Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Nie wywoluj wilka z lasu, glupku.

SugarAddict posted:

I just lost a game because I had pry but I didn't requip it and all my drones got caught in a room with no power and the last remaining powerinlet was in an inaccessable room that I needed pry to access. :negative:
This game is pretty crazy with how often the RNG decides to kill all your stuff.

How did you...

Oh who am I kidding, I'm sure I've done that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Bacter posted:

How did you...

Oh who am I kidding, I'm sure I've done that.

I figure it was probably Remote Power holding up a generator until Surprise Meteor Shower or the generator spontaneously breaking down.

That does sound like the losing combination that would lead to the aforementioned drones being stuck in a room no one can get to anymore.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Well, there IS a cheat mode in the game that allows you to equip drones with certain upgrades on the fly during a mission, and other stuff.

Not really appropriate for an LP (it also leaves an incriminating "cheat mode activated" in the console log), but it's handy in cases where you deem the calvacade of RNG to be too bullshit for your tastes.

Also, i totally locked all my drones in an unpowered room without pry before, too.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
I got all mine eaten by the vent critter. Bacter being all ooooohhh these vents are a bad thing cause later game enemies, whereas over here my game went F U very munch on mission 2.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Karate Bastard posted:

I got all mine eaten by the vent critter. Bacter being all ooooohhh these vents are a bad thing cause later game enemies, whereas over here my game went F U very munch on mission 2.

Man, what?

I need to do some research how to get those guys to show up. It's only the enemies that don't cheat and destroy you and your entire strike force so far for me! SUPER dull!

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
I've just found in my last couple of missions mobs that just sit perfectly still in the room until a drone comes IN the room, after which they chase/attack/kill it, then immediately run back to their room and resume what they were doing. My only solution for those mobs was an airlock or a nearby airlock. The first time this happened to me it was a leaper sitting on the opposite side of the door and I wasn't using cloak. I panicked for a few seconds before realizing it wasn't going to move. Since it was in a room in an airlock I just vented the room and commandeered the ship.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
I think it's triggered by showing off the game to small kids who are excited about robots and horrified at seeing them torn to shreds by an inescapable enemy that can move through walls.

E: I'm thinking these unlocks carry over between resets? Because either I'm getting progressively worse at the game, or it gets harder and harder. For example I rarely see ships with zero infestation types anymore.

E2: aaaaahahaha! I see you you sneaky little difficulty options "Easy Starting Galaxy: Disabled", "Enemy Types Reset: Don't Reset". This makes resets kinda brutal if you ask me.

Karate Bastard fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Nov 26, 2017

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

I 100% know that they carry over... ok yeah, there's an option for it.

To be honest, I kind of prefer NOT having the resets on. Might as well go 0-60 in your first ship!

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
The problem with that is you end up with situations you can't deal with because you don't have the modules for it. Motion won't show mobs that are sitting perfectly still and if you go wandering into a room without stealth or teleporting a sensor into it you might have to kiss that drone goodbye or blow it out the airlock with the mob you can't get rid of any other way.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

As always, give it a half hour or so!

So, doing something a little different:

I wanted to start abridging the ships/missions that we've seen before, but the last update (the one where I lost the video) AND this update haven't really had a TON different. I certainly use a few new modules (turret, transporter), and we see some new ship layouts, but I still haven't got some of the tougher enemies to spawn, and we haven't tackled any new missions.

In light of that, I'm calling this video an INTERLUDE:

it won't further the plot of duskers, it isn't a Big New Development, but if you, like me, love that sweet Dusking Action, it'll show you what our fearless Drone Operator is up to between Big Plot Points.

Actually, this video illustrates pretty well one of the more insidious threats of Duskers: lack. We're continually repairing our stuff. I'll probably jump ship and grab something a little better before long, but for now, our drones, module slots, ship schematics, cameras, just, EVERYTHING starts to fall apart. We're as careful as we can be, but there isn't infinite scrap. We'll have to start making smart tactical choices.

Ship and Drone configs have been updated in the second post, and are now:

We've ALSO got a bunch of new logs. Here are all of 'em so far!

Note: The writing is really very good in this game - I wouldn't miss these!

Pandemic (Medical vessels)
Theory
Log 1
Log 2

Singularity (Muteki Vessels)
Theory
Log 1
Log 2
Log 3

Cosmic Event (Military Vessels)
Theory
Log 1

Grey Goo (Space Stations/Fuel Depots)
Theory
Log 1

Super Predator (Military Vessels)
Theory
Log 1
Log 2

Hey You (Personal communication from... a source)
Log 1
Log 2

Unfiled (Personal communication from the crew of the derelicts)
Log 1
Log 2
Log 3
Log 4

If any of this makes you want to start pursuing something new, just let me know! We'll be changing ships soon, so new ship names are good, new drone names are good.

