Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
my parents are hong kong born and bred, but don't live there any more. hearing the CHUD excuses of "protesters shouldn't damage property", "if that police attacked a person, he must've done something wrong" and "why can't they protest peacefully" in chinese is just so depressing and frustrating. i've always heard stories about americans going to thanksgiving with racist uncles or whatever, this is probably the first time i've lived it. almost had a giant fight, but we had to just agree not to talk about it. i did manage to get across why the original extradition law was a problem though i'm pretty sure my mum is sulking that i wouldn't let any of her dumb reasoning go unchallenged.

in closing, it's a good thing this dumb planet is exploding

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

oh yeah i forgot "why are they wearing masks if they've done nothing wrong" just loving kill me now thanks

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

halloween costume idea

wow, no blizzard.

gamers really are the most oppressed people

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
what do you call it when president xi practices auto-erotic asphyxiation?

one belt one load

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Antonymous posted:

Chinese people like Americans & America so much more than Americans like Chinese people or China. The softpower is very real and trump didn't do poo poo. some middle class Chinese LIKE trump for disciplining the party b/c the party is their most immediate existential threat - trump appeals to chuds globally

can i get a source for this

are you talking about american chinese people

nobody likes americans

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Antonymous posted:

When asked "Which international relationship has the greatest effect on China?" 47.5% of respondents said "USA" which I guess is the lowest they've polled ever but still a clear #1

so the author says Chinese don't like American contemporary politics but do like Americans just fine, there's still opportunity to bring the two countries into a greater friendship.

that first question is about which has the most effect, not which they like the most? how does the conclusion follow from the question

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Antonymous posted:

"对中国影响最大的双边关系" is the first question and at least literally that means 'which bilateral relationship has the greatest influence on China' and it was multiple choice, 47.5% said USA-China relations.

"您最喜欢哪个国家" is a question way at the bottom which means "which country do you like most?"

yeah, so why are you using the first question to draw any conclusions that china's people like america

doesn't the last question results going from 7.5% to 2% show that they don't

crepeface has issued a correction as of 06:34 on Jan 26, 2021

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
so you mean spergin morlock was right and 7.5% -> 2% shows that trump damaged america's reputation? i'm still very confused that you posted an article that seems to contradict your point

Spergin Morlock posted:

trump helped do some serious damage to all of that though lol

Antonymous posted:

Chinese people like Americans & America so much more than Americans like Chinese people or China. The softpower is very real and trump didn't do poo poo.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
oh ok i thought you were saying you were wrong to just go off your anecdotal experience so you found a poll that supports what you were saying

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

assuming it's going to get deleted:

crepeface has issued a correction as of 07:28 on Mar 29, 2021

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
there's so much anti-china propaganda out there that suffuses the media it's nearly impossible to break through it without laying down months of ground work outlining new world order conspiracy sounding poo poo. spent half an afternoon trying to explain this poo poo to some friends and it's so depressing how "china bad" is just baked into every argument/evidence.

so drat thankful for poo poo like radio war nerd and the gray zone and even c-spam or i think i would be even more depressed about this topic.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
almost got me to check in on d&d's take on china.

not this time satan

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
is there a good babby discussion/podcast/article/video contrasting belt and road with stuff the west does like IMF/world bank/etc?

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
does it have anything to do with the fact water started being traded on the stock market 6 months ago

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Zedhe Khoja posted:

probably not, in this case. this is fighting over a piece of machinery not necessarily the water supply it's tapped into

would the increasing scarcity of water due to it being traded make it valuable enough to start a war?

either way.... guess who's buying a big water cooler and turning it over their head like gatorade at the end of a football match in a decadant show of wealth

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Zedhe Khoja posted:

Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan both need outside assistance to build projects like this. Every piece of ex-soviet infrastructure they keep is one more thing they don't have to beg China/Russia/USA for. And, while water is increasingly a conflict point in the region, this doesn't really change the water reserves the respective sides control, and Tajikistan is currently the least worried about water reserves since they both control the least amount of Ferghana farmland and the most amount of Ferghana water. On paper they're swimming in uh, water. Despite this there's huge issues with water distribution and tons of people are water insecure due to a lack of infrastructure.

hmm, thanks!

gradenko_2000 posted:

sorry, apparently it's actually 50 cent army. it's a reference to how people suspect that China has an army of internet posters to defend it online, and that they're paid 50 cents per post

everyone who's trying to point out the warmongering propaganda against our largest trading partner in the auspol thread is getting called a tankie or a paid shill lol.

crepeface has issued a correction as of 09:42 on Apr 30, 2021

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
oh no china or russia might.... make better vaccines or treat cancer lmao

https://twitter.com/ryanavent/status/1386327151050326024?s=20

sorry if this got posted already, it's a few days old.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
very brave to post your reddit.

respect.

also yes it's absolutely insane how people understand the concept of propaganda without realising they're regurgitating it.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
it's very depressing. I'm trying to point out the systematic ways our consent is bring manufactured (among my real life friends as well in auspol) and what I get back is "well I know this guy"

need a d&d break.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

quote:

As for Ulygurs claiming it's all good. Paul Rassinier was a prisoner at Buchenwald and denied the holocaust saying he never saw any Jews being killed. They tested poison and firebombs at his camp, on the prisoners, amongst other things. Why should I believe this? Of course there will be deniers from within. Have you looked at modern Chinese history? I actively studied it academically. They are really good at getting you to change your mind and say what they want.

the perfidous celestial... his instructable ways will move your tongue and give voice to words not your own.

millions of uyghurs in the region and every single one that's says there's nothing going on is lying

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
^ yeah, i've been a little hopeful lately when i see the comments on a news article/report laugh at adrian zenz, even in sinophobic places like reddit political subs but every now and then i just see people who dug the gently caress in, even when you show them muslim majority countries have said nothing's going on.

also, sorry i keep posting these but it's just unbelievable to me:

quote:

My point is that the Australian government is good for calling out a nation-state for committing genocide against its people. Your point is that you like money in your bank account. One is legitimately relevant to the thread, the other is, I assume, fat stacks of blood money in your wallet.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
that's fair.

when someone said they believed in the claims because china refuses to open up the region to outside observers, i got caught up in showing all the international diplomats (not just muslim, but i wanted to get that in there) that have already been.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

mila kunis posted:

are there any thoughts on

- drone hacking
- drones enabling the smallest and shittiest states to maintain power far easier than before/do they make it easier to beat insurgencies

i think radio war nerd talked about this briefly on chapo.

i imagine it actually would have the opposite effect, insurgencies with a cheap way of loving up infrastructure on a new level makes them way more of a threat.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Flavahbeast posted:

he actually talks about this in one of his older articles: https://pando.com/2014/02/13/the-war-nerd-googles-big-new-dog/

At least for bigger powers he seems to think the opposite, that cheap, ubiquitous drones will neuter insurgencies

that seems to be more focused on boston dynamics type robots as an occupying force. not sure it fully applies to drones.

here's that bit on his appearance on chapo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZmLgB5cWdc&t=957s

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

mila kunis posted:

make an auspol thread in cspam instead? gently caress d&d

i just made a c-spam auspol thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3967382

crepeface has issued a correction as of 04:24 on May 11, 2021

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

sorry i know this is days late, but i'm just catching up on a bunch of threads, but someone posted this as a response in the c-spam auspol thread:

Centusin posted:

i know there's no point in saying this but typically people celebrate Eid al-Fitr by praying inside or outside of mosques not dancing outside of them so I would say that video shows no footage of anybody actually properly celebrating Eid. It's almost like they couldn't record footage of people performing Salat or reciting Takbir because it didn't happen

just incredible

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
drat this poo poo rules

https://twitter.com/CarlZha/status/1394281236747603972?s=20

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

ToxicAcne posted:

Do people in China actually identify as Han or is regional identity a thing. Like Fujianese, Cantonese, and Mandarin are as different as Bengali, Gujarati and Hindi right?

not entirely sure what's like in the motherland, but my impression is that it's largely regional. people forget china is about as big as the EU and until, recently, didn't have a tonne of domestic travel.

I literally have han in my name but I'm probably only half han by blood quantum?!?! people largely think of themselves as 'chinese' first, because the cultural touchstones are fairly common (common roots in confucianism probably)

I think the easiest analogy would be in the way people in the US are just 'white american'. like you might be 62% Irish or german or whatever, but it's just an interesting sidenote rather than a defining characteristic.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
look i'll explain the asian races in a way white libs will get:

han - gryffindor
japan - slytherin
korea - ravenclaw
everyone else - hufflepuff

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
all the official institutions, tech giants and pundits lining up behind the lab leak theory is loving depressing

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

just lol if china invents cold fusion and everyone rejects it and the planet explodes anyway

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

stephenthinkpad posted:

It's built by Uyghurs forced labor.

where uyghur one, we go all.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

from someone in the replies:

https://twitter.com/RodericDay/status/1303328567372242944?s=20

'My best friend in Hotan is a Han who was born and raised there. He speaks fluent Uighur and often visits my parents on holidays. He told them, "When Kurbanjan is not here, I’m your eldest," and gave them a goat.'

lollin'

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
can't believe this skit aired on our national broadcasting station a few years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTCqXlDjx18

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

stephenthinkpad posted:

