Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
SHODAN, of course.

Is there any official art of the organic foes? It's hard to get a sense of what they look like from the drones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
Do you get more scrap from selling excess drones and/or modules at trading posts rather than scrapping them?

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Nie wywoluj wilka z lasu, glupku.

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

SHODAN, of course.

Is there any official art of the organic foes? It's hard to get a sense of what they look like from the drones.

Unfortunately, I might want to switch some drones around.

While I really LIKE the red sensors, i.e. I think they look cool, it's harder to get a good image of some of the enemies. A white or green sensor is a little more clear I think.

This might be a bit clearer?

Aumanor posted:

Do you get more scrap from selling excess drones and/or modules at trading posts rather than scrapping them?

I think just modules, and then just if they're busted. You get full scrap value for selling a broken module at an autotrader (so I should maybe save them!).

Autotraders are also unique in that you can re-visit them later. If you've got extra fuel left at the end of a system, you can re-visit them and sell off all your P-fuel for scrap.

ALSO we've probably got 1-2 more updates of getting the dream team assembled (I've got one or two more upgrades I'd really like to get for the combat drone), and then we'll have to start, you know, DOING things. Solving mysteries.

As a bit of a spoiler, most of the "first mission"s are "investigate more ships of type x". We already got the first muteki quest, I'll try to vary the ship types we visit so we get more.

ALSO: expect more editing in the future - until they start throwing worse ships and enemy types at us, you have a really good idea of how a ship goes. And don't worry, the difficulty ramps up QUICKLY.

Bacter fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Nov 5, 2017

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Wait, so our second stop is literally The Solar System, which seems abandoned? That...doesn't bode well.

Holly I think works as a drone name.

I nominate:
Joe
Cameron
Bob

As drone names.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

This game reminds me vaguely of Faster Than Light. How would you say they compare? Is this one easier/harder? Which one has the most replay value?

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

They are a bit similar!

Each has their own frustrations, I'd say. The problem with FTL is that, in my experience, the RNG is more unforgiving there. It's relatively rare (I think, I mean I'm not particularly GOOD at FTL), that you'll actually get a map that LETS you win, even if you play very well. And you're putting an hour or more into a game, only to have it crash at the end because there were only negative encounters in the last three galaxies or whatever.

In Duskers, you'll get a variety of modules, ships, and etc., but you'll always have the resources you need to thrive, and, barring some very ugly late-game ships, with proper preparation almost any wreck is navigable.

That said, as you complete tasks, they become more and more specific, and you're not always, for instance, guaranteed to get a quarantine bypass. So if you're really pursuing getting something from a specific type of ship you need a quarantine bypass and a particular module on a drone for, you might have to do a few resets before you can even get it. Whereas in FTL, your goal is always the same (unless you're trying to unlock a particular ship or something).

So, it depends which is more frustrating - would you rather have a wide variety of goals which gets whittled down, until you're left with a few that you need repeat RNG until you can attempt? Or would you rather have one goal and then be maybe denied the ability to perform it? Neither are GREAT.

Oh incidentally, once we get further in the story, I'll be asking for thread theories on what the heck happened, so be paying attention to the logs and the enemies and environments and etc. I'll want to do a little homespun addition to the regular ending to the game, based on said theories!

One clear advantage I'd give Duskers is, I don't think I've ever had drones die or fail a ship and not have it at least plausibly be my fault. That's one nice thing. Like how the first room never has an enemy in it. Otherwise, it could just be

>begin
>lost contact with drone 1
>lost contact with drone 2
>lost contact with drone 3

Oh.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017
Is the an upper input limit to naming conventions?

If it works:

Spacebeast
Beam Monster
Speed Demon

Consider it a good luck charm to ward off further horrors.

And another batch of historical references :ussr:

Laika, Belka Strelka
Soyuz, Salyut, Mir

OutofSight fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Nov 6, 2017

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, since you kind of rely on a "home base" on the ship, the first room will never have enmies, will (i think) always have all doors closed, and always have a generator in it.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

HenryEx posted:

Yeah, since you kind of rely on a "home base" on the ship, the first room will never have enmies, will (i think) always have all doors closed, and always have a generator in it.

It sometimes has one door open, but that room is also safe from my experiences.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Drone names:

Robbie (heavy-duty menial labor)

Rock/Blues (Combat)

Bob Johnson (whatever)

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
The sheer number of things that can suddenly go very very wrong as it describes the perception of horrors of space horrors from a first person point of view is what I like about this game.

Edit: I'm a bit surprised that the first room is always free of enemies and problems. Especially considering the things that can go wrong later on.

SugarAddict fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Nov 5, 2017

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

I actually think there is always one door open from the first room, so you get two "free" rooms.

Not to say that nothing can go wrong. One of the reasons remote power is such an incredible upgrade for the ship is that if the first room is unsafe, you can just park your non-combat/exploration drones in the away ship and have them be safe there.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

Bacter posted:

Incidentally, I'm ALSO very interested in other drone names - I'll collect them all and put them into a random number generator. Which MAY end up getting slightly less random if I really like one!

