Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Meet frustration face to face
A point of view creates more waves
So lose some sleep and say you tried
You've been listening to the wrong punk mate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Wrong tool you need a torch.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
SOMEBODY DOESNT ALLOW ME ACCESS TO OPEN FLAME

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
A NEW CHALLENGER APPROACHES

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
oh my god u poor bb who HURT u like this

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

INCHI DICKARI posted:

On four seperate occasions in three seperate states, yes. And it doesnt matter how relevant a message is if I just flat out do not find it enjoyable to listen to on some level, so, moot point

unironically ironically unironically playing and singing really badly, to own... George Bush, last I checked?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Tremek posted:

Bad Religion
21st Century Digital Boy

Goddamnit Tremek, now I have that stuck in my head. And it'll probably remain stuck there for the next month.

Anti-Flag puts on a better show tho. :colbert: I'd love to see NOFX again at some point too.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Tremek posted:

Edit: TIL Dave doesn't like punk, is unfamiliar with Bad Religion, and claims to have never heard 21st Century Digital Boy. Discuss amongst yourselves.

I fail to see why this needs to be discussed or considered a problem at all.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Fermented Tinal posted:

I fail to see why this needs to be discussed or considered a problem at all.

A crippling lack of self-awareness, that’s why

PS no we didn’t molest the 325’s fenders if that wasn’t already suspiciously debunked.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Tremek posted:

A crippling lack of self-awareness, that’s why

Not liking a genre and not understanding it are two different things.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Fermented Tinal posted:

Not liking a genre and not understanding it are two different things.

Sigh, has nothing to do with liking the genre, go listen to the song, but what was my tongue in cheek response to you is kinda being borne out here. Ps xoxo IRC buddy

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Kinda surprised that dave is into thrash metal and not punk, the two pretty much go hand in hand.

Without the Stooges and Black Flag bands like Slayer wouldn't even exisist.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Kinda surprised that dave is into thrash metal and not punk, the two pretty much go hand in hand.

And Dead Kennedys. And Wendy O. Williams / Plasmatics. That chick was hard loving core before chicks were hard loving core. And then there's GG Allin, who was on an entirely different level.

Edit: Youtube has the full versions deleted, but look up Maggots: The Record by the Plasmatics. It's seminal punk/thrash and holds up loving great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D91Z7KBYBtU

As the maggots take over the world because of a global catastrophe caused by global warming, they sing:

"All you do is gently caress and eat
That's what we do too
Tough for you 'cause you're our meat
But we don't make the rules
Not only will we drink your blood
We're gonna suck your head
There isn't much to think about
'Cause soon you will be dead "

1987 never sounded so good.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jul 30, 2018

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Its almost like my repeat insisting I have terrible memories tied up in people who lived breathed and died punk to the point it was literally the only defining personaliy trait they had makes it so I really do not find it pleasant to listen to, nor want to get into because of all the past trauma dont have anything to do with why I dont want to listen to that kind of music

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Honestly, considering how many times a day I get told whatever it is I happen to be enjoying at that moment is objectively terrible and I need to stop trying so hard, that's not even the frustrating part at this point in the discussion. I am aware I enjoy things a vast majority of people around me do not, I just neither care that they hate it nor waste time trying to find a way to convince them they actually dont hate whatever that thing is. Like, gently caress, the fact I just keep saying i cant get into the sound at all doesnt mean just keep hammering away at it.

I think Tremek's real issue is believing me when I say without a shred of irony I fukken love me the poo poo out of pretty much all Nu Metal and I dont care if its not high class art or if its objectively bad, I like listening to it.

I also like the transformers movies because ky one and only expectation for anything about them was giant robots and poo poo blowing up, which is apparently like making GBS threads yourself in church

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It's OK It's not that you're special in this regard, the internet can't help but hammer the poo poo out of anyone who doesn't like thing that we like, or likes thing that we don't like. It's just that this thread is all about you so, you get to be the subject of that.

I don't like punk either, much, although I can appreciate what it accomplished musically and politically. I also don't like anime, but admit that in the wrong place and people just won't fuckin' shut up about how if you just tried the right ones you'd love it I promise etc. etc. etc. no look guys there is so much available entertainment in this world that no matter what genres or subgenres I like I will never ever run out of new options to enjoy so I really am not missing out on life.

You can happily live the rest of your life without getting into punk and that is OK and tell Tremek that you appreciate him wanting to share something with you but maybe you can bond over something else.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

INCHI DICKARI posted:

I also like the transformers movies because ky one and only expectation for anything about them was giant robots and poo poo blowing up, which is apparently like making GBS threads yourself in church

I mean, for real. I went into the first one expecting two hours of robots blowing poo poo up and I got three hours. That's entertainment value right there. Also, the latest one had some King Arthur looking poo poo going on, which looked neat but I've not seen yet.

Also, punk sucks. Sorry.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I get it man, trust me. I hate country for all the same reasons.

I just pegged you for a punk fan because you like thrash is all. Lotta people hate punk, especially my wife :v:

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

To be clear Dave and I haven't talked about music in person in over a day now.

PS if there's anything we're bonding over, it's the liquid gasket-maker on all surfaces in the garage. I kid. Kind of. Mostly.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
It has a name you know. Its even literally called The Right Stuff, because self replicating nanites individually seek out anything that could ever leak anything, and stop that from leaking ever again.

Genie's outta that bottle now, it'd be too late to shut down even if I had the capability to do so. I have coated myself head to toe in a 3:3:1 solution of blue axle grease, silver antiseize, and copper antiseize with a splash of MEK for flavor. I advise you all to do the same.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009

INCHI DICKARI posted:

Its almost like my repeat insisting I have terrible memories tied up in people who lived breathed and died punk to the point it was literally the only defining personaliy trait they had makes it so I really do not find it pleasant to listen to, nor want to get into because of all the past trauma dont have anything to do with why I dont want to listen to that kind of music

Sorta like me and star wars... I just couldn't give a gently caress anymore due to one raving nut in my life that just ruined it.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

INCHI DICKARI posted:

3:3:1 solution of blue axle grease, silver antiseize, and copper antiseize with a splash of MEK for flavor.

