Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

User Error posted:

People keep telling me I did a good job and saved his life but it feels weird. I don't like being the center of attention and I feel like I just followed a few directions and pushed a button.

Fine, you only followed a few directions and pushed a button, but clearly nobody else did so, and doing that saved the guy's life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Biscuits fresh out of the oven? Check.
Fresh made cole slaw? Check.
Best pieces of chicken fresh out of the fryer? Check.
Any loving dessert I wanted? Check check check.

Ah those were the days, can't eat like that anymore lol. I could down a side container of cole slaw in one gulp.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

IOwnCalculus posted:

Fine, you only followed a few directions and pushed a button, but clearly nobody else did so, and doing that saved the guy's life.

P much. Even doctors will use an AED at the first sign of trouble. Doing something is better than not. I only used the AED in our ambulance 1 time in 4 years.

You're pretty much a doctor.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

IOwnCalculus posted:

Plus, that seems to be something a lot of people can't manage in an emergency situation. It takes remaining calm.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I worked at KFC frying chicken when I was a kid and it was the most stress free fun job I've ever had :shrug:

[e] plus I ate whatever the hell I wanted too, and took chicken home daily.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmRQBugNDGQ

I want to get off Colonel Sanders' wild ride

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

What Darchangel said. Why would I stress myself the gently caress out for $12hr when I could go to Chik-fil-a and fry chicken for the same amount with literally no stress and free chicken sammiches.

well for one, stinking of fried food is terrible, especially chicken

i mean it's great to eat but you dont wanna have that stank on ya

in other news, i witnessed a 30-something year old adult male using a razor scooter to get from the factory to the parking lot and realized it's absolutely surreal to see someone that old using one

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

BraveUlysses posted:

well for one, stinking of fried food is terrible, especially chicken

i mean it's great to eat but you dont wanna have that stank on ya

in other news, i witnessed a 30-something year old adult male using a razor scooter to get from the factory to the parking lot and realized it's absolutely surreal to see someone that old using one

That dude knows what’s up

Though I use a longboard to run to the party store next to work so what do I know

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004

User Error posted:

It was weird.

I don't post much and stay away from the lime light as well but I feel compelled to say thank you for having the humanity and sense of mind enough to help someone in distress. I can only hope I would do the same

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

User Error posted:

A guy at work had a heart attack today and I used the AED on him and he came back to life. It was weird.

He blacked out while driving a forklift with his foot on the gas and hit a semi truck about 3 feet from the fuel tank. Could have been much worse.

I dunno, I don't post here much and y'all don't know me but I had to tell someone. People keep telling me I did a good job and saved his life but it feels weird. I don't like being the center of attention and I feel like I just followed a few directions and pushed a button.

Glad there weren't any user errors

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

You had better luck than the last one I had to help with a few years ago. Guy had a heart attack at the wheel of his truck, crashed into a bunch of trees and that’s where we found him on the side of the road. Gave myself a shoulder injury trying to catch a 120+kg man falling out of a truck cab before he smashed his skull open on the broken bits of truck and we did CPR on him for about 25 mins before the ambo got there and they took over.

He didn’t make it out of the ER and I got reamed out at work for not following safe manual handling principles and getting injured....

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

User Error posted:

I don't like being the center of attention and I feel like I just followed a few directions and pushed a button.

You're exactly the person AEDs were designed for, and you upheld your end of the bargain. You're the success story that's told at every single company first-aid/AED training session (I've sat through many). Nicely done.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I hope my colleagues are up to that task when I inevitably stress out and have a heart attack 4 feet away from the AED but I have a feeling they'll call a series of meetings to address the body in the walkway first.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

User Error posted:

A guy at work had a heart attack today and I used the AED on him and he came back to life. It was weird.

He blacked out while driving a forklift with his foot on the gas and hit a semi truck about 3 feet from the fuel tank. Could have been much worse.

I dunno, I don't post here much and y'all don't know me but I had to tell someone. People keep telling me I did a good job and saved his life but it feels weird. I don't like being the center of attention and I feel like I just followed a few directions and pushed a button.

It's been said, but you remained calm and acted quickly. You saved a guy's life. Had someone waited for paramedics to show up, he would likely be dead. If someone was around that knew CPR and kept a cool head, he'd have a better chance than waiting on paramedics, but an AED is pretty effective when used quickly (within 1-2 minutes) with the most common type of heart attack.

Kudos for acting fast and staying calm. A lot of people would panic, most would just stand around and go "uh, is anyone gonna call 911?".

Though if he had hit the fuel tank on the truck.. you'd just have a mess to clean up and a (more) pissed off truck driver. Diesel is really difficult to ignite. It could have been far worse for sure, but it wouldn't have been because of a punctured diesel tank.

cakesmith handyman posted:

I hope my colleagues are up to that task when I inevitably stress out and have a heart attack 4 feet away from the AED but I have a feeling they'll call a series of meetings to address the body in the walkway first.

If I didn't already know you were British, that would have been a dead giveaway. :haw:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Well... I suspect I have seriously hosed up.

*shrug*

It is what it is now. I am single now so Ill just deal

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Well... I suspect I have seriously hosed up.

Is that: 'I bought yet another restoration project to go with the two already on my drive, despite getting an ultimatum to not buy any more broken vehicles'?

Or

'How do you hide a body?'

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

spog posted:

Is that: 'I bought yet another restoration project to go with the two already on my drive, despite getting an ultimatum to not buy any more broken vehicles'?

Or

'How do you hide a body?'

Neither this time. Broke up late last week and I think I seriously said something completely wrong and hurtful to someone else that I will deeply regret.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Neither this time. Broke up late last week and I think I seriously said something completely wrong and hurtful to someone else that I will deeply regret.

Hasn't everybody done this at least once?. Just apologise and give it time and try to get on with everything else and try not to do the same thing again...

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

At least once? I seem to pick women who I know when it comes down to it will be able to prod me to such a point I say horrible things so I've done it a whole bunch of times. People can be horrible and when emotions run high things get said, likely true things but horrible hurtful shite overall.

Kinda hard to de-escalate some situations though when someone's going at you. I don't regret any of it though.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Tomarse posted:

Hasn't everybody done this at least once?.

Just once? I cant even think of how many times Ive done it

quote:

Just apologise and give it time and try to get on with everything else and try not to do the same thing again...

I wish it was that straightforward.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
It probably isn't, and bridges may be burnt and you may never be forgiven. But really, just apologizing and trying to learn/never do it again/never do it to someone else is really all you can really do besides suffer lifelong regret.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

User Error posted:

You saved a man's life.

Even if you don't think you did much, you did. Because of you, Tiny Tim will not go hungry and fatherless this Christmas and for many more to come.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
My wife just used the word "schmoo" in conversation. I'm so proud.

User Error posted:

Grab a beer and a buddy and talk it over. Experiences like these can be weird and the effects can manifest themselves in strange ways.

You certainly deserve all the praise coming your way, but I can understand you not wanting it.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I find the best way to get through life is to just build up an impenetrable wall free of emotion, to bottle up and permanently store away any negative feelings, and to dull myself to the horrors of the world, self-inflicted or not. It works pretty well and I'm a pretty happy dude :cool:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Siochain posted:

Heavy loving weekend. Buried my sister-in-law, who's been in my life for most of it (30 plus years). Cancers a bitch.
Got together with family - lots of laughing, lots of crying, and lots of drinking. I feel a little better about it, but poo poo still sucks.

Anyways, go hug your loved ones.

poo poo sucks, yo. We buried my uncle on Tuesday. Made Thanksgiving real weird.

CommieGIR posted:

I've had this happen twice this week: I have 10 years of IT experience and worked for various big name companies. Plus I'm a veteran :911:

No, I don't want to do desktop support for $12/hr.

That poo poo never stops. I still get recruiters trying to pick me up for six month desktop support contracts via LinkedIn.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Nov 29, 2017

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
"Hello bolind,

I see that you have a number of multi-year employments in the greater Copenhagen area, and that you are currently employed.
How would you like a four month contract in southern Belgium?

Sincerely,

Coked-out LinkedIn Recruiter."

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Olympic Mathlete posted:

At least once? I seem to pick women who I know when it comes down to it will be able to prod me to such a point I say horrible things so I've done it a whole bunch of times. People can be horrible and when emotions run high things get said, likely true things but horrible hurtful shite overall.

Kinda hard to de-escalate some situations though when someone's going at you. I don't regret any of it though.

If you blurt out horrible poo poo to your SO just because you're mad you must not have wanted to be with that person anyway tbh. And that goes both ways.

It's called having respect for the person you love. If you can't do that then you will never be able to sustain a long term relationship.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

If you blurt out horrible poo poo to your SO just because you're mad you must not have wanted to be with that person anyway tbh. And that goes both ways.

It's called having respect for the person you love. If you can't do that then you will never be able to sustain a long term relationship.

Leica's on a roll with "right answers" lately!

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
CT said it was to someone else. IE broke up with partner already, maybe took it out on a 3rd party.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Tru, there's a reason they're exes.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

bolind posted:

My wife just used the word "schmoo" in conversation. I'm so proud.

What y'all do behind closed doors is your business, man

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

redgubbinz posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmRQBugNDGQ

I want to get off Colonel Sanders' wild ride

At least there's some real humor and half decent acting there. I've seen so much worse training videos/tests/etc.

Liquid Communism posted:

That poo poo never stops. I still get recruiters trying to pick me up for six month desktop support contracts via LinkedIn.

That poo poo, too. I'm almost 50 and have a house and a family. gently caress your short term contract. Screw you and the outsourcing mentality.
And they can't seem to figure out why their workers are such poo poo.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

the only thing i get on linkedin are recruiters who want me to come work for their company doing the same or similar job for about 10% less than what i currently make, which is already $40,000 under the market average for someone with my skills

I like to tell them that I'll need a $40,000 raise to make me leave my awesome company and it works great

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

the only thing i get on linkedin are recruiters who want me to come work for their company doing the same or similar job for about 10% less than what i currently make, which is already $40,000 under the market average for someone with my skills

I like to tell them that I'll need a $40,000 raise to make me leave my awesome company and it works great

Not a recruiter, but a friend that I used to work for wanted me to come back and be a project manager. I said that it would take a lot of incentive to take me back out of IT and into field work in the Arizona sun again, and his response was that he would just throw money at me until I accepted. I told him what I was currently making (more than double what I was making when I left the company he works for), and all he could respond with was... "Oh.. nevermind".

