Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

It would be interesting to see what the UN would do about 80 million people in Sichuan becoming part of Tibet, or how Hong Kong would police its newly acquired territory of 250 million people.

If you wanted to stamp out any semblance of Tibetan or Hong Kong independent regional identity this would definitely do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

quote:

Behind him, a drunk Uyghur man was yelling. Alcohol is forbidden for practicing Muslims, especially in the holy month of Ramadan.

“I’ve been drinking alcohol, I’m a little drunk, but that’s no problem. We can drink as we want now!” he shouted. “We can do what we want! Things are great now!”

At a nearby store, I notice liquor bottles lining the shelves. In another town, my colleague and I encounter a drunk Uyghur man, passed out by a trash bin in broad daylight. Though many Uyghurs in big cities like Urumqi have long indulged in drinking, such sights were once unimaginable in the pious rural areas of southern Xinjiang.

On a government sponsored tour, officials took us to meet Mamatjan Ahat, a truck driver, who declared he was back to drinking and smoking because he had recanted religion and extremism after a stint at one of Xinjiang’s infamous “training centers”.

“It made me more open-minded,” Ahat told reporters, as officials listened in.

Xinjiang officials say they aren’t forcing atheism on the Uyghurs, but rather defending freedom of belief against creeping extremism. “Not all Uyghurs are Muslim,” is a common refrain.

Love how to the Western media random drunk guys are symbols of modern liberal progress in any Muslim state aligned with the West but communist perversions of noble Islamic purity in China.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
Yeah Long Day's Journey into Night was really good.

Red and Black posted:

I don’t know. I doubt it, but I can’t really evaluate that claim without knowing what the evidence is for it

I also don't know if there's any evidence for intentionally losing war games to boost the military budget but there is evidence of pressure to fudge war games to make the US military look better than it is (see the infamous Millennium Challenge 2002 where the 'enemy' side sunk 16 US ships including an aircraft carrier with swarms of speedboats and the response was to say it was unrealistic and restart the exercise) so this probably cancels each other out at least.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

quote:

that might have been true 20 years ago but china has been building a navy and developing their amphibious doctrine in a big way.

quote:

Don't talk Clancy plz.

"China's navy is a lot better than it was 20 years ago" - Tom Clancy level insanity I guess

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

quote:

Concerns over the risk of metal stress and cracking were raised in 2017, the year before the next-generation fighters were due to come to Australia.

The FOI report obtained by the ABC said of the three bases where the jets would be based, only Williamtown, near Newcastle, had been identified as having potential problems.
The jets will also be based at Luke Airforce Base in the US state of Arizona, and the RAAF base at Tindall in the Northern Territory.

Why are Australian jets being based in the USA? Am I misunderstanding this?

Did we just buy too many jets and we are subsidising the USA's domestic air forces?

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

Comrade Koba posted:

so they’re going to…*adjusts glasses*…gas civilians with a paralyzing agent, hide them all in a shed or whatever, bring in fresh corpses (that they got from, uh, somewhere), photograph the corpses, then truck them off again and let the people they gassed just walk it off and go on with their lives?

this is some looney tunes poo poo

Support for the noble humanitarian Russian army going to such lengths to make sure no civilians are killed in their chemical attack invasion false flag.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

FuzzySlippers posted:

lol look at this China bump

(gallup)

I like the people not giving up on Iraq

I like them helpfully accommodating people who don't know the difference or don't draw a distinction between North and South Korea.

Very disappointing that the percentage of people answering US itself has never gone up, but respect for the 1-2%.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

sum posted:

It's a bit silly to spike the football on the invasion not happening while three-quarters of Russia's army is still parked on the border

Russia has a million active duty troops and 2 million reservists.

The USA claims something like 190,000 Russians are poised to storm Ukraine. 'Three- quarters' of the Russian army is nonsense and indefensible even as hyperbole.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

Conspiratiorist posted:

The USmil has 1 million soldiers and only like 100k are actual troops.

What the Russians have deployed around Ukraine is about 60% of their frontline fighting power in terms of infantry and combat vehicles.

