Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

What's the best class story?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I haven't played since I beat KOTET. Do you actually ever do, like, emperor stuff, or is it all you going on death-defying adventures with your space waifu still

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

i'm stunned that day 1 of a big change for swtor has gone badly

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Finally, I can look like a Star Wars video game character in SWTOR

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Turbl posted:

I usually figure out how to use the main abilities just from reading your skill tree thing in the combat proficiencies. Like if one says "increases crit chance of lightning bolt, thundering blast, chain lightning" or whatever that generally means those are abilities you should be using. Also ones that tell you how to order them, like if it says "thundering blast automatically crits on targets with affliction on them" then you know you should put affliction up before using thundering blast. That's how I get a basic idea of it anyways. You could also try looking up online guides if you prefer that but those are more in-depth than you need since they're mainly for maximizing DPS on raids or whatever. Here's one for lightning sorc: http://dulfy.net/2016/12/26/swtor-5-0-lightning-sorcerer-pve-guide-by-sion/ I'd just scroll down to the "Priority System" part (note: when something says "with proc" it means when the ability on the hotbar is glowing).

But if all you're doing is basic questing you really don't need to worry about it too much if you don't want to. You can literally just force storm everything. But if you want to actually learn it I'd suggest just trying to remember to do one thing at a time, get comfortable with it, then add another thing in. Like start by keybinding affliction to something, and then in every fight make yourself remember to put affliction up first and then do whatever. Once you're doing that automatically, keybind and make yourself remember to do thundering blast after affliction is up and then do whatever until it's back off cooldown, etc.

It's daunting to try and learn how a new class works if you're jumping right into the deep end rotation, but it's not too bad if you're leveling up from level 1. Every time you get a new skill/trait, just take a look and think "what does this do to my core skill set" and adjust accordingly. Some of the stuff you unlock is gonna be bleeding edge crap like "critting on a skill you don't use reduces a cooldown you forgot you had by .4 seconds" but the stuff you wanna pay close attention to is the stuff that changes how your core abilities work.

I haven't played lightning sorc in a while but a lot of how that one works iirc is that you have a lot of abilities with cast times, but casting some of them will make others instant cast and/or auto-crit so you want to use them in the order that maximizes those advantages. If you're constantly sitting there casting spells the long way you're doing it wrong. Something on your cast bar should be glowing at basically all times.

It used to be so much worse, back when there were skill trees, and before they added that thing that makes your abilities glow when you've proc'd something. A good rule of thumb is that if a button is glowing, you should press it, and then figure out what it is you did that made it glow and do that over and over again. At the end of the day, the easier classes (marks sniper, arse merc, lightning sorc) only use about 4-6 skills to do the bulk of their damage, and using them in the right order becomes second nature before too long.

I used to main marksman sniper, but I think I find arsenal merc and lightning sorc to be a little more user-friendly. Marksman's still extremely easy, but it requires you to stay put more than the other classes, which on rare occasions might require you to think a little bit and make a quick decision

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

DrunkenGarbageCan posted:

lol don't get your precious feelings hurt glancing at general chat now and then.

My new favorite PvP insult is to accuse people of being transfers from "that RP server," it really gets under people's skin.

It’s been Extremely Bad since the election. My favorite pvp insult that I got was “gently caress your legendary title”

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

DrunkenGarbageCan posted:

MMO general chat has always been Extremely Bad. It just blows my mind that people get so agitated by what some random rear end in a top hat is saying in general.

It’s like people going apeshit about having to take ten seconds to delete credit seller emails. Get some real problems.

I can kind of understand it if you’re trying to let your kids play the cool Star Wars game, because the chat will absolutely destroy a young mind

Although I guess any online game is gonna do that

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I said come in! posted:

I am happy knowing that my main is a day 1 head start character and one of the oldest characters in the game. :colbert:

I played around launch but I spent some time away and deleted all my characters to start fresh. So much legacy gone, like tears in the rain

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Kly posted:

i know everyone says the trooper story kinda sucks but this M1-4X companion is great

Everyone generally likes forex yeah, he owns

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Medullah posted:

Without space barring and exploring every nook and cranny it took me just shy of 2 hours.

