Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Cythereal posted:

That and Kaliyo is [fairly literally] a bomb-throwing anarchist who repeatedly blackmails you and fucks poo poo up for you just because it amuses her, and the most you can do is wag your finger at her.

She's also just kind of a terrible person in general. Lokin or Scorpio would at least have a reason beyond "I thought it would be funny" for stabbing you in the back.
I found her fine as the early Agent companion for as far as I got, but when she turned up in KotFE I really liked how you eventually get to call her out on her bullshit and she's got no response. She's not an anarchist, she's just a lovely vandal. And in the end she knows it. I'm amazed it wasn't a dark side choice to utterly crush her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Moon Slayer posted:

Losing Kaliyo on Corellia was bad but not as bad as Jedi Knights who stopped gearing T3 back at level 14 and then being locked in to using him for the final battle.
And let's not forget that keeping even one companion's gear up to date was not easy or cheap at all. It's quite astonishing how punishing TOR's original incarnation was in a variety of aspects.

I bet there's some people absolutely clamouring for a TOR equivalent of WoW Classic, though. :whitewater:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Yeah people post on Reddit all the time asking for SWTOR classic. It's dumb, the only thing that launch SWTOR had going for it was population. Skill Trees were kind of fun, but the game is superior in every other way compared to back then.

People complain about how fast leveling is, and how level sync makes final fights trivial, but these people don't remember how much of a kick in the dick it was doing every available mission just to barely stay at the required level. Some missions are really cool, but none are cool the 8th time you're doing them.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Not to mention the ordeal that was traversing every planet, and in particular having to fight you way out of tunnels after finishing a mission because all the mobs already respawned.

Edit: also having to spend tons of money on training abilities, the ability to use a speeder (from level 20 onwards, if memory serves) included.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Medullah posted:

Yeah people post on Reddit all the time asking for SWTOR classic. It's dumb, the only thing that launch SWTOR had going for it was population. Skill Trees were kind of fun, but the game is superior in every other way compared to back then.

People complain about how fast leveling is, and how level sync makes final fights trivial, but these people don't remember how much of a kick in the dick it was doing every available mission just to barely stay at the required level. Some missions are really cool, but none are cool the 8th time you're doing them.
Leveling is a bit too easy right now, especially with all the double XP events. On my Bounty Hunter I skipped Balmorra and went straight to Nar Shaddaa with no problems, and ended up being level 40 by the time I finished it. That's three planets to nearly hit the F2P cap. I only rarely felt even slightly challenged along the way, so if that's the kind of gameplay people are looking for then their complaints make sense.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Arquinsiel posted:

I found her fine as the early Agent companion for as far as I got, but when she turned up in KotFE I really liked how you eventually get to call her out on her bullshit and she's got no response. She's not an anarchist, she's just a lovely vandal. And in the end she knows it. I'm amazed it wasn't a dark side choice to utterly crush her.

"You're no more likely to bring down Zakuul than they are, and your defiance is just as petty." And Kaliyo just doesn't have an answer. It's amazing.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Arquinsiel posted:

Leveling is a bit too easy right now, especially with all the double XP events. On my Bounty Hunter I skipped Balmorra and went straight to Nar Shaddaa with no problems, and ended up being level 40 by the time I finished it. That's three planets to nearly hit the F2P cap. I only rarely felt even slightly challenged along the way, so if that's the kind of gameplay people are looking for then their complaints make sense.

I agree, but we're in the minority. People that play just for the story don't want the traditional MMO challenge. I'm fine with story being easy now that they're focusing on endgame repeatable content again.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It wasn't challenging, it was tedious.

It wasn't about skill.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Medullah posted:

I agree, but we're in the minority. People that play just for the story don't want the traditional MMO challenge. I'm fine with story being easy now that they're focusing on endgame repeatable content again.
I'm fine with just playing the story, but I do like the periodic skinner box rewards along the way. It's something that's missing from the post-50 F2P experience, and why I actually kind of liked the command level loot crates on my Smuggler before I dropped to preferred.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Didn’t you only get sprint at level 10 or something

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Sombrerotron posted:

I bet there's some people absolutely clamouring for a TOR equivalent of WoW Classic, though. :whitewater:

I like TOR, but I'd rather have Galaxies back than TOR Classic.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
There's a private Galaxies server that I kind of enjoyed playing on a while back here. It let me play a Rodian, which is a significant improvement on TOR.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
As a big KoTOR fan and Star Wars EU fan in general is it worth playing this for the story?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

As a big KoTOR fan and Star Wars EU fan in general is it worth playing this for the story?

Yes.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yes.

Play a Knight for the most KOTOR 3 story, probably.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

It’s the main reason TO play it at this point honestly. It’s generally good, and even when it’s bad, it’s still fine by video game standards

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Cool. How much of the story content do you need to do with other people?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The flashpoints (TOR's word for dungeons/instances/etc.) they consider big story important stuff are soloable now.

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

Arquinsiel posted:

It let me play a Rodian

This is 100% the main thing I personally want in ToR.

Medullah posted:

Yeah unlike WoW which totally revamped the lvling experience with Cata ToR is the same game it was 7 years ago just a thousand times more user friendly. If morons out there want to Quick Travel every hour instead of no CD nothing's stopping them doing that now and technically you never outlvl any areas so do all the missions you want. :jerkbag:

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Cool. How much of the story content do you need to do with other people?

You'll have two Operations (i.e. raids) to finish the Oricon story or you'll miss out on about 10 seconds of cutscene. That's it.

