Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Super Rad posted:

Sticky napalm + shackles remains one of, if not the most broken combos in AD

Dusa mana shield + storm overcharge is broken as hell since a toggle triggers the buff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Abba manta applying avernus stacks is low key the most broken thing about this patch and I will continue to abuse it in my awful 2k mmr matches until it’s nerfed

Phase echo manta and click2win

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

IronicDongz posted:

Does anyone actually play All Random?

Yes. All Random, Single Draft, and Ability Draft unironically have the best matchmaking pools because all the sweatys and retards drift towards turbo and the various forms of All Pick. I enjoy these modes most with parties because your way more likely to get a fun and chill game of dota to play with your friends.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Makes me really sad that they’ve cleaned up a lot of the goofier ability draft interactions. RIP dusa mana shield triggering over charge and aftershock

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

jarlywarly posted:

Play bots until you stomp with your chosen heroes/lanes, watch Purge's videos

Mute everyone, play your placement games.

There are bad players who have been playing for a while, they're still bad but they have being bad experience so they will rage at you.

I’d recommend BSJ over Purge for learning

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
The problem with support is laning is too easy now. Between shrines, shekels, free TPs, and comeback gold, it feels like there’s low impact for zoning and ganking in the early game. Especially against the offlane.

I don’t think the solution is to remove all of those, as shrines and runes add interesting things to do on the map.

Tone down bonus resources from ending kill streaks, and get rid of every single gold or XP gain talent is what I’m trying to say.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
dota has officially jumped the shark with rng item drops

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
The matchmaking has basically killed the game for my group - if you have a party with a difference in MMR (like 1.5-2k below the lowest and highest players in the party) you get consistently awful matches. It’s not even the typical “oh cool our lowest ranked player instalocked a bad mid matchup vs their highest ranked” its the absolute onslaught of lovely smurfs and legitimately brand new players.

Maybe it’s the bottom of the player community falling out and were all just archon trash getting what we deserve, but it’s noticeably worse than it was a few years ago and it’s just not fun to play unless you’re solo or in a full stack.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
my favorite part about playing dota is deciding if I want to play with the boys (who are a mix of heralds and sub 2k behavior scores) and have awful games but with friends, or play solo and have good but boring games. When you have a party with a bad comp it absolutely nukes matchmaking - we probably match with the same pool of 20 people every night on NA east

A concede button would go a long way - sure there are plenty of games where the enemy team can throw or you can claw your way back, but sometimes you just have one or more players who are mentally checked out, tilted, or intentionally feeding and in all these scenarios the best option is to just go next

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
it wasn’t uam-walk smdh

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Meepo isn’t actually that hard to play at a basic level. If you can play any illusion carry you can probably play meepo just fine. It’s harder now that they took away his absurd XP gain, but as long as you can shift click control groups through your farming patterns and then mash tab/w/sometimes q when you’re fighting you’ll get along well enough to do hero challenge stuff.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Ability draft is super super fun but like 90% of games are won or lost depending on how well your team focuses on denial picks. Depending on what is in the pool, it can be way more
Important to deny the enemy team from getting certain combos or even just certain skills (aftershock, overload, and a number of passives come to mind here as skills that become totally broken when taken in AD)

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

feedtheid posted:

The game is built to tilt you. The faster you realize “wtf why’d you die” is super loving toxic and that you could just say “hey man, try to make sure to toggle rot after your hooks so Rubick can’t get a steal” the game would be a better place. I’ve had multiple 4-man mute games in a row this weekend, and it’s just the loving worst. I’d take radio silence over their bullshit any day.

It’s obviously internet tough guy anonymity but the world and DOTA could use a lot more kindness and positivity - it’s just hard to see past others’ mistakes. Can’t control them; can control yourself and your own play. No idea if I’m preaching to the choir, here.

Honestly even helpful advice, unless someone has already shown to be friendly or receptive to it, can be detrimental. Doubly so if the advice is up for interpretation like “you should be pushing/farming/rotating on this part of the map” and not just “this is a fact about xyz skill”

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Wait they’re not doubling up the extra prize pool money from last years book with this years TI?

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

lol what a rip off - it would have been cool as hell if they just said “gently caress it 60m prize pool” but I guess why bother when you can just take the bag and run

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
There’s a really stark difference between the bottom tiers - the jump in how chill and generally competent players are between herald/guardian and archon/legend is really extreme. 2.5-3k games are probably rough for someone with better mechanics and awareness, but they’re a far cry from the absolute rage/tilt/mental fuckfest that is sub-1k dota l

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
I think I’m the only person who prefers the WC3 aesthetic to the weird Pixar thing they’re going with for new heros

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Jenkins commentating <100mmr pubs is the absolute pinnacle of dota 2 YouTube content

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
I think they changed it at some point but Medusa’s mana shield used to count as a spell cast for Storm spirits overcharge, having the two of those together was like the most broken shot ever.

The other wild AD combo that comes to mind is sticky napalm + the earth shaker passive on cast aoe stun

I really like AD but it can be very difficult because 75% of games are won in the draft, and it is often just as much about denying the enemy team strong skills as much as it is building a good combo for yourself.

