Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i might be able to get one of these next year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

hmhb fan posted:

I so nearly gave him credit for making some kind of ironic statement here about the flawed but totemic success story he lives in, crushed by an outdated ideology and hyper-nationalism. But then I checked who wrote it. London's long goodbye is a cautionary tale.

Being nationalistic is actually good if you're a LIBERAL DEMOCRACY, the only ideology at the end of history

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

fart simpson posted:

i’d also love to own my own turkish national but i don’t have the garden space to let him run around

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/PhilippineStar/status/1772050765596807205?t=d4H1P6q0mkfTeamFPINYjA&s=19

Hmm maybe education should be universally free?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

fart simpson posted:

What's it take to do that?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Psh. Maybe if you're white. :laugh:

Flournival Dixon
Jan 29, 2024
i dont care about being chinese but i am kinda sad that im so bad at learning languages

it'd be nice to be able to go to a country with a future, i've got a good enough degree i could probably swing it if i could learn mandarin or whatever

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Update on the geopolitical chess moves between China and US in east asia. Per Chinese podcast all these interactions are leading to a high point around 520 (DPP Lei inauguration speech on May 20th).

Kinmen fisherman death dispute:
this one is on a pause right now because Taiwan side has refused to release the dead bodies and will do a show trail on the Taiwan coastguards and then give them a slap on the twist or "guilty of misplacing evidence" or some bullshit.

So the mainland coastguard's bigger ships have been salami slicing the portal duty of Kinmen waterway and ignoring the medium line. But DPP party doesn't care about Kinmen anyway, this electoral district is a solid KMT district. They don't care if mainland actually seize the island. Neither side release much news but one thing to keep an eye on is whether Chinese coastguard ship will show up near Penghu island, which is a much more strategically important island than Kinmen and Matsu.

DPP attitude in this dispute suddenly turn cold and said "no apology and no compensation" was obviously when they got the head nod and backing from the US. But Kinmen is way too close to the mainland coast, the US naval ships are not going to Kinmen. So they are pressing in the Philippines direction to help release Taiwanese pressure. Hence both dispute will have heightened intensity by May.

Sino-Philippines SCS reef dispute:
I can't keep up with these reef names, their Chinese and English names don't match each other. All you need to know is Chinese has control on one of reef but hasn't build anything yet (because ones China built it, the Sino-Philippines relationship will sour for a long time.) Philippine has kind of control of another reef in the way of grounding a junk ship on it. And Chinese coastguard ships have control of the water outside the reef and will not allow construction material to be brought in to reinforce the rotting hull. The logic is China has more patience and they will wait for the ship to rot away one day and the Filipino Marines squatting on the ship would have to leave.

This has going on for years but Philippines will make the resupply a show whenever the US told them to. So Chinese ships use bigger water gun to shoot away the Philippines civilian ships. Blinken just visited PH like 5 days ago and basically told little Macros to put up a bigger show in the sea so that's what they have done. The weird thing is they got all these ship-on-ship bumper ship footage but there are not a lot of western reporting on them. Maybe the western press are too busy with Middle East or somebody in White House doesn't want to open a 3rd front just yet, I don't know. Another thing is the US naval ships are not showing up to support the Philippines in solidarity. I don't not sure how the US plan to escalate.

And then a few days ago 34 Filipinos landed on a new reef, "lawfully handled by Chinese coast guard"
https://x.com/globaltimesnews/status/1770749154836336715?s=20

This is another reef I have never heard of, didn't even know it was in dispute. Anyway from the way the article is phrased, the Philippines side probably wanted to land on it, raise a flag, do a photo op and go home. But they got detained by Chinese coast guard and probably got some fine tickets, that's why this event didn't make any English news. I can't find it on non Chinese source. Here is at least a tween to show the event exist
https://x.com/IndoPac_Info/status/1771110651576148375?s=20

edit. also former KMT president Ma will go to mainland again next month before Lai's inarguration.
https://x.com/taipei_times/status/1772116327832211884?s=20
---
Anyway, if the water canon shooting continue pass May, without Marcos finding an excuse to ease on the gas , then I think it will reminiscence first phase of the Sino-India border dispute in Pangong lake in 2020?

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 16:29 on Mar 25, 2024

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

w00t

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Flournival Dixon posted:

i dont care about being chinese but i am kinda sad that im so bad at learning languages

it'd be nice to be able to go to a country with a future, i've got a good enough degree i could probably swing it if i could learn mandarin or whatever

I am also bad at language acquisition, but if you practice a little every day, even the wormiest brain will learn.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

ikanreed posted:

I am also bad at language acquisition, but if you practice a little every day, even the wormiest brain will learn.

don’t use Duolingo though

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/pstAsiatech/status/1772260612652834886

Shock and surprise that all the financial credit headed towards industry is causing this result.

