Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turbl
Nov 8, 2007

Aleth posted:

Turbl, RescueFreak & Ossipago: go check the guild vault and let us know what you want for a prize - first post, first served!

The rest of you are all terrible for missing out on this incredibly easy contest, or you're all great for recognising that there is no way in hell you could outdo sexy Skadge. :shrug:

Can I have the Umbaran Spider Tank please and thank you

My character is Possums

Turbl fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Nov 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbl
Nov 8, 2007

Invincible Spleen posted:

I'm playing lightning sorcerer and outside of my area effect skill it seems like I have a whole bunch of nearly identical moves. Should I just be using whichever one is does slightly higher damage? Chaining them together?

I'll try a mercenary or sniper and see if they're any better. My only previous MMO experience is Guild Wars 2, so this is a completely different realm of complexity for me.

I usually figure out how to use the main abilities just from reading your skill tree thing in the combat proficiencies. Like if one says "increases crit chance of lightning bolt, thundering blast, chain lightning" or whatever that generally means those are abilities you should be using. Also ones that tell you how to order them, like if it says "thundering blast automatically crits on targets with affliction on them" then you know you should put affliction up before using thundering blast. That's how I get a basic idea of it anyways. You could also try looking up online guides if you prefer that but those are more in-depth than you need since they're mainly for maximizing DPS on raids or whatever. Here's one for lightning sorc: http://dulfy.net/2016/12/26/swtor-5-0-lightning-sorcerer-pve-guide-by-sion/ I'd just scroll down to the "Priority System" part (note: when something says "with proc" it means when the ability on the hotbar is glowing).

But if all you're doing is basic questing you really don't need to worry about it too much if you don't want to. You can literally just force storm everything. But if you want to actually learn it I'd suggest just trying to remember to do one thing at a time, get comfortable with it, then add another thing in. Like start by keybinding affliction to something, and then in every fight make yourself remember to put affliction up first and then do whatever. Once you're doing that automatically, keybind and make yourself remember to do thundering blast after affliction is up and then do whatever until it's back off cooldown, etc.

Turbl
Nov 8, 2007

prefect posted:

I logged on yesterday, and some people had fancy new gold circular icons by their names. I think I saw a "III" and a "IV", and something else I wasn't sure about. What's that mean? Suddenly my "Legendary player" status doesn't feel so shiny. :mad:

The ones with roman numerals are flairs you automatically get when you get to the appropriate command rank. Other than those and the legendary flair you can also get cartel market ones: https://torf.mmo-fashion.com/category/database/item-types/flair/

My favorite is the flair of agony because it looks like a pair of underpants.

Turbl
Nov 8, 2007

Medullah posted:

There was a post with a lot of math that I can't find that gave very specific numbers for alacrity, due to the way it rounds. I just remember "tier 1" was 800, I think "Tier 2" was 1600, and anything in between was wasted stats.

Yeah that's for GCD reduction. It's something like the way it's calculated will round down when determining GCD. So if you have alacrity that's between 800 and 1600 or whatever it is effectively the same as just having 800, which is important for melee classes to know because that's about all they care about reducing (except for DoTs). Casted stuff doesn't have the same problem.

Turbl
Nov 8, 2007

Aleth posted:

This one? https://torf.mmo-fashion.com/ac-5-broadcast-infiltrator/

Looks pretty nifty.

Edit: going to idle at fleet spawn to drum up some more sales for you.

Oh poo poo I hadn't seen that in action before that's pretty awesome.

Turbl
Nov 8, 2007

I've been seeing more people on in the pub guild than the imp guild lately, but they're both at least somewhat active. People usually just talk in discord anyways.

Turbl
Nov 8, 2007

Nipponophile posted:

"Somewhat active" in this case meaning that there may be someone online when you log in.

Yeah it's a low bar.

Turbl
Nov 8, 2007

I've put together a list of all the short stories and story-like blogs that have been posted on the main SWTOR site. For those who don't know, the SWTOR writers sometimes write little short stories that serve as flavor for current or upcoming content and post them on the main site. The problem is that as far as I know there's no specific place on their site to go back and read them all at, you have to sift through all the other news posts to find them. So I made a list containing the links to them since I think a lot of them are pretty cool and newer players might not have seen them.

I've split them into 3 categories: Companion articles, which include little developer blogs about all of the classes first companions (minus Qyzen and Khem Val) and the blogs about the GSF companions. Then the main short stories. Then what I consider to be summaries or informational blogs that are written in an in-character way.

Companion Blogs

Kaliyo Djannis

Kira Carsen

Vette

Aric Jorgan

Mako

Corso Riggs

Imperial GSF Companions

Republic GSF Companions

Short Stories

The Search for Oricon - Log written by Jonas Balkar, takes place prior to Oricon missions

Lana Beniko's Journal: Darth Arkous - Written by Lana, takes place just prior to Depths of Manaan FP

Surface Details - Written by a Selkath on Manaan with appearances from Theron and Lana, takes place just prior to Depths of Manaan FP

Wanted: Dead and Dismantled - About Jakarro and C2-D4

Remnants - About a smuggler on Rakata Prime

Bedtime on Concordia - About Mandalorians telling stories of Shae Vizla

The Price of Power - About Darth Marr and Darth Lachris, just prior to when Lachris took over Balmorra

One Night in the Dealer's Den - About Theron Shan and Jonas Balkar after the events of Yavin 4

The Final Trial - About Lana Beniko during her time as an acolyte on Korriban

Regrets - About Theron Shan and Jace Malcom after the events of Yavin 4

The Sixth Line: Part One - About the Sixth Line prior to Ziost

The Sixth Line: Part Two

Vacation - About Nico Okarr

Brothers - About Arcann and Thexan during their invasion of the Core Worlds

A Mother's Hope - About Senya and Vaylin between KOTFE and KOTET

Trading Scars - About Umbarans, takes place just prior to Crisis on Umbara FP

Chasing Copero - About Theron Shan just prior to A Traitor among the Chiss FP

Storyish Blogs

SIS Intel Report: Makeb Locations - Summary of important locations on Makeb from Theron Shan

Imperial Intelligence Report: Makeb Persons of Interest - Summary of important people on Makeb from Lurker

Facilities: Take a Virtual Tour - Tour of Czerka's CZ-198 locations

A Letter from Special Executive Rasmus Blys - Letter from CZ-198 boss

Work with Pride. Work with Czerka. - Czerka corporation recruitment thing

CZ-198 and the State of Czerka Corporation - Another letter from Rasmus Blys

CZ-198 - Meet the Staff - CZ-198 persons of interest

Baron Deathmark Interview 1 - About PvP stuff

Baron Deathmark Interview 2

A Record of the Dread Masters - A summary of the Dread Masters activities written by Gnost-Dural

Baron Deathmark Interview 3

Imperial Edict GR-1NC4 - Funny blog about Life Day stuff

RE: Kuat Drive Yards - Logs from the Shroud that set-up Kuat Drive Yards story

State of the Galaxy - Summary of the state of the galaxy post Oricon and Kuat but prior to Forged Alliances written by the Shroud

Since KOTOR: Manaan - Summary of the history of Manaan post-KOTOR written by Shuuru

The Revanites' Ascendance - About the Revanites, written by the Shroud

Rishi: Places of Interest - About important locations on Rishi

Raider's Cove: Persons of Interest - About important people on Rishi written by Crysta Markon

Go Big, Go Small, Go Nowhere - Kai Zykken's April Fools blog

Also I made another story flow chart because I wanted it to look nicer

Turbl
Nov 8, 2007

super sweet best pal posted:

Why'd you stop marking the Dark Masters storyline? Without that I wouldn't have learned that clearing Scum and Villainy affected a cutscene on Oricon.

Okay I put back the Dread Masters markers. I just didn't include it in the core story because it requires operations to complete and I wanted the core to be soloable. I added the daily area markers too but are the Belsavis/Ilum/Rishi dailies still a thing? I haven't tried to do them in a long time.

Turbl
Nov 8, 2007

Last time I did a story mode operation was when Aivela and Esne came out and Tyth was no problem but we wiped once on the new encounter because I fat fingered my exfiltrate hotkey and rolled off the edge and died. The tank immediately rage quit (the one who got loot off Tyth of course) and it took us like 30 mins to find another one. We killed it right away once we got someone.

I'm not sure if the point of this story is that pugs suck or that I'm real bad because I get defeated by the boss mechanic of "not having a floor there."

Turbl
Nov 8, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

Is there really any benefit to doing the side poo poo in KOTFE? I just keep opening crates of bad looking gear I don't want and doing really annoying lengthy side quests, and they want me to grind more crates for every Star Fortress? Should I just mainline the story until endgame?

