Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

quote:

There are a lot of things that can be called into question about the Saudi Arabian Prince, but his willingness to spend money on Dota is unquestionable.

Hard hitting journalism from dotesports there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

sugar free jazz posted:

people who pick nature's prophet as position 5 and immediately try to transition to core can gently caress right off

this is every single one of my games. I'm pretty much 100% offlane and the support will always be at best a very soft core hero. then they don't buy any support items and sit off to the side of the lane leeching exp waiting for you to be harassed back or miss a last hit at which point they scream about you being poo poo and start trying to take all the farm.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Ojetor posted:

Someone datamined this: https://pastebin.com/zFLNY451. In addition to this you can also have Immortal Chests and Battle Pass points show up.

As far as shop mechanics:

Shop & Items
You can't get repeats of most items, once you purchase something, it's gone from the pool (except treasures and battle points). You get some amount of base shop rerolls (for me it was 8, not sure if BP level might affect this), but you can earn rerolls by winning games - 1 reroll per win, up to 10 rerolls per week. Not sure if the base rerolls refresh per week. Hopefully they do.

Diretide Shop Slot
The leftmost slot will always have a Diretide item. There's 6 Diretide items: 3 couriers, a ward, a Rosh skin and a Warlock set. If you buy out all 6 of these, the leftmost slot will be freed to have random items like the other two.

Candy
You have however many candy sacks you got from the battle pass and you can earn up to 5 candy per week by playing games. Regular games give 40% of a candy on wins and 20% on losses. Turbo/Diretide games give half that so 20%/10% per win/loss. Earning candy like this is pretty time consuming. Assuming a 50% winrate it takes 17 regular games per week to earn all 5 candy. With 11 weeks left on the BP the most you can get by playing is 55 candy, which is a pretty garbage return for the time invested TBQH. Most candy will likely come from BP levels both as direct rewards and from recycling immortals.

My Strategy
If you have a moderately leveled BP, it is probably worth to buyout all the Diretide items immediately (it is 36 or so candy total). This frees up that slot for Arcanas or Battle Points, making all your rerolls 50% better. Reroll until you get an item you want, then start filling your candy slots. Fill one at a time, NEVER use the fill button. Hopefully you get the candy you need for the item you want before you're in danger of running out of candy slots. Look at the 2:3 or 3:4 exchanges and try to build for what you need using those if you can for the efficiency. You never want to run out of slots, because then you'll be forced to buy an item you don't want or use the awful 3:1 exchange rate to free up slots which is a massive waste of candy.

can't you get candy by recycling treasures? i thought i saw someone mention that

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

IcePhoenix posted:

Six candy per recycled treasure yeah

having said that, I just recycled a bunch of immortal IIs and got... no treasure progress and no candy? Do I need to claim it somewhere? otherwise that's an expensive bug.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

His mistake was no Midas before boots

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

armpit_enjoyer posted:

I have many thoughts about the way the game's been balanced over the past couple of years and I should articulate them in a coherent manner one of these days.

I wouldn't bother. "It was fun because it was stupid" describes most of the things that have been reworked and then nostalgia does the rest.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Nfcknblvbl posted:

There’s heroes way more annoying than Techies like OD with their near limitless save potential.

By all means rework OD as well, but that isn't a case for not reworking techies.

embarassed to share a forum with people who relied on techies to make the enemy team mad.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

emdash posted:

Doesn’t seem to affect overwolf at all, based on twitch clips

e: i'm reading that the overwolf dotaplus dev has now disabled all the ban suggestions and other profile-accessing features in a patch, so I guess he thought his app was going to start getting people banned.

he's not at all mad about it though

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

I hate those forced-i-feed-0-5-on-mid-qop games that keep me stuck in archon

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Sab669 posted:

New Shard Idea: Multicast now also applies to auto attacks.

Give me a reason to want to take that +80 Damage talent, Ice Frog.

You can fireball on melee hit already, go full core build and you can stunlock people to death

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

I'm seein' double! 4 Antimages!

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

V
Did Not Play Selected Role

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

respect my opponents skill level? absolutely not if they had any skills they wouldn't be the same rank as me.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

i was happily winning 50% of my games as legend 6 months ago, then i started getting dumpstered every game right down to mid crusader and i swear blind the games are harder now, people play with so much more awareness and aggression

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

i wonder if they're going to make a bigger thing out of the day/night cycle, maybe every hero gets an alignment to one of the states similar to how everyone gets a aghs/shard

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Played a couple tinker games. Shivas makes me so rich with all these extra camps.

i take it the blink mute means you can't refresh and blink out while being hit as tinker anymore?