SM Operations are trivial these days and you can be easily carried if you find a cool group.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
The best credit purchases I ever made were the ones that reduce quick travel cooldowns to zero.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

DrunkenGarbageCan posted:

This is 100% the main thing I personally want in ToR.

You won't get it. Bioware specifically said that species that diverge too far from human are off the table for animation and appearance reasons - yes, romances were specifically cited.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

You'll have two Operations (i.e. raids) to finish the Oricon story or you'll miss out on about 10 seconds of cutscene. That's it.

SM Operations are trivial these days and you can be easily carried if you find a cool group.

On a related note, the BGM for the Dread Masters fights is pretty banging. Very try-hard edgelord, which really kinda sums up the Dread Masters in a nutshell.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Aphrodite posted:

Yes.

Play a Knight for the most KOTOR 3 story, probably.

Counterpoint: Sith Warrior makes for the best consistently good story through the expansions. Knight's main story is loving bad.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's what I said.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Fuzz posted:

Knight's main story is loving bad.

Good. It wasn't just me, then. Sith Sorc main storyline is OK without the Ghostbuster bullshit, but then again, that's pretty much the whole main thrust of Chapter 2.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

XBenedict posted:

Good. It wasn't just me, then. Sith Sorc main storyline is OK without the Ghostbuster bullshit, but then again, that's pretty much the whole main thrust of Chapter 2.

Sorc is great if only for the line, "Do you like my new Superweapon? I built it myself. Mostly."

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I'm going to add an updated OP this weekend, but FYI the PTS is going up tomorrow with some changes for 6.0, including the new Operation!

If you do 5 activities in this phase of the PTS and 10 in the next, when 6.0 launches you will be rewarded with the most amazing mount in the game. Non-entity really outdid himself.

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009
Currently running WZ's in ToR while I've got 3 WoW Classic clients waiting in the queue...good times.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Currently running WZ's in ToR while I've got 3 WoW Classic clients waiting in the queue...good times.

Nerd

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009
I tried to be good and only lvl one account but ToR has spoiled me with companions, can't do the "plink down 1 mob then eat/drink" anymore, gotta go fast.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I tried to be good and only lvl one account but ToR has spoiled me with companions, can't do the "plink down 1 mob then eat/drink" anymore, gotta go fast.

Makes me want to go play EverQuest, kite one yellow mob for 10 minutes, get a sliver of XP, rest for 20 minutes, repeat!

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Medullah posted:

Makes me want to go play EverQuest, kite one yellow mob for 10 minutes, get a sliver of XP, rest for 20 minutes, repeat!

Whooo, look at Mr. Bigshot Non-Melee over here. My experience was more like fight one green mob (or blue if I felt particularly lucky/stupid) for 10 minutes and have about a 50/50 chance of either gaining a sliver of XP or dying and losing 1/10 of a level. Rest for 20 minutes, repeat.

justblais
Apr 28, 2019

its ya boi
I decided to play this game again and can't decide whether to do Bounty Hunter (I got to 35 and stopped) or Smuggler (never played)

I've beaten the story with a Knight

obviously not a lot of people play this anymore but my questions are basically: star forge or satele shan, and is alliance or empire better for casual guild banter (if any happens at all anymore)

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Medullah posted:

Sombrerotron posted:

Not to mention the ordeal that was traversing every planet, and in particular having to fight you way out of tunnels after finishing a mission because all the mobs already respawned.

Edit: also having to spend tons of money on training abilities, the ability to use a speeder (from level 20 onwards, if memory serves) included.

Just from off the top of my head, I remember finally being able to use a speeder nearing the end of Taris. Training was so expensive especially nearing level cap that you had to decide which skill or two you were going to take because it was too costly to buy them all. More than a few times after doing every single quest available on a planet, I still had to grind mobs to make the gap to handle the next planet. Gearing companions was pretty much pick the one you use almost exclusively since with some of the quest rewards you had to choose between gearing yourself or gearing a companion.

I think the people who actively want that sort of classic SWTOR either don't remember exactly how bad it was or are masochists.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
You still get offered kit for your companions at times. I have a bunch of HK-51 gear that you get with the companion which does... nothing. You even get a duplicate of the rifle he uses. Can't even reverse engineer it for mats, just sell it to a vendor.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Nipponophile posted:

Whooo, look at Mr. Bigshot Non-Melee over here. My experience was more like fight one green mob (or blue if I felt particularly lucky/stupid) for 10 minutes and have about a 50/50 chance of either gaining a sliver of XP or dying and losing 1/10 of a level. Rest for 20 minutes, repeat.

Yeah I was spoiled with a Necromancer as my first character. Could kite and if I did pull too much I could feign death. When I decided to go with a Rogue for my next character it was pretty much the exact opposite.

That led to me making a Bard because I wanted a character who could get groups. Ah good times.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I do kind of miss the sense of accomplishment from finishing the last quest in an area and striking off to find the next speeder point. Especially on planets that environmentally made it seem like you were going "deeper," like Coruscant or Belsavis. Also companions being a bit more unique in their animations. Everything else was terrible, of course.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Medullah posted:

I'm going to add an updated OP this weekend, but FYI the PTS is going up tomorrow with some changes for 6.0, including the new Operation!

If you do 5 activities in this phase of the PTS and 10 in the next, when 6.0 launches you will be rewarded with the most amazing mount in the game. Non-entity really outdid himself.

Do you need an active subscription to join in the PTS thing? Haven't played in a long time but this seems like a good excuse to check things out...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Nerd Of Prey posted:

Do you need an active subscription to join in the PTS thing? Haven't played in a long time but this seems like a good excuse to check things out...

You do need to be a subscriber.