Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

jesus WEP posted:

my two cents is that in wrestling how much something would actually really hurt is less important that how much it immediately looks like it would hurt, and mic shots never look like they should put someone down

Agreed. And if the problem with mic shots is they always look weak but always hurt like hell, they shouldn't be doing them; that's exactly the opposite of the look-to-pain ratio you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Also a big fan of:

Bryan: Filthy Tom is above Hiroshi Tanahashi in the PWI 500.
Dave: .................................. you know, I like Tom........................................

I haven't listened to WOR in forever, but I really enjoyed Dave going from "I don't know why we're talking about the PWI 500, nobody cares" to "well, I shouldn't say that, some people really care" to flipping out about Tanahashi's placement.

"Can you name 62 pro wrestlers IN HISTORY, let alone this year, better than Tanahashi? You could not."
"If I start reading these names, you're going to get mad. No offense to anybody."
"OK, well, then, get me mad. He's behind Braun Strowman?!"
"He's actually – Braun Strowman is like 30 places above him."
"Braun Strowman got frickin' fired! That's how good Braun Strowman is!"

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

Dave knows it's mainly about kayfabe accomplishments right?

Not only does he know, he explicitly called it out a couple minutes before that to talk about how he understands most of the top placements.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

And Bryan Alvarez World's Whitest Latinx Man strikes again.

"'That's racist?' I'm a Mexican!"

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Just started WOR and Bryan absolutely REFUSED to let Dave open by talking about Raw instead of the AEW ratings story :lol:

It's fantastic, because Bryan gets Dave on the ratings story, and then completely shuts up and lets Dave go purestrain Dave about the ratings and the failures of WWE for twenty minutes. I don't think Bryan interrupts him once.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

The second guy is Okada, presumably? At the moment I don't even have a half-decent guess as to who might be "totally shocking but also deserved."

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Raskolnikov38 posted:

tho i think this sequence is my favorite nl moment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzRbUfmK9uE&t=944s

The noise Johnny makes when he finds the swimsuits is the most amazing noise I've never heard any other human being make.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Really, the draw for me on WOR and B&V this week is just how much Bryan loved Yuta vs. Mox, which is nearly as much as he hates Yuta's tights.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

I need a loving hard cam of Bryan's face here

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Was it Dave's brother or his brother-in-law who just burst into Dave's house one night at 3am in the morning during a WOR? Like Dave is talking and you hear all this noise and Dave just matter-of-factly goes,"Hang on I think somebody is breaking in..." and disappears for half a minute, then comes back and just picks up where he left off until Bryan demands to know what happened and he goes,"Oh it was just my brother coming around to say hello."?

Someone please have a link to this.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

SalTheBard posted:

Is there a podcast that reviews the worst wrestling matches ever? Specifically I was thinking "every match that has a negative or 1 star rating" by Dave Meltzer?

Not that I'm aware of, and I think you'd have a hard time making it interesting. A lot of the matches Dave gave negative stars to, he did because they're phenomenally boring; others are negative because they're absurdly short. How do you make Toru Yano vs. Jado interesting for a podcast audience? How do you even review Oz vs. Tim Parker, a twenty-six-second squash Dave apparently gave -*** to?

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

Believe it or not people remember things from a month ago and it being in the past doesn't make it not nonsensical. Lance's idea is bad but not worse than what actually happened

What? It's significantly worse than what actually happened.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

https://twitter.com/TheDonCallis/status/1609023967251124224

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Doesn't look like it.

https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/1611118944760520704

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

dodgeblan posted:

Dr Meltzhattan reacts to CM Punk press conference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvI-AXsh1LI

jesus christ lmao

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

History Comes Inside! posted:

He’s not though and nobody should give a gently caress what the guy who invented it says, he’s a computer toucher not a linguist

He is correct and many linguists agree.

If your argument is "'graphics' has a hard g," do you also pronounce ISIS as "iss-eass?"

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Gumball Gumption posted:

Wrestlers shouldn't take it too personally when so much of what goes into a five star match are external factors like the crowd. I think there are a lot of 4.5 and 4.75 matches that were dragged down entirely by the external bullshit of WWE.

Also, Angle's career suffers in Meltzer's ratings because Angle was at his peak in the years when Meltzer largely gave up on wrestling and focused on MMA. He gave Angle/Undertaker 4, Angle/Michaels at Wrestlemania 4.75 (and at Vengeance, 4.5), Angle/Guerrero at Summerslam 3.75, Angle/Lesnar 4.25 and Angle/Rock 4.25. But he just wasn't giving out as many 5s during that period as he "normally" does:

If they'd come a little earlier or quite a bit later, at least the Michaels matches would almost certainly have gotten 5 stars.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

MassRafTer posted:

Meltzer never largely gave up on wrestling.

OK, fair, but he certainly had a lesser opinion of it during that decade than he did outside of it (and I'm not saying he was wrong to do so!).

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

MassRafTer posted:

He was almost ready to give up doing the Observer after Wrestlemania 1.

Yeah, I really enjoy this fact. RIP the Observer!

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

flashy_mcflash posted:

I've seen this before, but what did the issue immediately following this look like? How did he justify walking this back?

He says in that issue that he's going to continue doing shorter newsletters "every few weeks" with short updates and less analysis, and if you have outstanding Observers on your subscription you'll get those until your sub is up. I suspect there was no "walking back," he just kept sending out those newsletters and (not so) gradually added back in more of the analysis and stories until it looked the same as the Observer used to.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Yeah, I can't recommend Tights and Fights to anyone. You'd honestly learn more and have a better experience listening to a speech-to-text version of the YouTube comments under a random WWE video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

hell of a way to learn that Dan Rodimer is accused of murder