Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Is it just me or is it weird that adults throw birthday parties for themselves. A surprise party from friends/family I get, but planning one for yourself? Just seems odd to me.
I always go for a meal out with my parents (and my brother if he's available), it's kind of a tradition to go to this restaurant I've had my birthday meals at for literally decades now. I don't really do parties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Rhyno posted:

IPAs are garbage beers for garbage people.
The issue is it seems like a lot of brewers have an obsession with making them taste foul.

Cider doesn't work for me, for some reason even a single pint of it gives me a headache. For the most part, I drink whisky and bourbon, though I've cut out alcohol and fizzy drinks for a while as I'm trying to cut down a chunk. Even though I mostly had Pepsi Max, being sugar free doesn't mean it's great for you.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I do wonder, seeing as the people we normally get to talk to are at least somewhat intelligent: Does the average American understand how totally hosed their healthcare system is, or the universal self-reporting income tax stuff?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

rdb posted:

I didn’t know our income tax was considered self reporting. Most employers (unless its on a 1099) withhold income tax from your check and send it directly to the government.
What I mean is that it seems an awful lot of Americans seem to regard it as normal that you have to fill out forms declaring your income etc and making sure what you've paid in tax is correct, and to get a rebate if you've overpaid. Really, only people who are self employed (or otherwise receiving income "directly") need to do that, the average working stiff just gets their payslip with it all dealt with and that's the end of it. "Doing taxes" is completely alien to almost all employees in the UK.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
The latest Dirt Every Day with the RAV4 is using almost the exact build idea I've wanted to have a play with for making a 4x4 "buggy" drivetrain using a FWD powerpack.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Garage2Roadtrip posted:

Depending on who you ask (libertarians, others) this is just an enormous construct to generate jobs (the IRS). I think a large part of the reason is the compounding variability of US tax law. I personally would love a flat tax, regardless of source or income level, everyone pay 17% or whatever. But with tax exemptions, rebate programs, variables like dependents/businesses/etc... you have to declare all your specifics before your final April 17th number is hammered out.

edit: for example, I'm self employed with a 1099 income, a retirement income, and a w2 income. Federally, I pay like 32% on the 1099, 15% on the retirement, and i think mid 20's on the W2 job. My wife is a W2 employee, and if you do a W4 correctly, she should only be giving up like 18% or something (which is way wrong). So if you have unique situations you have to crunch the numbers or guess what your witholding should be, and hope you break even or get paid a little at the end of the tax year.
We don't have flat rate tax here either, the banding is automatically worked out based on your income. But all that bollocks you just described? Done for me. I might have to fill out a form to be checked for eligibility for any benefits I qualify for (I don't), but I don't have to run the numbers myself.

Coredump posted:

Flat rate tax is regressive and the low/middle class would pay more of the tax burden.
In fairness, you could address that with a high tax-free allowance, so you're entitled to earn X and after that you're taxed at Y%.

I feel that such a system would be nominally better if you set it up right, but I agree that the problem is finding a way not to shaft people in doing so, and I can't see that happening any time soon.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

slothrop posted:

Bitter and floral is my jam, so I love IPA's. I also am old and wise enough to know that everyone is different and thank god, because there aren't enough hops for everybody
Oh, I like IPAs, I'm complaining that brewers seem to be obsessed with doing weird poo poo with them all the time.

ExplodingSims posted:

See the post above yours. 17% of your total income when you're making peanuts is a pretty big burden.

Those who have the most should pay the most. Like if you're already making 7 figures a year you're more than set, so put that money back into the system.
This is why it can only work if you have a good tax free allowance to buffer the people on low incomes.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Goober Peas posted:

I wouldn't mind a Peyton Manning or an Eli Manning

:smuggo:
Best I can do is a Bernard.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

spog posted:

So how much do you guys pay for AAA or the like?

(Healthcare discussion, but for cars not people)

E: genuine question, I am interested. £59/year to cover me in any vehicle towed to nearest garage, £109 with recovery to any location of my choice.
I have RAC paid for via Tesco clubcard points.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Siochain posted:

gently caress
gently caress
gently caress
gently caress
Yeah. Pretty much.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CommieGIR posted:

Metric or Standard?
Whitworth.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Goober Peas posted:

I was pulling for the Doggers
:staredog:

Add another one to the cultural/language divide.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
On a more general sport chat, I always find it odd when things that are judged are called sports, rather than competitions. To me, if the victory conditions aren't an objective, measured metric, it doesn't... count. You lifted more. You did it faster. You did it in fewer shots. You knocked them down and they didn't get back up. And so on. If it's down to someone's judgement of how well you did, how do you know the winner is the best at the sport?

It's like I regard powerlifting as a sport, but bodybuilding isn't, even though the activities done to make you better at it are very similar. Mountain bike races (DH/XC) or trials, yes. Dirt jumping, no.

But I don't seem to mind when something that would be a sport is done noncompetitively is called a sport, even though my mindset is it's just what you do because you like it.

I also don't get how people think that not calling something a sport is somehow a lese majeste problem.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Sports usually involve some sort of physical exertion.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHnBppccI0o

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I only just found out Vauxhall built a VXR Meriva. 178bhp (with more on the full throttle overboost) and a 6-speed box. In a loving Meriva.

That's so beautifully silly.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Use a small fire extinguisher or "disposable" MIG welder canister.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

mariooncrack posted:

The first generation Focus was not very good, even when new.
Where are you getting that from? Other than the usual Ford rust, they're pretty good all-rounders.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Ah, hang on, are US-market Focus models built in America?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Ok, that might explain why ours aren't viewed that way.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Yeah, CSB probably knows most about Rover V8s here. Poor bastard.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
The Fiesta is also an excellent example of how a small FWD hatch should drive, which helps a lot.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

The Locator posted:

I have no idea why people want to go back to the grind that was MC and the original vanilla WoW end game. People are strange.
I've done some time with "committed" MMOing in the past, and while it can be enjoyable, really, I far prefer single-player stuff with an interesting story and lots of poo poo to explore and mess about with.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
You're doing it wrong. Just set it all up, then print out whatever figures you like, telling people they're from a dyno if questioned.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Rhyno posted:

Man, my weight loss has stagnated and it was kind of bugging me until my friend pointed out that I've probably put on a bunch of muscle from lifting all the heavy things.

Now I feel awesome again.
Yeah. Just keep doing what you're doing and don't weigh yourself for a couple of weeks.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I agree, though the team "weight loss" thing we've got going through work is based purely around weight loss (the idea is to drop at least 10% of your weight by mid-January).

The scales don't bother me because it's just another metric, but I don't feel beholden to them. It helps that I both have enough to lose that even with a very composition-oriented plan of campaign (protein and lifting), I'll drop a lot of weight, and also that I'm naturally very "dense", so I don't really give a poo poo what I'm "meant" to weigh outside of my own opinions. I actually had to go and buy some scales for the work thing.

And yes on the "women's weight loss" thing. Not in the sense of "look how stupid girls are", more it really annoys me some of the total bollocks that gets pushed on them. I think my favourite was "I was told to do push-ups from my knees to avoid damaging my lady bits". Ok, look, your body isn't that badly designed, alright? Oh, and loving Slim Fast. Just get actual protein/MRP shakes if you're wanting to do that sort of thing.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

ilkhan posted:

Looking at the scale now... Yes.
Yuuup, that's how I'm back to doing this again, nearly ten years after I first really managed to get myself down a lot. Though the advantage is I know what I'm doing now, no having to use trial and error to work out what works and what's useless.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

mekilljoydammit posted:

Ugh. Stupid exercise - with my brainmeats the way they are, and the way that gradual increases are easy to overlook, every time I try I tend to just "come to the realization" that there's no improvement and it's futile. Yes, I intellectually know that's not the case, but I'm not good at continuing on with things that my brain is screaming aren't doing anything, except for a few years once where I hated myself.
Keep a record of progress to your goal, so you can look back at it and see how far you've come.

Set goals that are your goals, not what other people do or say you should. Look at what Jamal posted - he's about the same height as me, and I like riding bikes too, but his weight of 175 just isn't workable for me, 200 would (from past experience) be an excellent achievement for me, so the fact he's 175 and would like to be lower is no more relevant to me than my desire to lift a chunk more weight is to him. I'll regard hitting his "well, gently caress" weight of 215 as meaning I'm doing really well with my fat loss.

Hating yourself isn't quite what you want, but a certain amount of controlled annoyance with yourself can be useful to push you in the right direction.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Women's magazines are awful
Yep.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

scare women into thinking as soon as they step into a gym or do any form of exercise they're going to turn into The Hulk. I loving wish it were that easy!
My response to the "I don't want to get all big and muscley" was "if that happens by accident, I want whatever poo poo you're taking".

I am quite strict with what I'm eating at present, but I kind of need to be to crack down a bit, and more to the point, what I'm doing isn't checkout magazine bullshit salad nonsense.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

I don't know what the hell is going on, but the HR person that just called me told me she was one of the people I had cussed out.

I'm not an aggressive person at all, and that's not something I would do no matter how angry I was. I still have an email from my old boss saying I am eligible for rehire, so this is completely out of left field for me.
How unintelligent do you have to be to just take at face value that someone you want to hire would do that, and then know gently caress-all about it when you contacted them?

Of course it's someone loving with them. Jesus.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Worth contacting corporate and pulling the gay card? I assume Whole Foods aim for a somewhat touchy-feely corporate image, and being seen to blithely go along with someone loving you out of a job because reasons might not be what they're looking to be seen to be about.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Cats can get what is effectively bladder stones but more of a crystal "sand", it could be that.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Darchangel posted:

It's kind of hilarious that a nation that markets itself with the whole freewheeling, casual, shrimp-on-the-barbie attitude is completely militant about private/personal vehicle inspection pretty much everything.
Fixed that!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
*Checks car insurance price*

*Lowers excess from £250 to zero*

*Quote drops £10*

*Doubles annual mileage estimate*

*Quote drops another £2*

:shrug:

I have no loving clue some days, I really don't.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Insurance quotes can be the dumbest poo poo.
I think my favourite was the classic policy who weren't only nearly double the price I'm paying, but not only demanded the car be garaged, they would not insure the car for theft outside the garage but within a mile of my house.

Go down the Co-Op for some milk on the way home and it gets nicked? Tough loving poo poo.

And they thought - of course - that this was reasonable and normal.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

ilkhan posted:

Its classic car insurance. They expect it to either be garaged or at a show. If you are parking it on the street...
Actually, a lot don't.

But read what I actually wrote. The car must be kept in the garage, that's fine if it's a condition of the policy. Having it out the garage within a mile of your house voids a theft claim. Not storing it outdoors. Just being out of the garage. That it utterly unacceptable, and loving ridiculous.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

slidebite posted:

So basically your classic insurance=storage insurance?

gently caress you, you can't drive it. Sounds like crazy rich people anyhow.
No, you can drive it, but within a radius of one mile of your house, if it's out of the garage, it's uninsured for theft.

I've not had this from anyone else, and I have multiple insurance policies, including classic ones.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

ilkhan posted:

Goes back to being garaged or at a show. Price you pay for cheap insurance on a vehicle you rarely drive.
No.

That is not how classic car insurance works here.

ilkhan posted:

If you don't like the restrictions, go elsewhere.
I did, I was already there, as it happens, this was someone trying to compete with my current insurer. But these restrictions are bollocks and idiotic.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

cakesmith handyman posted:

These will come in handy if dried properly.
Wattle and daub if not.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Just met Hans Rey. Excellent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Aaaand just had a chat with Steve Peat. Having a good evening!

Edit: Yeah, Hans came on stage for his talk to Jump Around, and finished it by backhopping a GT Zaskar off the stage. I definitely got what I came for. Cool guy.

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Nov 11, 2017

• Locked thread