Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I agree, though the team "weight loss" thing we've got going through work is based purely around weight loss (the idea is to drop at least 10% of your weight by mid-January).

The scales don't bother me because it's just another metric, but I don't feel beholden to them. It helps that I both have enough to lose that even with a very composition-oriented plan of campaign (protein and lifting), I'll drop a lot of weight, and also that I'm naturally very "dense", so I don't really give a poo poo what I'm "meant" to weigh outside of my own opinions. I actually had to go and buy some scales for the work thing.

And yes on the "women's weight loss" thing. Not in the sense of "look how stupid girls are", more it really annoys me some of the total bollocks that gets pushed on them. I think my favourite was "I was told to do push-ups from my knees to avoid damaging my lady bits". Ok, look, your body isn't that badly designed, alright? Oh, and loving Slim Fast. Just get actual protein/MRP shakes if you're wanting to do that sort of thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Losing the weight is the easy part, keeping it off is much harder.
Looking at the scale now... Yes.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

ilkhan posted:

Looking at the scale now... Yes.
Yuuup, that's how I'm back to doing this again, nearly ten years after I first really managed to get myself down a lot. Though the advantage is I know what I'm doing now, no having to use trial and error to work out what works and what's useless.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I've been about the same weight since high school, +-15 lbs. Only 32 though, so I imagine the slippery slope will be starting soon. Still, I eat fairly well and exercise at least a few times per week.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Ugh. Stupid exercise - with my brainmeats the way they are, and the way that gradual increases are easy to overlook, every time I try I tend to just "come to the realization" that there's no improvement and it's futile. Yes, I intellectually know that's not the case, but I'm not good at continuing on with things that my brain is screaming aren't doing anything, except for a few years once where I hated myself.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

mekilljoydammit posted:

Ugh. Stupid exercise - with my brainmeats the way they are, and the way that gradual increases are easy to overlook, every time I try I tend to just "come to the realization" that there's no improvement and it's futile. Yes, I intellectually know that's not the case, but I'm not good at continuing on with things that my brain is screaming aren't doing anything, except for a few years once where I hated myself.

The person coming to the realization is not you, but a defeatist rear end in a top hat voice in your head. Tell him/her to shut the gently caress up cause you got work to do yo.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I got into racing bikes (the pedal kind) a few years ago so weight's kind of important. At the same time, I'm an amateur in my 30s so I don't take it super seriously, planning out workouts and meals etc. Mostly I just keep the eating out and junk food/snacks to a minimum and try to drink less beer when i have a lot of racing coming up. I'm lighter than I've ever been since high school, but when mtb race season comes around I find myself wishing for about 10-15 fewer pounds to carry up the hill. Still I stick around about 175 (6'2) and I'm pretty happy with that. Turning point was standing on the shipping scale at work and seeing 215.

jamal fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Nov 7, 2017

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

I know many a thread have been derailed by dealership chat; but This American Life’s podcast this week was all about a car dealership and how quotas are met and margins and stuff (specifically about the sales side). It was fascinating and stressful. I don’t ever want to do automotive sales.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

That's.... not this week. That's the 129 Cars episode, right?

That originally aired Dec 13, 2013.

This has some background on the people involved.

This week is Crime Against Nature (not yet up, comes out Friday), last week's is Things I Mean to Know.

Did you get that via podcast, or hear it on the radio? If it was on the radio, I know my local NPR station will sometimes play old episodes mid-week. If it came in as a new episode in your podcast app, uh... someone goofed on WBEZ's side.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Nov 7, 2017

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Looks like this week's episode is a repeat of 129 cars.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
It's still a really interesting episode, new or not.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Adiabatic posted:

The person coming to the realization is not you, but a defeatist rear end in a top hat voice in your head. Tell him/her to shut the gently caress up cause you got work to do yo.

He's mean.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

mekilljoydammit posted:

Keep a record of progress to your goal, so you can look back at it and see how far you've come.

