Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Punch McLightning posted:

Ah, the return of G1 math.

Edit: Dave insisting the arcade bump was a comedy spot, what

Well they’re self-described comedy backyard wrestlers so technically everything they do is a comedy spot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

blast0rama posted:

I haven’t had that issue and I’ve been using this community provided workaround for getting the podcasts in Apple Podcasts.

Might help?

https://f4wonline.craigmcd.com/

This is a game changer, holy poo poo.

Also works with Overcast if you’re not an Apple Podcasts guy.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Incessant Excess posted:

Does this make it work with apps that only support password protected feeds and not password protected files, like Pocketcasts?

It seems to work with anything that just lets you plug in a URL.

Overcast has a separate section to input passwords for feeds and I didn’t need to use it since it was included in the URL.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Price Check posted:

There's a hint in this episode - It ties in with the drop that Bryan really doesn't want to hear.

Or you could just say what it is?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

It’s been a long loving time but didn’t the DDP/Undertaker thing predate Benoit by a few years?

If so it seems like it’s an unfortunate but otherwise unremarkable coincidence rather than the world’s most thoughtless and disgusting reference.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

My wife thought Kenny was being a good sport after the match.

Am I married to Dave Meltzer?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Wezlar posted:

I thought the Anna Jay Unrestricted was kind of boring. She hasn't really been in the buisiness long enough to have any interesting stories and they don't really go very in depth about anything she has done or is doing in AEW.

It was better than the Jade Cargill one that I thought was boring as poo poo for exactly the same reasons except even more.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Most importantly, it’s nobody’s loving business if the dude got divorced, married a second partner or joined some kind of sex cult polycule.

What a weird thing to even speculate over.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

ToiletofSadness posted:

Any overcast users having problems downloading the F4W/WO podcasts recently?

At first I thought it was because I forgot to update my subscriptions with my new password. However, I've updated all my information and the podcasts still fail to download.

Wondering if they made some technical changes that broke overcast. Checking to see if anyone else has the same experience before contacting tech support.

I use the link generated by https://f4wonline.craigmcd.com/ with Overcast.

I had to go and get a new link after they got everyone to change their f4wonline passwords a week or two ago following a data breach and I noticed that where the tool used to just spit out a link with your username and password in plaintext it’s now obfuscated somehow, so maybe it’s that?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I had to look up the raw main event out of morbid curiosity after listening today and holy loving lol what an absolute shitshow

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Benne posted:

... do you not know where Twilight is set

To be fair aboriginal just means the people who were in a place originally. It’s just most commonly heard when referring to Aboriginal Australians.

That said it’s a silly take, bix clearly refers to the fact that twilight werewolves are all clean shaven kind of but not quite in shape guys who are very non threatening looking (Bo Dallas) and true blood werewolves are all rugged and beardy and would absolutely try to steal your girlfriend (Roman Reigns).

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

jesus WEP posted:

I’ve never seen the TV show of that because the movie was so good and I don’t want to spoil it

The tv show is fantastic and doesn’t ruin the movie in any way, shape, or form.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

Canonically, they are $100.

Yeah but Christmas only comes once a year. I guess he might get another card from Grandma on his birthday but the other 10 months of the year he has to use his allowance.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Memnaelar posted:

So, how's the value of a WON/F4W subscription? I've been considering subscribing for a few months as I enjoy all of the free clips on Youtube, but I'm not sure if the additional content is worthwhile given the high volume of what's already out there for free. Their site also does a piss-poor job of selling the product as, well, it looks like a site I could have tossed together 15 or 20 years ago. The subscription page doesn't even tout the perks - it just gives you the lump-sum payout to subscribe which, frankly, is a lot to pay sight unseen.

Any subscribers out there want to give me a better pitch than Bryan or Dave seem to be willing to provide?

I subscribed finally this year because WFH expanded my need for podcast hours in the day and I’ve enjoyed it so much I’m keeping it even when I go back to the office.

WOR and WOL alone are worth it imho.

