.

VC will invest in a literal treasure hunt.

Also this guy finds the hard drive right as Bitcoin trades for $1.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Don't you all feel reassured when your investment platform Tweets reassurances that they totally still have all your money??

I don't see Vanguard doing that!

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

“Less than well-capitalized” is a pro-tier euphemism.

"continue as a going concern" is also pretty good.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Imagine if games all incorporated NFTs somehow, it would require some form of proc-gen to spit out thousands (millions) of "unique" items. At that point nobody cares anymore, if everything is unique it becomes uninteresting that you own ballistic helmet 367/10000. Also every game would probably end up looking like some horrible Kickstarter Unity store asset scam with no design coherency.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Streamers stand to make money off of selling NFTs from their streams which is why it seems to be a particularly popular concept among them. Their lively hood is already based off of video games this is just another avenue to increase that.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

drk posted:

oh its even dumber.... the software or smart contract or whatever this guy was using, the default behavior is to send everything to the burn pile

https://twitter.com/vitalitygrowth/status/1639391449333596162

Imagine trying to explain this to your parents and that this is the future of money.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

HootTheOwl posted:

GME has physically copies of games something you can't get online (or at release day). I don't know if that niche is big enough, but I'm real tired of downloading games only to have the market turn off and bricking my purchase

Depends on your source but ~90% of video game sales these days are digital. The market for selling physical discs just isn't big enough to support a brick and mortar operation, especially when you can also pre-order on Amazon and get it release day.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I think this is a new cycle that won't go away. A bunch of people on Reddit pumping a worthless stock based on hatred of institutional investors who then dump it but leave behind a die hard group who will go down with the ship and then it's on to the next one.

idk how you would regulate this if you could, you can't really stop people from being idiots.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

drk posted:

Crypto, once again, proves it is beyond parody

https://twitter.com/jbondwagon/status/1651028363220492288

later in the thread they seem to claim to have invented delivery of beverages

This makes it sound like the water is not treated in any manner just melted snow in a can.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
That Twitter thread might be the most convoluted way to buy water of all time.

The future is bright!

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

I really need to subscribe to HEI Network

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone ever seen a crypto ATM being used?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Lammasu posted:

What's OCATC?

On Cinema At the Cinema

https://www.heinetwork.tv/episode/the-man-with-the-iron-fists-and-flight/

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I thought Macaques was a crypto coin :cripes:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I had always just assumed it was something racist. The whole meme stock Reddit scene is real sketchy and not just from a financial perspective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I can't wait for the future of buying things where I have to check 100 different coins to figure out which one will give me the best purchasing power as they wildly fluctuate in value.