Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Is this the main DOTA thread? I just started playing again after a multi-year break... Can't imagine it's fallen out of popularity so much that the last post in a DOTA thread is 3 weeks old :monocle:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Got'chya. I very well could be misremembering but I thought I recalled the thread being drat near as active as the WH40K one which gets like 50-100 posts per day.

Well, then, what do you fellow scrubs think of Nature's Prophet talents? No idea what MMR I am, but I consider myself an average player with a perfect 50% Win/Loss rate. Me and a buddy duo queued and went rat shitlords Tinker / Prophet and I wasn't sure what abilities to take. I just took all of the Left talents (Treant focused, mainly) to spam my ult with Aghs. We had no right winning the game, but hey lovely pubs so poo poo works.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I wasn't gonna buy a battle pass, but uh... how much i gotta spend to get bare rear end handed axe? Not at home so I can't just pull up DOTA and figure poo poo out

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Johnny Truant posted:

It's wild coming back and seeing strange new items, like now there's Kaya & Yasha and Kaya & Sange? :psyduck:

Or new Heroes lol.

And RE: "Just have fun" - I've been trying real hard not to get salty, but holy crap last night me and my 2 buddies got paired up with two randoms who went Viper/Drow offlane and fed 20+ kills together. Tinker mid was unable to gank, I was Enigma in the Jungle (tbf I did loving awful because I forgot how to Jungle enigma) and then bot lane was.... something else that sucks at rotating. The two of them literally never once used their TP scrolls to switch lanes. The Drow was buying Recipes for items before getting the actual item components.

Like I get it, losing is a team effort and I should be asking myself, "Well what could I have done better?" but goddamn.

I've lost more games than I've won since I started playing again a week or two ago, but that was the first one in a series of losses that made me say, "Oh right - this is why I stopped playing DOTA."

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

That's good to know, but the key factor was that I turned a Ranged Creep into some Eidolons right out of the gate rather than converting the 'boss' creep in the camp. So my little bros got their poo poo kicked in instantly, then it was on cooldown and I had to just face tank poo poo / wait for mana & cooldown constantly.

I played a few games Jungle NP right out of the gate and I was still getting Midas around ~7-8 minutes which seems to be par for the course from what I remember year(s) ago?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

MoaM posted:

Micro your eidolons. Let one tank then move it back, let another tank then move it back. Their attack-proc-spawn-passive thing is what matters, not their health. Your eidolons should basically never die in the jungle (they time out).

I mean, I know you're supposed to swap who is tanking - NP is my second most played hero and you gotta rotate his Treants too.

I just made the mistake of Converting a lane creep instead of a jungle creep, and not realizing how weak the Eidolons are out of the gate. Also I was initially thinking they split upon taking N hits, rather than attacking N times :downs:

Like, Level 1 Eidolons have 180 HP and 270 move speed. They die to 3-4 attacks from a full Kobold camp. So after it took 1 volley and got chunked, I have a very short window to then select the single Eidolon and try to move it out of range but it's too late because the kobolds move faster and can chase easily.

Last time I played Enigma, according to DOTABuff, was 2014 lol.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Aug 6, 2019

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I don't remember the order in which people picked.

I think it was:

Drow
TA
Weaver
Viper
Enigma

I couldn't decide what to pick; I'm bad at drafting. And so are my friends lol.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

FACKER posted:

Don't jungle

Yes I heard you the first time you said it, when the next guy quoted you, and the next time you posted saying "Ignore the jungle".

I got the message loud and clear. We're simply talking about how the rest of the game unfolded at this point / what else I could've done differently.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

what is this? asymetric pvp? or is it coop VS big rear end monsters? Looks sweet from the first video

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

My Unranked All Pick games with my 2 friends continue to be absolutely terrible. We decided to try Ranked to check out these new "Role MMR" changes... And we couldn't queue because "MMR is too different" or something like that - I don't know the exact message. None of us are calibrated, but my friends have 100-500 games each (500 probably on the very high end) whereas I have 2400+. My Win-Loss just dropped below 50% since I started playing again [with these 2]. Their Win-Loss according to DOTABuff is 42-43%

After that we decided to just do Unranked and I was like, "Huh - I wonder if the game just sandbags us with the newest of newbs to give the other team "a fair match"?" and then we get into a game and our pub Phoenix says, "Be patient with [other pub] please, this is his first game against real players"

So yea. I guess if I'm queuing with my 2 friends my MMR is probably much higher than theirs and then I just can't carry our crap pubs. I often pick last and just fill in whatever we need - which is often Support.