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

hopefully the tech industry growth helps the job market for fresh college grads, things have been sounding kind of rough

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Eminent DNS posted:

Quick update on my grassroots netizen ("netroots") campaign to get Stringent unbanned by posting "free Stringent" in this thread that so far only fart Simpson participated in:

I successfully got Stringent unbanned

Here's the IA report if anyone's curious:
"Note: a user in this thread (Stringent) was previously banned for something which is not actually against the rules in D&D (denying genocide). Accordingly, he is being unbanned."

thanks for beating the drum man, i really appreciate it.

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

Stringent posted:

you still have the banned avatar for me lol

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
yeah i hope i get to keep it

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

the posting dead

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Fun Shoe

Stringent posted:

are there still any usernames with forums cancer? or did they all get fixed

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

I have strong erections for Israel.
Strong, pathetic erections.

Stringent posted:

you should edit in a (USER WAS UNBANNED FOR THIS POST) into that post and have the link go to the holodomor thread

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Megamissen posted:

lol same. that's why i was complaining about it!

Stringent posted:

this is like a cloak of camouflage for you to start post poo poo like 'hamas ftw' in dnd.

edit in a fake [User was banned for this Post] and link it to your fav threads

crepeface has issued a correction as of 03:06 on Mar 26, 2024

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

BEAR GRYLLZ posted:

you should edit in a (USER WAS UNBANNED FOR THIS POST) into that post and have the link go to the holodomor thread

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

ikanreed posted:

What's it take to do that?

im going to apply via marriage. if you live with a chinese spouse in china for 5 years you can get it. the other main ways are by having a seriously high paying job and meeting certain paid tax thresholds for 4+ consecutive years, or by having some sort of key skills expertise or a phd. last way is via investment but you need to have invested like multiple millions of dollars into chinese companies for 3 straight years

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Stringent posted:

He is Risen!

Eminent DNS
May 28, 2007

Stringent posted:

Your welcome, posting pal

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Lol Carl

https://twitter.com/CarlZha/status/1772171486520082607?t=uN2_YOYOj7YSM5gj-KW4mA&s=19

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Bali's Kuta beach is where they executed tens of thousands of peasants, workers, communist sympathizers and non violent communists. Makes you think.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
lol truly a dudes rock story

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/SpokespersonCHN/status/1772280957518970987?t=qWrc8ZwG11ue-0y5PzaUOA&s=19

She's right and the community notes are coping

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Can we note the note to say nine dash line is Taiwan policy or whatever

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The note has been defeated

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

I think it’s quite easy to compare China of 2024 with Germany 1914. Both are very prosperous industrial countries, fast emerging compared to the best countries of their time. The big difference is that in China there is already a demographic problem. Germany in 1914 had big families. China has decades of one child politics. If the whole country is dependent on one child to get grandchildren, then the society will think thrice before it shout hurra to a war. Here is a big difference between China and Russia, also.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Trabisnikof posted:

I think it’s quite easy to compare China of 2024 with Germany 1914. Both are very prosperous industrial countries, fast emerging compared to the best countries of their time. The big difference is that in China there is already a demographic problem. Germany in 1914 had big families. China has decades of one child politics. If the whole country is dependent on one child to get grandchildren, then the society will think thrice before it shout hurra to a war. Here is a big difference between China and Russia, also.

SYQ

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

stephenthinkpad posted:

Update on the geopolitical chess moves between China and US in east asia. Per Chinese podcast all these interactions are leading to a high point around 520 (DPP Lei inauguration speech on May 20th).

Kinmen fisherman death dispute:
this one is on a pause right now because Taiwan side has refused to release the dead bodies and will do a show trail on the Taiwan coastguards and then give them a slap on the twist or "guilty of misplacing evidence" or some bullshit.

So the mainland coastguard's bigger ships have been salami slicing the portal duty of Kinmen waterway and ignoring the medium line. But DPP party doesn't care about Kinmen anyway, this electoral district is a solid KMT district. They don't care if mainland actually seize the island. Neither side release much news but one thing to keep an eye on is whether Chinese coastguard ship will show up near Penghu island, which is a much more strategically important island than Kinmen and Matsu.

DPP attitude in this dispute suddenly turn cold and said "no apology and no compensation" was obviously when they got the head nod and backing from the US. But Kinmen is way too close to the mainland coast, the US naval ships are not going to Kinmen. So they are pressing in the Philippines direction to help release Taiwanese pressure. Hence both dispute will have heightened intensity by May.

