Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Everyone's parents fucks their kids up somehow. The only difference is how. While many of us still love them, I don't think anyone would keep their upbringing the exact same. Hindsight lets us imagine life with an editor's pen. Maybe we'd be more adjusted if we had more home-cooked meals, or were taken seriously when we asked why our gym teacher made us pose for photos. Maybe we'd get someone to stop us from wearing Dragon button-up shirts every day in 9th grade, or take publishing that awful fanfiction seriously knowing that Stephanie Meyers and the 50 Shades lady can make it. The possibilities are endless.

So if you could change one major thing about your childhood, what would it be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I'd get my parents to stop overpraising me like a puppy they just can't believe is learning to talk and read, and actually get involved in talking to me about growing up.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
I'd beg my parents to move out of the poo poo-rear end southern nowheresville town I grew up in, it sucked there and will always suck there.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

like a cigarette should posted:

I'd beg my parents to move out of the poo poo-rear end southern nowheresville town I grew up in, it sucked there and will always suck there.
How far away was your nearest Wal-Mart?

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
I probably would try not to get bullied so much

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT

mind the walrus posted:

How far away was your nearest Wal-Mart?

I was far away from everything, even the Wal-Mart. I'm talking 'teens hanging out at the gas station because there's nowhere else to go' small town.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
When it was becoming obvious that I didn't enjoy the same hobbies, social groups and activities as my older sister they should have let me do my own loving thing and not just whatever they signed my sister up for.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

like a cigarette should posted:

I was far away from everything, even the Wal-Mart. I'm talking 'teens hanging out at the gas station because there's nowhere else to go' small town.
I'm surprised this wasn't the premise to a SNiCK show in the early 90s.

EvilJoven posted:

When it was becoming obvious that I didn't enjoy the same hobbies, social groups and activities as my older sister they should have let me do my own loving thing and not just whatever they signed my sister up for.
What did they sign you two up for? Being the younger sibling in that kind-of dynamic is guaranteed to suck even if you like the activity.

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Should have shot my dad. I thought about it, how I was a minor (about ten to twelve) and so I wouldn't be tried as an adult. But there was only a rifle, so nope.

Other big regret is when my grandmother offered to put me in a prestigious private school ( I was smart) but she waited too long, I was about to start high school and didn't want to. That's actually my biggest regret really. Who knows what I would have become, maybe I would have gotten a scholarship and went to college.

Regret is poison in your soul.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Shoulda played hookie more often. So much wasted time.

Monos Bullet
Dec 6, 2016

Yea, and I say unto you, bringeth me a machiatto of caramel, with crickets on top.
sometimes i wish i was forced to interact with people more other times i wish i was never introduced to society altogether.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

It'd be cool if my dad had talked to me and taught me how to do things like the dads on the television set do

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Spinster posted:

Should have shot my dad. I thought about it, how I was a minor (about ten to twelve) and so I wouldn't be tried as an adult.

this but also then go on to marry my mother. that would have owned

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Alternatively, the ending of the butterfly effect

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Spinster posted:

Regret is poison in your soul.
Which is all the more reason to articulate it, so it becomes a part of the past and not a part of you.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Tolkien minority posted:

It'd be cool if my dad had talked to me and taught me how to do things like the dads on the television set do

You were raised by feral skunks

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Should have learned to play the guitar. Should have learned to play them drums.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Should have learned to play the guitar. Should have learned to play them drums.

lol

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Tolkien minority posted:

A dad with patience, mental-flexibility, and aware of how to be masculine without being a bullying prick is chillingly rare.

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi
more goldfish brand crackers

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
Should've let Harvey Weinstein ra-

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Tolkien minority posted:

Hell same.

Finally ended up blowing up with me losing my poo poo yelling at him when I was around 20 and trying to fix something on my car and he just took over everything completely ignoring me. I realise now that alot of my worst traits I learned directly from him, so the next generation is probably hosed as well lol.