For a flashpoint??? What the hell

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I feel like even EC is shorter than two hours. I'm flabbergasted

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Medullah posted:

Edit - Timothy Zahn helped write it

I'm back on board

Does it have a solo version at least? I feel like I don't want to play with pubbies for that long.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I think the game is currently more fun to play than it ever was during the time I was playing it, it's just unfortunate that i've already played it to death up until this cool new point and it doesn't offer enough to keep me subbed and logging in

All I ever wanted from this game was to be able to burn directly through the class stories without having to grind for xp to keep my level up to date, and now that's a game feature by default, which owns. It's just that once you do it all, there's really no reason to do it again, and now I've done it all.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Medullah posted:

But there are so many new doors for you to die in....

That's the thing....it's all the same doors....

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Nerd Of Prey posted:

I remember there being a specific fix for this issue... toggling vsynch, maybe? Or windowed mode? It's a pretty common issue, but not hard to fix, as I recall.

Yeah I had that problem and it was an easy fix....I don't remember exactly what I did, but it was related to something with setting it to windowed mode, that i'm pretty sure about.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I'd argue that SI is one of the least sastifying classes to take into the expansion content because by the end of the class story, you have all the cool poo poo that hobbes mentioned, but once you start any of the expansion content (KOTFE in particular) you have exactly as much status as a bounty hunter or a trooper and it doesn't feel quite right

Basically don't worry about picking the best class for the most satisfying story for the expansions because they're not really written with care. Force users make more sense than the blaster classes but honestly it just doesn't matter too much, play the class you have the most fun playing with.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I feel like at a bare minimum, they’ll keep the SWTOR lights on until the new trilogy is wrapped up. There’s movie tie-in outfits to gamble for, it’d be crazy to shut it down before then.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Soloing raids is a no go, they’re level sync’d.

SWTORS glamour system is different from wow, but very good. You have cosmetic slots that you assign gear to, and then no matter what you actually have equipped, you’ll look like your cosmetic slot. You can unlock additional slots with credits and quickly swap between outfits. Or, you can not use them, and look like a clown, if you choose

That only applies to armor though, you can’t use the outfit designer on weapons, unless that’s changed. But most endgame gear is just a shell that you put mods into to build your stats, so that’s sort of customizable too

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

It’s everything, but the flip side is that everything gives you xp as though you were doing it at your current level. So grinding dromund kaas heroics at level 40 is still going to be worth the effort, for example. It’s a good change.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Medullah posted:

I liked the Shadow of Revan storyline mostly because before it was released they made Revan a poo poo level 35 flashpoint boss when he deserved to be more.

Also you had to run both an imp and pub character to see the whole story

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

For leveling, you can do whatever the hell you want at this point in the game's cycle. All companions can be set to heal mode and as long as you aren't trying to punch 10 levels above your weight or pull entire maps, you will never die. Tank is fine for this, the DPS specs for juggernaut are also perfectly viable. Just do what looks cool

slicing is a low effort profession. You find Boxes in the wild, you click on them, they give you money, you don't have to sell anything. I don't know how much money you get out of its mission skills at this point in the game, but there used to be money in that, too

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Statutory Ape posted:

We call this realism mode

Canonically, your character is one of the good ones, they can take a joke, they're cool

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Small thing, but it's kind of funny how the automatic name generator on character creation gives you names that are already taken or are invalid.

I wondered about that...

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

At one point I accidentally made one of my characters look exactly like Malavai Quinn (I have a type shut up) so I'd just follow Sith Warriors around to confuse them

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Are there any outfits that make you look like Magneto? I just had a great idea for a sage costume

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Any content that requires real communication and coordination should never be subjected to a random queue finder

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

There’s also just an overwhelming amount of ~stuff~ going on that it’s a little overwhelming if you’re new. Though I guess you could say the same of any raid

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Medullah posted:

I don't deny that they can be a bit challenging, but there SHOULD be content that challenges you. SWTOR is an MMORPG, so people should want to learn some of the challenging parts of it.

