Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

I also didn't lose any name conflicts, except to myself, which was a relief.

I've been camping the name "Doug" since they first fired up the servers on pre-launch day, and even though I currently had it on a placeholder dude who's like level 20, I managed to hang onto it.

One odd thing that happened is a high-level character I deleted and re-rolled came back from the dead. I have two of him now. It scared me for a minute because his name was lit up red and the origin server was the main one I played on, but the real version of him on the same server was the one using the name. Somehow in the merge he got un-deleted. The reason I had rerolled him is I did the "instant 60" thing but I was miffed about losing all the titles and companion relationships and stuff from a level 1 character. You can practically do the 1-50 story in one sitting these days so I said gently caress it and started over. I guess now I have a level 65 Juggernaut I can remake into some other character...

In other news, I actually play on the same server as the rest of you now, for the first time ever. Greetings!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Nice, that is actually a pretty decent outfit.

I always loved that helmet, but with previous versions of it they inexplicably weighted it for facial animations so the face part would distort during cutscenes. I'm curious to see if it's still like that...

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Well, it's true that THE best name has already been taken, by me...

Edit: Also this one...

Nerd Of Prey fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Nov 12, 2017

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

My characters lost their UI's but kept all their keybinds. Restoring the UI is as simple as loading my saved one, but that does require having one saved. Even if you have to start over on a new PC, you only have to do your UI and keybinds once, since they can be exported/imported.

Unless you're some kind of lunatic who uses a different keybind / UI setup on each character...

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Seeing somebody post here with a big red title about some forums beef just reminds me... Back in the day when this game was new, some anonymous goon really hated my posts about it for reasons I could not figure out. Like I wasn't getting into nasty arguments with people or saying inflammatory things. My posts were usually pretty positive, because I always liked this game. But somebody hated my posts about it enough to shell out for big red titles for me on two occasions, calling me a "poo poo poster." What they didn't know is, my brother was an admin and would just change it back for me for free, so that was a hilarious waste of that person's time and money. That's ultimately how I landed on my current "won't shut up about Star Wars" avatar, though. I figured whoever the hater was, it was something we could agree on. And hey, it seemed to work, it's stuck for like five years now!

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

I had three or four copies of several characters. Some were placeholders on other servers to safeguard names in case of mergers or transfers. Some I leveled up on other servers to get more DvL bonuses. I deleted the mostly unplayed low-level ones after the big merge, but I still have doubles or triples of some people.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Those bugged gifts aren't exactly free, they're 960 credits each for the purple ones, which adds up, but it is a reasonable price and worth investing in some if you've got a lot of credits to burn.

Edit, so as not to double-post: The minipet they're giving out right now just for logging on is actually pretty rad, it's a mini Karagga mech with the infamous big purple hat on it.

Nerd Of Prey fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Nov 30, 2017

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Uhhh what? I just bought a hypercrate of the new packs and got mostly poo poo from old packs in it. I did get a couple of cool new things but most of what I got was stuff I already have from ages ago. Was there some kind of crazy change to how cartel packs work that I somehow never heard about? Is every new pack just supposed to be a grab bag of randomly mixed new and old poo poo? Is this a bug? Whatever it is, it's upsetting. I'm fairly used to being disappointed by these packs, but this time I really feel cheated.

Edit: Guess it's just how they work now. You get a whopping one new item per pack. That really sucks.

Nerd Of Prey fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Nov 30, 2017

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Mikemo Tyson posted:

Oof, forgot how awful the Hero Engine is. I have a stutter every couple of seconds, no fps drop, just a slight tick in animations and it's driving me crazy.

I remember there being a specific fix for this issue... toggling vsynch, maybe? Or windowed mode? It's a pretty common issue, but not hard to fix, as I recall.

Edit: This reminds me of a persistent issue in Skyrim, and for all I know the cause might be similar. Skyrim's wonky physics engine is tied to its framerate, and stuff will fly around the room like it's haunted if it goes over 60 FPS. It's easy enough to limit the framerate to 60, but that tends to cause a weird stuttering issue. Eventually somebody figured out that if you limit it at the software level to 60 fps, but your computer is way faster than that, it will render 60 frames in a fraction of a second and then just hang and wait for the rest of the second to pass, then render 60 more real fast, and so on. So roughly every second you get a weird frame jump while the rendering catches up, and it looks awful. But of course the computer will still tell you you're getting a steady 60 fps!

