Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Neurolimal posted:

If you see an opportunity to get Power Cogs and Rolling Thunder you should jump on that ASAP.

this owns and is the second most annoying thing i've been against in AD

#1 was the guy who took rearm and undying's tombstone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
How does HOTS camera drag work? Because I find that DOTA's "move the camera, but also the cursor is going to move as well" to be hot garbage. Camera drag should just lock the cursor on the screen and move the viewport.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

ILL Machina posted:

It works like you want it to, more like middle-click works in browsers, but you're objectively wrong imo. It disappears while you're dragging too. I would like to know where my cursor is plz. I like the feeling of grabbing the ground and moving it and prepping my cursor where I'm trying to click. I just end up edge panning when I play, which is like two games a year but I played a longer stint when they gave away all those heroes. I get that people like the other, but a custom opt-in would be nice. I played an mmo about tanks and they had both and it felt surprisingly well crafted even though it was pretty bad.

Yeah I mistyped what I want it to do. Basically it should be like the "hand" cursor in Photoshop/Acrobat/etc. The cursor should stay positioned over the same point on the map and the viewport should move.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
Luna with a +40 primary attribute aura at level 15 is something, +11% winrate according to dotabuff

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Smythe posted:

If you miss even a single cs with freefarm you can just uninstall basically.

You can try but if you cant farm then you probably lack the mechanical skill to even hit the uninstall button tbh

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
Is mid pudge actually good or am I just in scrub tier where going mid pudge with a quelling blade -> 100 ez last hits at 10:00?

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
Speaking of losing lanes, had a game as CM supporting PA in safe lane vs a Dragon Knight and Leshrac support. What was I supposed to do here? Because what I ended up doing was having Leshrac glued to my side killing me non-stop for the first 8 minutes.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
big day for goofy rear end dota heroes with Snapfire announcement and OG magi winning the arcana vote

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
https://twitter.com/GarlicCorgi/status/1207416093868019714?s=19

power treads are real

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Corla Plankun posted:

Whats the right combination of settings to get both abilities and items on instant-cast?

Right now if I push Q it instantly casts my Q where my mouse is, but if I press an item button it makes me target and click a second time. This is super confusing and I want my items to act like my spells.

there's an enable quickcast for items under the item hotkeys

a tip i learned in a BSJ video: you should try disabling quickcast on some aoe spells, so you still get the indicator before committing. pretty useful on void ult and lina stun, but I don't use it on "line" aoe spells like snapfire's shotgun or qop ult. try it out on different spells and see what you like.

another thing that helped me when i made the jump to quickcast was to also set it on the attack key, to keep everything nice and consistent

Plank Walker fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jul 29, 2020

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Nam Taf posted:

If you want to type emojis on windows, winkey + fullstop will open the emoji menu. You can then type to search inside that, or select from it.
Other OSs also have emoji keyboard shortcuts but I don’t remember them.

I was trying to test this and it wasn't working but then realized it's because I have autohotkey set up to disable the win key when a "Dota 2" window is active and apparently that included this thread lol

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
WC3 dota talk has me wondering if wintermaul wars was actually good or not but i miss playing it either way

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

ILL Machina posted:

This is good and fun, but I think basher and lifesteal and maybe deso were UAMs. My first exposure to orb walking was using abilities like frost arrows that don't draw aggro.

They were all called "orb effects" though, since were implemented by switching some parameters on warcraft 3's orb items' (orb of venom, orb of lightning, etc). The mechanic of only one being able to be applied, and it being the one closest to the front (or back?) of your inventory was in WC3 for some reason, and since dota 2 was a direct port, it had to be carried over, and at some point they named the mechanic of orbs not stacking to "unique attack modifiers".

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
quickcast owns, but you gotta configure it to cast on key press, not key release, and add it to items and attack

my only issue with quickcast was that it removes double click to self-cast and I suck at pressing alt+hotkey to self-cast, but you can set the alt modifier to any other key, so I have it set up to mouse 5 (the "forward" browser button) and even that alone is way better than double click to self-cast

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
Like, even if you don't use quick cast, turning off double tap to self cast and using alt instead is worth it. No longer do I get flamed for accidentally shallow graving myself in the heat of a battle (now I just get flamed for not using it at all)

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

IAMNOTADOCTOR posted:

I genuinely appreciate the effort post, I'll give it a go with your advice on mind this weekend.