Sino-Philippines SCS reef dispute:
I can't keep up with these reef names, their Chinese and English names don't match each other. All you need to know is Chinese has control on one of reef but hasn't build anything yet (because ones China built it, the Sino-Philippines relationship will sour for a long time.) Philippine has kind of control of another reef in the way of grounding a junk ship on it. And Chinese coastguard ships have control of the water outside the reef and will not allow construction material to be brought in to reinforce the rotting hull. The logic is China has more patience and they will wait for the ship to rot away one day and the Filipino Marines squatting on the ship would have to leave.

This has going on for years but Philippines will make the resupply a show whenever the US told them to. So Chinese ships use bigger water gun to shoot away the Philippines civilian ships. Blinken just visited PH like 5 days ago and basically told little Macros to put up a bigger show in the sea so that's what they have done. The weird thing is they got all these ship-on-ship bumper ship footage but there are not a lot of western reporting on them. Maybe the western press are too busy with Middle East or somebody in White House doesn't want to open a 3rd front just yet, I don't know. Another thing is the US naval ships are not showing up to support the Philippines in solidarity. I don't not sure how the US plan to escalate.

And then a few days ago 34 Filipinos landed on a new reef, "lawfully handled by Chinese coast guard"
https://x.com/globaltimesnews/status/1770749154836336715?s=20

This is another reef I have never heard of, didn't even know it was in dispute. Anyway from the way the article is phrased, the Philippines side probably wanted to land on it, raise a flag, do a photo op and go home. But they got detained by Chinese coast guard and probably got some fine tickets, that's why this event didn't make any English news. I can't find it on non Chinese source. Here is at least a tween to show the event exist
https://x.com/IndoPac_Info/status/1771110651576148375?s=20

edit. also former KMT president Ma will go to mainland again next month before Lai's inarguration.
https://x.com/taipei_times/status/1772116327832211884?s=20
---
Anyway, if the water canon shooting continue pass May, without Marcos finding an excuse to ease on the gas , then I think it will reminiscence first phase of the Sino-India border dispute in Pangong lake in 2020?

Just wanna thank you for these sorts of posts. Its nice to get this sort of detail from another side of the world not really covered by western press

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i wasnt expecting james palmers grandfather of all people to back up my contrarian interpretation of lolita as pedoshit disguised as art via the aggressive use of ambiguous pretty prose but welp ill take it

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Some Guy TT posted:

i wasnt expecting james palmers grandfather of all people to back up my contrarian interpretation of lolita as pedoshit disguised as art via the aggressive use of ambiguous pretty prose but welp ill take it

would that vera had not stopped him from throwing the manuscript in the fireplace lmao

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
So could anyone expand on how the Philippines has broken its commitments in the SCS?

Stringent posted:

I sent a PM. We must defend the right to deny genocides of our choosing!

Megamissen posted:

Mark of pride

BULBASAUR posted:

Just wanna thank you for these sorts of posts. Its nice to get this sort of detail from another side of the world not really covered by western press

Stephen's posts are great, agreed. One of those posters I can identify from style alone.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Weka posted:

So could anyone expand on how the Philippines has broken its commitments in the SCS?

quote:

okay, I don't want to be talking about of my rear end, so let's try to put some references into the topic:

May 29, 2013 - then-Chinese Ambassador Ma Keqing talks to Philippine Defense Secretary Voltaire Gazmin of the BS Aquino administration to raise concerns over the possibility that the resupply vessels bringing provisions to the BRP Sierra Madre might include construction materials for the Second Thomas Shoal

quote:

Gazmin said he assured Ma that the Philippines would not build structures there.

“We will not violate the agreement not to construct new structures. We told them we’re only bringing supplies for our troops there, like water, food. There will also be rotation of troops because we can’t put our men there permanently or they’ll go crazy,” he said.

[web archive link] A Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs statement from 2016 regarding the disputes in the South China Sea

quote:

5. China and the Philippines have not yet had any negotiation designed to settle their relevant disputes in the South China Sea. However, the two countries did hold multiple rounds of consultations on the proper management of disputes at sea and reached consensus on resolving through negotiation and consultation the relevant disputes, which has been repeatedly reaffirmed in a number of bilateral documents. The two countries have also made solemn commitment to settling relevant disputes through negotiation and consultation in the 2002 Declaration on the Conduct of Parties in the South China Sea (DOC) that China and the ASEAN Member States jointly signed.