I don't want to smurf, but I don't to play DOTA if 2/5 of my team every game is going to be people who have basically never played before...

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Aug 8, 2019

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

What is a patch but a miserable pile of bugs

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Is there a way to Export/Import user settings from 1 Steam/DOTA account to another?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

e; eh gently caress it

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Thom and the Heads posted:

is lich bad now? :(

I can't answer your question but I played him for the first time in years the other day and I was pretty unhappy to find out that Lich isn't gonna have yo' momma mana

Also Ice Armor lasts for like no time at all, now :(

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I've always loved Ogre Magi, long before he was good/popular and now while watching games this morning I just learned Multicast effects items since I last played -- HOLY poo poo that's amazing.

What items do you start with and who is a good lane mate for him? Because Ogre is my loving jam and I'm just going to do nothing but play him until he gets nerfed, now. I used to just start with a bunch of Mangos and a Shield and try to bully as much as I can.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Greaves Ogre has a 60%+ winrate and if that's not motivation enough to buy it I don't know what is

Yea but Rapier Ogre has an 87% win rate :colbert:

I can definitely understand both sides of the arguments for & against Ogre Midas though. I'll just have to play and give both a shot.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Looks like it's received nothing but buffs.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

There are definitely plenty of new players, I kept getting paired up with them while queuing with a friend who has 5% of the Games Played I do.

But I fully agree that you should probably play Normal instead of Turbo as it'll help you learn how to actually play the game. Then you can translate that knowledge to Turbo if you really don't want to play for up to an hour.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea, very little opportunity for comebacks in my experience. Also, while I know normal can definitely be "decided at draft", I feel as though that's especially true for Turbo. So when you're new and don't know much about the hero pool you can basically cost the game just by picking 1 or 2 "non-turbo friendly" heroes.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Who would be next? We've got Earth, Storm (as Air?), and Fire. I guess a Water Spirit? Heart? :puke:

Timbersaw is one of my favorite character concepts, like the tree paranoia thing is great and the voice actor is the best, so I feel like I should be stoked for Timbersaw's aunt but I haven't fully made up my mind yet.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I could get behind a playable siege creep

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Have they confirmed they've given up on it? Earlier this year they said, "We know we goofed, but we're gonna un-gently caress this pooch" and that was the last I heard.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

quote:

Chemical Rage no longer provides mana regeneration

Ha get hosed Alc

quote:

Level 15 Talent changed from +75 Spirits Hero Damage to Spirits Apply Slow

RIP

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Anyone who jungles LC should be shot :colbert: that was a popular place to put her when she was first added and I never understood why because she is so much better in the lane

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

But then how will they sell courier hats if the game just randomly chooses the skin from 1 of the 5 teammates?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Xarn posted:

I don't even disagree much, but the same argument could be made for wards, dust, TP scrolls and so on.

The difference is that you only buy 1 courier. You buy lots of those consumables, though.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

They should've just told all of China to get over it and leave him as the bone king :colbert:

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Sep 23, 2019

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

It's actually decent for zoning in lane. Although you risk pushing your lane, even with the half DPS to creeps. I don't know, I like him from what I've seen so far.

I played some Omni yesterday with a Treant and we had so much survivability with the max health that Omni's new W grants. Although, how exactly does Status Resist work? Just reduces stuns, roots, and snares by X%?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Smite was really cool but I hated a lot of the fundamental design decisions. I seem to remember a ton of Ultimate abilities just made dudes immune to certain types of damage or and crowd control, so they could always just press R and run away.

The over-the-shoulder perspective was fun, but yea it was clear they were trying to copy League and I just didn't like it.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

What are some good counters to Viper? I used to feel like I had pretty good meta knowledge years and years ago when I really played DOTA heavily, started playing again recently and I am just so bad now. Both mechanically and all the heroes have changed so much; every time I single - triple queue we always seem to get hosed on by this guy and I have no idea how to deal with him.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

SPROINK

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Turbo DOTA is dumb, but I was limited on time tonight and wanted to play a game. It seems like a really easy way to rack up my body count for this Wraith King arcana... Might have to play it more :staredog:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Any idea how, if at all, overall number of games played effects match making?