If you’re not a podcast person though don’t bother.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Memnaelar posted:

I'm definitely a podcast guy - almost too many between various forms of entertainment and sports, but I'm finding some of my interest in the NBA and movie podcasts I listen to winding down a bit recently and am thinking I wouldn't mind replacing those minutes with listening to Bryan and Dave banter at each other, which Youtube has shown me is a pretty enjoyable thing. Mostly just interested for AEW content but I've dug a few of the WWE rewatch segments besides.

I may just break down and give it a go for three months and see where we're at after that. If nothing else, all the free Youtube clips I've already watched have been worth $33.

AEW content is the stuff I pay most attention to since I’m watching that weekly but Bryan getting angry about how lovely WWE is always makes listening to that part of the recap worth it too.

Just sub for one month I guess and see how you like it. WOR, WOL and FFD whenever they have Lance Storm on are my must-listens and I dip in and out of other stuff if the description looks interesting.

Also worth noting is there’s a tool somewhere ITT that will generate an RSS URL for you to put into a podcast app instead of having to play them on the website like some kind of rear end in a top hat.

Edit: the RSS thing

https://f4wradio.craigmcd.com

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Mar 3, 2021

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

The kayfabe ones are all awful, but the mixed ones work when you can tell they’re treating kayfabe as more of a light hearted wink-nudge thing rather than actually pretending it’s legit.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Big Bidness posted:

There’s an AIW podcast where MJF is out of character and you can tell he’s super nervous about it. Hearing him be humble and polite is like seeing a luchador unmasked.

Which also use to happen at AIW after parties. You’d see MJF being a human and Laredo Kid without a mask. I don’t like either of those things.

There’s an MJF shoot out there with Ethan Page which will completely destroy the illusion if you watch it but it’s so loving funny that it’s worth it.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Raskolnikov38 posted:

today’s deadlock ruled and they had a pretty good solution to the explosion dud(pre-tape the explosion and then evac the crowd with 2 mins left on the clock) I felt

This is an extremely poo poo idea because it would take way more than 2 minutes to empty that arena even at the capacity it’s at, plus there’s a pandemic going on so herding everyone together to leave the building for a pretaped gimmick is an even more poo poo idea than having the fans there in the first place already is.

You’d also have a ton of people thinking the evacuation notice was a bit and refusing to budge because who doesn’t want to wait and see the cool explosion they were essentially promised.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

JOHN CENA posted:

people who watch wrestling to watch good matches generally. but wrestling is subjective

Then why is anyone at all watching RAW for the last half a decade

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

smikey posted:

He and Jericho both accurately describe it as juvenile bullying, but they were giggling as they did it.

Because all wrestlers from their era were juvenile bullies.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Gonzo McFee posted:

I always enjoyed that Vince used to always tell Meltzer that WCW were ruining the Giant and that only Vince knew how to book giants and if Vince ever got his hands on him he'd be a mega star and then when he finally got the Giant he debuted by throwing Austin out of a cage and accidentally giving Austin the victory like a dipshit.

This was actually cool as gently caress though, because Austin getting one over on Vince any way he could through increasingly inventive means was basically the only reason to watch for lengthy periods of the attitude era.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

HPJoker posted:

Bryan’s insistence on reviewing stuff only on the Network has be dropping B&V until further notice. There’s so much great poo poo on the NIPW archives, or on YouTube, or on DDT’s service. A minuscule amount of people actually keep up with the retro content as they’re going along. Just talk about classic All Japan.

Eh, people are more familiar with retro stuff from the network than they are with any of the other stuff and I’d bet a ton more people listen to it for the nostalgia hit and a modern lens on things they already know/might be reminded of than listen to it because they really give a poo poo what was happening on those old shows.

FWIW I usually just listen to granny’s segments because they’re always funny and then dump the rest of the episode because I don’t give a poo poo either.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Pylons posted:

It's still pretty bad, but AFAICT he's referring to what Bad Bunny said in an earlier promo which was something like "Do you know where we're from?!"

It sounded like this to me, he goes on to say he expected the line in the promo to be paid off somehow in a set up for the baby face to get one over on the heel by outsmarting them in some way but the heels just drove off.

