Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

mawarannahr posted:

wow. that’s pretty loving draconian.

https://www.shorescripts.com/pentagon/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I'm having a hard time seeing through all the competing propaganda to understand what exactly is going on. Is everyone actually on the verge of war, or is it all an elaborate spectacle that everyone's in on?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

vyelkin posted:

The most recent report from the OSCE monitoring mission, which includes observers from both sides of the conflict and neutral parties (i.e. US, Canada, and UK but also Russia, Belarus, and Kazakhstan, etc.) shows a considerable uptick in shelling in the last couple of days on both sides of the front line, suggesting that probably both sides are bombing each other right now. That's kind of similar to how the 2008 Georgia war started, with both sides shelling each other across a preexisting front and then Georgia responding by launching an invasion of South Ossetia, but in this case Ukraine probably isn't suicidal enough to launch an invasion of the separatist republics.

We're at a stage right now where there's a lot of sabre rattling going on but it's hard to tell whether there's actually going to be a war or whether this is an understandable result of both sides having large numbers of mobilized troops staring at each other trying to look tough as leverage for diplomatic talks and that diplomacy will progress and they'll back down again. It's also very hard to predict because neither side is a unitary actor, so even if Moscow or Kyiv (or Washington) want things to turn out a certain way, the local army units or the separatist leaders might want things to turn out a different way and might take action on the ground to try and force the hands of their leaderships.

OK, thanks. So what we do know is that we don't really know what's going to happen.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Sergg posted:

My dad bought a Russian/Ukrainian mail-order-bride from Kiev in the early 2000s and abandoned his real family for the next decade while Olga cleaned out his bank accounts to fund her incredibly lavish lifestyle. The instant she got her Green Card she divorced him to marry someone with more money. Her son, Bogdan, is still technically a fugitive in Ukraine because he never earned US citizenship and is technically a draft dodger. Bogdan ran what I can only describe as a criminal cartel out of my dad's house comprised of other high-school kids doing credit card fraud, carhopping, B&E's, selling cars to chopshops, etc.

The last time they went on vacation to Europe, they said both Russia and Ukraine were totally fuckin lousy with street Nazis and Bogdan got his rear end beat for having a slight American accent (I think in Moscow).

were you and bogdan close

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

literally pulling the lever that says "raise gas prices"

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Kinda funny to lead with lack of protections for workers given how the two countries just handled COVID.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Jose posted:

a reminder that the UK has merely a week planned for when the queen dies

Thailand had a year-long mourning period after the king died. Everything was yellow and plastered with pictures of him for even longer than that though tbh

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

The other day a German was bragging to me about their incredible green energy plans. Oops

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

apparently the spy balloon just contained a smartphone loaded with the tik tok app

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

KomradeX posted:

Maybe I'm naive but I just assumed this thing was a weather ballon and the hooting about spy ballons is being driven by an insane war aparatus in a dying empire that feels the need to rachet up fear at every turn

I don't even pay attention to this stuff much, but sinophobia must be off the charts lately if even I'm noticing it.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I'm curious what some free-floating balloon can supposedly accomplish that satellites can't. Is it 1944?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

lollontee posted:

it's cheaper

I guess I just assumed the satellites were already up there

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

The Chinese are just trying to bring entertainment back to America

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

The balloon was obviously sent by the Chinese to make us look like absolute dumbasses, and it worked.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Cerebral Bore posted:

was it the current thai king who basically hosed off to germany when covid hit and had a yearlong orgy while his ostensible subjects died by the thousands or am i thinking of some other southeast asian monarch?

Yeah he's an elderly spoiled brat

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

pretty sure he shot his loving brother in the face

That was the current king's dad who supposedly shot his own brother. No one cared though they loved that guy.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

TDepressionEarl posted:

All of these issues are sort of under the purview of politicians, but currently mostly in the hands of competent technocrats, the kind that sailed us through Covid: I believe the military government deserves some praise for handling that well, not terrible not great, we'll see.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

NEETs are by definition not seeking employment and thus not counted in unemployment statistics though, right?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Hmm how many kilometers is it to cross an international border?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

my dad posted:

"Just do something" resulted some incredibly stupid bullshit that wasted an enormous amount of work at a previous job I had, and was resolved by (risking my job by) shouting at people who spent all day talking to you about how you should talk less and work more. I'm yet to be in a situation where people "talk too much", outside of being unwillingly present at middle management blame passing games after telling them something they didn't like hearing.

It probably depends on the job, because I'm rarely in any meetings that really needed to take place.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Translating scientific writing sounds like it would be incredibly difficult.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Dawncloack posted:

tl;dr: languages are awesome, translation is fun and Iove it.

Thanks, this is really interesting. I would probably enjoy this kind of work if I were actually bilingual (the workflow sounds similar to some of the work that I already do). The part that sounds difficult to me is capturing precise meanings, because it's so crucial that you get it right.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Why would you ever include that much detail in a map in a Barbie movie?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Here is the Barbie map in question lol

https://imgur.io/V8YTjzJ

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

the amount of knockoffs for sale in VN is staggering. I saw a restaurant waiter wearing Yeezys.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

In honor of Kissinger's passing, some pictures I took of things he wouldn't have liked

House where Ho Chi Minh wrote Vietnam's declaration of independence in 1945

Ho Chi Minh museum

Ho Chi Minh's mausoleum

Lenin park

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I went on a two-day backpacking trip through the Vietnamese jungle where it rained the entire time, and I have some thoughts about the audacity of invading that place.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Another interesting thing was traveling a portion of the Ho Chi Minh trail through the central highlands and seeing some of the caves that the North Vietnamese used to hide people and supplies. We drove by a cave that was used as a hospital during the war -- the US bombed it and trapped a team of nurses inside, dooming them to a slow death. The cave is revered as a sacred place now and visited by people seeking the nurses' blessing.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

nice pictures, Fitzy Fitz. I've been to Ho Chi Minh City but maybe visiting Hanoi would be nice too

I stayed in Hanoi's old quarter and had a lot of fun. Over the weekend they closed off most of the streets to traffic at sundown, so there was a big party in the streets with bands, dancing, etc.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Meanwhile we can't even get the US president to purge the previous administration's postmaster general.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

crepeface posted:

a relative went to vietnam and like the tankie that they are they went to the memorial museum

I was there last month and the whole place is a devastating indictment of US atrocities. There's half of an entire floor just for agent orange. And then on your way out you can stop by the gift shop to buy a keychain and a non la.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Oh good we're back to preindustrial practices

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Mandel Brotset posted:

cars are cheap in the orient

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Lmao

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

It's fascinating watching them scold China for being too successful in the "wrong" way, especially with green tech.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

You're telling me the median household net worth in China is just shy of $400k?

Oh, I see. Urban. That is a pretty huge qualifier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Do they not have Hooters in China?