Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Sab669 posted:

I've always loved Ogre Magi, long before he was good/popular and now while watching games this morning I just learned Multicast effects items since I last played -- HOLY poo poo that's amazing.

What items do you start with and who is a good lane mate for him? Because Ogre is my loving jam and I'm just going to do nothing but play him until he gets nerfed, now. I used to just start with a bunch of Mangos and a Shield and try to bully as much as I can.

Midas is a trap, multicasting Guardian Greaves is for big-brain players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Cuntellectual posted:

Yeah. To add to that, note some of the best carries: Juggernaut (spins people to death), Naga Siren (her illusions are insanely good for contesting farm and trading), Ursa/Slark (can be very deadly to trade hits from early on).

Slark is maybe the worst laner in the game. He is just garbage against a lot of matchups and gets frozen out by competent opponents

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
In brief:

OoV, regen, support items
You like aggressive carries/offlaners like MK, CK, or Ursa
Don't buy midas

You want to right click whoever you're laning against when they have ignite on them, but be careful to not upset the lane equilibrium too much.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I think if you do the math it says "always buy Midas".

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Sab669 posted:

I've always loved Ogre Magi, long before he was good/popular and now while watching games this morning I just learned Multicast effects items since I last played -- HOLY poo poo that's amazing.

What items do you start with and who is a good lane mate for him? Because Ogre is my loving jam and I'm just going to do nothing but play him until he gets nerfed, now. I used to just start with a bunch of Mangos and a Shield and try to bully as much as I can.

I usually play him pos4 and bully lane and try to rush brown boots to Midas, then arcanes and dagon/euls/atos. If I want to play him more responsibly, I'd probably go arcane into euls/atos and essentially be done. Shield + tangos + mangos still seems to be the opening play. Maybe grab an armor ring quickly too, as you could work an urn into either of those builds.

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah
brown boots midas force hex is best

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I know you don't get multiple hp heals out of this, but you do get the mana. Does it do the self dispel x times every .5s or whatever?

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

ILL Machina posted:

I know you don't get multiple hp heals out of this, but you do get the mana. Does it do the self dispel x times every .5s or whatever?

Self dispel is only on the active https://dota2.gamepedia.com/Guardian_Greaves

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Yes... We're talking about multicast with gg boots, friend. You can't stack the mek and/or gg hp heal and I'm wondering if the dispel applies more than once.

ILL Machina fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Aug 16, 2019

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah
90% sure they cant be multi cast? as it procs from offensive cd's

e: in fact im 100% sure it doesn't multicast wtf are you on about

queef anxiety fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Aug 16, 2019

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

ILL Machina posted:

Yes... We're talking about multicast with gg boots, friend. You can't stack the mek and/or gg hp heal and I'm wondering if the dispel applies more than once.

The dispel would only apply to yourself, but since the active effect that restores mana is tied to the dispel, and you mentioned you can multicast the mana restoration part, maybe there is a chance of multi casting the dispel component unless it has been specifically coded to avoid that affect, but it's a very niche situation.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

queef anxiety posted:

90% sure they cant be multi cast? as it procs from offensive cd's

e: in fact im 100% sure it doesn't multicast wtf are you on about

Yah, I was quoting someone else who might've just been trolling. I could very well be dumb. Not sure how to set up multiple heroes in a demo or I'd test it. Console commands in a custom lobby with cheats on?

Lady Galaga posted:

...(if) you can multicast the mana restoration part, maybe there is a chance of multi casting the dispel component unless it has been specifically coded to avoid that affect, but it's a very niche situation.

Yah this was what I was on about but it doesn't matter cause it's not targeted. Was thinking about it being similar to the rolling dispel that Oracle ult applied before 6.86.