I'll start putting together little short videos talking about each of the doomsday possibilities we've encountered, to flesh them out a little more. The more information we get, the more things we can glean from the universe, the closer we'll get to narrowing down which of these leads is the MOST worth pursuing, so suggest what you think!

Bacter fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Nov 28, 2017

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
transport 5 r1 (or 6, or 7)

edit: also, never repair generator, gather, or tow. cheaper to scrap and build a new module

I think when a ship slot goes, it takes the upgrade with it. so if you have a yellow/orange slot, best to swap around your upgrades so a more-expendable one is taken out if you get unlucky.

OAquinas fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Nov 28, 2017

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
How does repairing your ship compare to just stealing 'new' ones? It looks like they are often rusted out hulks regardless.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
I think the point may be that you should feel like you are wading through garbage, scavenging and pilfering as you go in some race against entropy. Repairs are hella steep! Also I saw some developer mention online that hull condition doesn't matter at all after commander, so there's that.

Also sorry for this tangent but holy poo poo season 8 Red Dwarf is some of the worst garbage. My advice if you did take me up on my recommendation to binge it, do skip this one, because hot gently caress did it ever turn into Keeping Up Appearances With GCI. Who did they lobotomize???? Are the rest of the seasons equally garbage please say it ain't so?

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Tylana posted:

How does repairing your ship compare to just stealing 'new' ones? It looks like they are often rusted out hulks regardless.

The issue becomes a question of scrap totals, range, upgrade slots (biggie), and fixed upgrades. I've been able to find ships with great scrap capacity, but crap upgrade slots.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Karate Bastard posted:

I think the point may be that you should feel like you are wading through garbage, scavenging and pilfering as you go in some race against entropy. Repairs are hella steep! Also I saw some developer mention online that hull condition doesn't matter at all after commander, so there's that.

Also sorry for this tangent but holy poo poo season 8 Red Dwarf is some of the worst garbage. My advice if you did take me up on my recommendation to binge it, do skip this one, because hot gently caress did it ever turn into Keeping Up Appearances With GCI. Who did they lobotomize???? Are the rest of the seasons equally garbage please say it ain't so?

Come watch Series X. We have such sights to show you.

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

OAquinas posted:

The issue becomes a question of scrap totals, range, upgrade slots (biggie), and fixed upgrades. I've been able to find ships with great scrap capacity, but crap upgrade slots.

Scrap capacity is not really important, upgrades/slots are really what matters.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Deathwind posted:

Scrap capacity is not really important, upgrades/slots are really what matters.

I'm USUALLY on that train, because by the time you get rolling you're repairing stuff faster than you can horde, but there IS a lower limit. Some dinky 12-scrap shuttle means you end up wasting scrap on stuff that doesn't matter, and some of the larger hauls I've had this run I couldn't've taken home.

Tylana posted:

I've found that age and quality of ships DO decrease as you go on, but there are some systems/galaxies with better, and some with worse.

Bacter fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Nov 29, 2017

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'm also loath to pick up anything with P fuel capacity less than 6.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
It turns out that shunning rooms that have vents in them to the point of getting what you want in them then shutting the doors and never opening them again is a valid and encouraged tactic. I was going though a room with a vent in it, swarm spawns and incaps a drone, I heard the swarm toward a defense turret a room away and they all die. I get another drone to tow the disabled drone back and my tow drone is greeted by another swarm when I open the door. A single vent spawned two swarms in about a minute. gently caress vents.

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

Vents don't 'spawn' anything, they are just permanently open paths to other sections of the ship. Treat them as doors that are broken/jamed open.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Nope. They are pos def spawn points. And also what you said.

E: They can spawn max 2 swarms.

E2: I realize that the gimpy terminal interpreter is part of the Duskers experience, but man oh man does it make me itch for a proper bash shell, or hell give me a python interpreter and I'll show you drone magic baby like you never seen. I'll boo the bejeesus out of you!

Karate Bastard fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Nov 29, 2017

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Deathwind posted:

Vents don't 'spawn' anything, they are just permanently open paths to other sections of the ship. Treat them as doors that are broken/jamed open.

I was 100% under this same impression, but it looks that isn't true!

Having them be their own spawn points makes some things make a LOT more sense, but it's also kind of a dirty trick.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
I got totally pwned once for thinking that. They truly are the worst. Worse than britcoms even.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Also when you type "gather all" and the drone can't seem to pick up the scrap that's plainly under its feet, a simple "gather" will often do the work instantly.

