Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I'm so loving pissed about the LAW right now. I loved all of those shows so much. I don't really know what I'm going to listen to anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

exploded mummy posted:

Have you considered reading the OP

I'm aware of the wide range of Wrestling podcasts that exist. I've given many of them a try, I really love the LAW family of podcasts more than anything.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
I wish they would've at least waited until after the Best Of / Worst Of show to cancel it.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
What do you all think of Prichards show? I always feel like these shows with actual wrestlers can be so corny because I feel like people just loving lie our accuse others of lying. I feel like Prichard is at least being somewhat truthful though.

SalTheBard fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Nov 13, 2017

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

DrVenkman posted:

He's also very hesitant to step on anyone in WWE who might still give him a job

As long as you recognise when he's ducking from the truth then it's all good.

I noticed that in the Bret Hart episode when discussing HHH / HBK.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Wow that's awesome

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
O I thought that was Mike Elgin

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
I'm listening to Something to Wrestle With - WM 9. The discussion between Conrad and Bruce about Hogan being champ for the European tour has me in tears from laughing.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Jason Sextro posted:

That match where Hart assaults McMahon with a chair until the heat death of the universe was a WrestleMania match? :negative:

Yep!

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
I stopped watching WWF when I joined the Military in November of 2000, then I picked up again around the Matt Hardy / Edge / Lita time. I feel like I missed so much (Lesnars first run, Bikertaker, Smackdown 6, Kurt Angle in his Prime, Invasion, etc) but at the same time I don't regret not watching it.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

The man called M posted:

Are there any "Guys talking about Wrestling Shows" Podcasts you guys recomend? I'm caught up on the New Generation Podcast, Attitude Era Podcast, and OSW I can just watch on youtube.

I've really been enjoying Bruce Prichards podcast.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

MassRafTer posted:

Episode 12: The History of TNA Part 2 is up! Time to talk finances.

https://www.spreaker.com/episode/13881898

Make sure to rate us on itunes and subscribe or whatever.

Are you guys on Google Play? I loving LOVED the episodes I've listened to so far!

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

MassRafTer posted:

Google Play just approved it so we're on there too.

Yay! This is a great podcast! Its like the Dollop of Wrestling!

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

exploded mummy posted:

Does the Monumental Podcast have a cat

No, just HulkaMatts fans blowing casually in the background.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

MassRafTer posted:

The Monumental Podcast Episode 13, The History of TNA Part 3: The History of the WWA is online!

https://www.spreaker.com/episode/13942148

YESSSS. Hulkamatt I can't say enough how much I am in love with your show. Your cohost does so much good research. I explained it to my friend like this: It's like the Dollop....but about Pro Wrestling!!!!!!!

This is the kind of podcast that I would love to do and am upset with myself that I didn't think of it first!

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
As someone who does a podcast for free, how the gently caress does it cost that much money to do one?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Mob posted:

It doesn't, for the rest of the planet a podcast is the free thing you do that promotes all your other stuff. "Only" earning more than someone working full time at a retail job to jack off about NJPW once a week is some god drat bullshit.

That's why I never tried to monetize my show.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
Mob I miss your MVP avatar

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

St Evan Echoes posted:

Sal post the podcast

Its about a British tv series called Peep Show

https://soundcloud.com/eldudebros-podcast

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
What I have been enjoying so much is that stuff like New Blood Rising, etc has been beat to death in other podcasts. TNA is a promotion that is rarely covered so this taps into something that I'm very much interested in. The 4 episodes so far about TNA have been amazing. It's seriously like the Dollop, but about TNA.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Incessant Excess posted:

Why does Alvarez sometimes end WORs with "and with that we're out of time everybody"? Those shows don't go up anywhere but the website, right? Why couldn't they just go however long they want?

It's probably a reference to Tony Schivane on Nitro?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
I said it earlier but it's like the Dollop only about TNA. I mean it's seriously loving brilliant. Also in the podcast field it's really an untapped market.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

ChrisBTY posted:

Well that just means that the details are unknown.
The overarching concept (putting wrestling style sports entertainment into a sport that usually doesn't have it) is not without precedent.

Darts is doing it now with Thursday Night Darts on BBC!https://twitter.com/BBCAMERICA/status/959244992114929664?s=19

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
Where can I listen to Retro Nitro? It sounds great.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
I have become obsessed with podcasting, if anyone needs / wants a guest I would love to come on! I have a "studio" at my apartment and am flexible with time! I will talk about any promotion as I have been a fan since like 95 and outside of 2001 - 2005 I have followed everything!

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Rick posted:

Do you talk about basketball?

Nope

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Its this part of TNA our are you done for now?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Go RV! posted:

Agreeing.