Yeah you're right my mistake, it is a larger proportion if you look at regular combat troops. Still not 3/4 though.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

Fly Molo posted:

lmfao if this is afghanistan 2.0

how long is the afghan army going to hold out? at least 3 months
how many soldiers do they have? 200,000 well-equipped
how did it actually go? mass desertions, everybody died or fled, crumbled immediately under artillery

now what did the ukrainian army and the afghan army have in common?? :thunk:

In spite of the institutional rot and general cluelessness of the Western state/military/intelligence apparatus they seem to have made a better assessment of the situation than Afghanistan based on how fast they realised fighting in Ukraine was a lost cause and bailed out.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

Ok Comboomer posted:

I’m gonna disagree with this. literally everything you point out here is stuff pretty endemic to Putin’s Russia over the past several decades.

a lot of Russian dudes loving love violence.

also I would argue that the ad-hoc deputization of Russian citizens against undesirables (ie the official Russian attitude toward queerbashing, etc) reflects said fascist elements.

and also Russia’s spent two decades building up its military and military culture quite aggressively

also, I don’t know how you look at something like Russia’s Olympic doping programs and other related poo poo (and, like, which sports and fields they’re particularly interested in) and don’t conclude that they are loving obsessed with building a national myth through poo poo like physical domination, feats of athleticism, and traditional gendered weirdness.

Disregarding the creepiness of judging the tendency of particular nationalities to violence some of this is awfully contrived.

- El Salvador has a high murder rate and probably many dudes are violent there but this is not evidence it has fascist politics

- yeah this does have fascist elements

- militarism is not the same thing as fascism, V Ilych L's whole posts were about how conservative empires are not interchangeable with fascists

- I don't know how you look at something like Russia's Olympic doping and conclude that it's part of brainwashing Russian citizens into the fascist national myth rather than, say, obsessive sportspeople being obsessive weirdos like they do in every country. Is every cyclist in the Tour de France being on drugs a symbol of creeping fascism for their respective countries? Are Russian neofascists talking about teenage girl ice skaters (or male ice skaters - even more absurd) as being representatives of the Slav master race? - I'm not even being facetious here, I'm genuinely puzzled as to whether this could be true. I'm sure it's true in the way that 'nationalists like it when their country wins sports events' is true for all countries, but it's again not obviously fascist to me at all.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
I thought the west was overreacting to the troop buildup and I was a dumb idiot, but who cares? People all smug about how they saw putin's invasion plans from a mile away are irrelevant and not just in the 'forum posters can't affect geopolitics' way - what would convincing me and everyone else who doubted that an invasion was coming have done?

What do you think should have happened instead? Would you have sent NATO combat troops to Ukraine? we could have stopped the invasion from happening! If only we had NATO there fighting the Russians! that would make things so much better!

Nobody except the most insane bloodthirsty psychopaths thinks this would be good for anyone but it is the inevitable conclusion of nonsense about 'this is the Munich moment, we should have stopped Putin here' etc. If you admit this you can't crow about how you owned the tankies though.

Cpt_Obvious posted:

I dunno, an invasion this swift and decisive must have had a whole lot of planning behind even if it was plan C.

Posturing is more convincing if you have a serious plan to carry out behind it anyway.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

Shiroc posted:

He's a white American expat who was upset that the other people in Taiwan weren't acting as stressed.

Unless I'm missing something the whole real, material value to the PRC taking over governance of Taiwan would be to have control of the industry, knowledge workers and such. Blowing it up just to take the land doesn't seem worth anything unless the West heavily militarizes the island to threaten the mainland. But with Korea and Japan are also in close proximity with significant US military as is.

A militarized Taiwan is in a better position than Japan or Korea to threaten Chinese shipping lanes though.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

Cup Runneth Over posted:

What do you think is more likely, the Russians seeded hundreds of saboteurs into cities across the country, or paranoid Ukrainians encouraged by state propaganda are turning on foreigners and the mentally ill and beating the poo poo out of them?

If you give a bunch of frightened civilians guns and tell them to fight enemy infiltrators they are 1000000x more likely to fight random people who they think are scary for whatever reason. This would apply in literally any country being invaded by literally any other country, and I feel like I'm going insane reading everyone uncritically swallow the reports that the citizen militias keep capturing russian special ops guys and calling people who don't believe this russian propagandists.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

Danann posted:

lmao imagine taking adrian zenz at his word when it's all bullshit

https://twitter.com/abovetheclouds/status/1308481116203036679

The Chinese are giving people birth control they... can't remove themselves???

quote:

Your IUD will protect you from pregnancy for 3 to 12 years, but your doctor or nurse can take it out any time before that if you like. Removal is simple.

