Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I've only encountered one person with any sizeable amount of bitcoin as an investment and they're pulling it out in chunks just fine. He's capped at 10k a day in trading, but he's still getting his funds out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Jose posted:

that kid who literally fried his brain mining bitcoin was a bit sad but also funny

Is mining something you have to do actively? I thought it was just a set it up and wait for your computer to catch fire sort of thing.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

They should build mining rigs in Alaska where it's cold! The Great Alaska Bitcoin Pipeline!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Or go back a little further and buy tons of Amazon stock. Our go back even further and invent Amazon!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Justin Tyme posted:

For real though if you got a bunch of buttcoin, couldn't you easily cash it out by buying tons of gold/silver/platinum jewelry on overstock.com seeing as that's like the only retail goods store that accepts buttcoins, then taking it to a cash4gold place to melt down? You'd assume a lot of loss, certainly.

Pffft, and have the price of gold go down to watch your profits slip away? Nice try, Scrooge McDuck.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

JediTalentAgent posted:

The government should secretly be trying to buy up all the bitcoin and then figure out something nefarious to do with it.

The government doesn't need to launder it's drug money.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

mojo1701a posted:

But has anyone said Bartcoin?

Bortcoin?! You got to be kidding me...

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Costa Rica or Panama are where I'm planning on retiring. Just need to learn Spanish and I'm good!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Let's put America back on the BTC standard.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

spasticColon posted:

Is there any chance or risk of a bitcoin crash triggering a stock market crash?

Probably not, unless you include GBTC. Maybe if it happens after more businesses start putting effort into accepting or using them. Right now though, no.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Soooooo, I apparently bought $1k worth of LiteCoin when I was drunk on Saturday night.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Your position is up like $300, why don't you LiQUiDaTe?

You're i the Stock and Trading thred with me. The original plan I was kicking around was to just take profits, if any, once a month.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

Sorry guys this all seems super hard to parse, but as of today, with Bitcoins being in the tens of thousands, what is he most secure and legitimate way to turn it into cash? Are their real people cashing out 5-6 bitcoins to the tune of 60grand in cash anywhere?

Also shout out to the goon that pointed out they don’t feel bad about missing out on the ground floor of Bitcoin because they would had their wallet stolen by now is amazing, there’s not way I wouldn’t have been on MtGox when it crashed

I know one in real life person that is transacting tens of thousands of Bitcoin liquidation trades per week with no problems at all. Aside from it taking a few business days to go from Bitcoin->Cash in his digital wallet->cash in his bank account there doesn't seem to be any issue at all.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Sickening posted:

My friend of a friend knows a guy who legit gets money out no problem.

I was my guy's banker though. So I know it does work, but you have to deal with their "processing times" and they limit the amount of transactions you can do per day.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Andy Dufresne posted:

I have found myself just watching the BTC/USD chart on gdax.com the last few days and it is just fascinating. For all the charts that get posted here of wild price swings I feel like those posts could be made every single day. In the last day and a half btc has been as low as $13,500 and as high as $17,000. 25% price swings aren't even newsworthy anymore.

The serious long term investor wouldn't worry about the day to day.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Hiigaran0 posted:

You can be drat sure the serious long term investor would care that an asset is fluctuating within a single day by 25% and has been for weeks.

Incorrect. Now that I have apparently joined the ranks of the long crypto I can speak with authority that I'm not worried about the wild swings I've encountered in the 27 hours I have been a part of this.

It should be noted that I also was not aware of my position until this morning when I checked the stock thread.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

SK I have been smiling about your accidental long play all day.

Only 363 days til you can sell it with gains taxed at LTCG!

Me too, honestly. My coworkers were teasing me about it as well. One of them told me to put my Litecoins in a mayonnaise jar and bury them in a vacant lot. I got a good chuckle out of that one.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

temple posted:

How did you guys get so smart at money trading stuff? I know bitcoin is a scam because its nerd fun money.

Unless you're an engineer or a doctor (they immediately know everything about everything they touch, just ask them) the same as everyone else. By reading, studying, or experience.

But as I prove almost every single month, having knowledge just makes your stupid decisions funnier.

Solice Kirsk fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Dec 11, 2017

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Moridin920 posted:

lol at anyone who trades at 100x margin they must have balls of steel

lol

These guys are gonna have all their poo poo frozen by the SEC i'm callin it now

SEC has no authority. That's a selling point.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Well this doesn't bode well with my new found hatred of fiat currency and mistrust of banking and government institutions. I do believe I will cash out of my Litecoins and invest in something more secure such as emeralds or bars of silver.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I plan on spending my LTC on Amazon in the form of solid gold jewelry in 4 months once the price has gone up 2000%.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Burt Sexual posted:

Can I have a baller bracelet of questionable lead composition?