The real fix turns out to be, you limit the framerate of your GPU, not of the game. If you tell your graphics card to chill at 60 fps, it will usually know how to pace itself, and boom, no more stutter. I had to download some 3rd party tools to much around in my GPU settings, but it worked out. In the case of SWTOR I think it can be worked around via basic game settings.

Nerd Of Prey fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Dec 16, 2017

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

There's strong arguments for both Sith characters going through the post-60 storylines; the Inquisitor is arguably the more powerful character, personally and politically, but the Warrior has a much more personal relationship with the Emperor.

The Jedi Knight has the most personal relationship with the emperor, though. If you're inclined to disagree with this, you're not remembering the Knight story well enough. In fact, the expansion story seems to me like it was obviously written for the Knight and then awkwardly wiggled around a little so other characters could be substituted. You want evidence of this, check out all the promotional in-game footage from KotFE. Their "generic" player character wears knight gear and carries a blue lightsaber.

So... in that sense... they did continue at least one class story...

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

I can honestly say SWTOR has the best "dress-up" system of any MMO I have played. WoW's is absolute garbage. Been playing ESO lately and its cosmetic gear is meh... got it's pros and cons. Better dye system, but otherwise mostly inferior.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Revan was inside you all along. You only had to believe.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

It's been a really long time since I mentioned this... speaking of companions healing...

The best move you can make with a healing companion in this game is to toggle off their channeled crowd control stun thing immediately. They all have one, and it's never useful. It's just time and energy they don't spend healing you or fighting, and they're not very smart about picking targets, and in some cases it can end up mucking up your strategy.

Usually doesn't matter these days since companions are overpowered and everything is pretty easy, but if you're doing anything challenging with your companion out, their wasted effort with that stun can really slow you down.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Are you guys talking about this armor? I didn't think that required a unique code. I just put SPECIALFORCES in the code redemption screen like it said on Dulfy, but that was a while ago. I thought they pretty much stopped doing the unique code thing for stuff like this? What's going on?

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Bloodplay it again posted:

I just had an insert from Battlefront 2 and since I haven't played TOR in years at this point, I wanted to post codes here for people that might actually use em.

I'm not trying to call you out or anything, I'm just a little confused about what's going on. Can't figure out if it's a different thing, or a different way to get the same thing.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Medullah posted:

Same thing, just like I said before BUT YOU IGNORED ME the SPECIAL FORCES code was only good for a few weeks.

Oops sorry, side effect of the BIG YELLOW BOX when people quote me. Forgot to scroll up...

So hey, I just realized something pretty cool. In the big-rear end server merge, it combined all my decoration totals, so if I had the same decoration on two servers, I have two of it now. And because I transferred characters around a few times in the past, cloning my whole legacy onto other servers in the process, I've doubled and tripled the total amount of most decorations I own.

In a lot of cases this doesn't mean much; who cares if I have 600 chairs instead of 300 or whatever, I'm not using all those. But like, I have two loving sandcrawlers now! I have two or three of a lot of really rare things, things that are crazy to have two of. I also doubled and tripled a lot of direct-sale decorations that cost real money, or things that were a pain in the rear end to craft. Tons of starships, those gigantic ship computer things, piles of cantina decorations... Plus NPC's I had to buy with cartel certificates. I have dozens of sexy dancers! I bought one of every available jukebox at one point, and now I have two of every available jukebox. This is pretty fuckin awesome. It might actually be worth getting some more strongholds now.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Medullah posted:

There's a guild on Star Forge called <Your Companion> and I fall for it way too often.

When are we going to see our Porg mount?

I was in the <Your Companion> guild in beta, and I would jump in and help other players as often as I could just to gently caress with them. I heard our guild got reported as a bug many, many times.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

I would absolutely be in favor of story mode ops being dumbed way, way down. Honestly the only times I've really enjoyed ops were back in the day before everything got level-scaled, and I got to finally blow through all the level 50 content with a couple of buddies when we were level 60. This is because the challenge does not interest me, and the mechanics largely do not interest me. Generally speaking, I approach video game mechanics the way Indiana Jones approaches a sword fight.