Probably more of a speaking without fully forming the thought you’re trying to convey moment than a Racist Dave Meltzer moment but not a great look either way.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Yeah on WOR if I remember rightly Dave literally said it couldn’t be called a “great” documentary because it completely glossed past all of Austin’s legal troubles, so it’s not like they just gave it a pass.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

a cyborg mug posted:

It's only kind of vaguely related but I think it's a bit funny when Meltzer reports something that he heard from a source and then the people in question reply all "wow Meltzer at it again spreading lies about me". Ok, well, why don't you tell him the real story, then? Then he doesn't have to rely on second-hand information that might be incorrect. Meltzer does tend to admit he's wrong when he's proven to be wrong (unless I'm wrong about that lol). Why does this business have to be so secretive all the time

Because the real story might be none of his business, so he’s not owed it and she doesn’t have to say anything to anybody she doesn’t want to.

Just because you report in a field doesn’t mean you’re automatically entitled to every piece of information about the private lives of everyone in that field, particularly when they’re ultimately nothing more than gossip-rag tier mundanities.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

HerraS posted:

Brock you fools

Brock said a bunch of homophobic poo poo so should be disqualified on that basis, what we want is someone who got in and got out while also not being a piece of poo poo.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

karmicknight posted:

I have some incredibly bad news for you, terrible monsters can be the wrestler that "does well, makes his money and then retires happily ever after with his wife"

Yeah no poo poo but it would be nice to focus on the ones who did it without being pieces of poo poo, like I said.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

RBX posted:

Did they take old episodes off the network or something? Why can't they review old shows?

They didn’t just go 1:1 to peacock there’s a ton of stuff missing, and people in the US can’t access the vanilla network anymore.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Edit: beaten

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I very very rarely listen to WOR without Bryan and only then if the blurb for the episode suggests Dave going to talk about something I really want to know about, and I guess that habit will continue.

If Bryan had his own network for audio only feeds of WOL/FFD/B&V stuff I’d switch.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I haven’t had a chance to listen yet, has Ezra Judge ever done anything in the ring or is everyone just super psyched on the fact he’s a protein elemental?

I tried googling him but couldn’t find any matches.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Hasn’t Bea Priestley just signed/rumoured to have signed?

Makes sense he’d want out of Japan to follow her in that case. Also there’s no way in hell WWE lets/wants him to work his neck destroying style so it might add a few years to his career.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

As much of a moron as he is, if I had his neck I also wouldn’t want to be anywhere near NJPW and would rather get 6 figures to sit in catering and never do a flip again.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

MJeff posted:

Okay? The point is, everybody reported that she was returning and she returned and so far, everybody, including End himself, is reporting that he's not returning to WWE and he is probably ending up in AEW.

You can say whatever you want about how controversial either one was, End has not, at any point expressed any interest in returning and has, in fact, only expressed interest in the opposite.

https://twitter.com/TommyEnd/status/1400269420149227525

It's hard to get clearer than that.

No wrestler has ever lied before and I can’t imagine any of them would start now.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

mrbasehart posted:

Jarrett appeared at my local indy a few years back. He was plastered, but having a great old time doing his song and interacting with the fans. Then he did an angle in the ring, threw the best worked punches and kicks I've seen in person and did his song a second time.

He came and did a “general manager for the night” gimmick at my local indie, and ended the show by breaking a guitar over the heel’s head and singing his song.

Jeff Jarrett was always good.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

He looks like an alternate universe CM Punk who just stopped doing anything remotely physical when he walked out of the WWE.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I want to hear Granny do WOR with Dave

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

She can buy him a bray wyatt cameo on his 91st birthday

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

He just means he literally wants glossier, more reflective wrestlers.

He’s going to make Shida come out and wrestle in that mirror suit from her tonytron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

dsriggs posted:

That was from a backstage skit where Tajiri was talking to Steve Austin in Japanese for a minute or so before Austin replied "Hmmm... You're a wise man, Tie Jiri..."

It’s such a well known segment I’m surprised there’s anyone who doesn’t recognise it, my friends still say it whenever someone gives someone else advice.