Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

THS2
Oct 2, 2021

China

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THS2
Oct 2, 2021

it owns that there's an instance of mass hysteria at the state dept, and even the FBI when asked to look at it said it was mass hysteria, but if you go on the ArsTechnica boards or Reddit, everyone is absolutely eating up that spooks are getting secret communist mind-rays from Enemies. There's absolutely no ability to even posit for a moment that State Dept people are having headaches and diarrhea for any other reason than the microwave gun.

THS2
Oct 2, 2021

dead gay comedy forums posted:

China: hey, I build you rail, roads, ports and an airport, plus we help you out with lots of credit straight to your account, no questions asked, for a symbolic fee. All we ask back is for us to trade, alright?

USA: so you want some money heh I got some heh heh look I need you to undo all these bullshit regulations about foreign financial movements, also my guys need to not pay taxes at all, k? we want 50% of your ports privatized, every airport ought to have a 20% private capital participation minimum. also we wanna an installation fee for those companies, consider it your entry price for our unbelievable yaaaas good loans, heh. btw they're so good so good that you gotta take a primary one from us with these spectacular interest rates, you just have to, heheheh. then you take another one from the IMF, because you see, the third tranche part is going to come from them. The second part is from this super-duper great private consortium of interests we are assembling just. for. you to make your jungleshit country ahem picturesque tropical wonder awesomely developed, POWERED BY AMERICA. after three years of proper payment and continuous demonstrations of goodwill by your part, such as by offering us really cheap privatization deals, we will then give 30% of the primarily negotiated value in your national account over two years, with interest discounted! isn't this the BEST. loving. DEAL. EVER?!?!?!?!

THS2
Oct 2, 2021

i agree with probably 70% of that post

THS2
Oct 2, 2021

THS2
Oct 2, 2021

i mean it's totally true that western capitalism is going to eat itself and fail, and that China is the largest nation on the globe on an absolute rampage of development and national confidence. it's extremely obvious what's going to happen in the next few decades. Xi bringing back Leninism is the way to go. How's western democracy doing anyway

THS2
Oct 2, 2021

if only to be Bulgaria or Romania or Czechia and having literally 5 elections in a row in 2 years unable to form a government and just stewing and treading while held hostage to capitalists

THS2
Oct 2, 2021

mostly trivia and racism

THS2
Oct 2, 2021

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPW42b8kYEg

THS2
Oct 2, 2021

why won't china open up

THS2
Oct 2, 2021

the moment when Obama put on that US flag pin, and gave up the tan suit. That's when you knew. This guy cares way more about how he's seen than how he governs. Failure.

THS2
Oct 2, 2021

the moment he disavowed this honest man:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYqrXVNfYUI

THS2
Oct 2, 2021

god drat Obama was a supremely lovely and bad president

THS2
Oct 2, 2021

super-sonic missile bait

THS2
Oct 2, 2021

hell yea, sack his rear end

THS2
Oct 2, 2021

stephenthinkpad posted:

China (Beijing) doesn't want the land of Taiwan, they want the military value of Taiwan island.

You know what Taiwanese can do to ensure their self rule and avoid an invasion? disband their own navy completely and let mainland build strategic submarine base on island. Taiwanese can keep their army or double the size if they want. Beijing doesn't care about what's going on in the island. They already have huge trade volume with Taiwan and they don't necessarily need to have Communist cadres to run the daily operation.

When people argue about the concept of national sovereignty, they confuse national identity with regional military security. There are 200+ modern nation states in the world but a lot of them don't control their own regional security. For example, Canada's regional security is heavily rely on the US. Even Cuba, has a US military base on it, which the US essentially force it on Cuba if you check the history. Same thing for a lot of small states with foreign military bases. Most of these are US military bases, they act as a security guarantee of the region. So again, I can easily list a bunch of countries, that are real countries and have a seat in the UN. But they don't remotely control their own regional security.

What the people arguing for Taiwanese Independence, conveniently pretend the Taiwanese also entitle to have a say in which side they can side for their security. No they don't. They never do. This is decided by the size of the island and its strategic position to the mainland. There is no way an unified and strong China, be it ruled by a communist party or a run-of-the-mill nationalist party, allow Taiwan to be part of US defense system. China can have election tomorrow and vote in a different government next month, she will still want to control Taiwan's strategic value. They probably will push for quicker military reunification since an elected government can not afford to do long term planning like the CPC can.

yeah the main issue is Taiwan turning into a US military base full of thousands of military planes, covered shelters for submarines, missile "defenses" across the island, etc. and why wouldn't they fear that? like the US doesn't have that as a design.

THS2
Oct 2, 2021

imagine if China or Russia were to start building bases on Cuba, huge amounts of missile batteries and ports - they'd no longer need to invest in carriers because the Air Force could base on the island. Do you think for a second that the US would accept this encroachment?