If you're talking about the Alliance Alerts and Star Fortresses then yeah just mainline the story. You can always go back and do that stuff after if you want to.

Turbl
Nov 8, 2007

New roadmap update posted:

quote:

Hey everyone,

I think for all of us, this Roadmap process we started last year could stand a bit of improvement. Instead of providing information every 90 days or so, it’s taking a lot longer to get you any information about what we’re planning, and honestly, that needs to change. I’m still reticent about communicating details beyond 90 days, but I do want you to be comfortable with our direction and where we are headed.

With this in-mind, we’ve decided to use the Forums as the means to get you the information about the next couple months versus waiting for a Roadmap. This will allow us to be more responsive to your questions, address your concerns, and maintain a better dialog going forward. It also helps us (especially me) to stay available and not make it seem like we’ve disappeared into the ether. Here is what you can expect in March and April this year (2018):

March 13 – Game Update 5.8 - Command Authority

Operations:
Izax, The Destroyer - The 5th and final boss from the Gods from the Machine Operation. There will be two modes with Izax; Story and Master mode. This also means we will not be offering a full Master Mode for all bosses in the Operation. This was an especially difficult decision for me to make, as I have loved the interaction between developers and our raiding community. Yet, based on what we’re planning for this year and beyond, it’s better to focus on the upcoming group content.
However, we are going to run a special Izax event for those who are worthy enough to defeat him. Everyone who does will have an opportunity to receive a new achievement, a special and unique Title, and a new and very enticing Legacy-based reward.
Note, we’ll deliver the Title and Reward when we launch Game Update 5.9 – The Nathema Conspiracy.

Conquest Revamp:
We have all enjoyed receiving our rewards each week! Ok, in reality, we’ve had our fair share of issues this past year, but going forward, we want Conquests to be a consistently fun activity for Guilds and individual participants.
As a result, we’ve made substantial improvements to the Conquest system including a new interface, new daily objectives, new missions, and more. Most importantly, we have rewritten the backend system to ensure you benefit from your weekly efforts. Look for details in an upcoming blog or forum post.
A new Conquest Vendor will appear for those who complete their personal conquests each week. It’ll initially have Decorations and a new Companion boost called the Commander’s Compendium which will increase your active companion to influence level 50. More on this below.
Companions:
Arcann Romance – Everyone’s favorite former villain has had a change of heart and may be more “available” than he was previously.
Companion Return: Vector – Imperial Agents will see the return of Vector Hyllus! Easily the best member of the Killik hivemind.
Companion Return: Ashara Zavros will return to the Sith Inquisitor’s side. How will things go with her former master?
Commander’s Compendium – Personally, I like having various companions with influence level 50 available and depending on the fight, I might want a ranged DPS, or a melee type healer, or whatever. I also like the various animations and barks from a variety of our companions. We are introducing a new companion gift that can immediately raise the influence level of your companion to 50, but it’s expensive, requires some crafting, and requires you to complete your Personal Conquest objectives before you can purchase it from the vendor.

Cartel Market: We improved the way we operated the Cartel Market last year based on your feedback. The team is looking at making additional big changes starting with Game Update 5.8. We’ll give you more details when we’re a few days away from release.

April – Game Update 5.9 - The Nathema Conspiracy
Flashpoint:
This year’s story has shown the final ramifications of the path that Valkorion first chose when he devastated Nathema, so it’s only natural that we go there to bring that story to its exciting conclusion.
We’ve added powerful new Augments for those who need additional stats to help take down Izax in Master Mode. Or, you simply want to be OP! In this new Flashpoint, we’ll provide legacy-based Crafting Patterns (Bind-on-Pickup – BOP) which will drop randomly off mobs and Bosses. If you’re one of the lucky ones, you may also find a Bind-on-Equip (BOE) version of the same patterns. We’ll follow up with the materials needed to craft the Augments.

Operations:
Izax offers an amazing new reward
We are providing a new vendor just outside the Gods from the Machine Operation offering special items to those players who have earned an achievement for killing Izax, The Destroyer.

Companions:
Companion Return: Felix Iresso – The Jedi Consular’s loyal soldier has had a rough time these last few years – can the Consular help him?
Companion Return: Mako and Akaavi - Bounty Hunters and Smugglers are reunited with this duo, who’ve been working together during the players’ absence.