Where can I get my IUD removed?
You can usually get your IUD removed at the same health center that put it in for you. But any nurse or doctor who puts in IUDs can also remove them. The nurses and doctors at Planned Parenthood health centers, family planning clinics, and private gynecologist offices can all do IUD removal. Use our health center locator to find a Planned Parenthood health center that offers IUD removal near you.

Can I remove my IUD at home?
It’s best to have a nurse or doctor take out your IUD. IUD removal is usually a pretty simple process, but there’s a chance you could hurt yourself if you try to take your own IUD out.

Very rarely, there can be complications during an IUD removal — the IUD may be embedded (stuck) in the tissue in your uterus, it may have moved, or a piece may break off. This is super uncommon, but if a complication does happen, a nurse or doctor will know what to do to safely remove your IUD.

So try to have a nurse or doctor remove your IUD if you can. Use our health center locator to find a Planned Parenthood health center that offers IUD removal near you.

https://www.plannedparenthood.org/learn/birth-control/iud/how-does-iud-removal-work

How dare China ban non state approved medical practitioners from conducting unauthorised procedures, does their tyranny know no bounds

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

Nonsense posted:

China is barbaric and has no value for it's billion population of slaves.

https://twitter.com/liusiqi_64/status/1510968781769953282?s=20

drat, imagine how hellish it would be to experience covid policies which resulted in being unable to access hospital services

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

caelxii posted:

Sounds like Wang correctly identified the problems neoconservatism and neoliberalism would cause in America and worked hard to prevent that from happening to China. So of course he’s a monster.

Yeah I mean is he wrong?

quote:

But while Americans can, he says, perceive that they are faced with “intricate social and cultural problems,” they “tend to think of them as scientific and technological problems” to be solved separately. This gets them nowhere, he argues, because their problems are in fact all inextricably interlinked and have the same root cause: a radical, nihilistic individualism at the heart of modern American liberalism.

“The real cell of society in the United States is the individual,” he finds. This is so because the cell most foundational (per Aristotle) to society, “the family, has disintegrated.” Meanwhile, in the American system, “everything has a dual nature, and the glamour of high commodification abounds. Human flesh, sex, knowledge, politics, power, and law can all become the target of commodification.” This “commodification, in many ways, corrupts society and leads to a number of serious social problems.” In the end, “the American economic system has created human loneliness” as its foremost product, along with spectacular inequality. As a result, “nihilism has become the American way, which is a fatal shock to cultural development and the American spirit.”

The last paragraph of the Palladium article is kind of telling by omission - understanding that China and the West are facing similar societal problems, what is the 'radically different approach' the West has taken?

quote:

Either way, our world is witnessing a grand experiment that’s now underway: China and the West, facing very similar societal problems, have now, thanks to Wang Huning, embarked on radically different approaches to addressing them. And with China increasingly challenging the United States for a position of global geopolitical and ideological leadership, the conclusion of this experiment could very well shape the global future of governance for the century ahead.

The radically different approach the West has taken to resolve its societal problems is to do loving nothing. You can bring up all sorts of legitimate criticisms of the PRC as it is today and of whatever policies they are introducing but just realising that they recognise that their society has problems and try to fix them should be enough to chinapill westerners.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

https://www.bbc.co.uk/helpandfeedback/corrections_clarifications/

:thunk:

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

crazy russians will accuse anyone who they don't like of being neo nazis, like people who venerate the SS

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

FrancisFukyomama posted:

excess deaths can be tricky since when the hospitals hit 100% capacity every 3 months the people who die of easily treatable conditions in the waiting rooms won’t count of having died of Covid by any measure but Covid clearly was a causal factor there

i have heard a lot of anti lockdown people go off about people in Shanghai being refused service in hospitals bc of capacity issues as an atrocity of the lockdown and I think in the us people dying of heart attacks in the waiting rooms/awaiting surgery bc ICUs are full have just become expected during peaks

