Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

mind the walrus posted:

I'd get my parents to stop overpraising me like a puppy they just can't believe is learning to talk and read, and actually get involved in talking to me about growing up.

counterfeitsaint posted:

I wish they would have challenged me more. Make me actually try and achieve something instead of praising my participation award and telling me I'm the smartest special snowflake ever and letting me go play video games all day in my room. It probably wouldn't have worked and it's not really their fault, but who knows?

Also when I said I didn't wanna leave to go to college because I wanted to stay home with all my friends someone should have slapped me.

Same.

How about some direction in life rather than just waiting for the day when you can have another drinking buddy? There's no point praising me and telling me I can do whatever I put my mind to if my mind is blank. And don't then loving tell me in my 20s that I should go to bars to get a better job because I never know who I might meet. (While we're at it please also stop using introvert as a slur) Doesn't matter how much I get along with someone if I don't have worthwhile skills. Not that you would know that; you didn't even know what I studied in university. But don't let stop you from insisting I go to my graduation so you can feel proud.

Plenty of people wish their parents hadnt been so pushy but too far in the other direction is also bad.

I also sometimes wish I had broken ties with my mum as a teenager. Seems cruel to do it now.

mind the walrus posted:

Or at the very least better treatment for it earlier on. If someone had caught my ever-so-slightly atypical autism and took my very early onset depressive symptoms seriously I could have gotten my poo poo together much, much sooner.

Same again I think. My dad paid lip service to taking mental health seriously and insisted I be open with him if I had problems but when I told him that I didn't want to do anything in life he said I should throw myself under a bus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread