Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Alright, question for the electrical nerds. All the wiring in the Nova is going to be getting redone (eventually) and while I've been gathering ideas, I'm still fuzzy on some parts.

I'm going to move the battery to the trunk so that will mean running a cable from there back up to the starter. I may do a little power distribution center/relay block under the hood to send power out to fans, lights, etc.

Question is how do I get power to the distro block. Feed it off the starter post the battery is feeding? Split it before the starter with a terminal post (still not super sure what those are for)? Something else?

Just looking for some ideas.

Split from a terminal post or battery cutoff switch that'll feed both the starter and the terminal/fuse block.

Really, the using the starter pole as a terminal post isnt the worst idea, but would probably make your wiring less modular and more of a pain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

InitialDave posted:

I do wonder, seeing as the people we normally get to talk to are at least somewhat intelligent: Does the average American understand how totally hosed their healthcare system is, or the universal self-reporting income tax stuff?

Not the average one, but I certainly do. :smith:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Can't discuss anything here.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

DICK DICER posted:

You can discuss deez nuts

Metric or Standard?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Adiabatic posted:

Maybe you cant.

I'm living in the middle of the country wide version of Darkest Sketch, its damned worth discussing, and no amount of mindfulness meditation is going to change that reality.

And I generate legitimate car content :colbert:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Have you tried LSD?

That'll go over well on my next Security Screening. And no, I don't drink, smoke, or do drugs. Personal preference.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Adiabatic posted:

Im joking with you boo boo :)

God drat it Yogi.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

I'm far from a goody good boy. The difference is: I severely dislike how alcohol makes my brain feel, I work in sectors where if it ever got out that I took drugs, I'd be ruined. Permanently. I have severe asthma (thanks Air Force) so smoking is a no, and Audi/VW is an expensive enough hobby without spending it on vices like that.

Seriously, I've got....like 5 Audis now. That's more expensive than a drug habit/drinking habit as it is, and makes me happier anyways. Cars are my meditation, and I'm just a realist at heart, but makes me appear like a pessimist to everyone else.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Nov 2, 2017

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Non Autosports sports are boring.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Larrymer posted:

College football is good.

College football is a leech on Collegiate funding and College programs for the benefit of the NFL.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

That's cool as long as the NFL has a farm system to get players from :)

No its not. And that's about as far as I'll go with it. If the NFL wants to farm players, it can readily afford to make its own system. gently caress off my Public Education system.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Whatever man, it's been that way forever and is not going to change. The NFL is awesome and so is college football.

Appeals to Tradition is a logical fallacy, you know that right?

gently caress football, gently caress the NFL using our Education System as its free-to-them recruiting system, and gently caress the whole thing for leeching on ACTUAL needs of college students in favor of bread and circuses for the rich and wealthy to dip their hands into to keep themselves rich.

http://www.businessinsider.com/university-new-hampshire-football-stadium-scoreboard-librarian-donated-million-dollar-estate-2016-9

quote:

Alumna Claire Cortese wrote a blog post vilifying the school's decision, identifying UNH's art and photography departments, and student publications — which have received funding cuts in recent years — as more worthy recipients of Morin's money. She also drew attention to the fact that the school just completed a $25 million renovation of the football stadium.

"Ultimately, the school's administrative decision to spend a quarter of Morin's generous donation on a inconsequential trinket for the athletic department is a complete disgrace to the spirit and memory of Robert Morin," Cortese wrote. "As a wildcat, I feel deeply saddened, and honestly completely ashamed of my alma mater for this."

gently caress your sport. You have to face this, and this is not a matter of me being a pessimist: You are actively contributing and cheering for the crushing of public education so you can watch a game.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2017-01-04/college-football-s-top-teams-are-built-on-crippling-debt
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/robert-greenwald/college-football-is-steal_b_8282690.html

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Jesus Christ. Aren't you leaving the country anyway? Guess you won't have to care anymore then huh.

Does that make it okay then? I'm leaving, ergo the money suck that is college football is okay?

I know I'm being an rear end in a top hat here, but c'mon now. You don't get to openly say "HOORAY COLLEGE FOOTBALL!" and then ignore the very real consequences of the sport you praise will have on generations to come because you wanted to watch a game.

Changing that viewpoint is essential to changing the overall ethos. Its not about me being an rear end in a top hat, which I get that I am, its about facing the reality that you are creating through ignoring what its actually doing to the country at large.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I can't do in depth MMOs that require long play periods anymore. World of Tanks and World of Warships is the most I can do.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

DesperateDan posted:

Apologies in advance

For fucks sake i have to pull the loving battery because i left my loving dashcam running for a drat week because my stupid loving head thought it was wired to a circuit that goes off with the ignition. Now on the first actual loving cold day of the year i have to drag an old battery and tools back out to where im parked streets a loving way so i can try and limp it to do a fraudulent warranty return, or drag it back and see if a wall charger will do. Oh look, its at 2 loving volts. And im due to be working 15 minutes a loving go. And i already knocked a knuckle. gently caress

Our brief low temperatures already claimed one battery for me too. Next Junk Yard run I'm gonna take a couple cores and pick up a few used ones.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

DesperateDan posted:

Got stuck in traffic on my way there and i just loving lost all remaining control and bawled my eyes out while driving and telling him he would be okay. He talked back. He's my buddy. Think I might have a speeding ticket on the way, if I haven't the camera was off or faulty.

Emergency vet took him in and gave him some pain relief after a quick exam, they are going to try squeezing the piss out of him, and if that fails then x-ray/bloods/catheter. Been a few hours and no news is good news, waiting till tonight for a full update. House feels so loving empty without him around.

We went through this with two of our cats. Solution for us was to feed both wet food once a day and access to dry food throughout the day.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Seat Safety Switch posted:

My biggest worry would be spilled coolant or something like that. Cats have the world's worst kidney system, and antifreeze could probably really screw up a cat.

Most modern antifreeze has a really nasty bitterant that cat's won't touch, so don't worry too much about that.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

spog posted:

A good time to nail that fucker to the wall as this poo poo is in the news today:

(bonus 'I am going to start running with scissors' pic of the paramedic involved)

She can block my drive all week if she wants.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Somewhat Heroic posted:

If you don't get the following references you should be banned from AI:
  • I like the tuna
  • Overnight parts from Japan
  • I live my life a quarter mile at a time
  • Too soon, Junior
  • NAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWS :kingsley:
  • granny shiftin, not double clutching like you should

please add to this list.

Guess I'm banned then.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Its all terrible car stuff. Ronin was a better car movie.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

keykey posted:

I couldn't agree more. The franchise has gone full circle in every movie, sometimes they even pulled off a 720 and triple salchow, but still stuck the landing.

:obama: Its terrible car stuff.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Dannywilson posted:

Ronin is probably the best modern car movie in the way that Heat is probably the best modern guns movie. But neither of them are popcorn movies, which is what the FATF franchise movies are from 3 onward. Yes, the first two are really, really bad, but after Justin Lin took the helm, he turned it into something you could kinda turn your brain off, watch, and be entertained; it just happened to also have cars and over-the-top stunts with cars.

And that's why I can't watch them.

Don't get me wrong, I get WHY people like FATF. I do. But I can't do that. I'm just that big of a nerd. Its also why I don't go watch things in theater anymore.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
EDIT: Wrong thread.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Adiabatic posted:

ILLUMINATI BIG GOVERNMENT NEPOTISM NOT IN MY MURICA BAN ADIABATIC

I'm telling The President on you!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Sorry I can't fulfill your dreams, but don't worry, you always have your raging hate-boner to fall back on.

Powershift posted:

If you can't enjoy the FNF movies simply because of how silly they are you have no soul.

drat it, they've figured me out, I'm an atheist. Don't tell the Inquisition on me.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

BraveUlysses posted:

can't hear you, stuck too far up my own rear end

Tell me how you really feel.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Wrar posted:

I saw one FATF film and it was incredibly dumb with a 100 mile runway. I mean they're fun in a stupid b-movie MST3k way.

https://youtu.be/sR_PeHh9wZQ

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Adiabatic posted:

Oh yeah by the way

:siren: SIGN UP FOR AI SECRET SANTA YOU HORRIBLE JERKS :siren:

:siren: TOMORROW IS THE DEADLINE :siren:

:siren: THIS ISN'T UNDERWATER BASKETWEAVING 101 YOU CAN'T PROCRASTINATE PAST THE DEADLINE AND THEN GET MOMMY TO CALL THE TEACHER AND MAKE IT ALL OKAY :siren:

:siren: HERE LOOK I EVEN PUT A loving LINK UP FOR YOU :siren:

:siren: MAKE SURE TO EMAIL automotiveinsanity2016@gmail.com NOT JUST POST IN THE THREAD YOU BAD :siren:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

I only watch Koyaanisquatsi; once a year and while self-flagellating.

