Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
all cops are bad at singing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Those NYT articles are loving clickbaits. Well they got me read one of them so they won.

China said they will produce 600 mil covid vaccine shots this year and 1 billion next year. So that should be enough to cover the cities and close BRI buddies this year and the rest of China next year.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

i still find it surreal seeing videos from china where cops and SWAT team members storm a shopping mall food court with guns and then arrange themselves in neat little rows and begin singing.

they've also got that new flag. mod team assemble:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyFhRrCPYdI

The average Chinese citizen lives in constant fear that their local police department will barge into their home to put on an impromptu performance of Oklahoma!

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
another fun / terrifying part is how the cop at 1:15 is "hiding" in a bath and body works and then appears suddenly. oh, where did you come from? i was just shopping for some fragrant soaps

BrutalistMcDonalds has issued a correction as of 05:14 on Jan 25, 2021

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

the "optics"

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1353499107571228672?s=19

This will be interesting to watch. I had forgotten about the AIIB.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

that has been the trajectory for over a decade now and the US still has the option of pointing boats with guns at these south east asian countries if they were serious about doing anything to stop it

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Those Pacific islands are actually Australia's backyard. And you can figure out the reason.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
Putin today in one of his "public" q&as said it wasnt his palace, what was the direct evidence navalny presented that it was?

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

folks I just had an epiphany

I've noticed over the last year or so that the amount of anti-China vitriol permeating the culture has increased significantly well outside the bounds of normal right wing sinopsychos (tm). What if this surge is a direct reaction to China proving that their model of governance was an unmitigated and clear success in the handling of a national-scale crisis like a novel pandemic?

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

zegermans posted:

folks I just had an epiphany

I've noticed over the last year or so that the amount of anti-China vitriol permeating the culture has increased significantly well outside the bounds of normal right wing sinopsychos (tm). What if this surge is a direct reaction to China proving that their model of governance was an unmitigated and clear success in the handling of a national-scale crisis like a novel pandemic?

China’s GDP is about the surpass the United States in a few years, even faster since China stomped out COVID and the US engulfed themselves with it. Post-American world is upon us. Of course right-wingers are going to freak the gently caress out. They will blame Joe Biden for letting it happen when really it’s been a work in progress for the past 20 years.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
What scares me is this period is the most ripe for conflict, a bi-polar world with one ascendant power and one descedant or stagnating power basically always ends in conflict

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

I lust for Chinese world conquest. The truth does not matter before the supremacy of Dear Leader Xi.
https://twitter.com/IllumineCalais/status/1353699653045239808

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/chenweihua/status/1353637552268447745

Lmao I see the king is still at it.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Vasukhani posted:

What scares me is this period is the most ripe for conflict, a bi-polar world with one ascendant power and one descedant or stagnating power basically always ends in conflict

it's like some sort of trap. I think Thucydides wrote about this?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

this guy is china's most fearsome propaganda weapon

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Atrocious Joe posted:

https://www.belfercenter.org/thucydides-trap/case-file

#16 is a bit

my agreement with this is the real horseshoe theory.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/asiatimesonline/status/1353613829184380928?s=19

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
:prepop:

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Vasukhani posted:

Admittedly the 1950s were when the geopolitical competition of the Cold War was the highest and really the detente period only ended after the Cuban Missile crisis, but also at the same time the Soviet Union was still a considerably weaker power than the US in economic terms.

This time around, China has the economic base the Soviet Union never had and we are now in new territory.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

well, I hope china wins. good luck to all players

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
personally I hope I don't die in nuclear hellfire but that's just me

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
the USA has a massive amount of built in soft power though, both from its headstart and english being the interational language of business, trade, plus hollywood and social media and american tech. the sheer reach + slickness of american propaganda can't be matched atm

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I am ok with nuclear hellfire if it's faster and less painful than the alternative that will be provided in the future.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

mila kunis posted:

the USA has a massive amount of built in soft power though, both from its headstart and english being the interational language of business, trade, plus hollywood and social media and american tech. the sheer reach + slickness of american propaganda can't be matched atm

trump helped do some serious damage to all of that though lol

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Spergin Morlock posted:

Chinese people like Americans & America so much more than Americans like Chinese people or China. The softpower is very real and trump didn't do poo poo. some middle class Chinese LIKE trump for disciplining the party b/c the party is their most immediate existential threat - trump appeals to chuds globally

if anything Americans like putin more than merkel - why? because putin is in the news and is a big strong man leading a powerful country through his personality and that's what 90% of people know about foreign leaders. Biden will not have this effect. most like putin more than merkel because they never heard of merkel

Antonymous has issued a correction as of 22:46 on Jan 25, 2021

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

mila kunis posted:

I wonder how much of that is actually real though when tested, and the way it is playing out...some of that advantage may be pretty hollow.