6. In January 2013, the then government of the Republic of the Philippines turned its back on the above-mentioned consensus and commitment, and unilaterally initiated the South China Sea arbitration. The Philippines deliberately mischaracterized and packaged the territorial issue which is not subject to the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS) and the maritime delimitation dispute which has been excluded from the UNCLOS dispute settlement procedures by China's 2006 optional exceptions declaration pursuant to Article 298 of UNCLOS. This act is a wanton abuse of the UNCLOS dispute settlement procedures. In doing so, the Philippines attempts to deny China's territorial sovereignty and maritime rights and interests in the South China Sea.

93. In China's Nansha Qundao, the Philippines started in the 1980s to build military facilities on some islands and reefs it has invaded and illegally occupied. In the 1990s, the Philippines continued to build airfields and naval and air force facilities on these illegally-occupied islands and reefs; centered on Zhongye Dao, the construction has extended to other islands and reefs, with runways, military barracks, docks and other facilities built and renovated, so as to accommodate heavy transport planes, fighter jets and more and larger vessels. Furthermore, the Philippines made deliberate provocations by frequently sending its military vessels and aircraft to intrude into Wufang Jiao, Xian'e Jiao, Xinyi Jiao, Banyue Jiao and Ren'ai Jiao of China's Nansha Qundao, and destroyed survey markers set up by China.

94. Still worse, on 9 May 1999, the Philippines sent BRP Sierra Madre (LT-57), a military vessel, to intrude into China's Ren'ai Jiao and illegally ran it aground on the pretext of "technical difficulties". China immediately made solemn representations to the Philippines, demanding the immediate removal of that vessel. But the Philippines claimed that the vessel could not be towed away for "lack of parts".

95. Over this matter, China has repeatedly made representations to the Philippines and renewed the same demand. For instance, in November 1999, the Chinese Ambassador to the Philippines met with Secretary of Foreign Affairs Domingo Siazon and Chief of the Presidential Management Staff Leonora de Jesus to make another round of representations. Many times the Philippines promised to tow away the vessel, but it has taken no action.

96. In September 2003, upon the news that the Philippines was preparing to build facilities around that military vessel illegally run aground at Ren'ai Jiao, China lodged immediate representations. The Philippine Acting Secretary of Foreign Affairs Franklin Ebdalin responded that the Philippines had no intention to construct facilities on Ren'ai Jiao and that, as a signatory to the DOC, the Philippines had no desire to and would not be the first to violate the Declaration.

97. But the Philippines did not fulfill its undertaking to tow away that vessel. Instead, it made even worse provocations. In February 2013, cables were lined up around that grounded vessel and people on board bustled around, making preparations for the construction of permanent facilities. In response to China's repeated representations, the Philippine Secretary of National Defense Voltaire Gazmin claimed that the Philippines was simply resupplying and repairing the vessel, and promised that no facilities would be built on Ren'ai Jiao.

98. On 14 March 2014, the Philippine Department of Foreign Affairs issued a statement openly declaring that the vessel it ran aground at Ren'ai Jiao was placed there as a permanent Philippine government installation. This was an apparent attempt to provide an excuse for its continued refusal to fulfill its undertaking to tow away that vessel in order to illegally seize Ren'ai Jiao. China immediately responded that it was shocked by this statement and reiterated that it would never allow the Philippines to seize Ren'ai Jiao by any means.

99. In July 2015, the Philippines stated publicly that the so-called maintenance repair was being done to fortify the vessel.

100. To sum up, by running aground its military vessel at Ren'ai Jiao, then promising repeatedly to tow it away but breaking that promise repeatedly and even fortifying it, the Philippines has proven itself to be the first to openly violate the DOC.

The Philippines beached the Sierra Madre in Ren'ai Jiao, then claimed for years that they were trying to tow it away, then shifted gears suddenly to say that they weren't anymore

As far as China is concerned, this means the PH was there first to have established a permanent base in the SCS, and is why they keep trying to block resupply missions to it

In PH politics, nobody wants to admit to this version of events:

1. Estrada and Arroyo, the presidents who were in office when the claim was that the Sierra Madre was due to be recovered, deny that they ever made such commitments

2. Aquino was the president when the face-turn happened, and he's already passed

3. Given 1 and 2, people tend to believe it was Duterte who promised to remove the Sierra Madre, because they all think he's a Chinese lapdog

4. Nobody knows anything about the ASEAN-level DOC, and only cares about the UNCLOS-level 2016 arbitration, so they all think the Sierra Madre deserves to be there in the first place, and it's China that started the issue

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Thanks, AGAIN, gradenko

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Fun Shoe
remember when duterte said he used to be gay but isn't anymore? lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/davidpgoldman/status/1772580555999117414

that parenti quote about nonfalsifiable orthodoxy will never go out of style as long as the great satan exists