Set goals that are your goals, not what other people do or say you should. Look at what Jamal posted - he's about the same height as me, and I like riding bikes too, but his weight of 175 just isn't workable for me, 200 would (from past experience) be an excellent achievement for me, so the fact he's 175 and would like to be lower is no more relevant to me than my desire to lift a chunk more weight is to him. I'll regard hitting his "well, gently caress" weight of 215 as meaning I'm doing really well with my fat loss.

Hating yourself isn't quite what you want, but a certain amount of controlled annoyance with yourself can be useful to push you in the right direction.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

the spyder posted:

He's mean.

Punch him in the sac.

No, wait...

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

InitialDave posted:

I agree, though the team "weight loss" thing we've got going through work is based purely around weight loss (the idea is to drop at least 10% of your weight by mid-January).

The scales don't bother me because it's just another metric, but I don't feel beholden to them. It helps that I both have enough to lose that even with a very composition-oriented plan of campaign (protein and lifting), I'll drop a lot of weight, and also that I'm naturally very "dense", so I don't really give a poo poo what I'm "meant" to weigh outside of my own opinions. I actually had to go and buy some scales for the work thing.

And yes on the "women's weight loss" thing. Not in the sense of "look how stupid girls are", more it really annoys me some of the total bollocks that gets pushed on them. I think my favourite was "I was told to do push-ups from my knees to avoid damaging my lady bits". Ok, look, your body isn't that badly designed, alright? Oh, and loving Slim Fast. Just get actual protein/MRP shakes if you're wanting to do that sort of thing.

I have quite a few friends, ladies who've followed various diets and such and they're always frustrated that their lives then revolve around what they're allowed to eat. That's really not a way to live your life. Recently a few of them have discovered running/military fitness stuff and strangely they find they have to worry less about food because they're using it for fuel. One of them has slimmed down loads and become a bunch stronger, she doesn't even bother with scales because the trainer has banned them, he too thinks they're bullshit.

Women's magazines are awful, pushing poo poo like 'toning up' which is a hilariously terrible way of saying 'building muscle' in order not to scare women into thinking as soon as they step into a gym or do any form of exercise they're going to turn into The Hulk. I loving wish it were that easy!

And I have no clue how much I weigh, I last weighed myself maybe a year ago. I feel good, clothes fit better, I'm definitely stronger so I'm just gonna roll with it.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
I desperately wish more fitness instructors would tell women to lift weights. The secret to looking 'toned' is having some muscle, and the female bodybuilder look that is used to scare people off isn't possible without a ton of work and usually chemical assistance.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Women's magazines are awful
Yep.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

scare women into thinking as soon as they step into a gym or do any form of exercise they're going to turn into The Hulk. I loving wish it were that easy!
My response to the "I don't want to get all big and muscley" was "if that happens by accident, I want whatever poo poo you're taking".

I am quite strict with what I'm eating at present, but I kind of need to be to crack down a bit, and more to the point, what I'm doing isn't checkout magazine bullshit salad nonsense.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
Just do what I did guys, no workout necessary!

I got a stomach bug on a work trip and lost over 5 lbs. Then a month later had bronchitis and lost another 10+ over the period of a month due to not getting it diagnosed and treated in a timely manner. Ever since then I have only just tried to watch what I eat and recognize that I'm either eating too much junk or overfilling my plates just because whatever it is tastes so good.

I've managed to stick under 170lbs (5'9") just through that alone. Once I get a little more time, I plan to start the gym, but being sick was the best weight loss program I ever started with! :v:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Liquid Communism posted:

I desperately wish more fitness instructors would tell women to lift weights. The secret to looking 'toned' is having some muscle, and the female bodybuilder look that is used to scare people off isn't possible without a ton of work and usually chemical assistance.

I've had conversations with friends about it. How many of the women you know have muscles that are too big? Do you think you can grow muscles overnight after a single gym session? Have you ever had the terrible affliction of muscles that were too swole?

Strangely none of them ever answer that they know a woman who is super jacked from a single gym session, nor have they ever woken up the day after the gym to find out they were shredded to the point of being the world's most muscular woman.