THS2
Oct 2, 2021

R. Guyovich posted:

we, ah, don't have to imagine that particular scenario

it's all technically Taiwan assets so I don't know how you can confuse that with US control, or with the militarization of the Korean peninsula, or the continued military occupation of Japan.

THS2
Oct 2, 2021

are you an english teacher

THS2
Oct 2, 2021

What do you do?

Do people largely approve of the general trajectory of China and the government?

THS2
Oct 2, 2021

Atopian posted:

I teach science, lol, and have been unaffected by the current changes aside from general professional concern, if that's what you're getting at. No-one seems to want to do much about how science is taught, which is fine by me. Well, aside from religious countries, but that's the least of their problems I guess.

General trajectory, general public approve. Not difficult, given the environment.
Education changes: most parents don't think about it enough to care, and probably wouldn't care even if it were more prominent.

Sounds like a chill, happy, stable environment for your career. That's awesome.

THS2
Oct 2, 2021

I guess what I love the most about being in the US are the constant panic attacks and "no hope for a future"

THS2
Oct 2, 2021

watching the boomers not die off very slowly, the organizations you work for fail because none of these nonces retire, etc.

THS2
Oct 2, 2021

some motherfucker who is literally 80 years old wasting my god drat time because not only does he have a pretend job, but he actually technically "owns" a lot of land around it so you can't tell him to gently caress off

THS2
Oct 2, 2021

Atopian posted:

This is correct.
Lot of problems to fix, but at least there's a chance.
If people recognise and try to avoid them.

what the gently caress are you talking about. Problems recognized and trying to avoid them. What the gently caress are you talking about?? what politics? Who is doing this?

It's loving pathetic that you think that either the UK or the US governments will ever reform their governments to the point of not killing themselves.

Yeah, dude, if people recognize the problems, then they will recognize them, and we will fix the problems. i'll also make my rear end in a top hat tighter and i'll never poop

THS2
Oct 2, 2021

CaptainACAB posted:

The West's problem is capitalism and the only way you fix it is a communist revolution and lol

Good loving luck my friend

THS2
Oct 2, 2021

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9KjBq15zEk

THS2
Oct 2, 2021

BrainDance posted:

This is what I thought too when I saw that. I didn't say it because, gently caress it it's just an anecdote, I don't know that many people. But I live in Henan, and almost universally, everyone young person I know who owns a house is in this situation. You wanna get married, you have to have a house. You can't afford a house in Zhengzhou, because of course you can't. But you have to work in Zhengzhou, because what are you going to do in Luoyang? So you have a tiny, really crappy house in the outskirts of Kaifeng or Zhoukou. You don't actually live in it, you rent in Zhengzhou, but you can say you have a house.

The water in Henan is actually undrinkable, because of this. Everyone just kind of accepts it, and you pay for a water guy/live in a community with a communal water thing/carry a bottle to wherever they sell clean water near you.

I think it's a similar situation in most of China? I'm not sure, but definitely is in Henan though.

sounds way better than the US right now

THS2
Oct 2, 2021

BrainDance posted:

Have you been to Henan?

Is it getting worse and is there no hope in the next 30 years of healthcare or help from anyone

THS2
Oct 2, 2021

have you been to.. East Austin

THS2
Oct 2, 2021

crepeface posted:

wb buddy, what happened to your old account?

killed it and replaced it with this trash

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qObroc0QC-U

THS2
Oct 2, 2021

I got too panicked to the old account and no one is allowed to reference my previous beliefs.

THS2
Oct 2, 2021

strategically and within a Marxist lens, I am still extremely pro the current Chinese state. Doing great, in my estimation.

THS2
Oct 2, 2021

Atopian posted:

I'm not trying for the least generous thing, I'm trying to square the statistics from that graph with the experience of all the Chinese millennials I talk to, whose pay in no way measures up to being able to buy a house in the place they work without assistance. Maybe I just meet poor people idk?

Are things worse in the US? Sure looks like it. Am I interested in that? Not really, never intend to visit.

thing are much worse in the US, and we aren't doing well. I work at a landfill and it's constant panic attacks to get the trash going. maybe you should get some perspective.

THS2
Oct 2, 2021

drat that all owns. the US is not like that at all.

THS2
Oct 2, 2021

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-RBJNqdnoM

THS2
Oct 2, 2021

the american century wasn't even a century. 1945-202? RIP

THS2
Oct 2, 2021

inshallah the missiles reach their targets

THS2
Oct 2, 2021

russia no longer has famines, so everything worked out in the long run

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THS2
Oct 2, 2021

Ardennes posted:

Admittedly, I think the entire construction boom of the 2010s in Turkey was pretty much one giant scam.

Smart countries keep the boom going artificially because money is fake. e.g. China