Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Spriggly
Jan 29, 2009
Turbo is still the best way to play Dota because last hitting creeps isn't fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Spriggly
Jan 29, 2009
HoN is a thing I revisit occasionally and it's a lot of fun. The game definitely is as unbalanced as Dota, but I still really like some of their decisions around items and heroes. I'm not sure if it's still true, but illusions benefitting from attack modifiers items in Dota just doesn't make sense to me, whereas in HoN it just didn't happen. There are a lot of scenarios that leave you scratching your head in Dota which stem from arbitrary decision making, whereas HoN I felt like ability and items were more consistent.

^ this paragraph means I play too many MOBAS

Uncle Spriggly
Jan 29, 2009
As Underlord, buy a Helm of the Dominator and control a random creep and plant it deep in the trees next to the lane on the enemies side of the river. Teleport your whole team to that creep and catch someone extraordinarily off-guard then turn it into a pushed objective. A little bit of planning or trickery can end a pub match, though many times noone will comply and you'll salt out.

Uncle Spriggly
Jan 29, 2009
I'm very sick of Medusa. Her shard and scepter combo is almost unstoppable if she makes it to lvl 25 and the opposing team doesn't have a hard hero counter.

Uncle Spriggly
Jan 29, 2009

KingKapalone posted:

What's the best way for someone to jump back into this after not playing for a few years? I was like 2700 MMR I think? That could be way off I just don't remember. I used to play with goons, but maybe now they would get too mad at me. I would feel so lost not knowing when to creep pull and stuff like that. I haven't even played with the overhauled leveling system.

Turbo or just queue and be prepared to learn alot about a buncha goofy neutral items and scepter / shard abilities.

Uncle Spriggly
Jan 29, 2009
Valve is really lazy in everything they do around community and toxicity. The continued voice line spam and no way to turn it off gets me real salty. I may have thousands of players muted by now.

Uncle Spriggly
Jan 29, 2009

Stan Taylor posted:

Oh, get a blink dagger?Just get a blink dagger? Why don't I strap on my blink dagger helmet and squeeze down into a blink dagger cannon and fire off into blink dagger land, where blink daggers grow on blink daggeries?!

I hope Charlie is the next hero they add. They could just call him the King of the Rats and make him have a passive that gives him immunity to any sedatives and his ult is forcing everyone around him to turn into worms and roll on the ground.

Uncle Spriggly
Jan 29, 2009
Been turboing as Arc Warden and going for first item Midas. It's pretty much a guaranteed win if the opposing team can't close out the game in 15 minutes. Something is very jacked about the clone and cooldown reduction items paired with a midas.

Uncle Spriggly
Jan 29, 2009
I've been seeing a lot more 'gently caress you I'm doing my own thing' jungling in turbo lately after a lane is deemed to be lovely. It normally loses the game but it can work for a few heroes if the other team doesn't push objectives and just also wants to jungle forever.

Uncle Spriggly
Jan 29, 2009
Tier 5 has some real goofy but cool items, but I'm still bitter that the necro book is out and the book of the dead is a tier 5.

Uncle Spriggly
Jan 29, 2009
I want rapier combos. Rapier mixed with blademail to do extraordinary damage reflection that counters a Satanic and drops on death.

Uncle Spriggly
Jan 29, 2009
Which spirit is the best spirit?

Uncle Spriggly
Jan 29, 2009

Sab669 posted:

On a related note, is Timber mid a thing? I had one go like 0/6 against a QoP this weekend and then abandon the game after conceding he got outplayed in all chat.

He's extra terrible mid, but there could be scenarios where he isn't terrible. Like I don't think he'd ever do well but certainly may be able to get farm and not be killed by the other mid. There aren't any trees out in the river...

Sounds like you got a bad teammate.

Uncle Spriggly
Jan 29, 2009
I always wonder if Marci was recycled by an anime studio because reusing assets is cheaper and valve just forced her in the game cause a business person said so...

Uncle Spriggly
Jan 29, 2009
Who's the guy who funded it? Is it MBS?

Uncle Spriggly
Jan 29, 2009
I want a new hero that's like a Mii or generic avatar that allows me to have myself be a part of the game that I know and love.

Uncle Spriggly
Jan 29, 2009
Pop that jetpack and take to the skies

Uncle Spriggly
Jan 29, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

People are way too loving sweaty nowadays.

They say the world's been heating up and people are heavier than ever, so maybe it's not the Dota

Uncle Spriggly
Jan 29, 2009
Dota brings out the best in all of us. God bless us, every one of us

Uncle Spriggly
Jan 29, 2009
I always assume everyone has voice comms but also everyone is so salted and tired / annoyed with internet tough guys that noone uses them anymore. I only play turbo these days though, and feel like it's full of people who have realized that getting good is a fool's errand.

Uncle Spriggly
Jan 29, 2009

armpit_enjoyer posted:

I think I'm ready for another two year break

Think of the comeback streak and keep queuing

Uncle Spriggly
Jan 29, 2009
I find that duo is the best queuing and a full stack of randoms is the worst.

I've got a buddy who is a great dota player but also has the most frustrating thing about him. He will never buy wards / dust despite it just being a central concept to the game and he refuses to buy BKBs in any scenario. I could beg him to do either and he just won't budge. He will then talk about how jacked balance is after getting poo poo on by abilities during teamfights. He's just dota damaged I guess.

Uncle Spriggly
Jan 29, 2009
Turbo is the best. The kills-per-minute have to be significantly higher in turbo which I appreciate because the pve side of dota is necessary but boring. The only downside is that some heroes are really terrible when the other team has 5 bkbs.

Uncle Spriggly
Jan 29, 2009
Rapiers need to build into very wacky things, call Icefrog

Uncle Spriggly
Jan 29, 2009
Start the game angry and do the classic 'mid or I quit' after someone calls mid. Get in a little argument, make some threats, but then play really well with some counter warding and call outs. Then go out of your way to compliment players, tip em til Spirit Breakers come home, maybe note how cool their skins are. Finally, apologize for your attitude at the start of the game and say you really think you've changed for the better this time.

Uncle Spriggly
Jan 29, 2009
I was gonna try to do Tinker + Enigma to get that defense matrix CD reduction glory.

Uncle Spriggly
Jan 29, 2009
My turbos have been real bad. The classic case of my team having no coordination or afk junglers and the other team being navy seals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Spriggly
Jan 29, 2009
My veno tip is to use the wards whenever they are off cooldown to build a web of vision around the area your in, especially if you're on the offensive across the river. It's a great anti-gank mechanism to catch a blink dagger user with a ward then just waddle away.

Also ward farming the jungle is very easy and effective.