Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

For some reason the crappy furry video chat game called Second Life is still a thing that still exists and I got to wonder. There's probably some folks that have lived drat near half their adult lives just playing Second Life and some of them are probably rich as gently caress in the game. Like there's probably some top 1%ers of Second Life feeling superior to everybody and looking down on all the poors flying around.

Gotta be really fun being super rich in a video chat game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
https://my.mixtape.moe/dbdnln.webm

myDad fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Oct 24, 2017

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
donno but I got real addicted to gambling in secondlife for a minute

also I systematically griffed the poo poo out of the game for a long time

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

it's the bees knees, daddy-o

Mokbek
Dec 19, 2014

Call Me The Shocker
Being rich in Second Life means you are rich in real life since you can directly convert the in-game currency into USD and vice versa.

There's a guy who used to be a plumber in real life who became an actual real life millionaire by making and selling sex animations in-game.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

Mokbek posted:

There's a guy who used to be a plumber in real life who became an actual real life millionaire by making and selling sex animations in-game.

real salt of the earth type

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mokbek posted:

Being rich in Second Life means you are rich in real life since you can directly convert the in-game currency into USD and vice versa.

I knew a weird furry guy who did the same by selling tricked out animal genitals that you could wear and they had buttons you could push to make them spray cum etc

well I don't think he was a millionaire but he def made bank

also I knew some guys who heisted this virtual bank and made off with some stuff

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I never played it but I seriously loved the SA grief thread on it

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
Second Life has around ten times as many people logged in at any one time as somethingawful does right now. Despite it being a million years old.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I made $300,000 selling digitally animated raccoon dicks in Second Life AMA

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
You can turn the sun on and off all day long if you want. That's what it's like to be rich in Second Life.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I can't say I've ever thought of second life op

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

hard to have a second life when you don't have the first

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
My mom plays second life, I hope she is Rich in-game because she is broke irl

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

JediTalentAgent posted:

You can turn the sun on and off all day long if you want. That's what it's like to be rich in Second Life.

I once made a thread back in probably 2011 or 2012, all about lovely tv-isms with regards to video games (like that Prince of Persia sequence in "Life" :wtc:) but I can't find it.

Anyway, I remember the thread title involving turning the sun on and off.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

i think if you're super rich in second life you're actually just rich, you can take your money out and put in there pretty easily

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
is it more or less cool than being an EVE Online trillionaire?

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Cantaloupe posted:

She buys animated animal genitals?

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Rutibex posted:

Depends on what you find sexier. Ultra realistic raccoon dick textures or spreadsheets.

Gungan Sex Toys
Jun 21, 2017
I spent my middle-school years making replicas of Quake weapons in second life.

how you like them apples

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
I wish I could have one of those tentacle gently caress chairs in irl

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

there was a goon island called w-hat that gave out costumes that made you llook like a giant spider

i got that and trolled some furry role players. whole thing was probably 2 hours from start to finish. thats my second life story

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Gungan Sex Toys posted:

I spent my middle-school years making replicas of Quake weapons in second life.

how you like them apples

With that username I'd have expected something different

Gungan Sex Toys
Jun 21, 2017

Gridlocked posted:

With that username I'd have expected something different

I didn't yet have a keen eye for gungan sex paraphernalia. I now hold nothing but regret and contempt for my ill-informed pursuits.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Cantaloupe posted:

your mother is probably a cybersex worker sorry

its a lot better than being an actual prostitute but its still pretty demeaning, you might want to give her some money or something

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Blue Raider posted:

there was a goon island called w-hat that gave out costumes that made you llook like a giant spider

i got that and trolled some furry role players. whole thing was probably 2 hours from start to finish. thats my second life story

you're welcome

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I used to clean a small police station at night and one of the lady dispatchers would be having virtual on second life most of her shift. Thankfully it was the dayshift that had to mop that room.