Subscriber Rewards: We have a series of Subscriber promotions throughout the next few months… look for details in your email, on the Launcher, or on the SWTOR website. For example, the February Share your Love of SWTOR started yesterday and ends February 27, 2017.

Beyond April – Discussion Topic!
As we look back to 2017 and now beyond the conclusion of the traitor storyline, we are planning to continue delivering content in the same manner throughout 2018. When you look at the total year, you received a wide variety of both multi-player and solo activities including a new story, Strongholds, Starfighter updates, a new Warzone, two new Flashpoints, and a new Operation, along with many Quality of Life improvements.

We heard feedback from some of you indicating you missed having a more “traditional” expansion and you’d rather wait so it all comes at once. I like having updates released regularly versus waiting long periods of time in-between patches. Although this remains our current plan, we are also laying out what we’ll include in a 6.0 Game Update. We’ll keep you informed of our summer, fall and winter plans throughout the coming months.

We look forward to expanding more on what you can expect in 5.8, 5.9, and beyond! As often as we can, we will be around in the thread to answer your many questions about those updates. Looking forward to having some good discussions.

--- Keith

Izax is technically Story and Veteran mode but the Veteran mode is tuned to Master mode difficulty. The special Izax rewards will only be earnable in Veteran mode during the time period between 5.8 and 5.9.

Season 9 PvP should end sometime in summer but no concrete date yet. 5.9 will have some utility changes and likely skank tank nerfs.

Turbl
Nov 8, 2007

Exioce posted:

I just completed Chapter 1 of the Imperial Agent story. It really made me stop and think, and I'd like to know other people's thoughts.

At the time, I believed my options were:

1. Side with Jadus. I rejected this offhand as his plan was gibberish. A democracy of terror? What?
2. Don't give him the codes, and the Eradicators fire indiscriminately. I figured that would be bad, so I rejected that.
3. Give him the codes, and the Eradicators fire at other Sith. I thought this was the better option, Sith killing Sith, and it's the one I chose.

I learnt later you could talk him out of it, and he goes off to possibly cause trouble later. I wouldn't have chosen this had I known it existed, as the threat remains.

Is my assessment of the options basically correct? Next part of the story indicates I'm going to become a double agent, but I'm thinking the Sith rule is dumb and wasteful and if given the option I'll probably defect to the SIS

Agent act 1 spoilers:
I think this is mostly right except I'm not sure the Eradicators ever fire indiscriminately. I might be wrong but from what I remember unless you do the talk him down route you always end up with either choosing to shut the eradicators down completely or put your codes in so Jadus can start his attack. So the options are:
1. Talk Jadus down, which results in him getting away but you save the ship and all the people on it and the eradicators never fire. You also don't have to fight him.
2. Choose to shut down the eradicators. This results in them never firing but Jadus attacks you and you have to fight him. You get him trapped in the ray shielding and then fight through the ship to set the reactor to explode and escape. Jadus escapes during this time though, and you lose the ship and the prisoners.
3. Choose to input your codes so the eradicators are activated. This leads to two further choices: join Jadus and become his Hand, or betray him by sabotaging the ship. Betraying him leads to the fight but this time when he gets ray shielded he gets arrested.

But yeah if stopping Jadus is your primary concern setting off the eradicators and then arresting him is probably the best option. I'm partial to the talking him down route because it blows Watcher Two's mind.

Turbl
Nov 8, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

is there anything that gets locked after you finish the available missions in KOTET? Mostly I'm looking at the star fortresses that i'm still working on. I want to know if those are always available to finish later or if there's a point where they get locked, kind of like what happens if you don't finish main quest stuff before starting in on KOTFE.

You can do star fortresses anytime. I think them and the alliance alerts are always available.

Turbl
Nov 8, 2007

SirPhoebos posted:

It's the one in chapter 1 on Tarsis. You're trying to develop a cure for the plague, and the doctor says "hey you're a Jedi/you're ooh-rah tough/I'm sure you've sold at least one kidney already*, go get infected!"

*no clue what she actually tells a Smuggler

You have to let one of the red rakghouls attack you specifically. I think there are some just up north from where the quest giver is. Just turn your companion on passive and then attack it to make sure it's on you and you should get the debuff pretty quickly.

Turbl
Nov 8, 2007

I played KOTOR2 but I actually enjoyed reading Scorchy's LP of it more than I enjoyed playing it. It's an interesting story but it really felt too much like an unfinished mess of a game. Especially the end part.

