Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Colander Crotch
Nov 24, 2005

I- I don't even know what you just called me!
You mentioned that you thought blowing up bad drones would give you half the scrap, but I think I saw a couple of times you picking up 2-3 scrap from one spot after killing one. It looks like the scrap was just stacked together, rather than spread out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Colander Crotch posted:

You mentioned that you thought blowing up bad drones would give you half the scrap, but I think I saw a couple of times you picking up 2-3 scrap from one spot after killing one. It looks like the scrap was just stacked together, rather than spread out.

The number varies from 1-3, but yeah, it can all be stacked together (you'll tell how much you got from the log) and sometimes it'll be scattered a bit.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Nie wywoluj wilka z lasu, glupku.
So, last time, we got just about as good a start as we could possibly ask for with the Singularity. Well, not quite. I'd have liked a few more weapons.

NEVERTHELESS, this challenge has got some real meat on it.

We've got to:

1) Make it to the specific Orchid-having ship without getting exploded
2) Explore every room on that ship, kill every infestation, and have no un-contained radiation
3) Without powering on anything in the ship at all.

It's really that third one that's a doozy. Most ships this late in the game are going to be volatile. We can use pry to open doors, but we can't shut doors without the power being on. That means if there's a radiation leak, we just have to pack it in and leave. Also, the kind of infestations matter a lot. If you get leapers and enemy drones, well, that's very workable. You can turret them, you can mine or trap them, you can... I think that's it. Point is, there are a finite number of them and they're not too nasty.

Swarms and slime spawn though, and while each of them have upper limits on the number of times they'll spawn, each still present a unique challenge.

Swarms are more deadly the more of the ship you explore. Since you can't close doors, they get to freely roam, and the more rooms with vents in them that you open, the more places where a potential swarm can come from. They're also very fast and aggressive, so there's no running from one once it finds you. With leapers and drones, if you can survive the initial salvo, you might make it back to your landing craft, close the door, and wait for the monster to go away. No such luck here. With speed boost and stealth you CAN actually survive a swarm latch onto you, but it's still tricky. Any other configuration and that drone is just dead, unless another one is right nearby with a turret.

Slime becomes more dangerous the longer you take. In small quantities, it's easily dealt with - a trap or a turret can take out small clusters of slime. But let it grow (or let a new one spring up un-detected), and it can become too big to handle - if it's filled one room, and is starting to invade other rooms, you're PROBABLY toast.

So basically, in addition to being crazy prepared, you've gotta have that crucial element of luck - luck to not draw infestation types that are too nasty, luck to not have the old ships tear themselves apart, or get hit by a meteor, which is obviously also an attempt-ending scenario.

I basically made a bum rush for the nearest Orchid ship in this one. I've got a two-parter interlude of my journey in getting there. I go from thinking that re-route power is the poor man's remote power to starting to think it's my favorite module of all time. This happens basically any time in this game that I give a module a second chance: I find that I just wasn't using it correctly before, and VERY underestimated it.

I think it's an entertaining journey, full of ships that had character, which is why I included it as an interlude, and didn't just edit it all out. Still, it doesn't advance the plot, so watch it if you like Duskin' (and honestly, if you don't like Duskin', what are you doing here?)

The end of the second part of the interlude contains my actual attempt on the ship with the program on it, but I'm ALSO including that ship as a separate video listed below, if you just want to watch that. Either way, I've also got the Grey Goo scenario audio uploaded:

Enjoy!

ALSO: If I succeeded and actually commandeered the ship, we'll of course need a new goal. If I failed, we'll be very far away from the next nearest ship, so I'll still need a next step: keep doing what we're doing, or go after something else? We're in a really, really good position by the end of the video to get most challenges done, so I'm taking suggestions!

Note, part 2 actually needs ~45 more minutes to upload. Your patience is appreciated and mandatory!

Also:

Updates to ships/drones

Bacter fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Dec 22, 2017

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
There is another way to deal with slime and swarms without powering on stuff. It's an edge case, but..
1) Teleport-explore
2) If their spawn room has a docking bay, you can dock, open the door, drop a scanner in the door to jam it, then redock elsewhere.
3) Room is vented to space

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Can you re-dock and grab the scanner again if you do that? Otherwise, the ship would just flood with radiation, right?

