Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Dota 2 is a game supported and balanced by Valve Corporation, a company that has not made a game in over ten years.

the new hero is a teen girl promoting the failed netflix anime i think idk

How do I, against my better judgment, play this game with other goons?

warily join us on this discord

Wangsbig fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Oct 20, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Cuntellectual posted:

I can't believe my good friend Poor Man's Shield is dead.

I'm glad of it

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Reality Winner posted:

Posting in the third active dota thread on these forums

'active' is a really strong word to use for a thread by a tragically exiled poster that got like two posts a week, and the other thread appears to be a bunch of grown?? men??? commentating live on the actions and achievements of actual children, which this poster honestly wants nothing to do with.

this thread, under the wise leadership of respected and known gamer 'wangsbig', will foster a thriving community and breathe life into this dead game and forum

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Death Bot posted:

I'm ready for the new new dota. We must be up to dota 4, by now

actually we are eagerly awaiting the full release of the dota 2 beta

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Minorkos posted:

i wonder if this new patch is just going to be a replay of 7.00 of people going "wow look at all this crazy new poo poo" and then "wow this is loving terrible" immediately afterwards. at least there are new heroes. one would hope that this starts a trend of regularly released new heroes to make this game seem less like a dead game, but knowing valve they'll just go back to releasing new loot boxes and shuffling numbers around instead

I have high hopes for this patch making the game at least bearable, due to easy mode and high ground changes. there has probably never been a patch as bad as the last one so it will at least be a net gain. quote this when i turn out to be wrong

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

staplegun posted:

I'd like to try learning how to play this game for at least the third time now, could anyone suggest some guides for people new to the DOTA? I assume that they haven't made the ingame tutorial any better at not getting you yelled at in games.

there's a bunch of youtube videos or whatever you can watch probably but that's a) retarded and b) boring. random every game and read tooltips instead.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Neurolimal posted:

compared to my knowledge of other mobas I'm still pretty scrub tier wrt dotes knowledge, is there a real point to meteor hammer I'm missing beyond tower damage/a cheaper abyssal blade for heroes that attack too slow for abyssal blade? It seems like it would be really easy to avoid due to the obvious telegraphed channel time.

it gives your team high ground vision, damages the enemy creep wave as it spawns and does guaranteed chip damage to structures. it is good on basically every hero and directly addresses the issues with pushing high ground and how boring it is, the main issue responsible for the death of the videogame dota 2

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Neurolimal posted:

That makes sense thanks, saw you mentioning "item specifically to counter high ground" and wasn't 100% on which it was since theres a ton of crazy poo poo in this patch

seems a bit awkward to have an item basically just to take care of a dumb mechanic but hey whatever works

glyph making your creeps immune, the removal of base shrines, earlier / stronger siege creeps, meteor hammer are all changes made to aggressively address the high ground issue after it actively and nearly single-handedly murdered this game for years

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

I'm actually incredibly right, now and likely always

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Snazzy Frocks posted:

bbg already melting down in thread day one

there is no proof of this person posting the exact words and opinions of bbg being bbg. it would be good if the thread was not gassed before the patch, but instead after when we find out it is bad

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

here are some of the more notable talent changes in video form for the illiterate: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYT9Im28l6A

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

ILL Machina posted:

Not that I expect a cogent response, but what about these changes are chinesey? And by what metric is this game less mechanically deep than lol?

No more UAMs and creep reward changes seem crazy. Any chance stacking lifesteal it's useful? From my reading, xp had leveled out for a given wave, though ranged gold bounties and deny xp rewards/penalties are boosted?

idk how someone both deploys the word 'cogent' and then asks what makes something 'chinesey' but I will go into the rest of your post in a desperate effort to save this thread from the gas chamber before the patch comes out.

have you seen a league champ lately? every champ has 4 abilities that all do 12 things and employ vector targeting and poo poo it's nuts and I don't know how a new player can even begin to approach that game.

Creep/XP changes not actually crazy or something that should be actively considered by most of the playerbase. click creeps.

UAM changes not crazy, mostly a non-issue as of last patch when there were basically none and will continue to be.

stacking lifesteal unlikely to be worthwhile on anyone because there is an item called satanic in the game.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

please, please, MISTER alphabigwang is my father

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

introducing our first and best goon streamer, me, wangsbig. i will be trying to win a game with goons this patch come peep: https://www.twitch.tv/wangsbig

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

I am sad to hear about the deserved death of the videogame dota two

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

mine is a very sad face, see why live on the wang is big stream https://www.twitch.tv/wangsbig

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Reality Winner posted:

Dark Willow shits out crowd control she's really strong I think.