I know this is supposed to read 3 : 3 : 1 but I can't help but enjoy "Bawwwww!" as the appropriate ratio of antisieze.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

INCHI DICKARI posted:

It has a name you know. Its even literally called The Right Stuff

Permatex, like CRC, makes great products.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Anything that can seal a rear diff plate in fifteen minutes that thoroughly, when you gave (best case scenario) a single spray and wipe after a second pass with the razor, is not loving around. It HAS to be repurposed from secret stolen Nazi formulas if each can doesnt turn out to be actual prepackaged deals with the Devil. Absolutely no other options. Only time will tell exactly how much blood is on my hands for choosing to continue using something so terrifying and so powerful at every chance I got.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
If its so good at sealing how come it still sprays out the can instead of sealing it shut from the inside?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

QuarkMartial posted:

If its so good at sealing how come it still sprays out the can instead of sealing it shut from the inside?

The can is lined with The Wrong Stuff.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Whatever you do, don’t mix The Right Stuff with The Wrong Stuff in open air. You may be thinking “But Proteus Jones perpetual energy!”, and it will seem like a free energy bonanza. Until it collapses into a naked singularity and comsumes everything in a mile radius before it falls apart and evaporates.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I really resent the notion that you're not allowed to like x without also liking the so called progenitor of x.

Thrash metal and punk/hardcore may have common roots, and even seem similar to people who aren't intimately familiar with the musical nuances and scene politics etc of either - but they're vastly different in a number of ways, and Doom (which from what I can tell is Dave's preferred jam anyway) is significantly removed yet again. Yeah, you got crossover bands like Municipal Waste and those mentioned up thread, and there's a huge convergence (hah) between 80s hardcore bands and 90s proto-thrash/melodic death/thrash bands out of Europe too - but that by no means forces someone to like both. I don't really dig hardcore, despite being heavily influenced by it in the early years, because melodic death and doom metal are much more my jams. Add the very obvious association issues there and yeah, it's pretty clear why.

80s/90s punk dudes just seem really self-righteous about theirs being the pinnacle of the artform for some reason I don't think I'll ever get.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

INCHI DICKARI posted:

I think Tremek's real issue is believing me when I say without a shred of irony I fukken love me the poo poo out of pretty much all Nu Metal and I dont care if its not high class art or if its objectively bad, I like listening to it.

Nu metal got me into a lot of other harder metal, and I also unironically love nu metal even if I know that the vast majority of it is garbage. I also have a soft spot for a lot of pop music circa 90s-early 00s.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Meet frustration face to face
A point of view creates more waves
So lose some sleep and say you tried

Don Dongington posted:

80s/90s punk dudes just seem really self-righteous about theirs being the pinnacle of the artform for some reason I don't think I'll ever get.

Yeah I don't get this either. In the UK at least the modern punk scene is incredible, progressive and it's happening now, not 25 years ago. They're basically listening to our generations dadrock.

Aquatic Daredevil
May 17, 2009

:fap:take that robo-juice

Proteus Jones posted:

Whatever you do, don’t mix The Right Stuff with The Wrong Stuff in open air.

:ohdear:

Wikipedia posted:

Another of T-Stoff's many uses was to be combined as the oxidizer, with C-Stoff (methanol-hydrazine-water mixture) as the fuel, in the bipropellant Walter HWK 109-509 engine of the Messerschmitt Me 163 ........ because T-Stoff and C-Stoff are hypergolic propellants, they spontaneously ignite when mixed at normal temperatures. Even slight contamination between the T-Stoff oxidizer and the C-Stoff fuel was likely to cause an explosion.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Tremek posted:

Sigh, has nothing to do with liking the genre, go listen to the song, but what was my tongue in cheek response to you is kinda being borne out here. Ps xoxo IRC buddy

Some jerk set the channel to registered nicks only. :smith:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

It is, of course, extremely toxic, but that’s the least of the problem. It is hypergolic with every known fuel, and so rapidly hypergolic that no ignition delay has ever been measured. It is also hypergolic with such things as cloth, wood, and test engineers, not to mention asbestos, sand, and water-with which it reacts explosively.

:ohdear:

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Fermented Tinal posted:

Some jerk set the channel to registered nicks only. :smith:

Massive amounts of spammers joining the channel recently. Just re-register?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
You should be registered anyway, so you can get a cool vhost.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Don Dongington posted:

More an influence then an art form.....Considering punk as an art form is pretty funny actually.

I'm just going by numerous interviews with bands from the beginning of thrash (Slayer, Anthrax, Metallica, etc) almost all of them site punk as a major influence. Most notably Dave Lombardo (drummer) of Slayer who said his style was specifically modeled after the speed of punk. They just made it faster and (much) better. Metallica cited the Stooges as a huge influence, and Antrax was a punk cover band when they started.

I'm not trying to sit here and say punk is some sort of superior genre because it's not, but you can't deny the influence it had on the metal bands after it.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I have the willpower to have $950 in cash on me and go window shopping motorcycles alone and walk away if need be, for I am a reasonable man.
Now that I successfully heard the click of a hammer landing on an empty chamber once, its time to look into bike #2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

INCHI DICKARI posted:

I also said anybody that identifies with punk stylistically or politically are across the board garbage trash gently caress up insults to humanity.

Anyone that unironically listens to Fred Durst in this day and age has no right to judge anyone's musical tastes.

• Locked thread