ILL Machina fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Aug 16, 2019

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

ILL Machina posted:

Yah, I was quoting someone else who might've just been trolling. I could very well be dumb. Not sure how to set up multiple heroes in a demo or I'd test it. Console commands in a custom lobby with cheats on?

https://dota2.gamepedia.com/Cheats#Cheat_Commands

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Sab669 posted:

What items do you start with

Midas, because for some reason multicast works on it. How much farm you have on Ogre is now based entirely on how lucky you are proccing multicast on Midas, which you rush as early as you can possibly get away with. Then if you get good procs you can afford to buy whatever stupid poo poo you want that'll work with multicast, like Hex or Orchid. I saw a dude buy an Abyssal Blade and a blink dagger and basically be Tidehunter. If you get unlucky and have no money then you just play old-style ogre.

also multicast only applies to single target items that you're using on enemies and always works by casting them on different nearby targets. So you can't get a Shiva's and do 800 aoe damage, but you can get a Dagon and do 800 aoe damage, and you can't multicast Glimmer Cape on your whole team and be Discount Mirana.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
However bloodthorn does work and its truly something to see

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

All offensive, single-target items work.

Solar Crest (enemy)
Orchid
Midas
Nullifier
Euls
Sheepstick
Dagon

This excludes:
Glimmer
Lotus Orb
Solar Crest (ally)
Euls (self)
Pipe
Mek
Greaves

etc

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Greaves Ogre has a 60%+ winrate and if that's not motivation enough to buy it I don't know what is

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
If you buy Midas on ogre you are either A) so much better than the other team you might as well just go rapier first or B) completely retarded and lost the game by not buying an item that actually does something.

(it's probably B)

Scenario C is it's a reasonable buy, but that is so rare it's not even worth mentioning.

If you're snowballing in farm with ogre, what you want is to buy items that will let you keep killing people. If you're a dota player chances are you spend enough time sitting around being useless in real life, you don't need to do it in the game too!

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Aug 16, 2019

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

literally every ogre at TI is buying midas

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Kild posted:

Pro strats virtually never apply to pubs. The level of coordination, skill, etc. between an immortal pub and even a tier 2 pro team is vast enough that it's practically two different games.

Like, back in the day some teams like Alliance would get things like Dagon 5 on CM because they're so efficient at getting resources out of the map that they can afford to do things like that. Even if you, personally, are that good at maximizing your farm, it's very rarely a good idea to do that because you need to take the rest of your team into consideration.

Another example is meepo; I haven't seen any pro meepo games lately, but generally at that level supports are going to be on the ball to protect his jungle. At a lot of other levels, as a 4-5 you can just drop a sentry in every one of his camps and for six minutes he's not going to get any farm out of that.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Cuntellectual posted:

Pro strats virtually never apply to pubs. The level of coordination, skill, etc. between an immortal pub and even a tier 2 pro team is vast enough that it's practically two different games.

Like, back in the day some teams like Alliance would get things like Dagon 5 on CM because they're so efficient at getting resources out of the map that they can afford to do things like that. Even if you, personally, are that good at maximizing your farm, it's very rarely a good idea to do that because you need to take the rest of your team into consideration.

Another example is meepo; I haven't seen any pro meepo games lately, but generally at that level supports are going to be on the ball to protect his jungle. At a lot of other levels, as a 4-5 you can just drop a sentry in every one of his camps and for six minutes he's not going to get any farm out of that.

this is a really bad post and im on mobile or id really explain why but dont be a goon hipster, just buy the ridiculously stupid efficient item that creates gold out of thin air on the ogre hero

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Midas is stronger on Ogre and he benefits a lot from both the xp and the gold. Pub games can definitely stall out sometimes, and in that case having his insane level 25 talent and some powerful multicasting items will massively increase your impact.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

The problem with getting midas on Ogre is that it has a really bad build-up, and unless you have someone on your team who is willing to go HARD 5, it's gonna constantly get delayed.