In my Australian state (which hasn't even had a gigantic covid death toll) the number of people waiting for surgeries has gone up from 45000 to 80000 since covid. I work in healthcare and the amount of people who have some baseline awareness of this problem but still wring their hands about someone dying after a 4 hour ED wait in Shanghai is absurd.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

A National Acrobat posted:

these part where they clapped at themselves, grown people, beating kids in tugging a rope and messing up their game is mindboggling

"The children were very confused and the teacher looked mystified"

The oriental mind simply cannot understand creative western thinking like knocking over groups of small children

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

Frosted Flake posted:

It's Time to Consider Raiding, Again

love the western rules-based international order

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

Al-Saqr posted:

after todays Supreme Court decision China is officially a better, more progressive and humane country to live in than america. all hail the CCP. you can ride trains, be a girl boss and get an abortion.

same except this was true before the decision too

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

Dasar posted:

Have australians always hated china or is it mostly just now due to china suffering from success?

Australians have always hated non whites and Chinese people in particular (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Australia_policy) due to being a small white country with millions of Asian neighbours, but in the 90s and 00s love of Chinese investment tempered the racism somewhat. Now it is a mixture of being scared of a powerful China independently and our American overlords forcing us into an anti-China line.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'll humor Mirello by saying that you could probably do something like a permanent mask mandate, strict ventilation/filtration standards, and a permanent reduction in indoor capacity limits and keep COVID down to something you might call an "acceptable" level of always sitting below 1.0 r-naught, but:

A. that necessitates crossing the threshold of thinking and saying "we are okay with some people dying of preventable disease, by design"

B. once you cross that threshold, it becomes easier and easier to revise the target upwards to relax restrictions more and more

C. which leads to just going full Open Biden... which is why nobody ever actually practices this sort of "middle-ground" approach

Once you give up, there's no taking it back.

Surely this is largely a feature of the power of capital in the west exploiting opportunities to go open biden and undermine restrictions further?

I'm not sure if China should abandon their covid zero strategy, but I don't think it should be expected that them allowing some level of circulating covid with ongoing restrictions will cascade into surrendering completely through B), for the same reasons that they have been pursuing a zero covid policy in the first place (ie. they have a strong central government and public support/expectation of collective action)

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

Antonymous posted:

this is loving disgusting what the gently caress

Are people now going to be like "identity is complicated, he's not really American if he denies that identity" every time a white mass shooter says "I reject the racially polluted judaeo bolshevik American state"?

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

Antonymous posted:

taking a tragedy and immediately turning it into some "that's the chinese for you, and yes I have decided he is chinese more than his other identities" thing is more what bugs me

Yeah, it's bad

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

Fly Molo posted:

Traffic accidents kill about 60,000 people in China each year, and that number will only increase as more Chinese people get to own personal vehicles. Should he ban driving?

please president xi I beg you

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

I saw this and felt the need to make others suffer as I did

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

President xi, my people are starving. We need PLA soldiers to bring us bread and Type 99 main battle tank

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
The CCP: modern China is uncivilised

the outrage over this incident is so funny and depressing. I live in a non-US developed country (ie. one where the citizenry are not totally desensitised to horrific violence on a daily basis) and for violence against women to make 5 minutes of national news someone still needs to be brutally murdered

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
On a train ordinary people can book private compartments and enjoy a privilege only reserved for oligarchs in aeroplanes

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
https://www.theage.com.au/national/the-world-is-bloody-messy-ardern-softens-stance-on-china-20220707-p5azv1.html

quote:

New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern has pushed back on a central pillar of US President Joe Biden’s foreign policy, arguing it is overly simplistic to see modern geopolitics as a contest between democracies and authoritarian regimes such as China given the world is “bloody messy”.

Tankie jacinda :getin:

Will be extremely funny if liberals turn on her

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

Slavvy posted:

Extremely funny to think jacinda is not a liberal

I have no illusions jacinda is anything other than a liberal but that doesn't stop other liberals from turning on you

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
I guess the media doesn't want to call it prematurely but it is weird seeing reports that 'his heart stopped and he is not breathing' and 'he has no vital signs' for more than an hour. If this is the case I'm pretty sure he is dead guys

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

quote:

"It's really not possible for her to renew her Chinese passport either through the consulate or through a return to China," he said.

"It makes them quite aware of your presence … it often prompts an investigation of the person."

It seems like having an article published about you in national news might make the Chinese government aware of your presence :shrug:

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

quote:

A wave of regulatory policies targeting the private sector, most notably private education and China's tech giants, has has also taken its toll on the perception of the level prosperity and freedom that is realistically achievable for regular Chinese citizens

Meng's Shanghai business has downsized from 140 employees to around 50 in recent years.

"I deal with local officials and am affected by this ... there are too many examples of unreasonable stuff that makes life difficult," he said, adding that he is ready to dispose of some 10 million yuan in assets and leave the country for good.

very regular citizens with 140 employees and 10 million of assets

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

Shanghai is a big city on the coast of China

(?? It's in the rfa article on the previous page)

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
https://www.theage.com.au/world/oce...713c66251df3e4b

quote:

Opposite the $100 million Australian-funded Blackrock Peacekeeping Camp in Fiji, a farm is using grass funded by Chinese President Xi Jinping to grow its fortune.

The Juncao grass towers over Fijian farmers Vinit Lal and Chaya Kumar in Nadi. Its thick, green stalk is hardy enough to withstand the cyclones that buffet this tropical island. When it breaks down it fertilises the soil and helps stop the erosion that has come to define Fiji’s landscape and its struggle to contain the threat of climate change.

The grass – a genetically modified combination of 30 plants - has come a long way from Fujian in south-eastern China, where Xi, describing it as “magic”, funded its development while local governor in the 1990s.

It now has a second purpose on Lal and Kumar’s farm: it is used to replace wood as the dominant base for cultivating Bula mushrooms. Farmers once had to cut down trees to grow mushrooms out of wood on a commercial scale, now they just fill shipping containers with Juncao grass and mushroom seeds. The margins are high, the costs relatively low, and Fiji has its sights set on becoming a major mushroom exporter to China.

“We’re very thankful to the Chinese government to be giving us that aid, for giving us that foresight and a new commodity to work on,” says Kumar.

Lal and Kumar are among the most advanced of the Juncao mushroom producers, but more than 2000 farmers have had some sort of training. China’s aid programs – once blunt and brazen, filled with broken buildings, highways to nowhere, and recipients saddled with debt – are becoming more sophisticated. The Juncao farmers may be the first sign of smarter diplomacy by Beijing in the Pacific.

“The only thing they want is to make clear that China brought this new commodity into the community,” says Lal.

China Aid branding dominates parts of Nadi. Chinese seafood and hot pot restaurants dot the China Railway Corporation-built highway through the middle of town. The city’s largest building, the Nalagi Hotel, was built with Chinese development funds.

Further north on Vanua Levu – a 30-minute flight from the capital Suva – the Australian Army now occupies a China Railway Corporation compound that has become the site of a soft-power tussle between Canberra and Beijing.

The base housed Chinese state-owned company workers when they built roads all down this remote northern part of Fiji between 2011 and 2015. When Cyclone Yasa hit in 2020, the Chinese-built primary school in Lekutu sheltered the villagers. After the category-five storm passed it was one of the few buildings left standing. Down the road, the secondary school was wiped out.

Thank you, president xi

I posted this mostly because I found this bit very funny

quote:

The soft-power of Australia’s cultural links has perhaps been underestimated – particularly across language, sport and news services like the ABC. On Wednesday, Albanese watched the State of Origin in Suva with Puna, Papua New Guinea’s James Marape and Tonga’s Siaosi Sovaleni.

“These cultural connections are something that Australia can offer to people and very few countries elsewhere,” says Australia’s Pacific Minister Pat Conroy.

“You’re not going to get a Pacific rugby league team in the Chinese rugby league competition for example.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

Delta-Wye posted:

it looks like a run of the mill michael bay movie

its interesting to me because other than the obvious substitution of plan marines, it looks like any american agitprop set in a modern east conflict. it gives me the impression they are culturally starting to view themselves as world police?

president xi, gently caress ya!!!

my movie gun identification skills are not the best but it looks like they are using western weapons and didn't even substitute Chinese arms?