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Bacter posted:

Can you re-dock and grab the scanner again if you do that? Otherwise, the ship would just flood with radiation, right?

Actually, wait, you need to scan the room first, which means you need to open the doors....so yeah, nm. Won't work.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Actually, let's noodle this one out a little bit more, because I think there's some real potential:

Commandeer requires that there be "no uncontained radiation" and no airlocks open to space.

Airlocks, fine. I get it.

I'm less clear on what "uncontained" radiation is. My GUESS is that it means that, while a single room can be irradiated, it must not be connected by an open door to another irradiated room.

So: best case for this scenario, we have one drone with stealth, pry, and sensor (w/maglock), and we have a ship with ship surveyor and decontaminate on it.

Maglock is an upgrade for the sensor that keeps it from being vented into space when exposed to the outside.

We dock, and instantly know where all the airlocks are. Shuttle all the drones except your stealth one into the first safe room. If there's a vent there, weep. If not, load your stealth drone into the away vessel and dock at an airlock. Stealth up and open the door. Check around inside. If there's a monster in there, drop a sensor on the doorway, then redock at your original location. The room is vented into space, killing the monster. Re-dock there to close off the airlock.

Now, when a room is exposed to space, it does through three steps. First it's filled with vacuum. This can cause random failures in machinery in the room. Terminals, doors, defenses, all can break. Second, it fills with temporary radiation. This is marked by the message "room x is filling with radiation". If the source of the radiation is removed, this will go away on it's own.

The third step is when the room is 100% irradiated, marked by the message "room x has completely filled with radiation". This won't go away on it's own. It CAN be cleansed, a maximum of three times with the "decontaminate" ship module.

So: once you've cleared out the entryway for another of the docks, then cloak and start prying open doors. Some experimentation should teach us how many we can pry open so that the vacuum reaches each room, but none of them fill with radiation. Do that, then get your drone back in the away craft and re-dock. That whole section of the ship will now be shunted out into space. If you're quick enough, you can re-dock at that airlock just in time to keep any room from filling with radiation, but if you're off, you can clean it with decontaminate.

Repeat this process once per airlock, and you will have huge sections of the ship you can clean just with the vacuum!

Unless, of course, the airlock fails because of exposure to the outside. I don't know if that happens, and if it does, you'd have to abandon this procedure.

Bacter fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Dec 23, 2017

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Hey fine work with that Hermes run! And neat trick with the mine on the vent! Didn't think of that one. That's obviously their intended use. :cripes: maybe you can even safely run a generator drone in a room with a vent if you mine the vent and shield the drone?

Dude you scrapped a scan! Don't scrap the scan! You'd easily have found more than 3 scrap in all those unscanned rooms you left behind. In fact you'd have broken even after only 2 found, as you'd still get 1 scrap for it after it's ceased functioning. The "eat=scan;gather all" alias is killer, as not only does this find and get all the hidden scrap for you, it also finds any vents and other things without you having to go snoop around for them.

Also when you commandeer you get all the goodies you didn't actively gather or tow to safety (see the numbers for auto-harvested stuff at the mission summary after the commandeer).

Also you never wanna scrap upgrades unless you need to for buying something, or you're close to maxing out the lists in the drone/ship config views so you can't pick up any more. Selling them early just means you risk hitting your scrap capacity.

Only swarms attack doors unless I'm completely mistaken, and swarms can start in rooms regardless of whether they have vents or not.

You can do "reroute r2 -rX +rY" to move power from room X to room Y without messing with the rest of the powered rooms, which at least for me is faster and takes less thinking.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
This might work: Get ship surveyor and that teleport upgrade that lets you shift droppables. Drop a trap and a sensor and shift them next door. If green pry/shift on after, if red boom em out, rinse and repeat. I think sensor picks up slime too, no?

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Karate Bastard posted:

Dude you scrapped a scan! Don't scrap the scan! You'd easily have found more than 3 scrap in all those unscanned rooms you left behind. In fact you'd have broken even after only 2 found, as you'd still get 1 scrap for it after it's ceased functioning.

The "eat=scan;gather all" alias is killer, as not only does this find and get all the hidden scrap for you, it also finds any vents and other things without you having to go snoop around for them.