Blue Raider posted:

That summarizes my second life experiences.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

soy posted:

you're welcome

its cool theres somebody beside me that remembers that. it has to have been nearly 10 years ago

Arthe Xavier
Apr 22, 2007

Artificial Stupidity

Rutibex posted:

Less, since Second Life is just random weirdness while EVE Online is a real, living space-opera that shows the side to interstellar warfare most sci-fi shows / movies don't: that it's boring as gently caress 95% of the time.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Blue Raider posted:

its cool theres somebody beside me that remembers that. it has to have been nearly 10 years ago

yep, more I think.. I vaguely remember that being around 2005-2006

all those guys that ran that place still hang out on Skype I think, maybe they've finally upgraded to discord at this point

I kind of just helped and used it as a base to grief out of

one of my bans from this very forum was simply for posting about a griefing exploit I did, because it was so offensive... I also got put into some virtual newspaper and branded a virtual terrorist, and linden labs tried to sue me.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
I'm sorry to tell you this OP but those people are living a lie.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I legitimately miss Tringo :negative:

EDIT: Oh, weird, I actually didn't realize that it was a game outside of SL. Neat!

In that case, gently caress SL!

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Oct 24, 2017

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Dolphin posted:

I never played it but I seriously loved the SA grief thread on it

:same:

k\o\w
Sep 11, 2003

Cuz's Uptown Barbeque
Cabins & Resort
"This Is Hit!"

soy posted:

yep, more I think.. I vaguely remember that being around 2005-2006

all those guys that ran that place still hang out on Skype I think, maybe they've finally upgraded to discord at this point

I kind of just helped and used it as a base to grief out of

one of my bans from this very forum was simply for posting about a griefing exploit I did, because it was so offensive... I also got put into some virtual newspaper and branded a virtual terrorist, and linden labs tried to sue me.

We had some good times :v

I discovered SL 12 years ago, on these very forums. I really liked it, spent like 20 hours a day playing that poo poo and learned that I had a penchant for creating fun & dramatic situations.

I registered January '05, by the middle of the year I was permanently banned from the game and had to use various tricks to get back in, by the end of that year I was getting celebrated for my work: http://alphavilleherald.com/2005/12/avatar_of_the_y-4.html

I went on to do some pretty revolutionary things: https://www.engadget.com/2006/12/20/second-life-millionaire-plagued-with-peckers/

My shenanigans resulted in a perma ban from this forum, the reversal of it, and ultimately the discussion of SL was banned entirely from the SA forums.

I was briefly filthy rich in SL, as I had discovered an exploit to take money from anyone, including nonexistent players, which allowed me to generate infinite money: http://sapinski.com/2007/08/23/philip-linden-wow-that-is-a-really-big-problem/

I also released loads of 'illegal' over-sized objects in Second Life which has resulted in me being listed as the 'creator' on a decent chunk of SL's content: https://web.archive.org/web/20091107210710/http://www.secondlifeinsider.com/2007/08/22/plastic-duck-our-hero-a-case-for-megaprims/

At the end of '06 I was interviewed by Tim Guest and featured as an antagonist in his book Second Lives: https://www.amazon.com/Second-Lives-Journey-Through-Virtual/dp/1400065356

Apparently David Fincher scored the rights to the screenplay, and almost made a movie starring Brad Pitt and Sacha Baron Cohen: http://nwn.blogs.com/nwn/2010/07/new-world-cinema-social-network.html

It was a lot of fun, I ended up getting a job in game dev at 19 out of it which allowed me to skip the whole college thing and landed me some pretty sweet jobs.

k\o\w fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Oct 24, 2017

cauxist
Feb 6, 2005
There's a dude I know making maybe 200k USD from virtual clothing. There's a handful of goons left in game. You can find them here: http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Baku/109/221/52

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I'm genuinely surprised this game is still going.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

k\o\w posted:

My shenanigans resulted in a perma ban from this forum, the reversal of it, and ultimately the discussion of SL was banned entirely from the SA forums.

hah! haven't seen you around in forever

I forgot about it being banned from SA forums. No surprise that a game in which there is really nothing to do but grief/sperg that goons would have taken it a bit overboard.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
You bang furies in your virtual mansion. Boom spoiled it. Oh and some strange creature will sneak in to watch too.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
i dont even know what it's like to be rich in my first life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owers
Nov 13, 2004

I want to be lean and mean.
Hanging out with goons in w-hat was probably one of the best online experiences I've had. So many funny, creative, and colourful people. I made a little bit of money selling crap on the slexchange, but I got banned before I could exchange any of it for real bux. When so many people take Second Life so literally, you can't help but make fun of them.

• Locked thread