Any tips for the laning stage? I just can't quite figure out what's broken about centaur. Most heroes have a easy thing to understand that's brokenly good about them, with centaur i feel I have an okay stun, a okay nuke, an okay passive that's useless past the laning stage and a decent ult that helps my team initiate. I just doesn't click for me what my power spikes are.

But I am a Bad.

The ult is pretty good as is just having way more str gain than any other hero. The nuke and the passive good vs summon and illusion heroes. He's like smythe's description of Underlord, he doesn't do anything but then you win. Also his ult is like underlord's in that it's an initiation ult that always gets used as an escape instead. (at least escaping with centaur ult your carry's not going to be abandoned to die because he was diving instead of getting on the bus)

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
What is precast?

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Smythe posted:

press the button and hover ur mouse over leoric as he rezzes

with actual quickcast, this is just called "hover the mouse over leoric" tho

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
That was just kind of a snide aside, I've rarely witnessed it in my low skill games but you can use it like a Io's relocate to bring your carry and some other teammates to an aggressive position, instead of just always using it to tp to fountain as an escape valve for when a dive goes bad. It's good as an oh poo poo panic button escape but if you have the coordination to use it offensively it can really punish the other team. In pubs though, it's just really hard to get everyone to commit to a mass aggressive tp unless you like just got wiped and are all in base or something, and it requires more setup than Io relocate since you need a creep wave pushing to tp onto, and at least at my MMR there's no correlation between fight location and creep wave location

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
Like in theory you can Underlord ult your whole team to turn a solo push into a full 5 man gank or a free tower, in practice though, your underlord is going to use it to tp all but one of you out of a teamfight that you maybe could have otherwise won

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
Compared to pretty much any other team game a "bad play" in dota is just too punishable and tilting. Like in soccer/rocket league/any "ball" sport, if you mess up the other team scores maybe a single goal at worst, which is bad but not game ending since the game state resets after that goal anyway. Or like CS:GO or other team shooters, you lose a round, but you start a new round and can recover. Not dota though, you gently caress up and now you're losing one or two towers and are playing at a disadvantage, and your team has to adjust their play for the next like 10 minutes to deal with the repercussions of pudge missing that hook or void missing a chrono

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
are there any fun pos 5's now? I've been spamming warlock because his shard is so good but he's so boring. 1.5k mmr, so my other criteria is a guy who can shove a lane since half my games my team decides that taking towers no longer matters so we end up with 3 waves on our side of the river playing whack a mole trying to tp and defend vs 5 instead of counter pushing to relieve pressure

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
High right click damage is another reason I like Shaman pos 5, but too triggering at my MMR when carries think the cast range on shackles is infinite and flame you for not casting it on Axe while he's standing within melee range of you

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
reminds me i need to start playing support snapfire again. had to give her up because my buddy i usually pair always does weird stutter steps when i'm trying to give him the cookie and ends up getting launched 90 degrees to the side instead of at the enemy or away from them

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
the only cosmetic items i care about are the ones that turn horse-riding heroes horses into not-horses, like the big dog for chaos knight

e: and taunts obviously

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
I started using quick cast a year ago, what really helped was also setting the "alt" key modifier to my mouse 5 button (or any mouse button really), since if you're used to double tapping you can't do that anymore, so you'll need to set "smart double tap" and use alt+hotkey to self cast items. For me at least, it's way easier to do with the modifier key on the mouse than trying to squeeze my thumb onto alt and hit one of my spell or item hotkeys.

Also, try using "Quickcast on key down" in "advanced" hotkey settings, set items to quick cast, and under "Options" set "quick attack" and "quick move" as well.

An added benefit of using smart double tap instead of actual double tap to cast is no more cases where you accidentally shallow grave yourself and then get flamed. Now you can just shallow grave no one and get flamed.