About upgrades, using them and fixing them: upgrades are expensive to fix, so use them sparingly. Upgrades take wear at first activation, and repeat uses don't cause significant additional wear. So bring as many as you like and as long as you only fire them up in emergencies you can keep the things basically forever, and never mind repairing them, because you'll have spares or alternatives. For example I always keep Remote Power handy if I can, but I only ever activate it if I absolutely have to, which is actually very very rarely, as most of the time you can just move your one generator drone around to cater to your needs. I also always bring something offensive along if I can, but still prefer to just vent the baddies into space with no munitions spent, no repairs required. There is a caveat though, but we'll get to that in time I suspect.

About ship surveyor:
Ship surveyor is super good with the upgrade that lets you see what rooms have weakened structural integrity, so you don't leave your drones hanging around bad rooms or leave the wrong doors open. Equip for volatiles or worse for best value for money.

Here's a drone upgrade combo that has kept me afloat a good time now:
1) Stealth, Turret, Shield.
2) Generator, Trap, Pry (last two can be anything that you'll use very rarely)
3) Tow, Interface, Empty
4) Gather, Scan, Empty

Drone 1 goes first with Stealth to spot. 4 follows to Scan and Gather. Useful aliases:
heel=navigate 4 1
treat=scan 4; gather 4 all
downboy=navigate 4 2
surprise=shield 1; turret 1

A surprising gotcha about that combo though:
Shield deactivates stealth, shield or stealth deactivates turret, cool ambush you got there *blam/munch* :haw:

Karate Bastard fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Nov 30, 2017

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Karate Bastard posted:

Also when you type "gather all" and the drone can't seem to pick up the scrap that's plainly under its feet, a simple "gather" will often do the work instantly.

About upgrades, using them and fixing them: upgrades are expensive to fix, so use them sparingly. Upgrades take wear at first activation, and repeat uses don't cause significant additional wear. So bring as many as you like and as long as you only fire them up in emergencies you can keep the things basically forever, and never mind repairing them, because you'll have spares or alternatives. For example I always keep Remote Power handy if I can, but I only ever activate it if I absolutely have to, which is actually very very rarely, as most of the time you can just move your one generator drone around to cater to your needs. I also always bring something offensive along if I can, but still prefer to just vent the baddies into space with no munitions spent, no repairs required. There is a caveat though, but we'll get to that in time I suspect.

About ship surveyor:
Ship surveyor is super good with the upgrade that lets you see what rooms have weakened structural integrity, so you don't leave your drones hanging around bad rooms or leave the wrong doors open. Equip for volatiles or worse for best value for money.

A surprising gotcha about that combo though:
Shield deactivates stealth, shield or stealth deactivates turret, cool ambush you got there *blam/munch* :haw:

How do you use the ship surveyer to find weak spots? and I think you have to turn on shield before you turn on turret. so it would be "Shield; Turret" so it activates shield then turret.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
It does that by itself if you just upgrade it and equip it. And thanks for the tip! Adding it above.

E: and by that I mean the schematic view will have additional annotations that show the findings.

Karate Bastard fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Nov 30, 2017

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Correct. The annotations plus the ship layout are Really Useful. Obviously its not a must-have, if you're hurting for ship upgrade slots, but it definitely has a place.

This game is ultimately all about information. The more you have, the better chances of survival.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yes. For example the fact that the item < Craft Jump Fuel > that's sold at autotraders for 20 scrap does not actually give you the ability to < Craft Jump Fuel > from the < Create > menu, like you do with the < Generator > and < Tow > items, is one such piece of information which would have been nice to have, really, at this one specific point in time that comes to mind now.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Wow. There are so many ways the universe could be ending. I wonder if this is Murder On the Orient Express style oblivion.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Karate Bastard posted:

So... aliasing "grab=gather;gather all" would do it?

Glazius posted:

Wow. There are so many ways the universe could be ending. I wonder if this is Murder On the Orient Express style oblivion.
Fortunately the meteor obliterating Central America caused a mega-tsunami that coincidentally prevented the hemorrhagic-sneeze-shart flu epidemic from spreading outside of Florida, but the waves also released an Australian mad scientist's genemodded snakebirds and jellyfishbees. It was simultaneously the best and worst April Fools' Day prank ever.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

silentsnack posted:

So... aliasing "grab=gather;gather all" would do it?

Heyyyy nice one!

Meanwhile I'm getting rekt by these old hulks with 3-4 infestation types going on and sneeze-to-annihilate hull integrities. I was dismayed to find there's at least two categories of hull condition beyond "volatile" and none of them are encouraging. My resources are down the crapper and I'm running out of ships to plunder and no stargate beside the one I came through. In the past I've managed this by snafuing myself into some kind of team wipe disaster, but there has to be a better way! Wanna see how bacter handles this now.

