Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

I could have done without the crippling anxiety and crushing depression

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Repo Man
Nov 19, 2005
If my mom had divorced my dad years earlier than she actually did, that could have made a crucial difference in how my life turned out. I had no idea at the time, but a trip we took to visit my uncle in Michigan when I was eight was her feeling out the possibility of leaving my father and moving there. Too bad she didn't go through with it.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

clone on the phone posted:

I could have done without the crippling anxiety and crushing depression
Or at the very least better treatment for it earlier on. If someone had caught my ever-so-slightly atypical autism and took my very early onset depressive symptoms seriously I could have gotten my poo poo together much, much sooner.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

i moved so much, i had to move ot a new country whenever i made friends and its made me bad at keeping longterm relationships and friendships

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Caesar Saladin posted:

i moved so much, i had to move ot a new country whenever i made friends and its made me bad at keeping longterm relationships and friendships

:same:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i can't think of anything that would have prevented the ridiculous bouts of depression i've had on and off since i started puberty. so uh, better brain chemistry? yeah, that sounds good.

Arthe Xavier
Apr 22, 2007

Artificial Stupidity
I would like to slap the anorexic teenage-me and tell him that everything will ( eventually ) be OK. I was a fat kid, a lonely video-gaming bookworm smart-rear end, and I was relentlessly bullied. So I developed an eating-disorder. I thought I was an ugly kid, but I turned out pretty good ( I have hit my stride in my 30's - age really makes a difference here, as I looked like a baby-faced moron 'til my late 20's ). My parents were clueless what to do with me back then, as they just couldn't understand a boy having body-issues, but at least they tried.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Caesar Saladin posted:

:same:

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
if some stupid loving doctor would've given me ritalin or whatever in 1st grade when add symptoms first presented

nah lets just have him bang his head on the wall trying to get through school for 20 years he'll figure it out eventually heh

Telephones
Apr 28, 2013
I probably would have started doing drugs a lot earlier. What is the minimum age? I'm going to say ten. Round number.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

soy posted:

if some stupid loving doctor would've given me ritalin or whatever in 1st grade when add symptoms first presented

nah lets just have him bang his head on the wall trying to get through school for 20 years he'll figure it out eventually heh
poo poo, amphetemines don't make school more fun. They just make the boredom more intense.

terminal chillness
Oct 16, 2008

This baby is off the charts
Hey Dad, please stop letting me hang out at the creepy neighbor dude's house. Im 8 and hes like 30. Also get that mole checked out now not later. Thanks.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

phasmid posted:

poo poo, amphetemines don't make school more fun. They just make the boredom more intense.

They make it possible to read and do work consistently. I don’t find them fun at all, mostly painful really.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

soy posted:

They make it possible to read and do work consistently. I don’t find them fun at all, mostly painful really.
drat. Sorry to hear that, sounds like a lose-lose situation.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I wish they would have challenged me more. Make me actually try and achieve something instead of praising my participation award and telling me I'm the smartest special snowflake ever and letting me go play video games all day in my room. It probably wouldn't have worked and it's not really their fault, but who knows?

Also when I said I didn't wanna leave to go to college because I wanted to stay home with all my friends someone should have slapped me.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
I would have brushed my God damned teeth.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I find it easier to just repress the memories.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
I mistakenly seriousposted in this thread
ignore me

Peanut President fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Oct 27, 2017

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
I would have approached transition at a much earlier age. I think if I had known and told my mother when I was a kid, she would have been just as receptive. I also would have bought Nickelodeon Moon shoes.

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

mind the walrus posted:

I'd get my parents to stop overpraising me like a puppy they just can't believe is learning to talk and read, and actually get involved in talking to me about growing up.

counterfeitsaint posted:

I wish they would have challenged me more. Make me actually try and achieve something instead of praising my participation award and telling me I'm the smartest special snowflake ever and letting me go play video games all day in my room. It probably wouldn't have worked and it's not really their fault, but who knows?

Also when I said I didn't wanna leave to go to college because I wanted to stay home with all my friends someone should have slapped me.

Same.

How about some direction in life rather than just waiting for the day when you can have another drinking buddy? There's no point praising me and telling me I can do whatever I put my mind to if my mind is blank. And don't then loving tell me in my 20s that I should go to bars to get a better job because I never know who I might meet. (While we're at it please also stop using introvert as a slur) Doesn't matter how much I get along with someone if I don't have worthwhile skills. Not that you would know that; you didn't even know what I studied in university. But don't let stop you from insisting I go to my graduation so you can feel proud.

Plenty of people wish their parents hadnt been so pushy but too far in the other direction is also bad.

I also sometimes wish I had broken ties with my mum as a teenager. Seems cruel to do it now.

mind the walrus posted:

Or at the very least better treatment for it earlier on. If someone had caught my ever-so-slightly atypical autism and took my very early onset depressive symptoms seriously I could have gotten my poo poo together much, much sooner.