I'm by no means like a good player, I have about 2500 games played and just slightly under a 50% win rate. Every time I party with my friends (all of whom have at least 300 games) we get paired with literally "I've played like 5 games" pubbies who have no clue how to play a MOBA. 7/10 times we get our poo poo absolutely stomped because no one in my stack has any idea how to play Support so I usually do that and then our typical carry player is just OK. 3/10 we absolutely stomp the other team. We almost never have an actual good game that feels balanced.

I've stopped playing with friends and now I'm on a 7-game win streak, most of them have been pretty good, close games with lots of back and forths, but more notably my teammates are actually competent. Like I played WK the other day and our Tusk triple stacked every single jungle camp for me and it was the most wonderful thing in the world.

At least 2 of the dudes I usually play with are in the 46% win rate range, FWIW :shrug:

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Jun 6, 2020

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

If you played League and remember the basics of like, "Don't push waves just last hit" and "Don't blindly run at the enemy you will die a lot" that'll go a long way but I have thousands of hours into DOTA and I'm still bad lol. There are just so many more things to learn in this game. And most things are much more unforgiving

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Acerbatus posted:

My addiction to double down techies will be the end of me.

Because someone will track you down and actually murder you for picking Techies, I assume?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Minorkos posted:

I feel like the reason the game has lost its players is mostly because of change fatigue. I came back to play a couple of games last weekend and once again, half the poo poo I liked from previous patches has just been straight-up removed, and all the numbers have been shuffled around so I can't really make intelligent decisions.

Big map changes and the whole, "We added shrines" --> "we removed shrines" is a little :psyduck: but generally speaking big patch shakeups aren't too detrimental to me. I've got a large enough roster that I can find a hero I like playing who is largely the same as they've always been.

The main reasons I stopped playing:

1) ABYSMAL match making when I play with my friends. Our individual MMR is vastly different; I have thousands of hours played, they might have hundreds. So when we triple queue our 2 pubbies are literally, "Hey so this is like my first game" and then the enemy team is often just a 5 stack of all medium skilled players, or a triple and a double. Either way, they're all usually around the average of my team's MMR, but usually we can't carry our literal first timers. OCCASIONALLY we'll get paired up against first-timers and oh boy now we just get to absolute poo poo stomp them.. which I guess is fun once in a while, but I'd rather just have a good, close game of DOTA? Not "Hey, CM is pushing a tower by herself, lets go kill her for the 24th time"

2) I solo queue and get much better match making results, but oh my loving god nobody in my MMR bracket knows how to press their advantage. Team wipe? Why go high ground and take 'rax when we could back off, farm their jungle and take Rosh and delay the game another 15 minutes. I don't mind losing if it's a close game, but it's almost never a close game. One side gets ahead by 20 minutes and then takes another 20-40 minutes to actual lock it in because there's no communication. Those games where it's just a clusterfuck and all that happens is you leave your base and die, or they fountain camp you, they're loving miserable. Or you're winning but again your carry thinks they need to farm for another half hour even though you're up 6 buildings to their 0 and 15 more kills. Just ugh.

I'm not gonna pretend I'm a pro player, but for the most part I think my ability to read the state of a game is much better than my actual mechanical ability as a player and it's so frustrating knowing what we need to do but not being able to execute it, or knowing the game is long over and just sit in fountain and wait for it to end because Valve refuses to implement a Surrender button.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Nov 2, 2020

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

^Agreed. Devs making a game "to be an esport" almost always fail. Make a game that people want to play, let the scene develop organically.

Given they have infinite money, I do think Valve should do more to sustain professional players, but I don't think the fact that Riot is more involved in their pro scene is why League is still as strong as it ever was.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

A friend convinced me to reinstall this game and now apparently my "Quickbuy a TP scroll" hotkey got unbound? And I can't reliably seem to Alt-Click to ping? Where are the key bindings for these, I couldn't seem to find it last night.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I double click the "Find Match" button because it always defaults to your last search settings.

Well, after the New Player Update it changed my settings to queue for a New Player Game. Boy was I confused when I didn't get the big green ACCEPT button and was immediately thrown into a lobby :thunk:

unrelated, does this site have an emoticon equivalent of 🤨 yet? It's a pain in the rear end to google "eye raised emoji" and copy paste it, and the thunk one doesn't quite convey the same energy. is it :chloe:??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I always forget about that.

Also it's [Windows Key] + [.] for anyone who don't use "full stop" in place of "period" :raise: But enough off topic chat :v:

Any idea who the new hero is? I saw a news article suggesting Selememe