Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Good luck getting anyone to give you $6000 for one Bitcoin though.

??? Just go to coinbase or something and sell it for real money. Cashing out one or two bitcoins is easy, its the people who think they are going to cash out hundreds that are going to have trouble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

If bitcoin isn't a currency then how was I able to buy something off the internet with it??

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

This is all stupid and dumb but it has made me money so I dunno what to think any more.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

gary oldmans diary posted:

it would be nice if there was a coin that put a really low requirement on blockchain verification accuracy (hashes a hundredth as difficult as they currently are) but also include foldingathome protein folding data in there encoded in a way that the work can be quickly verified by the next person verifying a block. then its not simply waste. and even if you dont get your block verification submitted in first to win the coin you at least did some nice foldingathome work that is still useful

It sounds like you want Gridcoin.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

Bitcoin sucks for buying drugs, i would rather pay with ethereum because then I would only pay like 10 cents in fees instead of 5 bucks. Plus it would go through way faster.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

Yea nicehash was hacked. Sucks for the people who didn't transfer out.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

nexous posted:

Is that $7,000 still in an exchange or in your bank account? Honestly curious if you are able to get it into actual USD.

Lol dude its not 2011 any more. Coinbase exists.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

The real stupid part is that even though buttcoin has dropped a ton, I am still up multiple times my original amount. People are so stupid for buying in at the peak. Like 4 months ago, people were going crazy when BTC broke 10k and now that it is back under, people act like the sky is falling.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

Boon posted:

Someone help me out here.

If Tether was true to their word, that would mean that some entity is currently holding $1+ billion. That kind of capital needs to legally reside somewhere and it would be noticable. Someone help me connect the non-existent dots.

Also, how does Tether buy back the coins issued? If it's acting as a central bank and increasing the money supply, without the ability to buy it back it'll only greatly accelerate the collapse once it loses its credibility lol

Lol the money doesn't exist. At one point they were going to do an audit which for that is as simple as going 'yep they have X dollars in a real bank account'. Guess what? It never happened.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

Some of the technology behind these coins is legitimate but I also don't think any large institutions would use blockchain technology that they don't totally control.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

Everyone knows Pegglecoins are the future of cryptocurrency anyway. Who wouldn't want to use the cryptocurrenccy used by ultimate peggle masters all over the world?

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

Tether rules because I cant wait for all of the people playing the fluctuations to lose their poo poo when tether collapses. I have a decent amount of skin in the game but I still can't wait for it to collapse because the drama is amazing.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

Fallows posted:

This guy who chills at my work been investing into bitcoin and just today he told me about how he just pumped a few grand into tron coins and they are 10 cent now and guaranteed to be worth at least 20k by 2020.

Holy poo poo this guy needs to read the drat whitepaper. Tron is a shitcoin but it did make me 2k worth of ethereum when I dumped it. The reason it hit 30 cents and dropped is because it is a pointless shitcoin that has no reason to exist and uses a copy/pasted whitepaper.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

Nvidia GPUs really do run amazing. They sit at like 50% fan speed while mining.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

Its all about that Pegglecoin anyway.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

I can't imagine it will drop under 1k because thats cheap enough for people to buy a bitcoin 'just in case'.

Anyway everyone with a brain knows that dogecoin is the cryptocurrency you want to have. In the year 2050, dogecoin will be the worlds global currency.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

LOL if you aren't holding a giant stack of dogecoin. Do you guys want to be poor forever?

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

Do I sell all my shitcoins and cash out? I want to turn fake internet money into real money.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

ymgve posted:

no, ride this until it's a million usd which should happen...next thursday

Nah I'm out when my parents call me up and ask how to buy a bitcoin.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

I sold like 1/4 my crap last night. Better to make a little money before this whole thing collapses then wait for the tiny chance it might skyrocket. Of course buttcoin goes up like 2k overnight but whatever this shits manipulated and dumb.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

I dont get why people think its hard to cash out. You literally just send it to coinbase and do a bank transfer. Do people also find paying bills hard or sending money using a money order hard? Anyway I turned a bunch of shitcoins into a new game server plus tax money to cover it.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

Thanks! Really excited to actually make even a cent out of this.

Yea people are dumb if they think they can sell crypto and not give the IRS their due.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

all the stuff you can buy directly with btc is also illegal because otherwise people would rather just have real money dollars if they dont have to worry about legality.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

I was trying to figure out how to use bitpay but it seems like a bunch of effort too. All of these services kind of suck. The easiest way to actually cash out your buttcoins would be to buy a bunch of drugs from the darknet and then resell them.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

Living in the city sucks just saying

buy an estate out in the country

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

You should have invested in dogecoin instead

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

lol if you aren't mining pegglecoin though

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

Turned a bunch of crap I got for nearly free into a Ryzen 5950x so I'm pretty happy about that :3

Anyway mine pegglecoin

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

Its fine we know you got burned on it or something which is why you hate it so much

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

Waltzing Along posted:

We already have that. It's called money.

hurrr durr just use money guys its totally the exact same thing

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

Just mine Pegglecoin and contribute to the heat death of the universe.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

Man you guys need to look up the definition of a ponzi scheme. Bitcoin is stupid and a waste of power but by definition it is not a ponzi scheme.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

Yea you are right about that, the price manipulation is artificial. We were just thinking of different things and I misunderstood you.

I don't give a gently caress about cryptocurrency but I think the blockchain technology itself is really neat. The problem is that no one has figured out a good use other then making lovely versions of things that already exist. We have ACH transfers and replicated databases have existed forever so maybe people need to stop trying to make another shitcoin and make something useful for once.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

tango alpha delta posted:

blockchain technology is some first year computer science amateur poo poo, man. it's an encrypted linked list, if you want to get technical. all the code that makes it work was cobbled together from other better programmers.

So the guy stole all the node code that makes the decentralized part work? That's hilarious.

Guess it makes sense, we have had torrents for forever.

I have followed a basic how to make a blockchain tutorial in python and that part was easy. It was the networking stuff that was tougher to figure out.

Stealthgerbil fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Feb 6, 2021

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

buttcoin rules because its how you buy drugs from the internet though.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

I think at this point, the chance of bitcoin becoming worthless or even dropping under like $1k USD is pretty much impossible. Its never going to be worthless unless someone cracks the blockchain itself. Just too many people who would buy a 1k buttcoin.

Calling it a ponzi is a slight stretch although Tango is right that it is being used to defraud people. Its more like an ongoing repeated pump and dump scheme. The price keeps going up because groups of crypto whales who got in super early are artificially driving the price and getting regular investors to jump in out of fear of missing out. Once the in group (the crypto whales) cash out, they are going to let the price fall and leave people holding expensive buttcoins. Then this new group of bagholders helps shill the price up again for the next wave because they want to recoup their investments. The curent spike in price started artificially and is now carried by hype and it is going to drop out like it did back in early 2018, leaving a lot of people holding the bag. You can see this cycle happen a bunch throughout buttcoin and other crypto's history. Also this is like 99% of altcoins as well.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

Rectal Death Adept posted:

But you are right, it will never be worthless because of how many people have gone insane over it. Even if ShitcoinSupreme is $100,000/coin and accepted everywhere instantly you'll have 2040 era hipsters ironically running bitcoin mining rigs and trading them to the true believers that are still around.

Yup this is what I meant. I didn't mean it would never go to zero because it has a useful purpose, more like it will never go to zero because of crazy people and name recognition.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

if the government actually cared about that, they would ban buttcoin.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

There are fast decentralized cryptocurrencies that dont use mining but also like why fuckin bother. Just use venmo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

If you dont have any pegglecoin you are missing out though