1) Yeah - honestly, I did that because I was just hyper-focused on the singularity objective. I don't reset galaxy difficulty, so I don't really plan on getting more than one objective done per run. Yes I'm exceptionally pleased with how this turned out!

Also: 2) eat is getting implemented basically instantly. That's a heck of an alias!

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Press X to jump, then press X again!
Toilet Rascal
I've only had a chance to watch the first part tonight, but I can say that there's already a zero-effort way to reduce the 'reroute' complexity: just type 'rer' instead and let the auto-fill do it for you! I always find it a little weird that you struggle with that, considering - it's also the reason I'm personally fine with 'navigate' most of the time, since there's nothing else beginning with 'na' (and 'navigate' won't freak out since half the time I'm saying "go catch up with drone 1"). Similarly, when closing the door you just opened, you don't have to try to get the right numbers entered when you could just hit Ctrl-Up to scroll through your last commands - faster than entering it, as well as more reliable. Let the game help!

Looking forward to seeing how your expertise and/or hubris play out in the rest of the run... tomorrow.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

I'm actually really happy to see that people like the longer videos - I know it's a bit of a slog, but to me the interesting bit is picking your way through the ships, getting more powers while dealing with setbacks, and seeing all the things that can go wrong.

One reason I like to do LPs is that I discover more about a game. In my main playthrough, I actually had a favorite module set, and I would actually reset until I got the starting lineup of drones that I liked, and could easily get the ship upgrades I wanted. The more modules I use, the more I discover that (almost) all of them really have their place, and start to see some of the depth of strategy in the game.

ALSO a weird little side-note that I think most people would miss: I noticed one of the ships in the Adad galaxy was named the "Ghoti". I used to like a band called Ghoti Hook ages and ages and ages ago, so I'm in position to know that Ghoti is one of those non-words used to demonstrate how English can be weird. It's pronounced "fish"

Gh from enough
O from women (plural)
Ti from automation

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Bacter posted:

I'm actually really happy to see that people like the longer videos - I know it's a bit of a slog, but to me the interesting bit is picking your way through the ships, getting more powers while dealing with setbacks, and seeing all the things that can go wrong.

You're doing good work Bacter. ;)

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
But how do you pronounce that other word???

E: I do hope all their choruses had a fishy theme going on regardless of what the rest of the lyrics were about.

Karate Bastard fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Dec 23, 2017

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Bacter posted:

Actually, let's noodle this one out a little bit more, because I think there's some real potential:

Commandeer requires that there be "no uncontained radiation" and no airlocks open to space.

Airlocks, fine. I get it.

I'm less clear on what "uncontained" radiation is. My GUESS is that it means that, while a single room can be irradiated, it must not be connected by an open door to another irradiated room.

So: best case for this scenario, we have one drone with stealth, pry, and sensor (w/maglock), and we have a ship with ship surveyor and decontaminate on it.

Maglock is an upgrade for the sensor that keeps it from being vented into space when exposed to the outside.

We dock, and instantly know where all the airlocks are. Shuttle all the drones except your stealth one into the first safe room. If there's a vent there, weep. If not, load your stealth drone into the away vessel and dock at an airlock. Stealth up and open the door. Check around inside. If there's a monster in there, drop a sensor on the doorway, then redock at your original location. The room is vented into space, killing the monster. Re-dock there to close off the airlock.

Now, when a room is exposed to space, it does through three steps. First it's filled with vacuum. This can cause random failures in machinery in the room. Terminals, doors, defenses, all can break. Second, it fills with temporary radiation. This is marked by the message "room x is filling with radiation". If the source of the radiation is removed, this will go away on it's own.

The third step is when the room is 100% irradiated, marked by the message "room x has completely filled with radiation". This won't go away on it's own. It CAN be cleansed, a maximum of three times with the "decontaminate" ship module.

So: once you've cleared out the entryway for another of the docks, then cloak and start prying open doors. Some experimentation should teach us how many we can pry open so that the vacuum reaches each room, but none of them fill with radiation. Do that, then get your drone back in the away craft and re-dock. That whole section of the ship will now be shunted out into space. If you're quick enough, you can re-dock at that airlock just in time to keep any room from filling with radiation, but if you're off, you can clean it with decontaminate.
Repeat this process once per airlock, and you will have huge sections of the ship you can clean just with the vacuum!