I shall buy for you one of these.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

eonwe posted:

i guess at the moment he is up like about anyone

seems like a bad idea to me tho

Tell him to liquidate however much to pay down the debt and then ride the bubble with just his gains.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Burt Sexual posted:

Solice, I’ll take the cod piece. I was joking before

Done, but I'm shipping it to you filled with ants.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Bardeh posted:

Litecoin is now going nuts, presumably because Bitcoin has been getting a lot of media attention, and you can easily trade Litecoin on Coinbase. It's up like $100 or more in a day so far. However, as far as I can tell, Litecoin actually does a much better job at being a currency than Bitcoin with fast and cheap transactions.

E: holy poo poo I have Gdax open and it's just a huge frenzy with the price swinging $30-40 up and down every few minutes.

:clint: :homebrew:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Went to take my profits and was met with this!

Everything is going according to plan!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I'm in last place. Went 1-13. That's what happens in a dynasty league when you try to win the year before by trading most of your picks.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

punk rebel ecks posted:

How do I sell them directly? And to who?

Well, if it's anything like selling Legendaries on Diablo 2's closed servers......

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Doesn't the US look at BTC as property? So hacking a key and taking it very well could result in criminal charges. Even if the flag in the courtroom has fringes.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Yeah, I was gonna say that once you put in the trade it locks in the number of coins you bought. It just takes a while for them to show up. At least that's how it worked for me.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

You know the old saying, "When the Swedish banks are giving you stock advice it's time to get out."

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Fartbox posted:

I wish I was rich :unsmith:

I could buy so much stuff... So much cheese, for example. I could make women wear the cheese for me. Beautiful women in cheese-clothes. Then we'd go into a sauna and the cheese would melt

there'd be cheese everywhere :unsmith:

Sir, I'd like to subscribe to your newsletter.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Nessus posted:

Shotcoin: Backed By Lead

Wanna start "Plinkcoin?" We can say it's "the blockchain backed cryptocurrency for the avid marksman."

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I have met grown fully functional adults that think my bank prints money.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Vlonald Prump posted:

goons how hard can it be to get on this crypto gravy train? Let's make our own. Move over bitcoin, here comes Goonbux!!!

Goondoubloons or get the gently caress out.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I stand by my assumption that when the bubble actually bursts its not going to follow that graph at all. It'll be a total free fall over one day with no warning. That graph could be applied a few times to this thing and the speculation just keeps bringing it back up. Maybe a country will decide it's undermining it's own currency and declare it treasonous. That should do it.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Jikes posted:

Well, thread, I have just found that I have a whole bitcoin in a wallet that I forgot existed on an exchange that I thought had vaporized. If I had remembered it six weeks ago, I'd have 20k, lol! :suicide:

Offer me advice. I can't withdraw USD directly from Celery, and leaving it there isn't an option, they're shutting down and their security is such poo poo that I'm astonished the coin is even still there. I can transfer the balance, minus fees of course, to another exchange as either. Bitcoin, Litecoin, or Dogecoin. With Bitcoin fees through the roof, maybe Litecoin or :wtf: Dogecoin is a better value? And once I get it to my current exchange, do I cash out or do I, the proud owner of one whole Bitcoin, now HODL like a loving champ just to see what happens next?

I'm trying desperately to remember where we are in this dead cat bounce.

Bonus round: I get an equivalent amount of Bitcoin Cash on January 1st

Transfer to Litecoin then sell it off immediately. Move your BTC Cash to another exchange and rinse repeat, or let it ride if you want to keep gambling. Don't worry about fees since you basically just found a bunch of money in your jean's pocket.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Jikes posted:

Words of wisdom. There is no way I'm telling anyone I know in real life about this, it was stupid luck from a decision made two years ago but I know it'll get someone to put their money in it. Still, I'm tempted to keep like $500 or so in there, just to enjoy the crypto-investor ride. More thrills than Vegas!

Am I understanding this bitcoin fork thing correctly? I get the same amount of Bitcoin Cash on January 1st, and I can transfer it to my current exchange and cash it out just like the other internet play money? And if that's right, how the hell are the exchanges affording and surviving this hit? It's like a stock split to your bank balance.

It's surviving by witch majicks. Just take your money and run if you don't wanna keep gambling.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The Dregs posted:

A dude I know just cashed in his 401K to buy mining rigs. His pregnant wife quit her job to mind the machines. How hosed is he?

Please post the entire story in the Bad With Money thread please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Isn't Bitcoin about 11 years old?