Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
azren
Feb 14, 2011

Bacter posted:

I agree!

And SPEAKING OF:

This is kind of the 'surprise' update. Not that I use it a LOT (standup fights are almost always a bad idea), but it's the centerpiece of the most interesting ship, to me!

I've really enjoyed using these tricks - if anybody else has one that's either worked well or been hilarious, I'm open for it.

Aumanor posted:

I'm 10 minutes in and you. Still. Haven't. Put. Those. Bloody. Ship. Upgrades. On.

This.

Also, I noticed something in the video during the military outpost at 46:34 that looked alarmingly like a human body...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
It's ole slendy.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Nie wywoluj wilka z lasu, glupku.
Siiiiiiiiigh

Well, I guess it doesn't count as a spoiler if you're making the discovery with me, I had just kind of hoped nobody would notice.

Turns out, the real reason behind everything is

Aumanor posted:

I'm 10 minutes in and you. Still. Haven't. Put. Those. Bloody. Ship. Upgrades. On.

:sweatsweatsweat:

Bacter fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jan 28, 2018

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
You had no reason to turn shields off if they don't have the recharge function. If you plan on turning shields on so your drone doesn't take damage, there's no reason not to turn shields on and leave them on for the rest of the rest of the ship exploration.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Good to know! I'm REALLY not a shield guy most of the time (but part of that is because I wasn't aware of how good they were - that beating I took from the swarm was 100% because I was too concerned with getting it into eyesight before activating, that plus the radiation immunity is REALLY making me want to at least have one kicking around.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Is there a way to have the command ony activate shields? Because I noticed on one of the times you activated surprise it lowered you shield

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
I don't think duskers works that way.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So, are field repairs ever a thing, or do you have to wait until after you retreat from a ship to top up drone HP?

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Nope. Things that work at the beginning of a mission work til the end of the mission. The word "exit" causes things to break. Only exception is drone health. If that hits zero then shits broke, and all you can do is tow it out if you're lucky.

Oh, and "long range scanner". That can break itself (and slots?) on the starmap.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Karate Bastard posted:

Nope. Things that work at the beginning of a mission work til the end of the mission. The word "exit" causes things to break. Only exception is drone health. If that hits zero then shits broke, and all you can do is tow it out if you're lucky.

Oh, and "long range scanner". That can break itself (and slots?) on the starmap.

Basically every time a thing is used the chance to break is rolled and incremented. I think the long ranged scanner is just always in use? Presumably the average wear-rate is balanced around that.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Except first in-mission use triggers roll for breakage and causes huge wear, while subsequent reuse don't at all as much. Things you didn't use don't break, and nothing breaks from wear mid mission.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

Karate Bastard posted:

Except first in-mission use triggers roll for breakage and causes huge wear, while subsequent reuse don't at all as much. Things you didn't use don't break, and nothing breaks from wear mid mission.

I think I misspoke; I think the chance to break is only rolled and incremented after every mission things are used, not every single time. As you say (and I've never experienced evidence to the contrary) that things never break mid-mission.

This has the biggest impact on tools that aren't mandatory. I often ask "Do I really need to X? What's the risk and expected return of doing so versus not?" If you have the tools equipped and ready you can handle all kinds of situations, but frugal deployment of can bear fruit. Probes and Scan are good examples; they can often result in at least two extra scrap a mission --often more, but that chance to fail and repair cost need to be considered. I bet the math involved for optimal play is pretty straightforward, but where's the fun in that. Alien horrors eating your robot-friends and starving alone in an empty dead solar system is no time for maths. :P

That said, if you use something once in a mission; go all out. Pretty sure the number of times used is fully irrelevant, items with charges excepted.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Howdy y'all!

As always, humblest apologies for delays. It's partly work, but PARTLY because Warhammer: Total War happened, and I've been smashing greenskins as a dwarf. And after enough of that, you feel like escaping into the disconnected heroism of the drone pilot, y'know?

But it's not like our times are less exciting - this update, for instance! Quite A Lot happens in it, and, I have to say, in any other run I've ever done that's this... eventful? I'd have died six times over. This LP run is the most bloody-minded, persistent run I've ever had, and I kind of love it! We'll be down to just a few objectives after this, closing in on FINAL DUSK.

I'll be putting together a comprehensive idea of what's gone on in the universe and how our contributions might help, but for now, enjoy this...

(as is tradition, please allow ~30m after first posting for the video to finish uploadin')

SavageGentleman
Feb 28, 2010

When she finds love may it always stay true.
This I beg for the second wish I made too.

Fallen Rib
Nooooo, Assbot!

Looking forward to hear your thoughts on the end of this civilization!

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
What I don't understand is why you didn't simply flag the rooms that were going to be hit and isolate them by closing all relevant doors. With both remote and reroute that doesn't seem that hard.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Let me just head you off at the pass, and answer any further questions that begin with "why didn't you simply...."

"That is a REALLY good idea, and management is looking to incorporate it in the near future."

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Perhaps not exactly on topic, but is there no thread for your I Fell From Grace lp?