Unless, of course, the airlock fails because of exposure to the outside. I don't know if that happens, and if it does, you'd have to abandon this procedure.
Your comments at the end were kinda backward: commandeering Hermes abandoned your Military A, and automatically collects all the loot. (If you're planning on commandeering, you can pretty much ignore Tow/Gather. Scan/Probe still give bonus scrap though.)

Tested it and yeah commandeering basically just requires a few rooms not irradiated, and all clean rooms are isolated from contaminated rooms. (doors closed). And I've never seen an airlock break from anything other than meteors and the 'seal failure' event. There's a weird corner case of radiation spreading contamination to an adjacent room sometimes when there are two partly-flooded rooms (connecting door open, and both are cut off from the original radiation source) somehow it creates a feedback loop that results in both eventually getting completely flooded. The game already has some pretty nonsensical physics, but this is just silly.

I originally made up the "Oracle Dark Run - No-Bombs, One Drone" challenge from watching your LP. Having actually gotten the game and screwed around, it's definitely possible. For no-power airlock shenanigans, if you use magnetic sensors you can't close the airlock unless you teleport the sensor out again (which doesn't work if you're in a hurry and don't want r1 full of monsters and/or radiation.)

...and apparently (upgraded) Teleport+Sensor+Trap+Trap lets you basically forget stealth/tactics and not need to pry many doors (good when you unleash radiation). Maybe show off whatever you come up with because it's a fun puzzle to come up with a strategy optimized for speed/success with minimal risk/challenge, but it is not very exciting to watch.

Maximum boredom endgame win-mode:
Drone1: Teleport(*t), Scan, Gather, Pry (teleport back and swap interface when needed)
Drone2: Tow, (two empty slots to swap from destroyed drones)
Drone3: Interface, Trap, (empty or another Trap if it's a big ship/station/outpost or I'm commandeering something and expect to deal with slime)
Drone4: Generator, Probe(*s), Sensor
Ship upgrades: uhhhh usually the wrong thing. I should probably swap these out as needed, but with maximum-roguelike-hoarding I end up with so many drone/ship upgrades there isn't room to unequip them.
Aliases... [[Resource scavenging: "ee=scan 1;gather 1 all"]], [[Teleporting around for scouting/etc: "tt=tele 1 $r"]], [[Teleporting sensors for scouting: "ts=tele 1 se $r"]], [[Blundered into the same loving swarmers AGAIN: "xx=tele 1 r1;close r1"]], [[Collecting towables: "grab=nav 2 ($r);tow 2;nav 2 r1"]], [[Come back here you little bastard: "fff=probe ($x) pickup"]]

And there are some bonus logs for computer nerds which look very different from the in-game messages. So you may or may not want to post them. Text documents in [steamwhatev\Duskers\Duskers_Data\DataStore\Objectives]

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Bacter posted:

Awesome update

You said you'd post the updated info for the Singularity objective?

Edit: Also, I'm loving these "destroying humanity" segments.

azren fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Dec 23, 2017

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Right you are!

Actually, we got a FEW new logs:

Pandemic

Log 5
Log 6

Grey Goo

Log 5
Log 6

Singularity

Log 5
Log 6

And, at last, the one we had to fight for...

Log 7

UH OH

So the question remains, my malchikiwicks...

What should we do now?

Edit: Just because we got the "storyline" log for the singularity doesn't mean there aren't more logs to get that add context and clues from muteki vessels, but it means I'll either pick them up en route to another objective, or I'll do it in interludes or off-camera.

Do keep in mind when you're reading through these logs, they are all meant to have been sent in a coherent storyline. It doesn't mean they're all RIGHT, or that they all tell the total story. Some of it is bad guesswork, but it's not like each set of logs is describing some mutually independent story from the others. We're looking for a unified scenario.

Bacter fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Dec 24, 2017

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
A unified scenario?
So my guess is that a plague-spewing superpredator was rampaging through ships and eating all the people, so the hyper-intelligent AI used reprogrammed nanobots to melt all the remaining people so the predator would die off from hunger. Then a black hole exploded or something(the 'cosmic event') and destroyed the AI, so now there's nothing left but remnants. Am I missing something?