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

i went from high archon to high crusader which feels pretty bad as most people gained a lot of ranks I think. And in my next game there was a CK who didnt control his illusions once in 30 minutes so DOTA matchmaking really does not think much of me evidently

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

TOOT BOOT posted:

I'm surprised they haven't released a followup patch yet for all the bugs and the 60% winrate PL and Riki.

im only archon but i've been having good results as BoT2 mid kunkka vs all the PLs, think i'm 5-0 with it

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

jesus christ, undying tombstone can activate and travel through the portals

e; so can death ward, shaman wards, veno wards,

NtotheTC fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Apr 25, 2023

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Sab669 posted:

How are people doing it with Death Ward? I loaded up a Bot game; interacting with the Gate interrupted my channel of Death Ward :shrug:

you have to select the ward then click the gate with it

e; all i want is a pro game where undying sends his tombstone through, eats a teammate with it to save him then brings them back through the gate

NtotheTC fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Apr 25, 2023

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

i only just noticed the other tormentor is mined as well so they get 2 shards, that's nuts

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

which of the patch changes crippled natures prophet? he's the 2nd lowest winrate in a patch where you'd think porting round the map would be insanely strong

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Mr.Acula posted:

All real life friends suck at dota

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

The step before abandoning should be muting the team

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

sample size of 1 but i won a game with a support dusa on my team yesterday and the enemy team carry picked AM, went diffusal first item and then all-inned the supp dusa every single fight, usually dying in the process. Guy was two rank pips higher than anyone else in the game it was bizzare.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Skyl3lazer posted:

Yeah ever since they added talents the game is fundamentally different, and to me at least it's just straight worse. Every time I try it again now I'm just saddened by the loss of a game I loved.

All that said maybe I'm just a grog, I have thousands and thousands of hours from AoS through dota2 and I just don't have fun if I try to play anymore.

Think it's just you in fairness, I played garena through HON and while there are heroes I wish were ported dota2 is in the best state as a game it's ever been

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

lol Aui "noone beats us 8 times in a row so.."

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Sab669 posted:

I installed SMITE because a friend plays and I remembered having a decent enough time with it a decade ago.

I've often wished you could surrender in DOTA but after 2 days in Smite I've changed my mind. People are so eager to give up the second something goes wrong, and as a new player it feels so much harder to learn the game when everyone wants to give up after 10 minutes.

yeah HON had a surrender, and then people started unironically pressing it if they got firstblooded, so they moved it so you could only surrender after 15 minutes, so from then on at 15 minutes exactly whichever team was losing would instantly cast a vote to surrender.

it's a terrible idea- as frustrating as it is playing to the whistle is when youre a long way behind its better than people vote kicking people who won't surrender then surrendering if it looks like a hard game

e; i literally just finished a dota game where we had a loving disasterous laning phase and I just had to keep going "it's fine, we've got late" every time someone died because people were losing their poo poo. then i hit that magical 20 timing on meurta and we smash the next teamfight and boom- everyones happy again

NtotheTC fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jun 2, 2023

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

I'm not a tinker player but i sort of want to try out the laser phylactery build

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

if you can't stay civil press mute on everyone else and play the game til the ancient falls

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

i win at least half of the games I play where we go down to 4v5 and it's entirely because everyone who is left generally focuses their hatred on the person who left and just buckles down and plays the game

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

already exists my friend, i watched TI 10 games in VR and got motion sickness so stopped almost immediately

e; it's actually a cool concept, if wearing a vr headset for long periods wasnt uncomfortable it would be my preferred viewing method (and they updated the controls)

NtotheTC fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Jun 20, 2023

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

my friend messaged me near tears because she got muted and didn't know why, I may have already seen the reddit post about it and told her that Valve had made the Crystal Maiden chatlines specifically bannable because of some drama at the major and she said they should stop doing the majors so that's fair i guess

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

https://www.dota2.com/patches/7.33e

Patch notes, morph nerf thank christ

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

https://www.dota2.com/newsentry/3640648066072340345

this is a cool blog, I hope they keep it up. DOTA2 isn't a game so much as a collection of bugged interactions in a trenchcoat. letting the dev(s?) vent over the insanity of fixing some of them could be fun

e; my favourite bug lately, turns out using euls (but not windwaker) on top of a ward nudges it ever so slightly, allowing you to plant an obs outside rosh put and then nudge it inside for vision!

why?

noone knows! tune in to the blog at some point hopefully to find out!

NtotheTC fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jul 27, 2023

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Nichael posted:

Random question, but do any streamers/pros in the Dota 2 scene do nonprofit/charity work? I've played for ages but I'm not at all versed on the professional/twitch people because I don't think watching video games is that fun.

liquid donated $50k to an LGBTQ+ charity or charities at the start of riyadh i beleive, they're garaunteed $1.8m now so maybe they do a bit more iunno

also grubby is Divine after 1 year- hard to argue with the results of banning people in chat

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

https://www.dota2.com/newsentry/3674426239866314901

christ FINE I'll play your stupid game

🦔: 🐽💦🔮✨ ➕3️⃣📏

bristleback nasal goo... cast range increased by 3?

NtotheTC fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Aug 8, 2023

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

that midas change, god its going to be everywhere

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Doom
No longer applies mute
Now makes the target unable to be healed
Damage per second increased from 30/45/60 to 30/50/70
Cooldown decreased from 145s to 140/130/120s

drat, i was hoping they would change doom but didnt think they actually would. the whole "this hero is not allowed to play for 30s" was very dull

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Horn Toss
Now stuns enemies for the duration of the air time

team spirit 2x TI champions