Antonymous posted:

Chinese people like Americans & America so much more than Americans like Chinese people or China. The softpower is very real and trump didn't do poo poo. some middle class Chinese LIKE trump for disciplining the party b/c the party is their most immediate existential threat - trump appeals to chuds globally

People like Americans and the "concept" of America but usually when the US government itself comes up the opinions change pretty radically. Just because people watch the Avengers doesn't mean they are suddenly going to be in the tank for regime change.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 22:47 on Jan 25, 2021

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

mila kunis posted:

yeah but hollywood films arent as good as they used to be due to accumulation of the media sphere by two megacorporations

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Spergin Morlock posted:

Pfff you wish, Bush was already doing it back in 2000. Trump just pissed of the libs.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007

Ardennes posted:

Admittedly the 1950s were when the geopolitical competition of the Cold War was the highest and really the detente period only ended after the Cuban Missile crisis, but also at the same time the Soviet Union was still a considerably weaker power than the US in economic terms.

This time around, China has the economic base the Soviet Union never had and we are now in new territory.

So we'll be on the losing side of a Franco-Prussian war redux when Sun King Baron Trump declares war on Super China in 2040. Hopefully I can pick up Mandarin before then lol

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Spergin Morlock posted:

Yup

https://ecfr.eu/publication/the-crisis-of-american-power-how-europeans-see-bidens-america/

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Atrocious Joe posted:

this makes no sense

athens was a democracy exacting tribute from client states to fight against sparta sponsoring aligned oligarchies

in this case the US is both the democracy with the client states and the one sponsoring aligned oligarchies

the only real thucydides trap here is a US falling into civil war

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

america has a head start but is also stagnant and declining whereas china is still booming

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

americas last chance for the next decade or two to reverse its descent into russia style stagnation went away when the political class locked out bernie. the political and business classes are fully committed to america's managed decline

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

I hate that the white liberal mindset is 'oh no what if the white people in europe don't think USA is #1?? thanks for reminding me

edit: seriously who gives a gently caress what euros think in some poll about china's ascendence. what does it have to do with trump even. what does it have to do with US soft power. totally useless. all it tells you is the narrative that the euro media feeds its citizens that they parrot back to some poll.

Antonymous has issued a correction as of 00:39 on Jan 26, 2021

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

shout out to the Danes who believe the US is declining but still supports it against China.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
One criticism of Thucydides's trap is that vast majority of Graham Allison's samples are from the Western/Colonial history. He has not looked into the Chinese history which had many examples of Southern Chinese dynasty dealing with northern neighbors without committing to all-out war to suppress the nomadic power.

The Chinese states usually use coercion, marriage, and alliance systems to manage the northern powers. When you think about it, this strategy make a lot more sense for countries that share huge land borders together. The past colonial powers usually had no land border to worry about outside of Spain.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Antonymous posted:

I hate that the white liberal mindset is 'oh no what if the white people in europe don't think USA is #1?? thanks for reminding me

edit: seriously who gives a gently caress what euros think in some poll about china's ascendence. what does it have to do with trump even. what does it have to do with US soft power. totally useless. all it tells you is the narrative that the euro media feeds its citizens that they parrot back to some poll.

Because the US loves the notion of being "multi-lateral" Those numbers shifted dramatically in 2016. I think it's less about white ppl, though that obvs is an influence to how americans think about the world, and more that half of America's Army is Europe. It's a bit like asking in 350 AD "why does anyone care what the Dacians think of Rome"

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Those surveyes should stop surveying those tiny European countries that shouldn't be countries on their own and start surveying Brazil and Indonesia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

stephenthinkpad posted:

Those surveyes should stop surveying those tiny European countries that shouldn't be countries on their own and start surveying Brazil and Indonesia.

Those countries are literally American satrapies that do not have an independent foreign policy, unlike brazil and indonesia