Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
So I'm trying to fix a problem my parents are having. They want to stop paying for satellite, and just pick up public stations, but they can't seem to get any of the stations they care about no mater what antenna they buy. I thought there could be a system put in place that uses one antenna hooked up to a wireless box that would repeat the signal and then have individual antennas for each television that picked up that signal, similar to how a wifi modem works. Problem is I can't find any products that clearly states that is what they do, so I don't know if this method even exists. Anyone have suggestions on either getting my method to work or a better method?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Have you tried large attic or roof mount antennas?

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...

Don Lapre posted:

Have you tried large attic or roof mount antennas?

I don't think so. They have the room to do it too. Maybe that would work. Still the issue is that not all the TV's in their house can be hardwired to that central antenna so I was hoping for a wireless solution.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
Are you sure it's possible for them to get the signal in the first place? If they're on the edge of the range it might not be doable no matter what antenna. Keep in mind when over the air tv switched over to HD I'm pretty sure the reception range dropped so if they used to get service back in the 80s and 90s they might not necessarily get service now.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Start with http://antennaweb.org/ to see what the antenna industry thinks they could get, you might be SOL without something on a mast.

https://www.silicondust.com/product/hdhomerun-prime/ These people make network TV tuners, but that doesn't get it on your TVs without additional hardware.

edit: Are you sure these are HD TVs? They did make LCD TVs for a few years before everything was HD, they would have worked fine with a satellite box but have no tuner for OTA HD signals.

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
All the TV's in their house are HD at this point. And they can pick up all the stations they care about but only when the antenna is located in a particular spot, usually a window, on the north facing side of the house. The issue is that they have to run a long coax cable that is unsightly and in the way to do so, which is why I wanted to find a wireless option to tie into that antenna. Honestly, though at this point, I might just sell them on the idea of a Roku since they can get all the public stations on there as well.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
Oh yea if they have decent internet then just forgetting about the antenna part is the way to go in this situation.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Why can't you put a big antenna on the roof/attic and then split the feed coming off the antenna?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

I don't think so. They have the room to do it too. Maybe that would work. Still the issue is that not all the TV's in their house can be hardwired to that central antenna so I was hoping for a wireless solution.

If they have satellite or cable now then you can wire an antenna into the locations.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

All the TV's in their house are HD at this point. And they can pick up all the stations they care about but only when the antenna is located in a particular spot, usually a window, on the north facing side of the house. The issue is that they have to run a long coax cable that is unsightly and in the way to do so, which is why I wanted to find a wireless option to tie into that antenna. Honestly, though at this point, I might just sell them on the idea of a Roku since they can get all the public stations on there as well.
I am pretty sure that if you can access the coax lines in your wall for cable TV, you could also tap into it and use the existing lines for an antenna signal so that you wouldn't have to run a line from the window to the TV. This could require a booster only if you like split the signal a lot of times but even then, I think boosters are still not recommended. A booster will help if the signal is degraded from being split too much, but won't help if it's a low signal due to range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Ebay for a BDA-S1and BDP-100/pi, that's a antenna booster with a power injector so you can drive it without having to run 120VAC out to the antenna. You want a booster for most antenna runs over about 20' as the cable losses begin to be a factor over normal SNR problems.

• Locked thread