Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
namad
Nov 7, 2013
What exactly made you jump to Sol? Instead of say Gieraltar? I just picked up the game myself and I don't really understand which types of systems/ships are "better" for me as the drone operator to progress. For example Quarrel/Pyria looked pretty good to me comparatively. They had a trading post, ships with as much as 100 scrap capacity, were only 1 jump fuel away? Of course I have no idea what a stargate is, or what a muteki ship is, or what a military ship is, compared to say a barge. I guess you'll address these matters a little bit more each time we jump to a new system? I definitely feel like I need more pointers on what makes a good system to decide to jump to though.

EDIT: It should be noted that type a muteki ships seem to always kill 1or2 of my drones. Does age only effect radiation and malfunction? or do older derelicts also have stronger infestation types? is everything that scans with a red box an infestation? or are some things just malfunctions (trying not to spoil anything but some of them seem too dumb to be alive)?

namad fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Nov 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Nie wywoluj wilka z lasu, glupku.
"Man", I honestly thought to myself:

"I hope that all my time playing this game hasn't made me too careful, careful enough that a let's play of this won't be interesting, because nothing serious will go wrong."

Ha.

Ha ha ha.

Anyway, enjoy this update!

(~30m uploading/processing from now!)

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Incidentally:

Our ship is the

Silent Running (New ship names are acceptable too, we'll run into a better ship that I'll want to commandeer before the LP is over)

Our dream team o' Drones are:

Rock

Curiosity

Silicon Heaven

and

Pinky

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

namad posted:

What exactly made you jump to Sol? Instead of say Gieraltar? I just picked up the game myself and I don't really understand which types of systems/ships are "better" for me as the drone operator to progress. For example Quarrel/Pyria looked pretty good to me comparatively. They had a trading post, ships with as much as 100 scrap capacity, were only 1 jump fuel away? Of course I have no idea what a stargate is, or what a muteki ship is, or what a military ship is, compared to say a barge. I guess you'll address these matters a little bit more each time we jump to a new system? I definitely feel like I need more pointers on what makes a good system to decide to jump to though.

EDIT: It should be noted that type a muteki ships seem to always kill 1or2 of my drones. Does age only effect radiation and malfunction? or do older derelicts also have stronger infestation types? is everything that scans with a red box an infestation? or are some things just malfunctions (trying not to spoil anything but some of them seem too dumb to be alive)?

In GENERAL, I try to go for systems with 1) lots of ships, 2) big ships (class A or B), and a good trading post.

The ship types differ in layout and what they're likely to contain, though I know all ship types can eventually have all infestations. Mutekis usually kill me too, though, because their layout has fewer safe points, and fewer defenses (military ships are much more likely to have turrets, which are SO GREAT).

Edit: Gonna update the current ship, current drones, and list of transmissions on the second post!

Edit edit: Done. Update 2 has the info

Bacter fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Nov 12, 2017

namad
Nov 7, 2013
On muteki ships I find myself re-docking over and over because there are too many infestations to progress very far, but then in the end I'm left thinking to myself I can't leave with nothing. I've already blown out or lost half the airlocks. Time to take a risk. Or oh, this ship has nothing but infestation type !#$%! and !#%! and so I'm totally sure this next room won't have an organic leaper. Then whoops. It does. Or whoops, another new infestation type I've never seen before that's EVEN MORE AGGRESSIVE AND SCARY!

Interface also seems a lot rarer and more powerful than I first gave it credit for. Turret seems more common yet less useful to me so far than interface. Turret is useless or nearly useless against several types of infestation, but interface is almost always useful. That tip about interface being especially powerful in military ships was a really smart tip, I'm going to apply that to my next reset, and I'm going to survive for more than 10-20 days. I swear I will.

EDIT: docking at a4 has been game over for me many times already. heh.

namad fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Nov 12, 2017

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
Curiously why did you get the transport upgrade that the shop was selling or is it safer to have a large reserve of scrap?

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

cokerpilot posted:

Curiously why did you get the transport upgrade that the shop was selling or is it safer to have a large reserve of scrap?

I think it lets him teleport drones around ships so if a drone gets stuck in a room or is about to die he can just teleport it out. It's also the only way to get onto outposts. Also I think it might be able to teleport objects around instead of having to tow them.

SugarAddict fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Nov 12, 2017

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Yeah, there's a ship upgrade and a drone upgrade. The drone upgrade lets you teleport around a level, which is nice for obvious reasons, the ship upgrade lets you do mission on "outposts", which have no docking bays and must be transported into and out of. They ALSO tend to be VERY full of gross infestations and prone to meteor collisions. High-level missions for sure. Or at least, late-game they are. They probably set out a nice mug of cocoa for you this early on.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Removed.