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

No, not yet. I'm not really sure what kind of an update schedule me and 'ol Niggurath are going to have, so at least until we can get a bit of a flow down it's just floating in th' ether on my channel. Hopefully eventually a weekly thing? I've pushed a bit ahead, and... there's some stuff to see in this game. I'll say that.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Bacter posted:

Howdy y'all!

As always, humblest apologies for delays. It's partly work, but PARTLY because Warhammer: Total War happened, and I've been smashing greenskins as a dwarf. And after enough of that, you feel like escaping into the disconnected heroism of the drone pilot, y'know?

But it's not like our times are less exciting - this update, for instance! Quite A Lot happens in it, and, I have to say, in any other run I've ever done that's this... eventful? I'd have died six times over. This LP run is the most bloody-minded, persistent run I've ever had, and I kind of love it! We'll be down to just a few objectives after this, closing in on FINAL DUSK.

I'll be putting together a comprehensive idea of what's gone on in the universe and how our contributions might help, but for now, enjoy this...

(as is tradition, please allow ~30m after first posting for the video to finish uploadin')

So where's that final pandemic log?

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

As promised, there's a whole hock of new logs for this session, and in fact, I'd go so far as to say some Very Interesting Bits in each group!

First, we have a couple of Final Entries:

Pandemic

Log 8

Grey Goo

Log 7

And a whole bunch of extra ones for the other lines (just because you complete a 'quest line' doesn't mean you get all the logs for that ship type - there are still 'unfiled' entries you get at random)

Singularity

Log 8
Log 9
Log10

Super Predator

Log 4
Log 5

Hey You

Log 4

Unfiled

Log 7
Log 8
Log 9
Log 10

Note on the pandemic record: There's a duplicate of this log in the 'unfiled' category as well, and you can get it randomly while exploring medical ships - I don't even think you have to have trapped a quarantined monster. I've also pulled down the text of all the logs in the game, and I'm reasonably sure there's no alternate path where you find him in time. My GUESS is that he passed on long before we woke up. Duskers!

Bacter fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Feb 26, 2018

Gideon020
Apr 23, 2011
Hm, I think I might have an idea as to what might have happened now.

Also, you should do Cryptark as your next game Bacter. :D

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
I think the same file was linked for the grey goo and the last super predator log.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Gideon020 posted:

Hm, I think I might have an idea as to what might have happened now.

Also, you should do Cryptark as your next game Bacter. :D

I DO really like cryptark! But I dunno... two space-ship pilot scavenging games in a ROW? I might have to do I Fell From Grace, because I'm by no means willing to call it a good game, but where it's bad it's funny and where it's good it's decent!

It fails entertainingly, is what I'm saying.

Also, one of my favorite things is how there are scant clues, but not NO clues. I was worried the ending would be just "THE FUTURE IS UNKNOWABLE", but it's not!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Bacter posted:

I DO really like cryptark! But I dunno... two space-ship pilot scavenging games in a ROW?

If you're after a change of pace, try these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6hk2xx8DLI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaZSeIf7M-g

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
There's also subnautica, but it's less crypdark and a bit more like minecraft but under the sea.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Farewell, assbot. May you make an interesting crater on some moon somewhere.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

SugarAddict posted:

There's also subnautica, but it's less crypdark and a bit more like minecraft but under the sea.

I finally beat Subnautica, and do quite enjoy it, aside from a few endgame bits being a smidge easy to miss

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

I'm also a big fan of Underrail, but I'm terrified of how giant a game it is.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Looks like the devs have been working on improving it. Might reinstall and see.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Howdy volken - I'm picking back up work on the final bit of DUSKERS!

I know I've long maintained that I kind of pick up and drop series as time allows, but this was a particularly big gap, so I'll offer my explanation as thus:

1) My place of employment had a relatively sizable turnover. While I wasn't actually fired in the initial salvo, everybody else on my sub-team was, and there's been a general drain ever since. I'm still employed, but obviously not feeling safe/stable there, so I've been looking for a next step, and

2) My mom found out she's got not only cancer, but a particularly crappy kind where the prognosis is very bad for even short-term hanging-on. They're still finding out treatment options, so send your non-specific thoughts and prayers her way, even if you don't believe in that kind of thing. Can't hurt!

I know different people respond differently to stress, but for me it becomes hard to do more than the baseline requirements - I can take in entertainment (and man, did I play a lot of Underrail and Pillars of Eternity, as well as some super-heavily modded minecraft with mzblunderfund, which, you really haven't lived until you're constructing giant glowing magic towers to siphon power from the sky while your friend creates an insanity-brand mechanized factory), but it's hard to spend the time creating stuff.

It's hard to spend that time, I say, but it's good for me to, and I think I'm in a place now where I'm wanting to do some more creating. We don't have far to go in Duskers, and I've got some ideas for a next step from here. Stay tuned, all'm saying. I missed y'all.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Ugh, wow that super sucks. :| Hang in there.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Hang in there, hope your mom gets better, and I hope your job situation improves.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

Goodness Bacter, that's a tough spot of fate there. I sincerely hope things improve; you're always an enjoyable fellow.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Dang that's rough. Take care of you and yours and pick this up when when it's fun for you again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
I'm so sorry for you and your mom! Take care and I hope things look up for you and your family soon.

• Locked thread