That's an odd way of saying masturbate.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

scuz posted:

< :colbert: >

Joel. Joel is the original cast. Joel is not in Rifftrax. Rifftrax is funny and stuff but Joel is the original cast.

</ :colbert: >

A cool and correct post.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Geoj posted:

Split hairs much? :rolleyes:

In context, original cast as opposed to the cast of the current Netflix reboot of MST3K. Maybe I should have said "cast of the original series"?

Yeah, I backed the reboot, but it just isn't the same. Its hard to replicate perfection and the campy nature of the original.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Nov 13, 2017

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Goober Peas posted:

I liked Mike Nelson and his five-head. What I didn't like were most of the inter-movie skits after Joel left.

Meh, Mike had his moments, but he too often inserted his political commentary into the show and generally just wasn't as capable as coming off both dead pan and hilariously goofy as Joel. That's just my opinion though, I can see why people liked Mike.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Olympic Mathlete posted:

To be fair it has one hell of a soundtrack. And it makes me feel sad.

:(

I like instrumentals like Vessels from that soundtrack.

puberty worked me over posted:

Is there a decent single DIN head unit with USB or Micro SD/SD input that has zero glossy plastic (minus the LCD display) on it? I've been searching for years and yet to find one. Been a bit of a personal mission and I keep getting frustrated at the lack of stuff out there.

Reasons the usual suspects don't work:
Bluetooth pairing is a bear and doesn't allow me to browse through tracks quickly.
Android/apple play are terrible because it's a touch screen.
Aux jack is terrible because it's a touch screen I have to pick up or I have to look down to pick up the MP3 player and change tracks. It's just plain awkward. Controls for the stereo should be on the stereo.
CDs are track because who the hell uses optical media after 2010?

I've found sticking flash storage into the a car's stereo to be by far the best way to easily listen to music in a vehicle. Especially if I can skip through directories using the stereo buttons.

The Delphi DEA355 is probably the closest to what I'm looking for but they're unobtanium (or $500+) and wiring harnesses are even harder to come by. These Delphi units were used generally on commercial trucks.

I really want to design a single DIN radio that is the bare essentials, and occupies the minimum of space: USB/Bluetooth/Aux only, no Radio, and can be thin. Very thin. Like the size of a removable radio panel.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Nov 14, 2017

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Enourmo posted:

For the Beetles, a common way to check for problems is to look at the grille. Often, they'll have a mark left over from the manufacturing process, resembling a capital W with a V just above it. If you see that mark, it's a defective car and should be scrapped.

Heresy

Goober Peas posted:

Very common leaks at the valve cover, and at the oil cooler.

The oil cooler is a squirter and the valve cover is a dripper.

This, the dipstick tube likes to break, and oil can travel up the tube far enough to leak. Check the oil cooler too.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Coredump posted:

I'm most familiar with PCOS from the post your recent purchases thread. And I have to say, to see people get taken in almost every time by his incredibly low effort trolling was good entertainment. However I'm very aware this doesn't make up for his shittiness he displayed everywhere else.

It's hard to tell 'Low effort trolling' from 'legitimately just a ignorant rear end in a top hat'

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Ya'll following car 80 at the WRC this weekend?

Does it have a 5 cylinder?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Been listening to a lot of Punk lately, I just love me some early Black Flag :allears:

Spotted on an old Corvair in junkyard today.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Ferremit posted:

You know whats a fantastic feeling? Standing at the checkout of the supermarket with $250 worth of groceries and getting your card declined. Because suddenly the account you know always has between $1200 and $2000 in it because its the staging area for the mortgage payment, bills and food shopping has had $1200 drained out of it by some fuckstain who spoofed a credit card number.

So now not only am I down $1200 for the next up to 40 days while waiting for the banks fraud department to work its poo poo out, but I'll have to eat the overdraft fees on my visa card cos I had to blow straight past its limit to actually buy food for the week. Great loving fun when you have a $1000 power bill, $600 rates bill, $300 utility bill for a meter change and house insurance all due within the next few weeks. So long emergency savings!

:( Not cool, god damned credit card skimmers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Chicken Burger > Beef Burger.

• Locked thread