Turbl
Nov 8, 2007

Malek posted:

Haven't jumped on this a while...

Any new updates or missions since the whole "Train" mission?
EDIT: Actually wait, the last mission I did was the one on the Chiss world.

Yeah they added another mission called Nathema Conspiracy that wraps up that story arc. You pick it up on your ship console.

Also you can get Iresso back if you're Consular, and Mako and Akaavi if you're Smuggler or Bounty Hunter.

Turbl
Nov 8, 2007

I said come in! posted:

The score limit to win Huttball is no longer 6 points, but does anyone know what it was increased to?

It goes to 10 now but if one team has a 6 point advantage it ends early.

Turbl
Nov 8, 2007

Berke Negri posted:

so ive come back to catch up on the storyline and want to actually level up crafting for some reason

i have cybertech on my main and thats at ... 231/600. scavenging and underworld trading are at 600. should i just send out companions to collect lower level mats and just craft whatever seems to get the most exp? will this be extremely credit expensive to level up? is cybertech even worth it??

edit: also what the heck is up with the difficulty on story uprisings some of these are like next to impossible with pugs

Leveling crafting is really easy, you can just send companions out to get lower level mats if you don't want to bother getting them yourself. I don't think it costs that much, but I guess it depends on how many credits you have. Just craft the green 'assembly components' to level it up, you get new schematics from the trainer regularly for each mat rank so you can keep making those the whole way without having to worry about blue or higher mats. I don't know if Cybertech in particular is worth it, I think you can make some mods that sell decently. And augment kits.

And yeah uprisings vary a lot, some of them are really easy, some of them are annoying and difficult.

Turbl
Nov 8, 2007

So good. Your videos always remind of those old Starfleet Dental ones.

Turbl
Nov 8, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Is there a release date yet for Jedi Under Siege? I shouldn't be excited about this but I am, it sounds like everything i've wanted from SWTOR since Bioware decided to remove open world environments in place of story driven linear content.

Dec. 11th. Always possible it'll get pushed back a week at the last minute though.

Turbl
Nov 8, 2007

Gasoline posted:

Pretty sure I did everything, accepting Theron back (or not) is the end, right?

But yeah, when I go to start the mission on my ship it does this:

Unless everyone gets that?

Everyone gets that. All my old choices seemed to work fine, the only thing that's messed up is some of the descriptions in the companion and contacts window, but it doesn't affect the story.

Turbl
Nov 8, 2007

Nadia and Jaesa can start a romance with female Consular and female Warrior respectively after Ossus story.

If you consider a single brief conversation a romance anyways.

Turbl
Nov 8, 2007

Siegkrow posted:

CHRIS AVELLONE IS WORKING ON ANOTHER STAR WARS GAME
THIS IS NOT A DRILL
THIS IS NOT A DRILL

https://www.pcgamer.com/star-wars-jedi-fallen-order-release-date/

I was more excited for this before finding out they chose the most boring possible protagonist.

If there's good lightsaber combat I'll play it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbl
Nov 8, 2007

Pryce posted:

Okay first of all, you hosed up, we always have more drink tickets. But thank you for helping us hit our bar tab minimum without much trouble :P

But yeah, I'm pretty sure I came and hung out right at the start(?); were you sitting in the darkness?

Enough of the Medullah/Pryce lovefest though, everyone else tell me what you think/love/hate about the announcement so I can bring it back to the team. We're extremely extremely nervous about stuff and want to help address concerns as early and earnestly as possible.

I like getting new abilities but I feel like ability bloat has gotten a bit bad, maybe for some classes more than others, so I'd like to know if there's going to be any reworking of current abilities to reduce the number of them or anything as well as getting new abilities.

Other than that my only concern is the gearing stuff, which probably just needs a detailed explanation including how you get it, how many options there are, does everything work in both pve/pvp or would there be things that only work in one and not the other, etc. Also maybe I'm not entirely understanding it but there are the new tactical items, but also a variety of new set bonuses? Do the set bonuses work the same way now, where they're on an armoring? If you want to have multiple set bonuses that you switch between, do you have to have a different armoring for each type you want? Like do you need to carry these items around with you? Or will there be a way to easily switch between them without micromanaging what gear you have with you? Or do tactical items just change the set bonuses or something?

Basically I liked everything but I'm just confused about the gear stuff.