E: ...aaaaaand now I got roided. Good times.

Karate Bastard fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Dec 7, 2017

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

Did they ever fix that infinite scrap bug?

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Deathwind posted:

Did they ever fix that infinite scrap bug?

Tell me more. :allears:

I'm not sure I'm above cheating in this singleplayer game. I should get back and try it again.

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

Teledahn posted:

I'm not sure I'm above cheating in this singleplayer game. I should get back and try it again.

I won't completely spoil it without Bacter's ok but you need a loop of specific action and then canceling a different specific action.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Teledahn posted:

If you really want to, find the location of your Duskers save files somewhere in your Documents folder, open the file config.txt there (that was an empty text file for me) and add this line there:
code:
AllowCheating=yes
Voilą, cheating possible. You can then enable and disable cheat mode in-game by pressing X + C. Aside from the obvious, it does various things like no fuel consumption during movement, showing monster locations in schematic view, and access to dev commands in the drone console (you can view them with "? dev" or "h dev").

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Apropos of nothing, a simple "remote" will list what powers inlets you have found and which of them are powered. Helps with figuring out what to depower / repower.

Also it seems too me that while angry drones like to patrol their entire accessible areas and are easy to corral that way (maybe they're security guards?), the organics/leapers seem more prone to have a home/territory that they don't like to leave, so they'll just sit there ignoring you and your silly slamming of the doors, waiting to bite your head off. Lures are nice that way.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Well that actually WOULD have been quite helpful!

GIVEN THAT WE'RE FINALLY SEEING SOME LATE-GAME CONTENT!

Moreso than even usual, the long-play version of this one is for people who want the FULL dusking experience, whereas the only real NEW content can be seen in the cut version.

Basically, now we're starting to get into harder and harder situations, where degrading happens more and more, we need more modules to be successful, and ships are... just no fun at all! AND IT'S SO GREAT

Whole mess of new logs, too:

Cosmic Event
Log 2
Log 3

Super-Predator
Log 3

Grey Goo
Log 2
Log 3
Log 4

Singularity
Log 4

Unfiled
Log 5
Log 6

Bacter fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Dec 12, 2017

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

So one little supplement I wanted to do:

They 100% in media res the plot, and you, the drone pilot, are trying to put together what ended humanity (at least locally).

You develop theories, and, while the writing is really good, I wanted to explore the implications of each of the theories. It'd be cool to talk about what each one would entail, how it fits (or does not fit) with the evidence we've found. Towards the end of the LP, I'll ask for a big vote on what we think happened to everybody, which will affect our ending.

In the meantime, let's reason through what we can given our limited information.

I'll be tackling one theory per episode, and including some good ambient sci-fi music to go along with it. Starting with the one I'm most qualified to talk about, on account of a master's degree in microbiology and some of that work done on malaria and other infectious agents: THE PANDEMIC THEORY!

Bacter fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Dec 22, 2017

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Press X to jump, then press X again!
Toilet Rascal
As far as I can tell (as a layman) the biggest threat to the pandemic theory - and specifically the asymptomatic incubation period long enough to spread throughout this entire intergalactic civilisation - is that scanner. We've managed to get to the point where genome mapping is measured in hours rather than days, and, as you pointed out, the Duskers civilisation clearly has a few different degrees of bioscan available even without taking an actual blood sample. After a certain point, it becomes so simple to do deep, thorough analyses of incoming visitors and stock that it would be horribly negligent to not do them, when much of your civilisation depends on permanent residence in pressurised vessels full of nooks and crannies that would be difficult or practically impossible to thoroughly cleanse.

It's possible that a pandemic would combine with some other factor that was taking up everyone's focus, or simply that the civilisation was negligent - most fiction is allowed at least one gimme, and it would be a pretty boring game if there was no need for a lonely drone operator - but it seems likely that, at the very least, the infection would have to be quick enough off the block to do something before a mandatory blood test spotted it and a targetted simulation (maybe something like Folding@Home and the flu evolution phylogenetics thing supercharged by a few hundred years) said "Oh gently caress this thing could be devastating."

Re: video 5, how quick is the grower? Was there a chance you could have rescued that drone you spotted next to it if you'd immediately sent drone 3 there to tow it out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

I could be wrong, but I think only inorganic enemies attack probes. Or maybe that's dropped scanners I'm thinking of.

Never repair generator, tow, or gather. Scrap and rebuild.

Shield is very useful for your turret guy. If he's just out of place slightly a leaper can do damage before it dies. Plus you can get anti-radiation as a mod for it, so a busted room is no longer off limits.

• Locked thread