Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

remusclaw posted:

For the sake of sheer selfishness, I want Bryan to leave the WWE. On the matter of his health, it's a mixed bag, Indy/New Japan tend toward a style tougher on the body, WWE on the other hand tend toward unnecessary gimmick matches and ridiculous schedules. For all the issues I have with their booking, I really don't want to see Daniel Bryan in the Money in the Bank.

The style is tougher but someone like Bryan can set his own schedule and work when he feels healthy to. It'd be less dates without the house show grind of WWE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

The XFL puts them in a position that might keep Vince from burning everything down.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

At this point I'm just annoyed at both sides. I feel like it was obvious Dave was trying to comment on her surgery and is too much of a weirdo to not just say it and instead said something way worse. I also feel like a lot of the outcry is genuine or at least missing the real point. Most of what I've seen is people saying that you can't call Peyton unattractive because actually she's very attractive and look at these photos of how attractive she is. It's kind of missing the point that "attractiveness" just shouldn't be a part of the equation.

Also forget Saudi Arabia, remember all the times WWE has called Mickie James fat and old in her current run?

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, I don't know if his own eyeballs is a source.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Also Alvaraz has dodged a hell of a bullet here by being a flunky.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

The more I think of this the grumpier I get about the faux outrage from WWE. It feels a bit tinfoil hat to say all of the tweets from wrestlers is manufactured but either way they feel really hollow when WWE is a company who in recent history has called Mickie James fat, ugly and old. They've called Nia Jax fat and did that awful bullying angle. They've called Ruby Riott ugly and weird. They make all of the women wear long hair or extensions. I'm just surprised at how many people I've seen on twitter who'll suddenly carry water for WWE because Dave said something lovely when it really feels like they're both real bad.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Oh boy, I missed that one. Looks like an SEO wrote it

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

The real killer is that the pre-show match was one of the best matches that night.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Listening to the All In episode and it has a peak Dave moment when they discuss how fun the weekend is. "I've had more fun this weekend then any weekend this year. Welllll maybe I had more fun with my kids one weekend."

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

So you think the access journalists doing puff pieces on the latest movies and tv shows get into fights the way their wrestling counterparts do?

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Cavauro posted:

has anyone listened to tights and fights? i like mike eagle as a dude but i don't listen to any wrestling poo poo.

They're nice and cute and I like everyone on it but its pretty empty of substance. It's mostly just a casual fan podcast about WWE. There is something nice about people finding good in the WWE product but they don't really have any critical thoughts on wrestling.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

DangerDummy! posted:

I liked it for awhile. Mike Eagle is the most knowledgeable and insightful the group, but he's not around half the time. Danielle is cool, but she has a few verbal tics that are positively obnoxious. I'm a Hal Lublin fan in general, but I don't think he adds too much here.

They're all nice people having a mostly pleasant conversation about wrestling. It's fine background noise. I don't subscribe anymore, but when I did I skipped the episodes without Mike Eagle.

I went on the JoCo cruise this year and Mike Eagle complimented my Hiromu shirt. That's my Mike Eagle story.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Bad stuff creates more content. There are only so many ways you can sit there and say "this njpw match was great because they're all great." and stay entertaining. It is far easier to tear apart all of the terrible decisions that wwe makes.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Has anyone at WWE tweeted about Bryan Alvarez's actually kind of lovely comments on Ronda's makeup or are they done pretending they care about women?

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Its bad but being puzzled as to why she isn't coming out in makeup that makes her more attractive is dumb too.

She should be having them do full face mask paint like Finn or Golddust if she wants to do intimidating makeup.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

My two favorite things have somehow joined forces. Feels weird.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

My favorite thing about dave is that if he said this out loud it would be impossible to tell if it was snark or his autistic tendencies.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

VJeff posted:

I think Dave came very close to bringing up the Saudi government killing a journalist on WOR and then barely stopped himself.

Yeah, he seemed real close to it. I wish he had. Crown Jewel feels like the normalization is setting in and people now just accept that WWE does propoganda for rich Saudi princes.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

https://twitter.com/RealKevinNash/status/1052554299207749632

Seems like Kevin Nash has suddenly become a mouth piece for something. I wonder why.

https://twitter.com/WWE/status/1052575065404055553

Oh there we go.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Your Parents posted:

He literally just blamed Saudi Arabia for 9/11.

And then said that they shouldn't be punished and instead be pushed to progress (do a wrestling show in). Not really a scathing take.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

He was a journalist and sports writer before The Wrestling Observer but the Observer was pretty much born out of him being an autistic level fan.

Edit: it also feels like some gatekeeping to say that you can never become a legit journalist with the start of "being a fan who takes photos and writes stories". It's harder but it feels like a viable path if you put in the work and produce quality content.