Wangsbig why do you stream from a kitchen

thats my dota room, its got everything i need to dota for hours on end. no more no less

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

frajaq posted:

What's a good guide to figure out how to survive in off-lane alone, I suck at it

guides for this game are dumb & unnecessary probably, just look at a thing that shows you what exp range is and stay within that without dying. if there's a chance to safely (you learn what this is by doing. if you died it wasnt safe) get a creep for the valuable 'gold' resource do it. get the bounty rune every even minute, hell maybe try to get both if the enemy isn't on point with them. consider rotating to perform the 'gank' maneuver to obtain gold and experience for yourself and upwards of four other players

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

I think the most questionable move of all this patch was owning randoming in many different ways for no reason

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

I uninstalled the game, the patch is bad and the game is bad as well

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Elman posted:

Or giving offlaners and supports tons of gold which means they no longer have to make do with very little gold and xp (I actually enjoyed that aspect of the game a lot! It took effort to play position 5 and still carry the game for your team through good support).

this is the big one. everyone is rich through no effort of their own every game now, and they all have some wacky busted talent every 5 levels. it's like one of those custom games you play for like two rounds and uninstall

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

this is now a battlerite thread but you are only allowed to complain about the overwhelming power of the sword man

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Neurolimal posted:

I hate it when the sword man uses his sword.

ugh me too!!!!

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

?? how can you get upset at overwatch, or even refer to it as a game, something it only is on pure technicality

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

why does this troubled poster keep calling overwatch a game?

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

it is my pleasure to announce that there is actually zero reason to be playing dota 2 in late 2017

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

turboraton posted:

Yes, to have fun.

???

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

what weird mental gymnastics must you concede will ruin the game people do when the most successful game in the genre has had a concede button since inception and has not in fact been ruined by it at all

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

i dont know how it will end but I know how bored I am playing it and hell, maybe two other ppl will agree with me and we can move on

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

ok guy who's never been bored of a game by 20 minutes

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

jBrereton posted:

This. Multiple times I have checked out of games by about 7 minutes in the last couple weeks but sadly you cannot just slam abandon or you will be in rager single draft hell.

this is actually a reward btw, low prio has been the best and funnest mode particularly after they murdered randoming

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Kild posted:

maybe get your depression in check if your desire to play dota doesn't even last as long as a boner

not wanting to slave away at a dull task a clear sign of depression thanks dr. goon

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

this man must be mentally ill, to not want to play the videogame dota 2

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Kild posted:

the dull task of playing the game you loaded up and sat 5 minutes in queue for then pressed the ya I want to play this game button

i don't know what particular strain of your autism is making you insist that every minute of dota is a high octane blast but heck, sometimes they aren't and I'd like to spend them doing anything else which combined with my love of low prio is why I have a very high abandoner's rate

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Kild posted:

I didn't say it was just that if you can't handle the lows in dota maybe play something else? Like do you get on a rollercoaster and try 2 jump off when its climbing bc its boring and not 'high octane'?

a rollercoaster has a guaranteed payoff which this game doesn't can u please get someone smarter to elaborate on your argument

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

The REAL Goobusters posted:

just quit the game already then

i uninstalled the game at 01:08 forums time on November 12th, 2017

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

abandoning is good, as it grants you exclusive access to the thunderdome matchmaking pool against either known scumbags or other members of the enlightened few. it's like conceding except it doesn't mercifully free the rest of your team from the shackles of a lost rear end game of dota two

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

turboraton posted:

latino hate

loved watching this dude wrestle RIP

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

ElGroucho posted:

wangsbig, what game is not poo poo right now?

battlerite is a pretty good & fun game. league of legends just got a big rework and is quite good, but it is extremely formulaic and I honestly can't tell when I'm winning or losing or how ahead I am ever. counterstrike.

we are living in a gameless world tbh u better get a new hobby fast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Ambivalent posted:

i wish Amaterasu from the great game Okami was not being submitted as a new courier but actually as a new hero, it would be a good hero, and i want to play the hero that just barks, and there's like so many abilities and mechanics you could do

it would be a terrible precedent but i would love an amaterasu hero...

league of legend's cup runneth over w/ dog champs