SugarAddict fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Nov 14, 2017

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
If an asteroid hits a ship, does it create a new dock point, or have you just got some new paths to vent to space?

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Glazius posted:

If an asteroid hits a ship, does it create a new dock point, or have you just got some new paths to vent to space?

All it does is vent the room to space and fill it with radiation, I don't think it kills anything in it.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I am pretty sure that any “surplus” fuel you have over the 6 you get per system can be carried over to other systems. so you can build it up in earlier systems and use it later on if you want.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I am pretty sure that any “surplus” fuel you have over the 6 you get per system can be carried over to other systems. so you can build it up in earlier systems and use it later on if you want.

Any fuel you pickup is added to your reserve tank. Only system to system jumps replenish the temporary fuel.

namad
Nov 7, 2013

SugarAddict posted:

All it does is vent the room to space and fill it with radiation, I don't think it kills anything in it.

No new docks are created. You can still use the a4 dock if r4 next to it is destroyed by an asteroid. Going through the room will lower your hp because the room is basically just fully exposed to the vacuum of space. The rooms get labeled with red slashed lines.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

namad posted:

No new docks are created. You can still use the a4 dock if r4 next to it is destroyed by an asteroid. Going through the room will lower your hp because the room is basically just fully exposed to the vacuum of space. The rooms get labeled with red slashed lines.

Rooms exposed to the vaccume of space are filled with yellow lines, red lines are radiation. Radiation is survival able by drones, vacuum is not.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Glazius posted:

Funny you should ask...

Give it a minute or two... uploadin'

SO I'm trying something a bit new - I'd threatened before to cut out some ships/time where only stuff that we'd seen before is happening. That promise was made real this time! One and a half ships had not really much to show off but what we've seen before, and whatever keen insights I'd managed to babble on about during them. In the main version of the video, they're cut off.

I'll make them both available - there's about a 15-minute difference this time.

ALSO

Our new drone is named.... Tension Sheet! Round of drinks, all around.

ALSO ALSO

New logs:

Pandemic:
Log 3

Singularity:
Log 2

ALSO ALSO ALSO

We're at a POSSIBLE branch point! Would you like to:

1) Continue to faff about, hooving up all the scrap, modules, and upgrades the galaxy has to offer, and basically just taking in the big wide wonderful universe?

2) Pursue the PANDEMIC lead, and start going after capturing an organism on a quarantined vessel?

3) Pursue the SINGULARITY lead, and start looking for the galaxies that have the ships named in log 2?

4) Go after OTHER kinds of ships - please specify MILITARY, SPACE STATIONS/FUEL DEPOTS, RESEARCH/OBSERVATION

Bacter fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Nov 18, 2017

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Pandemic is relatively easy to accomplish, if i remember right. Go for that. Maybe we'll even manage it during this, uh... cycle.

edit: the long video is "not available" for me, for some reason.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Yeah - basic one is uploaded, full version is uploading as we speak!

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Our drones are obviously coming from the singularity

Also, I think those two logs are the same?

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Apparently you need to close airlocks more often. Oops. hindsight and all that.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Slaan posted:

Also, I think those two logs are the same?
Fix'd

Ashsaber posted:

Apparently you need to close airlocks more often. Oops. hindsight and all that.

Actually, and, this might have been somewhat confusing because the timing was so boggling that I want to make sure I mention it, airlocks close automatically when you dock and re-dock. What HAPPENED was that I got all my drones into the away ship and re-docked that ship RIGHT EXACTLY as a meteor struck the room they were in. Had I moved them even a few seconds later, they all would have been obliterated. Run OVER.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

You did actually get a one-minute warning about the asteroid, it just got lost in the noise when the organic enemy attacked you.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
So... one question Bacter. Why didn't you just immediately relocate your drones and ship as soon as you got that first warning? From what I've seen there was absolutely no reason for you to not just lock r2 off completely and move around it.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Aumanor posted:

So... one question Bacter. Why didn't you just immediately relocate your drones and ship as soon as you got that first warning? From what I've seen there was absolutely no reason for you to not just lock r2 off completely and move around it.

So, if I was playing a super boring just-for-me game, and there was an almost-totally unexplored ship, and I forgot my remote power ship upgrade, and I got a two minute meteor warning RIGHT on the exit point?

I'd have just said stuff this and packed my bags.

The problem with the total relocation, in my experience, is that I'm more likely to, in my haste, forget some point of entry, or not secure the rooms correctly, or something, and get ambushed before I've got another point of egress locked down, and THAT is how you get a run-wiper.