Gumball Gumption fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Oct 30, 2018

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Honestly I'm more interested in their next podcast idea if its going to be about wrestling and politics.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I didn't listen to the episode but their Twitter implied they don't want to be involved with anything that might support WWE.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

This just reminds me how NXT made me miss La Sombra and the main roster then made me miss Andrade Cien Almas.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Dave and Bryan always have a weird energy to me, like they're one wrong comment away from a fist fight. I know they're not but its something about how Bryan can only yell and how frustrated he gets when Dave breaks and stops recognizing hyperbole. I just get really tense everytime there is some variation of Bryan saying "He was killed out there" when someone doesn't get over and Dave just talks about how the man is still alive and no one actually died.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

At this point it feels like Rovert is intentionally getting sixers so that he can go take a nap because his brain is too broken to just log off.

Also are there any good English fan podcasts about NJPW or the Japanese scene in general? I've been getting into Pacific Rim but I'm curious what else is out there.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I'll check the stuff out. I've been finding it tough to find things that are not just WWE focused. Thanks!

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

yea ok posted:

Hey I know he got probated for 3 days but this has always been the de facto observer thread as well, discussing dave and how he's fallen off or not as a scoops man has been in here for years. Sorry you don't like big Trev but it's his phrasing and attitude that gets him in trouble, not his content. Nice podcast you posted btw you little freak!

To be fair I do like vague post scoops Rovert over the Rovert who wants everyone to give the nazi wrestlers a 2nd chance.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

Meltzer spending like 5 minutes of his podcast bitching endlessly about how horribly tasteless the Baron Corbin promo was is something alright. It was a 30 second promo that consisted of Charley Caruso absolutely burying Corbin for being a loving moron. Its even weirder because it looked very much like the angle being set up is Roman beating the poo poo out of Drew/Corbin/Lashley at the same time at Fastlane, and probably Roman beating the poo poo out of Ambrose at WrestleMania (in a short brawl where they shake hands and reunite at the end).

The segment was tasteless and sucked in what was an otherwise decent RAW and you should be charging Dave for the space he's renting in your head.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

You're missing Dave's point and the reason that it was tasteless. Its not that Baron said a bunch of stuff about Roman Reign's cancer and then got clowned for it so its all cool. Its tasteless because WWE is using the real cancer that the real person Joe Anoaʻi has and turning it into a lame story for their show. They're trying to make money off of a loyal employee's misfortune. Its really gross.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

Oh my God you guys weren't kidding about the Ricky Steamboat chat.

Oh my God,"You should show her tapes of Ricky Steamboat!" :lol:

Vince: Roman's cancer affected me, Vince McMahon, and thus is actually a real thing now.

I died at Dave not really wrapping his head around the idea that his daughter wouldn't start watching wrestling.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Punk was also the one who convinced Cabana to fight this. Cabana was going to pull the podcast after WWE sent a cease and desist and Punk convinced him by saying he was covered for legal fees

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, which they then won. Punk is kind of a piece of poo poo in the way he treats his friends.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Dave: "Was Shawn Michael's blasphemous during his career?"
Bryan: "Yeah, he kinda was."

Was a great exchange

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Good point. Dave, like the rest of society, has become better about the way he treats women but could still do better.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Dave has also repeatedly gone over the different possible treatments as a way to explain how Roman could come back so quick and to disprove Roman truthers. Dave has been helping.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, it's an enormous story. If you don't want to listen to it, and I don't blame you if you don't, they have time stamps of everything.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

SatoshiMiwa posted:

You just need to compare the Ibushi/Ospreay spot in the December tag and how New Japan filmed it to the recent NXT version of the spot to see just how awful the camera work is. Both spots are impressive but the New Japan camera work is just so good

Yeah, the NXT one was good but the wrestlers and the camera work missed what made that spot amazing. It didn't have the dramatic irony that Ibushi and Ospreay had.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

rovert posted:

Let me sheepishly say I am with Grimace. Don't know why Meltzer has taken the tact he has about the match when it is pretty transparent that Angle/Cena was always the plan. Angle was Cena's first main roster opponent. And now so many people have been paired with others - Rey vs Samoa Joe for example. The process of elimination has taken effect.

Would like to think Meltzer was told but was told not to spoil it or something.

I hope you're wrong if only because "We announced a fake match with Baron Corbin because Corbin sucks poo poo and now everyone will be happy with Cena" is a really awful thing to do to Corbin. Wrestling needs jobbers, wrestling needs heels to be hated, it doesn't need WWE specifically trying to get someone go away heat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

TL posted:

That’s my take on it. I was there, had a lot of fun, but I was anticipating an all-time classic show and got a very good show that was way too long. Plus, the gulf in the strength of the two rosters was apparent-NJPW’s is much better than ROH’s and I’d much rather have seen an 3 hour NJPW show than what we got.

I have not listened to Dave yet but it's incredible the platform RoH had and wasted. It's a historic moment, WrestleMania weekend, and you've got tons of new eyes on you and that's what they booked for themselves. The only decent RoH match was the ladder match and it wasn't amazing. Everything else felt like their regular show. Also everything they did was overshadowed by a worked shoot with Enzo "consensual penis" Amore. They wildly blew their shot.