I wish that a part of the draft was selecting your hero too

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
LPQ is unironically better than sub 1k dota. They have more incentive to win and less autonomy in picks so it usually works out better

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
I mean I don’t think there’s a lot of nuance to some of these situations. Is someone using gamer words in in game chat? Did they destroy all their items? Did they place 20 sentries in the fountain? Just throw a 6 hour at them and call it a day. You may need a computer janitor to understand the finer nuances of “is my mid intentionally feeding” but some poo poo is like “nope you’re just a babby”

It’s generally unpopular but id also love to see them finally add a concede option. Sure there are some games where a team throws away a huge insurmountable lead or someone throws the team on their back and 1v5s their way to a win, but for every game like that there’s way more where enough of the team has mentally quit and the in game experience has degraded to a point that it’s not worth sticking out the toxicity for the rest of the match and it would be better for all parties involved if you could just call it.

causticBeet fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Dec 20, 2021

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
my favorite league hero is the one that some weirdo artist made based on a girl he was orbiting without their knowledge

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

https://step-nie.medium.com/the-problem-with-seraphine-58dc16c07e79

Edit - beat but so cringe it’s worth posting twice. As much as I think the hero design for some of the newer dota heros is corny and doesn’t mesh with existing designs (more ugly fish men please) I am very glad we don’t have heros with twitters where they larp as sad brained simp bait

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
New hero gets some credit for not being some weird cute design but then loses some for being another offlaner with wacky line abilities. It feels like they they have two people designing heros for the last few years and one is some dude who got fired from Riot and the other is a tidehunter player who just learned how to implement vector targeting.

Patch overall feels underwhelming but I can’t pinpoint if it’s actually bad or if I just got myself hyped up because I wanted to see something interesting. They have introduced a lot of new systems in the last few years and it would be cool to see iterations on stuff like aghs shard and neutral items (which are still bad and dumb) instead of an incredibly “meh” jungle update and a disappointing techies rework.

causticBeet fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Feb 26, 2022

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
primal beast should get his shard ability by default and should have an aghs that gives him armor while channeling ult and the ability to pick up and smash 2 heros together

this is balanced by the fact that his name rhymes with “primal yeast” and this is funny to say

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Under lord ult rework is low key the best part of this patch. It has so much amazing utility for ganks fighting and pushing, it’s like you’re wisp but not just a banana rider.

First game playing it I threw it down right next to our fountain as soon as I hit 6 and the enemy safe lane both immediately channeled through and fed. GOTY.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
I’ve played with a handful of games with a techies mid and it seems serviceable, but in the same way that you can take almost any 4 or 5 with some team fight ability and lane presence mid and probably do well enough if you have a good game and aren’t like 9k mmr or whatever. I’d rather have him on my team in a not-mid role.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
drat if only there were some way that ur pos3 could stop the enemy pos5 from snowballing super hard and getting a really early blink dagger

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
I used to play with a friend of a friend who was honest to god 50mmr on their main account and it was always…. Interesting. Let me tell you how good it is for party morale when the 50mmr dude starts criticizing other peoples gameplay decisions.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
That’s cool they should just make it a thing in all games and have it require 5/5 votes or some poo poo

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Sab669 posted:

That surprises me. HOTS was such its own thing with no items, no last hitting, global EXP. Can't imagine going from that to choosing DOTA, hah

HOTS exists in this weird space where it has enough mechanical depth to scare away casual players but it’s kind of garbage so anyone who has any interest in mobas will probably just go play league or dota anyways. There is fun to be had from a “this sure is blizzard IP and some of the buttons are fun to press” perspective but blizz definitely misjudged how important mechanics like last hitting, XP, and items were to the moba gameplay loop and ended up making a game that no one wants.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
smoke ganks are irrelevant at my low mmr because even if you get a pickoff there’s a 90% chance your team will just go back to farming small camps on your side of the map anyways

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
get rid of neutral items and make the cool ones just normal items

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
hmm sounds like “communication abuse” to me

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
pro teams can do a lot of cool things but often the whole “pro level communication, positioning, and mechanics” gets lost when the strat trickles down to sub-archon turbo games and let me tell you

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Meepo has a lower skill floor than people think and if you enjoy any illusion carries you should give him a shot. A lot of the actual micro just boils down to “mash tab and W and then tab and Q” or “shift attack move groups of meepos through safe jungle camps.” You can do both of these fairly ungracefully and still dominate because it turns out having like 6 roots and a bunch of burst damage is really good.

The hardest part about playing meepo is just matchups because there’s a lot of stuff that is super unfun to play against and people really love counterpicking meepo.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
they realized they can sell more hats when the heros are either furry bait or waifu bait. It is only a matter of time before we go full league and have fake Twitter accounts for new heros where they post about how sad they are but how happy it would make them if you buy their hats

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
PA seems like a weird place to get stuck in the all hero challenge - you should just go for it PA owns

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Oodles posted:

Come play in herald, no one builds wraith pact.

I really should just put my big boy pants on and play offlane brood.

The cool part about herald will be that your team will build it, they’ll just build it at the wrong time and never have it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

RealityWarCriminal posted:

I'm still 20 bp levels from the hideous CM dog set and I probably wont make it

I saw this poo poo last night and lol it makes me wish I had that “dota 2 hero design guide” collage handy