Same again I think. My dad paid lip service to taking mental health seriously and insisted I be open with him if I had problems but when I told him that I didn't want to do anything in life he said I should throw myself under a bus.

noether
May 1, 2017

some kinda cutesy shoggoth

Pakistani politics posted:

I would have approached transition at a much earlier age. I think if I had known and told my mother when I was a kid, she would have been just as receptive. I also would have bought Nickelodeon Moon shoes.

yuuuuuup

like if I'd known I was trans when I first started feeling dysphoria around 10 or 11 and been able to socially transition around then, I would've avoided a lot of the abject misery that colored my teen years. plus I'd still get my dad and grandfather hyping up STEM poo poo as a kid cuz they thought I was a boy and science is a thing you hype up to boys

I could just say that I would change things do I was born a cis girl instead, but like, I think I'd be so completely different a person at that point that I'd be unrecognizable

also it'd be cool if my mom had better coping mechanisms and didn't constantly try to use me as her therapist. I'm a mtf, not an mft :downsrim:

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

Ask/tell me about legal cannibalism

I would stop my parents from joining their religion and directed my mom to therapy. I wouldn't have been born, but that's just a plus.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Bigger school so I'd be better at socializing.

Have me take the harder science track instead of goofing off in high school.

Take me to more of the weird poo poo in the city.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Please God, no loving private catholic school.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
tbh i kind of wish that my mom had pressured me more into being girly. it feels good that i grew up believing that being myself was good, but i kind of think life would be easier now if there had been more pressure on me to wear mascara and shave my legs.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Do more stuff in high school. I was in the band and that was my only extracurricular activity besides some random clubs. I'd probably sign up for track since I was always a good runner, and maybe get into drama club.

I didn't have an issue getting into college or anything, and I don't think it's really negatively affected me, but it would have been fun and I might have made some more friends back then.

There were also about a half dozen chubby/goth/Japan freak/super nerdy girls that I blew off as "below my standards" as a kid. I would definitely be way nicer to them since I was a little poo poo and didn't have a real girlfriend until my senior year of high school anyway.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
stood up to my mom that I would rather rip my own head off rather than her send me to that loving Christian school during my formative years. It was a waste of her money and I was never more miserable.

Lacey
Jul 10, 2001

Guess where this lollipop's going?

YeahTubaMike posted:

tbh i kind of wish that my mom had pressured me more into being girly. it feels good that i grew up believing that being myself was good, but i kind of think life would be easier now if there had been more pressure on me to wear mascara and shave my legs.
Conversely, I wish I'd told my mom to back off with the girly poo poo earlier.

I was so desperate for love and attention I went along with it. Why yes I'd love to sit perfectly still while you painfully yank my hair into some complicated updo and then shellac it in place with aerosol poison. Sure I greatly enjoy training myself not to flinch while black goo is smeared on my eyelashes. Yay now my face and hair are weird and I have to make sure I don't mess them up!

She even tried to put in me in those loving pageants. Actually, maybe that was a good thing because it made me finally put my foot down.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

phasmid posted:

drat. Sorry to hear that, sounds like a lose-lose situation.

Oh it's fine, I don't mind a bit of discomfort if it means being able to be productive.

After I finally got diagnosed ADD and tried a few different medications I was able to expand my skill set massively and tripled my salary.

Would have been awesome though to have that when I was in high school, I would have pursued a hard science/engineering career and probably would be senior level by now.

But hey on the bright side, no student loans!

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
maybe either "i wish my dad wasnt an alcoholic". he pawned most of the things we had for his habit. money might have better.

or "i wish my mother didnt molest me". i might be more trusting of people.

no no actually i wish my parents werent both physically or sexually abused, leaving them in the cycle of abuse where they then gently caress up their kids too. the possibilities :allears:

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Nope, too sad

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
I would like to have not grown up poor

That way I didn't have to pretend to be dannys friend just to play his sweet rear end super nintendo

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer
My mom did an amazing job with me. She taught me tolerance and patience, and encouraged my inquisitiveness. She was a little overprotective, but she was abused by her father when she was a kid, so on the whole I can't complain.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Ah hell, who knows where I went wrong. At very least, all my fuckups are my own. I feel for you guys who had lovely family situations. My family was great but I still turned into a nothing-person because I never took any risks.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

my bat mitzvah ROCKED posted:

That way I didn't have to pretend to be dannys friend just to play his sweet rear end super nintendo
We've all had to be Danny's friend at some point. No need to be ashamed.

Diet Poison posted:

Ah hell, who knows where I went wrong. At very least, all my fuckups are my own. I feel for you guys who had lovely family situations. My family was great but I still turned into a nothing-person because I never took any risks.
Don't be so hard on yourself. On-balance my family was pretty drat good but I can still point to areas where they dropped the ball, every bit as much as I did. This is a place to let that out.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
The thing I'm most ashamed of is that I never had sex in high school when girls were literally throwing themselves at any cock that moved. If I could go back I would be a man whore and just sleep with everyone I could instead of being a prude.

noether
May 1, 2017

some kinda cutesy shoggoth

mind the walrus posted:

We've all had to be Danny's friend at some point. No need to be ashamed.

I remember back in middle school, danny's parents got him a wii for cristmas and he knew about it like a month in advance because I guess his folks were open about christmas presents for some loving reason. we used to walk to school together every day cuz we lived pretty close together, and every day for several weeks he would taunt me about the wii that he had but couldn't actually use yet

and then it turned out that my folks had also gotten me a wii for christmas that year but decided to give it to me for my birthday instead (in early december) just to get danny to lay the gently caress off

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

noether posted:

around 10 or 11 and been able to socially transition around then

what an incredibly bad idea oh my god

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Maybe less head injuries? Or at least ones that left more interesting scars.

Also I want my goddamn favourite plush dinosaur back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Probably my bio-dad building a rocketship big enough for 3 people instead of just me.

• Locked thread