Kild posted:

Literally incorrect, it's a 50/50 pickup in pro games yesterday and the hero has lost several games buying midas and won several without it. The games where the ogre got midas are games where the Ogre absolutely pops off and can get the item really quickly (notable examples are one of OG's games, not even they get midas every game, and Alliance getting it in that first game vs Secret). If you can get it very very quickly it's good, sure, but that won't happen most games, especially when you need to pick up the slack on wards.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The key to ogre midas first is to pick him along side a core like bloodseeker who wants the lane farm but is also good at farming the enemy leshrac/CM/insert squishy hero camp every minute. If you can get 5 kills or assists in 5 minutes its suddenly not stupid to rush. That said I'd still get soul ring and brown boots first

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Ambivalent posted:

this is a really bad post and im on mobile or id really explain why but dont be a goon hipster, just buy the ridiculously stupid efficient item that creates gold out of thin air on the ogre hero

I'm in tryhard tier, I am incapable of assesing dota in terms of what might be fun and only in what is effective. :geno:

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

I feel like Midas ogre’s pretty legit. It’s not too hard to meander into it even while solo buying wards and full-time supporting because he’s got a 90gpm talent at 10.

As other posters mentioned, it’s really valuable for the experience, and let’s you scale quite dangerously into the midgame.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

DNK posted:

I feel like Midas ogre’s pretty legit. It’s not too hard to meander into it even while solo buying wards and full-time supporting because he’s got a 90gpm talent at 10.

As other posters mentioned, it’s really valuable for the experience, and let’s you scale quite dangerously into the midgame.

ahhhhh don't get the GPM talent

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

DNK posted:

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

ahhhhh don't get the GPM talent

This. Also, Midas has the same pacing as things like blink, etc on heroes like Earthshaker. Except when you get it, you immediately get somewhere between 160 and 480 gold back, but gain nothing in team fight and you still don't have any mobility.

I don't know the answer, as it's a real tossup if you ask me. If feel a lot better about it if I'm roaming and banking and look up and have 1200 gold banked because some core has been dragging me around running rough over supports and hard carries, but if that's happening, it feels like there's no wrong move.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Don’t get GPM and don’t get Midas? What, you people hate money? :raise:

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Cuntellectual posted:

while I agree with this I would not characterize "buying a midas" as a pro strat. it's just a thing you do on the hero because he gets like, at least double value out of it. If anything the lack of coordination on the other team makes it easier to get away with buying an item that does not actually do anything beyond give you gold, because they're less likely to recognize this and punish you for it and will most likely be very surprised when you convert that midas into a 15 minute hex stick and gently caress up their whole team with it.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Greaves Ogre has a 60%+ winrate and if that's not motivation enough to buy it I don't know what is

Yea but Rapier Ogre has an 87% win rate :colbert:

I can definitely understand both sides of the arguments for & against Ogre Midas though. I'll just have to play and give both a shot.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Does anyone actually play All Random?

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

IronicDongz posted:

Single draft is my favorite format.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

cock hero flux posted:

while I agree with this I would not characterize "buying a midas" as a pro strat. it's just a thing you do on the hero because he gets like, at least double value out of it. If anything the lack of coordination on the other team makes it easier to get away with buying an item that does not actually do anything beyond give you gold, because they're less likely to recognize this and punish you for it and will most likely be very surprised when you convert that midas into a 15 minute hex stick and gently caress up their whole team with it.

You might as well buy a dagon instead and just zap supports or something at that point.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

IronicDongz posted:

these are truly dark times

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Dark Willow aghs is still insanely strong. I killed a Medusa that had a networth of like 50,000. I did take the attack speed talent but it's a little weird killing their position 1 & 2 at the 60min mark as pos 5.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Related: willow is insanely OP in overthrow

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i aint played for a long time but willow was insanely op in general. the ghost thing kills everything instantly l;ol

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
u see the ghost thing come out, then there's some kind of poo poo on the floor, then ur dead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

ElGroucho posted:

wow very insightful

i didn't think you were actually culpable for said lost lane until you said this lol

ElGroucho posted:

I am

But I didn't lose it for my team all by my lonesome

you shouldn't think like this if you actually want to win. at least 40% of your team will usually be complete gently caress-ups so it's generally bad to think "well i wasn't as bad as THIS dude". of course they're bad, you're supposed to carry them

Minorkos fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Aug 18, 2019