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Nuramor posted:

Am I missing something?

I'm not putting down on that theory - it's a live one, and we can enter the mix with it. It's got some pepper, some sauce.

THAT SAID

By unified theory, I mean one that takes into account all the logs we've seen. Remember, just because a theory is a theory doesn't mean it's true. All the logs are a mixture of facts and interpretation, and the interpretation might be wrong (or the facts might be badly stated or incomplete). There are a few theories that I just don't think end up holding water when the Dusker universe is explored and the logs read.

Which are the good ones?

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
My theory is everyone hates the drone operator and put him in cryo-freeze while they all left.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
We are already in a predictive ORCHID simulation and are forbidden from going deeper for infringement reasons? (Or because further recursion would be useless, and possibly because adding the noise of modeling a model of a model could summon Xzibit)

I like Bogart's theory though.

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

Here's my theory on what's going on
https://youtu.be/f2frhH5nwr0

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
That was a nice piece of work on that singularity ship. So is that it? Is it over? For that plotline at least?

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

All I can say is that, with the current information we have, we're not sure what to DO about the potential threat. What we found is at least VERY VERY interesting, and will be valuable data to send out to other duskers/survivors, but as far as active things to do go, we've got other open tasks.

That's not to say that poking around Muteki ships is a BAD idea - in fact, that's a reasonable course of action!

(it's loadin', give it time etc.)

In the meantime, I did the next-most popular option, and went after the PANDEMIC plotline!

Pandemic

Log 7

So... THAT'S interesting!

Do we:

1) Continue the pandemic line? or
2) Do something else?

(Grey Goo / Super Predator / Cosmic Event / Search Muteki ships for more logs)

ALSO

Next-to-last theory update

Bacter fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Dec 27, 2017

Sanguinaire
Feb 10, 2003
Quarantined fuel depots and space stations are totally good options for scanning the bio-hazard sample, those are the only stations you dock at normally.

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Press X to jump, then press X again!
Toilet Rascal
Repair one of the basic three modules = 10 scrap, gives you one with like a 5% failure rate.
Scrap and new-build that module = 10 - 3 = 7 scrap, gives you a brand new module.

Scrap the tow and build a new one! It's cheaper and better!

I also hope you learned your lesson: if you already know there's a conveniently located enemy, move your recon drone back to the ship, drop a sensor, rejoin the rest of your landing party, then let the ship go do the job without a live video feed. I think we can forgive you this time, though, considering the faff you suffered through trying to get this objective done the first time.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Bacter posted:

All I can say is that, with the current information we have, we're not sure what to DO about the potential threat. What we found is at least VERY VERY interesting, and will be valuable data to send out to other duskers/survivors, but as far as active things to do go, we've got other open tasks.

That's not to say that poking around Muteki ships is a BAD idea - in fact, that's a reasonable course of action!

(it's loadin', give it time etc.)

In the meantime, I did the next-most popular option, and went after the PANDEMIC plotline!

Pandemic

Log 7

So... THAT'S interesting!

Do we:

1) Continue the pandemic line? or
2) Do something else?

(Grey Goo / Super Predator / Cosmic Event / Search Muteki ships for more logs)

ALSO

Next-to-last theory update

Sheesh, you have completely forgotten that you have remote power installed, haven't you? I get that you're on a bit of a reroute high after discovering that it's actually useful, but about 70% of all rerouting you did in that first ship could have been done with a single remote.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Basically the only objective that isn't "hit a bunch of X/Y/Z ships until the RNG gives you more logs" is the gray goo "scan every room of a class A or B station" which is easy if you keep a Scan/Probe (the stealth probe upgrade makes them basically immortal, which is convenient). So here's a vote for working your way toward a military ship+outpost since that has the largest number of independent variables that can't just be done along the way.

Also you might want to keep some reserve P-fuel in case you find a system that's worth exploring more. Unless you encounter an infinite J-fuel bug like I have, in which case you have to visit everything in the entire universe.

edit: Sensors are good at picking up when slimes spawn, like if you drop them a in the room with your Generator/Interface bots you'll get alerted while the first blob is still inside the wall, giving plenty of time to open/close doors and gtfo safely.

silentsnack fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Dec 28, 2017

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

silentsnack posted:

Also you might want to keep some reserve P-fuel in case you find a system that's worth exploring more. Unless you encounter an infinite J-fuel bug like I have, in which case you have to visit everything in the entire universe.