Toned means building muscle, yes but for some reason ladies seem to think that they'll turn into these juice head muscle freak women who are quite clearly on all sorts of drug cocktails as well as lifting heavy every day and eating a small child's weight in protein and then taking yet more supplements to fuel it.

It's very odd that this is normal thinking when it comes to weights.

InitialDave posted:

My response to the "I don't want to get all big and muscley" was "if that happens by accident, I want whatever poo poo you're taking".

Seriously.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Liquid Communism posted:

My wife used to be into power lifting, never competed but was drat good at it. She found some pictures while going through an old phone....:drat: She's asked for afew months with a trainer as her Christmas present and seems really excited to get back into it.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
rip in pieces ur pelbis

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I’m 6’ and 190lbs and I’m pretty chubby

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Bunch a fatties ITT.

I am 5'8" and weighed 230+ a few years ago.id gotten it down to 205 which seemed perfectly fine to me. Currently 163. Despite muscle gains I still have some flab and I'd like to get under 160 by February.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

InitialDave posted:

Yeah I have to stress to ladies that guys will take protein powder, supplements, etc. and still don't get swole, so its not going to happen to ladies on accident.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I’m 6’ and 190lbs and I’m pretty chubby

Turns out children's souls aren't very dense.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I was pretty fuckin fat

That's the same shirt, I put that red circle in to show all the excess fabric I was able to pull back from the once skin tight shirt.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

for some reason my dash no longer makes sounds, which is odd

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

That's.... not this week. That's the 129 Cars episode, right?

That originally aired Dec 13, 2013.

This has some background on the people involved.

Yeah on iTunes they will just post one a week, they mentioned at the beginning it was an old episode being re-broadcast

BraveUlysses posted:

It's still a really interesting episode, new or not.

I really enjoyed it. Pretty fun story overall though.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I watched both seasons of Stranger Things over the past few weeks and it's legit good, probably the best series I've seen since Breaking Bad.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I watched both seasons of Stranger Things over the past few weeks and it's legit good, probably the best series I've seen since Breaking Bad.

I was not expecting to enjoy the second series as much as I did.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Welp I must be an old now because I really really enjoy driving this slow CVT hybrid Honda.

It's like a spaceship though.

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

Previa_fun posted:

Welp I must be an old now because I really really enjoy driving this slow CVT hybrid Honda.

It's like a spaceship though.

One of the best rental cars I ever had was a Ford C-Max circa 2014 or so. In fact we were given a hemi Challenger as the initial rental and after it died in Waikiki we got the C-Max and we loved it comparatively.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I've been trying half-heartedly to ID these two cars from some reddit post:

Gave up after left wasn't an HHR.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Left is a modern Mini of some description.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

kimbo305 posted:

the left is a Hyundai elantra isnt it?

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
I have weighed less than I do now but felt significantly flabbier and out of shape- my last blood tests showed I need to cut back on bad cholesterol though and a few weeks of that has made me need a new belt hole without trying too hard.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I was not expecting to enjoy the second series as much as I did.

I had steeled myself that it wouldn't be quite as good and nope the only problem was I wanted a dozen more episodes.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

kimbo305 posted:

nice overbite :yeah:

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Weight chat: started 2017 at 437lbs, now I'm down to 375. Shooting for below 360 before this year is over. Weightlifting (and proper nutrition) is where it's at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Rhyno posted:

Bunch a fatties ITT.

I am 5'8" and weighed 230+ a few years ago.id gotten it down to 205 which seemed perfectly fine to me. Currently 163. Despite muscle gains I still have some flab and I'd like to get under 160 by February.

Yeah, I'm heavier than I want to be too. Turns out you can't move to a desk job with limited mobility from a busted up knee and keep eating like you're doing heavy physical work. Down 30lbs so far since I got back to the gym, hoping to drop double that by summer because being six and a half feet tall is enough of a pain without being fat on top of it.

• Locked thread