Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenebrous Tourist
Aug 28, 2008

Ojetor posted:

Good heroes to start with:
Cores - Wraith King, Sniper, Drow Ranger, Phantom Assassin, Juggernaut, Ogre Magi
Offlane - Doom, Centaur Warruner, Bristleback, Tidehunter, Slardar, Ogre Magi
Support - Lion, Jakiro, Crystal Maiden, Shadow Shaman, Ogre Magi

Avoid: Invoker, Arc Warden, Meepo, Io, Chen, Visage, Lone Druid, Brewmaster, Tinker, Techies, all heroes with Spirit in their name.

To add on to this, Vengeful Spirit is the exception to the above "spirit" rule and is very straightforward to learn. She's also very versatile and can be played as either a support or a core depending on the rest of your team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrous Tourist
Aug 28, 2008

I’m absolutely astonished that you get them for just winning games and not dropping a ton of cash.

Tenebrous Tourist
Aug 28, 2008

flashman posted:

sven is gonna be tough lol

Yeah I’d really suggest Wraith King over Sven. He’s still a tanky melee carry with a stun, but he has a lot more survivability between his lifesteal and Resurrection. He’s much more forgiving for new players as a result.

Tenebrous Tourist
Aug 28, 2008

I think there’s also a last hit trainer in the Learn tab.

Tenebrous Tourist
Aug 28, 2008

Super-NintendoUser posted:

Fine you guys win I just reinstalled it. My kid has a slight more powerful laptop so I put a profile for myself on it and it's downloading dotes now. I don't have work tomorrow so I'm gonna stay up and Dota. Anyone want to play

If you haven’t tried it, give a serious look at turbo mode. The games take half as long and are pretty much nonstop action. It’s a great way to get the Dota fix without quite as much of a time commitment.

Tenebrous Tourist
Aug 28, 2008

TOOT BOOT posted:

It feels like there's some weird poo poo going on with offlane WK in my games. I mean, people don't necessarily play heroes the way they're played in higher MMR, but I keep ending up with people who just completely ignore Vampiric Spirit. Then they end up super underfarmed and deal like 10k damage and we lose.

They should be embarrassed for neglecting The Boys so egregiously.

Tenebrous Tourist
Aug 28, 2008

Viper/veno is an amazing lane duo for making your opponents absolutely hate Dota and life in general (before they end up winning because they 100% scale better than you).

Tenebrous Tourist
Aug 28, 2008

Dr. Capco posted:

Abaddon support is absolutely busted and hilarious. Not in lane though, but eventually since everybody gets to have gold in dota you will get your force staff + aghanims and then nobody on your team dies anymore. Enemy teams trying to force high ground vs aghs borrowed time is a guaranteed throw even if you're losing bad.

I was in a game with an aghs refresher Aba once and we were just completely unkillable. Being able to pound on the enemy team for 15 seconds at a time with no consequences is absolutely wild.

Tenebrous Tourist
Aug 28, 2008

Does blade mail reflect damage before or after damage reduction is factored in? What about Spectre’s dispersion?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrous Tourist
Aug 28, 2008

Uncle Spriggly posted:

Start the game angry and do the classic 'mid or I quit' after someone calls mid. Get in a little argument, make some threats, but then play really well with some counter warding and call outs. Then go out of your way to compliment players, tip em til Spirit Breakers come home, maybe note how cool their skins are. Finally, apologize for your attitude at the start of the game and say you really think you've changed for the better this time.

I was with you up to the part where I need to play really well