Les Os
Mar 29, 2010
Get divorced sooner

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

I had a really good childhood OP and now I am successful because my parents were fantastic. XOXO

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Les Os posted:

Get divorced sooner

Ch ild bride, so sad

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

buddhanc posted:

I had a really good childhood OP and now I am successful because my parents were fantastic. XOXO

Sure, rub it in. :rolleyes:

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
Shoulda probably smoked pot in high school and learned an instrument instead of just playing video games and reading these dead gay forums

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Your parental guidance or lack thereof, and childhood experiences were all important in shaping the person you are today. Lots of people think "oh if X had been different I'd be such a different person" but the reality is different rarely means better, and even if it did how would you know, and why bother wasting time thinking about it? You are who you are and that's pretty awesome :)

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I am basically the version of Picard that went back in time and stopped himself from getting stabbed in the heart and ended up being stuck as a junior science officer for the rest of his life because he kept taking the safe route. Still waiting for future me to go back in time to fix that up. Any time now. Anytime now. :smith:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

If I had started smoking pot earlier in high school, I would have probably had a lot less of a hard time but I also probably would have fallen in with the pothead crowd in my school, most of which turned out to be assholes with no lives after HS

If I had gotten a real job in my field right after college, I would probably be making pretty great money at a job I didn't hate, but I also wouldn't have ended up spending 8 years in a city I fell in love with, working some ridiculous and fun/crazy jobs, meeting my wife and stealing my cat from one of those ridiculous jobs

all worth it IMO

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
I dunno ill leave it as is

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.
For the love of god don't homeschool me and don't make my brothers shoot my guinea pigs in the head because we have to move

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

the one thing I'd probably change about my childhood would have been being a little more appreciative of my parents. My dad messed with me on my 11th birthday saying he couldn't find an N64, but sure enough there was one wrapped and waiting the next morning for me. My birthday is in December, and I still cringe to think how much time and loving effort he spent to snag an N64 on launch season right before Christmas, and how I was so bratty and lovely that I pouted all through dinner the night before because of it.

poo poo like that. I'm glad I can still remind them I appreciate that sort of thing and am old enough to understand how often they almost pushed themselves into financial ruin to raise my and my sister with everything we wanted :unsmith:

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

AWarmBody posted:

For the love of god don't homeschool me and don't make my brothers shoot my guinea pigs in the head because we have to move

Did that happen? Oh my god

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

AWarmBody posted:

:chloe:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Kelp Me! posted:

Your parental guidance or lack thereof, and childhood experiences were all important in shaping the person you are today. Lots of people think "oh if X had been different I'd be such a different person" but the reality is different rarely means better, and even if it did how would you know, and why bother wasting time thinking about it? You are who you are and that's pretty awesome :)

Kelp Me! posted:

If I had started smoking pot earlier in high school, I would have probably had a lot less of a hard time but I also probably would have fallen in with the pothead crowd in my school, most of which turned out to be assholes with no lives after HS

If I had gotten a real job in my field right after college, I would probably be making pretty great money at a job I didn't hate, but I also wouldn't have ended up spending 8 years in a city I fell in love with, working some ridiculous and fun/crazy jobs, meeting my wife and stealing my cat from one of those ridiculous jobs

all worth it IMO
Did you ever consider that this is maybe something you don't have the empathetic reach for?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

mind the walrus posted:

Did you ever consider that this is maybe something you don't have the empathetic reach for?

Not really? Obviously I've thought about this sort of thing, I just came to the conclusion that I'm content with the decisions I made and the surrounding environment I grew up in :)

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
probably the poverty and alcoholic single mom with 3 kids part, yeah

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Kelp Me! posted:

Not really? Obviously I've thought about this sort of thing, I just came to the conclusion that I'm content with the decisions I made and the surrounding environment I grew up in :)

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Sure, rub it in. :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Maybe I just read too much time travel sci-fi as a kid and am desperately afraid that even the slightest change in my past would have had massive repercussions to my current life

basically

• Locked thread