Jonny 5
V.I.N.CENT
WALL-E
Alpha 5
Baymax
ASIMO

This does look like an interesting game, but I think I'd soon lose track of all the different commands. It's the sort of game that I'd have loved many years ago, back in the day when games had awkward interfaces by accident rather than as a deliberate design choice.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

SugarAddict posted:

Edit: I'm a bit surprised that the first room is always free of enemies and problems. Especially considering the things that can go wrong later on.
I think it's just one of those game design things where the alternative is more "realistic" but also really loving frustrating. Imagine wasting all of your fuel on a series of ships where you couldn't even leave the docking bay because the RNG decided that all the first rooms had an enemy in it. Same with there always being a generator in the first room--if there wasn't then you could easily waste a bunch of fuel on ships where you can't do anything because the RNG says so.

Not to say that you can't easily get RNG-hosed in this game, but I feel like when it does happen it always feels reasonably fair, and it's almost never in such a way that you're completely screwed. That's always important for making games like this enjoyable.

Thanks for making this LP Bacter, you finally got me to bite the bullet and buy this game last week.

Bliss Authority
Jul 6, 2011

I'm not saying it was witches

but it was witches

Drone names:

Hewey, Louie and Dewey, and name your ship the Silent Running.

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

Bliss Authority posted:

Drone names:

Hewey, Louie and Dewey, and name your ship the Silent Running.

Seconded, especially as it's looking like your drones will be the only friendly (inter)faces on this journey.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Drone names: Mariner, Viking, Sojourner, Curiosity, Spirit, Opportunity.

A Perfect Twist
Aug 15, 2007

"What have I done? I'll have to start again. To forget and to disappear. I'll head north, far-north, to that big question mark, the Northern Territory"
More drone names!

Lister
Rimmer BSC SSC
Kryten
Cat
Holly
Camille
Tension Sheet
Polymorph
Silicon Heaven
Vindaloo Monster

Bliss Authority
Jul 6, 2011

I'm not saying it was witches

but it was witches

Fwoderwick posted:

Seconded, especially as it's looking like your drones will be the only friendly (inter)faces on this journey.

Add additional DuckTales references as needed.

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

4th drone: Gizmoduck

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Is the yellow exclamation point module in your new ship an example of a module that's failed? I imagine we're going to get an explanation of how that works, exactly.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I'm not actually sure what the exclamation point stands for right now, but if the name's colored yellow, it means the upgrade has deteriorated to a point where the chance of breaking gets high (~15-20% i think), and there's also an orange color for even higher chances of failure. Once an update breaks (red color), it cannot be repaired anymore and can only be recycled for +1 scrap.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

As far as I can tell, (!) is redundant information with the color yellow, and orange will have a (!!!) with it.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
HAL. T-800. Pimblokto.

I'm looking forward to the next update! I may have to buy a copy for myself.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Mzbundifund, Leg-Day, Arm-Day, Wheel-Day, God-Damit.

I want to see how fast things go from fine to get-to-da-choppa in upcoming videos.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
The fun thing about this game is that it can go from "it's fine" to "oh my God, everyone is dead" in seconds, which makes it incredible tense.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Fat Samurai posted:

Possibly a spoiler

Yes, but we want to see that happen and learn that firsthand.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

SugarAddict posted:

Yes, but we want to see that happen and learn that firsthand.

Uh, you did see the first episode, right? When poo poo goes down, it goes down fast.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
And for a Duskers failure, that first episode is practically glacial.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Blinky
Pinky
Inky
Clyde

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

CirclMastr posted:

Blinky
Pinky
Inky
Clyde

Huey
Louie
Dewey

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011
From the OP I assume Bacter wants to keep most things secret about the plot, but... I really want to know one thing: Is there at least one ending in the game? For this question, dying horribly due to our own incompetence does not count as an ending.

Rawkking fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Nov 7, 2017

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.
Those names are a real let down

How about:
Farto
Poopy
Butte
Assbot
Farte

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.
Oh and Catte

oh and the sacred goon name: DONGS

Bozart fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Nov 8, 2017

Ben Kasack
Dec 27, 2010
This looks like a really cool game so I will be watching it all the way.

As you said you'll take macro suggestions, you might want to make bang=defenses so you can turn turrets on and off quicker just in case the need arises.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

A Perfect Twist posted:

More drone names!

Lister
Rimmer BSC SSC
Kryten
Cat
Holly
Camille
Tension Sheet
Polymorph
Silicon Heaven
Vindaloo Monster

QUEEG!

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Queeg, Holly, Holly, Rimmer BSC SSC, Kryten, and Ace Rimmer.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Emotion Squid(?) and the entire extended Dibbly family.

Also, whatever the opposite-gender versions of the crew were in the episode where Lister got pregnant.

And the replicated crew of the Red Dwarf during the later seasons.

Vodkahead
Jun 4, 2007

LashLightning posted:

Emotion Squid(?)

Despair Squid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

LashLightning posted:

Emotion Squid(?) and the entire extended Dibbly family.

Also, whatever the opposite-gender versions of the crew were in the episode where Lister got pregnant.

And the replicated crew of the Red Dwarf during the later seasons.

There DOES need to be some Red Dwarf. We're doing a random naming thing, but, uh, there may be some RD.

Also, a gentle reminder that discussing the end of the game does, in fact, introduce spoilers.

The ending of the game is somewhat of a weak point, there is one, and we'll be both experiencing it AND improving upon it.

• Locked thread