The Covax program is essentially the western countries paying money to India private vaccine pharma to produce vaccines, and distribute to the poor countries and get credit for the good will. And the price is cheap $3-5 dollars per doses when the fancy Pfizer/Moderna vaccine has not delivered any doses to Covax. They have been selling the mRNA vaccines to the developed countries who can afford them. Now, why would the Indian make low ball $5 vaccines for Covax when China has been selling their vaccine for $10-40 per doses? They sure got a sucker deal.

https://twitter.com/EmmanuelMacron/status/1386355283841200131?s=20

i think covax is primarily eu, who are at least pretending to care about the rest of the world. the us are just fygm (except they can't even bribe their own populace to take the vaccine).

thank u president xi.

crepeface has issued a correction as of 04:13 on Jun 3, 2021

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
our (labor) PM at the time:

crepeface posted:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-06-03/bob-hawke-tiananman-classified-cable/100184916

quote:

"The whole incident occurred because there was this life and death power struggle going on at the highest levels of the Chinese government.

"[The informant] would, of course, be reflecting the views, and the hopes and the fears of one particular group; the group that lost out.

"So there would be a vested interest in conveying as bad a picture as possible, of what the people on the other side of this power struggle were doing and were responsible for."
:magemage:

quote:

Where had the information in the first cable come from?
While the Australian cable Bob Hawke was reading from has never before been made public, a cable sent at the same time to London and Hong Kong from British ambassador Sir Alan Donald was declassified in 2017.

The British cable and Australian cable are strikingly similar.

:magemage: :magemage: :magemage:

quote:

But she said that later, after being presented with new information about the event, he came to a realisation that some of the details were incorrect. Although, he did not voice any regrets.

...can someone who doesn't have terminal epstein brain like i do tell me what was going on. UK backed the other group?

edit: of course they don't explain which details were actually wrong and people are literally are quoting parts of the article itself says were inaccurate

crepeface has issued a correction as of 03:50 on Jun 3, 2021

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

https://twitter.com/leonbakhan/status/1400142718370729984?s=19

im begging this thread to stop crack pinging me

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

tractor fanatic posted:

why do people keep saying this? China had every reason to do this research themselves anyways because sars hosed them up so bad

probably because of poo poo like this

https://fas.org/irp/threat/cbw/nextgen.pdf?fbclid=IwAR2ixbphbF_2lUrWiP85VbU6ldemYD5xCmhlMidLDv4nbE-IWS8epHv7aFc

and

gradenko_2000 posted:

Charles Lieber was arrested in January 2020 in connection with work he was doing in Wuhan for George Church and Martin Nowak, geneticists who received 6.5 million USD from Jeffrey Epstein as a grant to the Program for Evolutionary Dynamics, whose research topics included virus dynamics

crepeface has issued a correction as of 03:49 on Jun 5, 2021

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

lol bertrand russell (big king dick math/logic pioneer) wrote a book The Problem of China in the 1920s (which, despite the title, is extremely complimentary of China, he basically thought China would be the future) and he thought one of the primary reasons differences between china and the west's historical trajectory was that greek mathematics didn't make it there.

also russell is kinda baller.

quote:

In 1962 Russell played a public role in the Cuban Missile Crisis: in an exchange of telegrams with Soviet leader Nikita Khrushchev, Khrushchev assured him that the Soviet government would not be reckless.[170][171] Russell sent this telegram to President Kennedy:

YOUR ACTION DESPERATE. THREAT TO HUMAN SURVIVAL. NO CONCEIVABLE JUSTIFICATION. CIVILIZED MAN CONDEMNS IT. WE WILL NOT HAVE MASS MURDER. ULTIMATUM MEANS WAR... END THIS MADNESS.[172]

quote:

In September 1961, at the age of 89, Russell was jailed for seven days in Brixton Prison for "breach of peace" after taking part in an anti-nuclear demonstration in London. The magistrate offered to exempt him from jail if he pledged himself to "good behaviour", to which Russell replied: "No, I won't."

quote:

In the King's Birthday Honours of 9 June 1949, Russell was awarded the Order of Merit,[164] and the following year he was awarded the Nobel Prize in Literature.[75][90] When he was given the Order of Merit, George VI was affable but slightly embarrassed at decorating a former jailbird, saying, "You have sometimes behaved in a manner that would not do if generally adopted".[165] Russell merely smiled, but afterwards claimed that the reply "That's right, just like your brother" immediately came to mind.

recommend the linked book btw, really interesting to get a perspective from a big shot in the 1920s that didn't just view china as place to be exploited or feared and there are handy chapters you can skip to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Trash Ops posted:

lol at someone eating a ban for being right about tiananmen square in the vtuber thread

lol we have a vtuber thread?