I play RPG's for the story, and most other aspects can gently caress off at this point. I'm glad that hard modes are there for people who appreciate that poo poo, but I really don't. And I really feel like "story mode" is a misnomer. For those of us who literally only want to play it for the story, it's like a bad joke. From my perspective, if you can't outright ignore most of the mechanics, it's not really "story mode." If it's even technically possible to gently caress up a "story mode" run, I feel like they're doing it wrong.

I feel like the difficulty level on solo mode flashpoints is a pretty good benchmark. It's basically "the bad guys don't die unless you hit them." Perfect!

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Yeah. I could point out, as it relates to my argument here: I have done real raiding before and I wasn't that bad at it. I've been in serious progression groups with scheduled raid times and stuff, I was mostly on my Juggernaut tank, we had a good group and we rocked it. That scene definitely has its own appeal, but it is ultimately not as fun for me as a leisurely run though where I get to take in the scenery and enjoy the story, and not have to stress about aggro swapping at the perfect moment.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Reminder that anybody who feels like the game is too easy can just dismiss their companion. Instant hard mode!

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Alter Ego posted:

I sometimes wish that you could change either the sound your lightsaber makes when you ignite it or the move that your character makes when he/she draws a lightsaber.

Hey, they gave us customization options for almost everything else...

The equippable "personalities" in Elder Scrolls Online that change your character's animations are awesome, and more games should do it.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Agreed. Blasters too, some of the blasters sound awesome and some sound really wimpy. There's absolutely no way to know what you'll get until you buy it.

Dulfy.net puts up videos of a lot of SWTOR weapons and vehicles when they're released, so you can see what they sound like.

My Sith assassin got a dual saber once that had no sound effects at all. It's just dead silent. It's disconcerting, but also kind of fun for a stealthy character. The silent killer...
(It was an unmoddable purple weapon, but it was an upgrade at that time so he used it for a while. The model is used a lot in the game and usually has sound; I just lucked out.)

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

I didn't really hate the new storylines until the "traitor" plot where I felt like it jumped the shark real hard. What I did hate is the lack of replayability. I've played most of the class stories at least twice, some of them way more than that, and I still felt like they offered something new when you play a different character and make different choices. I played KOTFE one time with a Jedi Knight... and basically just stopped playing SWTOR after that.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

The male relationship with Nadia is really creepy... Particularly for me because I made a really old-looking character and accidentally picked what I thought was a neutral "let her down gently" dialogue choice but turned out to be a "now we start making out" dialogue choice, and I was too shocked to escape out of it, so the romance was just locked in at that point... Ugh. The overall master/student creepiness was only compounded by what seemed like a fairly extreme age gap...

Kira Carsen's romance arc with the knight wasn't that bad, by comparison... she seemed like more of an equal storywise, and she also showed up early enough in the story (on the newbie planet!) that it doesn't feel forced, like they actually go through a lot together as a team. Nadia doesn't even show up until chapter 2, and doesn't unlock as a companion until the consular story is almost over. I don't think any other romance characters were dropped on you that late in the game.

And can I bring up one more time my pet peeve that every force user's "apprentice" love interest is a girl? The only male force-user companions are basically monsters, one way or another. Have they added any since Arcann?

In other news, I have not been playing this game much lately but I logged in last night and spent my accumulated hutt bux on those packs of underworld lowlife NPC's, which were a pretty badass addition to my dirty, Mos Eisley-esque stronghold. Weird that the cantina musicians are dead silent, but hey, I put a jukebox next to them so it kinda works. I feel like it would have been better to have one full-band decoration on a little stage that functionally IS a jukebox, like you click it and they start rockin' out.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

They finally made a hutt decoration, which I've wanted forever, but I'm pretty disappointed at the execution. Should have been an "arrangement" with the hutt reclining on a big lounger with a monkey lizard and one or two minions.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

I was just checking my bank account and was surprised to see that my SWTOR subscription fee (for 3 months) had randomly been refunded on the 1st of this month. I didn't get an email about it or anything. Been meaning to cancel it one of these days since I don't play enough for it to matter much, but I don't feel like they would just refund a subscription I don't use out of the kindness of their hearts.

I was just talking to a friend about this and he joked "easier than telling you about the class action lawsuit," and now I'm wondering if there IS some kind of crazy story behind this... Anybody else get quietly handed their subscription money back? Is it just me?