Incidentally, the later and more awful enemies are taking for friggin' EVER to show up. I hope it isn't that you have to die at least once before they show up - I kind of bet not, but maybe we need to advance further in quests before we see them? A lot of my paranoia has to do with those guys, so maybe this will seem more justified as the LP goes on.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Man, i hate one of the later enemies. It's basically a check on "Did you take longer than two minutes to scour and pick this ship clean? Yes? Well, now half of it is a danger zone and your drones might be cut off from your ship."

8_Escape
Dec 26, 2013
Note: If this is considered a spoiler or otherwise problematic please say so and this will be removed.
Looking it up it seems traps are remote detonated (via the Trap [boom] command) and can be retrieved with the Trap [pickup] coimmand.

---
Also I vote for looking into the singularity angle.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I'd go for the singularity, too.

Overconfidence is a slow but insidious killer.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

8_Escape posted:

Note: If this is considered a spoiler or otherwise problematic please say so and this will be removed.
Looking it up it seems traps are remote detonated (via the Trap [boom] command) and can be retrieved with the Trap [pickup] coimmand.

---
Also I vote for looking into the singularity angle.

It was shown in the video, don't worry.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Incidentally, I wouldn't consider any talk about mechanics to be spoilers! In fact, maybe I should clarify:

Basically, any talk about modules, be they for drones or ships is pretty much fine. I don't think there are any big spoilers, and for SURE if I've gotten one, please tell me if I'm using them incorrectly etc.

In GENERAL, some of the fun is exploration and discovery, so if we haven't seen certain ship types/monster types, hold off on discussing them until we see them. It's fine as long as it's kept vague, just no posts like "LET ME TELL YOU EVERY MONSTER TYPE THAT WE HAVEN'T SEEN".

EG: HenryEx's post a few up from this is fine by me. I know what he means, but it doesn't ruin the surprise.

Plot is pretty firm - theories are all fine, no talkin' about stuff we haven't found yet.

But by all means, please point out when I'm not using a module correctly, or give me tactical tips, or anything like that!

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Hey Bacter thanks for the LP!

I don't know if anyone said but this is $20 on GoG and well worth the money. I had to see for myself if it's as much fun to play as it is to look at, and yes, yes it is, so thanks! This is right up my alley.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Bacter posted:

ALSO

Our new drone is named.... Tension Sheet! Round of drinks, all around.

That's a lovely choice for a space drone :haw:

Bacter posted:

ALSO ALSO

Did I mention I'm presently on a Red Dwarf binge? I'm up to season 7 now. Fantastic stuff. If you are in this thread then you should also be on a Red Dwarf binge. Fantastic stuff, absolutely marvellous.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Karate Bastard posted:

That's a lovely choice for a space drone :haw:

Did I mention I'm presently on a Red Dwarf binge? I'm up to season 7 now. Fantastic stuff. If you are in this thread then you should also be on a Red Dwarf binge. Fantastic stuff, absolutely marvellous.

Yeah they just finished making Season 12. I seriously can't believe that show's still going. It's good, if you like British comedy.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
I don't know if you need any more names but if we go chasing singularities then we could do to have Aineko, Macx, or the Vile Offspring around. Possibly also Starwisp and Matrioshka Brain.

e: Oh! Oh! Oh! and I shall absolutely require a Vasquez drone if we ever get one that can shoot things. She is the smartgun hardass from Alien 2, and my absolute favorite hardass in all of fiction ever.

Karate Bastard fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Nov 21, 2017

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Under NO CIRCUMSTANCES should Maximilian be a drone name. Ever.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Why nooooot? :black101:

Vincent and Bob might be good names.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
Is it too late to say you should name your generator drone Sparky?

azren
Feb 14, 2011

I vote for Pandemic, because biohazard stuff is freaky.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
I bought this game, I blame you Bacter!

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Ahh I'm glad to hear that!

Well, good news and bad news folks - I lost about 45m of recording, BUT, nothing really exciting happened. I was actually debating making it a bonus video, since every ship was just a slow plod through opening rooms, and there were no new enemies. I've been going to Muteki ships, and the only real excitement was getting the transporter module for our main ship. That means we can transport ourselves down to bases. Gonna try a record again tonight, with a few settings changed, and we'll see if we can't get something a little more plotty! Or some of the dang new enemies. I'd take either. Either way, happy thanksgiving!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
I just lost a game because I had pry but I didn't requip it and all my drones got caught in a room with no power and the last remaining powerinlet was in an inaccessable room that I needed pry to access. :negative:
This game is pretty crazy with how often the RNG decides to kill all your stuff.

SugarAddict fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Nov 25, 2017

• Locked thread