I pretty much just ignore all the LinkdIn recruiters. I think they are hunting for people who are underpaid and/or unhappy where they currently are, so a lowball offer that gets them out of that position might be attractive enough to work once in a while, and since it's online, they don't really have to expend much of an effort at all to try.

I could get a fairly nice raise by moving to one of those contractor positions that they offer me sometimes.. until I factor in the cost of my benefits including sick time and vacation, and suddenly it's not a raise anymore.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

A couple years ago, Amazon had the worst recruiters. I'd get like four or five messages a day from them.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

The Locator posted:

Not a recruiter, but a friend that I used to work for wanted me to come back and be a project manager. I said that it would take a lot of incentive to take me back out of IT and into field work in the Arizona sun again, and his response was that he would just throw money at me until I accepted. I told him what I was currently making (more than double what I was making when I left the company he works for), and all he could respond with was... "Oh.. nevermind".

I pretty much just ignore all the LinkdIn recruiters. I think they are hunting for people who are underpaid and/or unhappy where they currently are, so a lowball offer that gets them out of that position might be attractive enough to work once in a while, and since it's online, they don't really have to expend much of an effort at all to try.

I could get a fairly nice raise by moving to one of those contractor positions that they offer me sometimes.. until I factor in the cost of my benefits including sick time and vacation, and suddenly it's not a raise anymore.

Exactly.

That being said, my wife is a nurse so we use the insurance through her workplace because it's v good so it would still be kind of a raise for me, but i like to assign a fiscal value to things i do and have at work. For instance, my ability to come in any time between 4a and 10:30a is worth $10,000 to me because the missus works midnights and as such i'm routinely up until 4a. A close drive is worth probably $10,000/yr to me because i loving hate driving and it costs me $130/wk to fuel my current 40mi/day commute. Being able to wear jeans and t-shirts is worth $5,000 to me because now I dont have to update my wardrobe with nicer clothes that cost more money, i dont have to spend 10 minutes picking an outfit in the morning, and im wicked fuckin comfortable while chilling in my hoodie/tshirt/jeans at my desk. then theres smaller stuff like "does the office provide free snacks/soda/coffee/have a good environment, so for me that means i'm willing to make up to around $20k less than the market average, or a $20k raise from my current, to be tempted to take a different job than what i currently have

so if some company down the street from my house offered me a job for $30k less than market average but with all the perks that i currently have, it'd be hard not to take that.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

A couple years ago, Amazon had the worst recruiters. I'd get like four or five messages a day from them.

oh, they still do. gently caress amazon forever, their work environment and structure sucks rear end, their pay is mediocre when factoring in the fact that they expect 10-20hr of over time every week, and jeff bezos can eat my anus

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Deleted my linkedin after the breach

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Deleted my linkedin after the breach

I feel like the LinkedIn for me is like a crutch, I should probably delete it because the sort of "they'll come to me!" fantasy is pretty strong.

They do come to me, but it's basically just all lovely recruiters. I feel like the good stuff has to be chased at least a bit.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Exactly.

That being said, my wife is a nurse so we use the insurance through her workplace because it's v good so it would still be kind of a raise for me, but i like to assign a fiscal value to things i do and have at work. For instance, my ability to come in any time between 4a and 10:30a is worth $10,000 to me because the missus works midnights and as such i'm routinely up until 4a. A close drive is worth probably $10,000/yr to me because i loving hate driving and it costs me $130/wk to fuel my current 40mi/day commute. Being able to wear jeans and t-shirts is worth $5,000 to me because now I dont have to update my wardrobe with nicer clothes that cost more money, i dont have to spend 10 minutes picking an outfit in the morning, and im wicked fuckin comfortable while chilling in my hoodie/tshirt/jeans at my desk. then theres smaller stuff like "does the office provide free snacks/soda/coffee/have a good environment, so for me that means i'm willing to make up to around $20k less than the market average, or a $20k raise from my current, to be tempted to take a different job than what i currently have

so if some company down the street from my house offered me a job for $30k less than market average but with all the perks that i currently have, it'd be hard not to take that.

oh, they still do. gently caress amazon forever, their work environment and structure sucks rear end, their pay is mediocre when factoring in the fact that they expect 10-20hr of over time every week, and jeff bezos can eat my anus

how the hell are you spending 130/week on gas to drive 40mi a day

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

BraveUlysses posted:

how the hell are you spending 130/week on gas to drive 40mi a day

premium gas is $3.14 and i dont get very good gas mileage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

oh wait i spend more like $100/wk on gas, it's around $50 to fill up and i usually grab a pack of cigarettes, that's why i was thinking it was higher

• Locked thread