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Does the new storyline let you skip over the whole Valkorian story arc if your character never did it? Most of my characters never had a reason to do that poo poo... Like I honestly enjoyed a lot about it, but one run through on a Jedi was pretty much enough. This spy stuff sounds like it would be a lot more fun for non-Force dudes.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Medullah posted:

They actually added a good chunk of them to a vendor on the fleet. Look in the top left part of the imperial fleet and bottom right of the Republic one for the Adaptive Gear Vendor.

Also they made this change after moddable gear basically stopped mattering completely, due to the outfit system. If you're into dress-up, every piece of gear that's ever existed in the game is effectively moddable now. And while you're leveling it sure is easier swapping whole pieces than paying out the rear end to move individual mods around. Extremely positive changes for dress-up if you ask me.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

They should have made social points account-wide a loooooong time ago.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

I feel like the storytelling got a lot better in the last couple expansions, like on a technical level... I made a post ages ago about how cutting away to the villains now and then made such a difference in how the story moved and felt, made it feel way more like you're playing a Star Wars movie and made the scale of the player's actions feel way bigger.

But that's just on a technical level, really. The actual story was a lot of :wtf: and sorely lacking in replayability.

If they could somehow retrofit the mostly-enjoyable 1-50 stories to have that kind of cinematic punch while you're playing, then you'd hit the sweet spot.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

I played a knight in the beta for a long time, but they kept resetting and wiping our characters so I never got past like level 35. I never got to see how the story ended until the game went live.

That was kind of a problem across the board at launch... the constant character wipes meant high-level content got almost no testing. It definitely took them a while to get their poo poo straight, but it's come a long way.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Are you guys forgetting that you could pick up a full set of high-level gear for T7 during the quest?

...by doing a hidden objective nobody knew about?

...involving a needlessly difficult puzzle?

...which was frequently broken?

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Another thing with the outfit system: You can put dyes directly into an outfit slot, but the dye is consumed and will be gone forever if you put a different item in the slot. If you're using any kind of rare or expensive dye, it's better to dye the actual item, then stamp it into the outfit, then store it in your bank. That way you've got a backup if you rearrange your outfit.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

I've played through the Sith Warrior story a few times, and by far the most fun was when I totally ignored dark side / light side and just picked the sassiest answer every time. Baras gets SO mad at you!

Whenever the knight vs. warrior argument comes up with the Valkorian storyline, I feel like everybody constantly forgets that the knight is the only player character who actually has conversations with the Sith Emperor during their class story, and that this happens multiple times starting from really early in the story, and that the literal emperor himself is the main boss you fight at the end of both chapter 2 AND 3, and that the knight destroying the emperor's physical body sets in motion pretty much every other major event in the ongoing story. The emperor pops up in the background of a few other stories, but nobody else ever meets him. Only the knight has any kind of established one-on-one relationship with the dude. Not only that, the knight is literally possessed / mind-controlled by the emperor as a central plot point in their story, so that is already an established element of said relationship. I mean the story definitely works if you're a warrior, the pieces fit better than most classes... but if you are trying to figure out who it was written for, it is not even a question. It's a direct sequel to the knight story.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

My long-running joke about Baras is that he was named that because he's embarassed about his weight.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Berke Negri posted:

well command ranks are getting dumpstered so that's nice

I haven't played this game in a long time, and I'm simultaneously glad to hear this and sad for all the people that went through that grind, only to have it totally wiped away. Like we all know MMO's are a pointless treadmill, but that's a harsh reminder. I bet there's going to be a lot of rage about that.

Let's see how their next weird meta-progression thing pans out. The grind is dead, long live the grind!

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

I wouldn't say favorite, but I always thought Bounty Hunter stood out for being the best "neutral" story where you're really not invested in Empire vs. Republic at all, except to the extent that both sides are a pain in your rear end. Smuggler gets caught up in the cause early and often. Agent is always in the thick of it and can play both sides to some degree, but Bounty Hunter is consistently playing neither, with a big focus on staying independent. It ends up with a cool us-against-the-galaxy vibe that you don't get from the others. Reminded me of Firefly.

I miss this game sometimes. Might give it another try one day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Medullah posted:

I'm going to add an updated OP this weekend, but FYI the PTS is going up tomorrow with some changes for 6.0, including the new Operation!

If you do 5 activities in this phase of the PTS and 10 in the next, when 6.0 launches you will be rewarded with the most amazing mount in the game. Non-entity really outdid himself.

Do you need an active subscription to join in the PTS thing? Haven't played in a long time but this seems like a good excuse to check things out...