Plank Walker fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Aug 31, 2021

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
I'm weird and use ESDF for camera, items are zxcvbn, neutral item is g, abilities are QWR and space for ult (if the hero has a passive ability I remove the hotkey), T and H are 5th and 6th abilities but I don't really play heroes that have more than 4. Then I use AutoHotKey to map alt to like F11 and map that to tp scroll. A is attack move, M4 is "stop", M5 is alt modifier.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
the rage is annoying for a while, but eventually you reach a zen state where you realize the other team is raging against each other too, and that's when the real game begins (typing "?" into all chat is the real game)

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
duo queue is bad, 5 stack is worse in my experience because you have a 75% chance to match up with a team that has some synergy in mind, and a 100% chance your stack just takes comfort picks then dies repeatedly to like grimstroke/lich/kotl ulti combos forever

i need to stop duo queuing with my higher ranked buddy while cavern crawl is going on as well because he just picks cavern heroes and since he's the highest mmr on the team, we get wrecked by their best player sticking to a hero they know

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
It's more that I have maybe time to commit to 1-2 dota matches every few days, and I know the 5 stack I play with is not coordinated or good at drafting. At least in solo queue the enemy team is more likely to be just as bad at drafting and communicating so I'd usually rather stick with that than start at a disadvantage.

Playing duos with my friend is fun when he's sticking to heroes he's played more than once and less fun when he's trying mid, I'd just rather he does that on his own time

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

flashman posted:

Turbos are great for spamming a hero and getting familiar with his battle style against generally farmed dudes.

it would be cool if there was like an "arenas" mode that was basically multiple rounds where you get increasing amounts of skill points and gold to spend and only have to team fight. i guess basically auto chess minus the auto

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

ILL Machina posted:

Rip. And so the royale game too.

If you guys random in aghs lab, you can play heroes you haven't unlocked btw.

And there's some poo poo about passive items that will work while in your backpack... And you can increase your trap room move speed by picking your boots up after someone goes through the doorway ahead of you.

yeah the boots trick is everyone drops their boots, 3 of you stay in the room you just beat, 1 goes in bootless, you turn into animal couriers and can pick up your boots again, and someone has to bring the 1st guy's boots to him

i learned this from someone typing "drop boots" and pinging me for 5 min straight who refused to explain any of it when i asked "why"

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
I just assumed Marci was the same thing but for dota and no i will not watch the anime to confirm or deny this

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
Speaking of 3's, what is even the pos 3 meta? I was on a winstreak a while ago spamming tanky guys like centaur and bristle, but it seems like they suck now but idk who's good. Last time I tried playing non-tanky pos 3 was when bloodseeker 3 was a thing and I'd win lane a lot with him but couldn't really close out games since I'm more comfortable taking up space and keeping pressure on objectives than hunting for kills

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Nichael posted:

Sometimes when I look at a clock in real life, and see it's "X:53", I think I have to stack.

if your clock reads "X:53"... you might just be the president

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
there's 3 techies, so they should be separately controllable, meepo style

e: the actual techies rework will just be anime skins and a melodramatic "do you love me" voice line

Plank Walker fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Feb 20, 2022

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
If you haven't already, use quickcast. I switched about a year ago and felt like a god the first couple games that it clicked. Also turning off double click to self cast and using alt+hotkey instead changed my dazzle games from "getting flamed for accidentally self casting grave" to "getting flamed for not graving the guy 2 screens away" (also I mapped the "alt" modifier to a mouse button since my hands can not handle alt+q/w/e/r at all)

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
Try moving alt key modifier to a mouse button (it's somewhere in the settings). Some people recommend leaving aoe abilities on non-quickcast, but I recommend just setting it for all (and on key down). Really helps you avoid trying to line up e.g. the perfect lina stun and just casting it instead.

Can't speak to you on hotkeys I'm a weirdo ESDF camera panner

If you do go the quickcast route, be sure to set it for attacks too (assuming you use an attack button vs just right clicking everything)

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Sab669 posted:

I use Mouse 4 for Discord chat and Mouse 5 for in-game voice chat :(

hmm that's unfortunate, I use mouse 4 for stop, mouse 5 for "alt", but also use autohotkey to map the windows key to F13 which i then use for chat and caps lock to F14 which i use for "directional move"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

ILL Machina posted:

all you wasd camera people please dont share your brain worms my whole day is ruined now

is esdf ok?