I'm really happy that non-traditional wrestlefans are starting podcasts and getting popular. Wrestlesplania, the Nobodies, I think maximum fun has one too? It's a good time for wrestlefans.

Are there any theater nerd podcasts who dissect wrestling matches/angles in academic terms, because I feel like that is an untapped market. Actually talking and critiquing wrestling as an art form.

I would listen

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
Whatwas the story behind this match?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Incessant Excess posted:

Same show, a later segment:

Flair comes out calls out Hogan and says he doesn't want to wait till Spring Stampede (Flair/Hogan was the scheduled main event), DDP comes out and says he wants a championship match, Goldberg comes out and says he wants a championship match, some arguing ensues and the 4 way championship match is made the main event for Nitro.

Wow. This is one of those matches that 17 year old me would've gone crazy watching. I think I was fully on team WWF at this point

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
I am so excited to hear Jerry Jarretts Manifesto!

Side Note: Would anyone be interested in doing a podcast specifically about New Japan? I have a New Japan based Facebook page with like 700 followers so there is a good springboard for an audience. I currently do a non-wrestling Podcast so I have equipment, I can edit, etc.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
Wow dang thank you for the responses. Let me mill it over and I'll be reaching out to one or two of you to see what we can make work! I have another podcast right now but my heart has always been with starting a Wrestling podcast!

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

EdsTeioh posted:

Man, after hearing a lot of positive word of mouth about Something to Wrestle With for a while, I finally decided to give it a listen today. I am...uh...yeah, I can't even finish this. How are these guys so highly regarded? Am I missing something?

Which episode did you listen to? I've found that some episodes are hit and miss but I personally loved the Goldberg and Goldust one. I also prefer the episodes where they focus on a particular wrestler vs. a specific show.

EDIT: I also think Bruce gets a little sanctimonious sometimes and I hate how he shits all over Dave Meltzer but I try to just ignore it when it happens.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

EdsTeioh posted:

The Radicalz one was what I tried to listen to today. I usually listen to LAW/Post Wrestling as my main source for wrestling podcasts, and they had Conrad on their roundtable this week. The thing is, I'm from the South and have lived here about 95% of my life, and Pritchard and Conrad's voices are the most grating things I've ever heard. Ragging on Meltzer really annoyed me too since the first half hour of the show was just Bruce arguing about attendance figures in reference to a Meltzer thread on Twitter or some poo poo.

EDIT: I actually don't mind listening to Tony Schiavone at all; I watched so much NWA and WCW growing up that his voice is actually pretty awesome to me.

O man thats such a bummer. I loved the Radicalz podcast. I also really love POST Wrestling as well. I thought Conrad was great on the round table! Bruce gets really fired up when discussing Meltzer so it's one of those things you just have to roll with it. It also stinks because usually the first 10 to 20 minutes are them discussing the prior weeks show. I would suggest giving The Rock episode a chance, if you don't like that one, you just won't like the show in general. I find the show really good because you see such an intimate behind the scenes look of the WWE.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

illcendiary posted:

Not very good because Prichard wasn't around for most of Punk's run. It was pretty dumb that that topic got voted for in the first place. I think the podcast in general is a must-listen each week, though.

Pretty much this. It is an interesting look at his OVW and ECW run

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

ChrisBTY posted:

I'm just rooting for them to do whatever thing with Roman hurts their business most. Because between being in Trump's cabinet, naming an inspirational award after one of the most hateful, selfish human beings to ever exist, trying to name a woman's battle royal after a sex trafficker and sucking the oil out of the KSA's dick I just want this whole stupid company to collapse into a singularity.

(There is a degree of questionable behavior I am prepared to accept from a wrestling company, but they've gone to plaid)

Is it sad I think Linda is the only competent person in the whole Trump administration?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Yes, because you believe there's someone competent in the administration

The fact that I haven't heard about her at all lead me to believe she was doing something right.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
Wait what Suzuki has a new theme?????

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Jerusalem posted:

Most of the big multi-man matches now come out to a specific Suzuki-Gun theme, which isn't particularly good.

For solo matches, Suzuki still seems to be using KAZE NI NARE but every time he comes out NOT to that song is a goddamn waste.

Thats weird because they used it on Night 1 for the LIJ vs SG match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Karmine posted:

There was Big Money Hustlas and Big Money Rustlas if memory serves and my brain thought they were both westerns but one of them not being a western probably makes more sense.

Big Money Hustlas was a parody of Blacksplotation movies like Shaft. It also has Mick Foley as Cactus Sack wrestling Violent J in no DQ Match. It's actually a very loving funny movie. It also has Harland Williams as a cop Harry Sachz.

Big Money Rustlas is a western that has Scott Hall in it. It wasn't as memorable to me as the first one.