But no, instead people grind easy Flashpoints over and over again for Galactic Command to get gear they don't need because they don't do content that takes advantage if it, and then they complain that grinding Galactic Command takes too long. :D

Agreed, but I think there should be a tier for people who are like "I played this game to see a cool star wars story, and now part of that story is locked behind a raid, but I don't have 7 role-appropriate friends to raid with, so I guess I'll just pop into the queue and see what happens". And that person should be able to see the cool star wars story and the giant raid-only monsters without having to rocky-montage into raid-readiness, or be a drag on a group that took the time to prepare for a challenging raid.

Although, as Oedzi pointed out, every time you lower the bar there's going to be people who need it to be lower so :shrug: maybe everything's fine

All I know is raiding with you guys back when we did it was fun, but it was fun because we all went in with a similar mindset of "we're going to get drunk and probably fail a bunch of times because some people are going to get stuck behind doors repeatedly, but it's ok and we're not going to remember it forever". If I didn't have a guild to be a dumbass with I probably wouldn't have seen any of that stuff or at least I wouldn't have had a good time doing it. Although it was harder then, I guess

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

B-Mac posted:

Awesome, I will do that. Thanks for the info.

Warrior and knight make the most sense for the plot, but the other two force-using classes are close seconds IMO. They were clearly writing with force-using characters in mind; it's not going to ruin anything if you play as a non-force user class, so if your favorite class is Bounty Hunter or whatever, don't feel obliged to switch to a class you don't like just to get the optimal storytelling experience. There will just be a couple key moments where you raise an eyebrow or two

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

A lot of that stuff is there to give players stuff to do while waiting for the next story patch. There’s no reason to hold off on the story missions to do side stuff at this point that I can think of

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

The tor-fashion page allows you to preview the sounds of most weapons, but it’s a clunky experience, to be sure.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I guess you could also argue that there will be less demand, since people will have the option of spending cartel coins instead. I dunno how much that’ll offset things though, for the super rare items that people aren’t generally getting as chaff anyway

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Preechr posted:

I barely remember the ending to the Consular story. Is that the one where you murder some dude in a basement? Because that one felt pretty abrupt.

I think it was a cave, and it actually had a mechanic you needed to pay attention to, making it the hardest boss fight in the game

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Medullah posted:

Mechanic = Use your interrupt once in the fight.

Hardest fight in the game

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Hennimore wept, because there were no more achievements left to achieve

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Cythereal posted:

KOTFE also feels really jarring to play it as a non-Force class, in my opinion. I wouldn't be surprised if the Force classes do overwhelmingly dominate the player base, but I first played through it on my Imperial Agent and it was really obvious that the story just plain was written for a different kind of character.

That is really noticeable, yeah. It's like they didn't even really try to write a story that would make sense for a non-force user (which is annoying because the base game was pretty good about making you feel like a scrappy veteran who could hang with the big dogs without having to join the space wizard club).

Also that sucks Medullah, hope it's a quick recovery :(

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

dmboogie posted:

Yeah - the class missions are great; but the planetary questlines are pretty bad about shoehorning you into generic lines that sound weird coming from a non-Jedi/Sith. Sometimes you still get some pretty great class-specific lines from them, but it's inconsistent enough to be annoying.

Speaking of annoyances, I'm mad as hell that they removed the Bounty Hunter's rad "fly in the air with your rocket boots and rain death" move. Now I've just got a dorky rocket backpack. :smith:

Merc can still do it, unless they changed that too, it’s just powertech that has a new animation.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Sombrerotron posted:

I've only played a LS Warrior so far so I wouldn't know about that.

She becomes a completely different character if you’re DS at a certain point; I still keep meaning to roll another warrior and see what that’s all about but :effort:

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

plus he makes you read subtitles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I feel like nobody's really taking the "don't buy credits from RMT, ya idjit" stance that this question deserves

They are thieves who will drain your account dry if you let them and I'm pretty sure you'll be banned if the game finds out you did it (iirc Medullah is still banned from the official forums for making a joke about RMT in guild chat because a bot caught him using the wrong keywords)

e: well I guess chickenwalker did, but it deserves saying more than once