A very good idea. Not the bug i mean, the fuel. I'm trying to hoard it as much as possible, and I know that's never enough!

silentsnack posted:

edit: Sensors are good at picking up when slimes spawn, like if you drop them a in the room with your Generator/Interface bots you'll get alerted while the first blob is still inside the wall, giving plenty of time to open/close doors and gtfo safely.

Yeah, this may be the go-to for sensors in the future. If nothing else, it'll keep any slip-ups in slimewatch 2018 from dooming a generator.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
Can you reroute power from a generator you remote powered? If you can, do you even need a dedicated generator bot anymore?

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Aumanor posted:

Can you reroute power from a generator you remote powered? If you can, do you even need a dedicated generator bot anymore?

The generator bot system degrades a LOT slower than the ship based one, and is cheaper to rebuild (never fix gen, gather, tow). If you use ship remote power every time you'll be spending a lot of scrap just keeping it operational...and if it ever goes bad on you you're done.

Anta
Mar 5, 2007

What a nice day for a gassing
I started playing this after watching this LP. I really enjoy coming up with aliases, so far my favorite alias has been
code:
sneak=stealth;(d$);(d$)
The way to use it is to nose your stealth drone up against the door you want to explore through, let's say d10, and then type "sneak d10". This stealths your drone, opens the door and immediately attempts to close it again, but since your drone is now blocking the door it doesn't close. Now you can drive your stealth drone into the doorway, take a look at the next room and if you don't like whatever is behind it, back out immediately, letting the door shut again. If you decide to go through, the door is closed behind you automatically.

This has already saved my rear end a few times, my automatic response to seeing a swarm is to back the gently caress away anyway.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
I've started exploring with sensor and upgraded teleport. It's super safe. You put sensor on your generator drone, because as soon as slime comes into play you really do want to drop one off at your generator drone always, and have all others except your exploration drone huddle up right next to it lest they become slime food. Also if you have your combat drone in there you can immediately turret any outbreaks with very little ammo spent. So if you drop one sensor you might as well drop two since this doesn't cause extra wear and sensors are cheap. Use upgraded teleport to lob the sensor next door, and now green means safe, since sensor is never inconclusive and also picks up slime. If safe, move teleport drone on after and repeat. If sensor gets attacked, it's Christmas, since only space piñatas do that, so turret it or teleport a trap in there. If not try the isolation tango. If it moves and didn't attack the sensor then it will not drop scrap, so you can just vent it or whatever. If not then it's probably slime so trap it or vent it. Just this vanilla way works great, and it's even greater if you have a way to survey, like remote power, ship surveyor or interface.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

I'd like to continue Pandemic, since we're already making good progress.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

I find a combination of stealth probe and ship surveyor really makes your explorations informed. Knowing what's there to pickup (aside from spoils from attack drones) can really limit your potential exposure.

Anta posted:

...so far my favorite alias has been sneak=stealth;(d$);(d$)

This is really neat, thanks!

Karate Bastard posted:

I've started exploring with sensor and upgraded teleport. ... If sensor gets attacked, it's Christmas, since only space pinatas do that, ...

Never tried using teleport before, neat.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Since you can bork the takeover of critical-to-the-story ships, is it possible to brick a game by failing at most of them? Does that require a full reset?

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

KazigluBey posted:

Since you can bork the takeover of critical-to-the-story ships, is it possible to brick a game by failing at most of them? Does that require a full reset?

A soft reset will do it, but yes, if you mess up a story-critical ship you'll need to start over and try it again.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
Soo... Is it fair to talk about Interlude 3? Cause it's been up on your channel for a while and arggghhhhh. If it is fair I'm going to have words about it.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

Aumanor posted:

Interlude 3

Mistakes were made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Totally! Sorry guys - anything up on my channel is fair to talk about. Work got super worky, hence the delay.

Feel uh... free to talk about what happened. In interlude 3.

• Locked thread