Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Asserting dominance. If you don't counter immediately you lose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Brothers toffee apple cider. Over-sweet sickly crap but occasionally I can't resist.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

BraveUlysses posted:

nevermind the fact we have millions of people who say "we have the best healthcare in the world" without a hint of irony

The best healthcare in the world might be available in the U.S. (someone will argue with me here but I'm not committed to that hill) but it's irrelevant if you can't pay for it.

I hope you guys don't get ill or in an accident because if I had to deal with a sudden 30k bill I flat out couldn't afford it. I'm worried about paying for my kids hobbies and higher education, get rid of the NHS and I'll hunt you down and skin you alive.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Flat tax is a terrible idea and punishes the poor.

E:yup, that ^

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Garage2Roadtrip posted:

Why? @17% if you make $20k a year you pay $3400, if you make $2M you pay $340,000. Are you saying it's regressive because there are more people in the under middle class, and therefore collectively bear the brunt of the tax burden? If so why wouldn't that be a more accurate payment scheme? Should people that make more have to pay a higher percentage to carry the lower earners?

If you make 20k a year 3400 is a loving fortune. If you make 2M a year 340k is an inconvenience. Here we have 10k ish tax free then bands above that, it's harder to back of the envelope but a linear rise in% by income always sounded better to me.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Holy poo poo IOLink sensors are so God damned easy to setup and use, is this what it's like to join the 21st century?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Enjoy your botnet?

I'm super paranoid about that stuff. The recent WPA2 crack broke me.

300bar N2 pressure sensor on a press tool, the PLC only sees it a a digital input, I think there are 2 or 3 different types of firewall before you could conceivably see even that from the outside.

The benefit is not having to setup outputs, hysteresis points, display colours etc via the 2 tiny buttons on the top.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Technically you could set a bunch of them up for iot playtime, but not in the 26-year-old fabricobbled machines I support.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Good point, I'd love a 350bhp dyno print out for my panda

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

the spyder posted:

He's mean.

Punch him in the sac.

No, wait...

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

poo poo. Is someone trying to sabotage your job hunt?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Winter tyres, top down, heater on full blast, sounds fantastic to me.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

That is dumb and I wonder how many people don't realise what they signed.

My insurance this year stayed with the same company, their renewal offer was about £60 cheaper than any competitor and when I phoned up to talk it down a bit I got another £60 off. They're still scumbag cocks.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Nope okay this isn't okay. Like a 4-5 hour lag but I'm actually sad now not just internet sad. At least I work tomorrow in a very stressful job which will hopefully distract me, unironically.

This is more than just a bit odd and you're right not to feel okay, I'd give you a hug but I'm a jillion miles away. Distracting work might be just what you need right now, just take care.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

bolind posted:

making GBS threads bricks

These will come in handy if dried properly.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Oh hey so some fun yesterday evening, background: our little street is 3 houses at the end of an adopted street, some other houses back on to it and have been using it to park behind their houses for years. When our houses were being built it was made clear by the council that it was the legal right of access to the new houses, use it fine but don't block it. Fine, the only 4 houses that use it have parking that doesn't block the road. One neighbour has repeatedly been a bit of a twat, blocking or partly blocking it and needing to be told to shift. After my wife wrote a formal complaint to his letting agency/landlord he started to behave for a bit.

Lat night, I hear beeping and go out, guy across from me is a paramedic and has just jumped into his car to respond to a call, twat neighbour has had one of his mates park in the road, 100% blocking it. He reluctantly shifts it out of the way while good neighbour has blue lights flashing, horn beeping and revving the engine. He then proceeds to put the car back in the same spot so I went to have a word.

Driver wasn't aware it was a legal right of access, he didn't think we had any need to use it, despite there being no other way to get a car in or out. He didn't think the blue lights were real and I was rude and he was going to call the police. I encouraged this. He stopped.

Worth mentioning that twat neighbour was watching all this with a poo poo-eating grin from his garden?

So I mention the offence of obstructing a highway, that the road being adopted gives it the status of highway, that the fine if a complaint is made and upheld is £1k. Also good neighbour is a real paramedic and you just delayed him going to a call. That someone just like him saved my dad's life just a few months ago.

He says twat neighbour told him it was okay to park there.

Fine is paid by the registered keeper of the car in question buddy. I've already taken photographs, driver then jumps the fence and starts to thump the poo poo out off twat neighbour before apologising profusely to me and driving off.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

spog posted:

So, he didn't care when he was blocking a paramedic on an emergency call, only when there was the threat of a fine?

This is why I hate people.

At first he didn't believe it was a real paramedic, then yes he seemed more concerned with the fine. Good news is that even twat neighbours friends now hate him, hopefully even more so after paramedic neighbour lodges his official - "I was on a call" with dashcam footage - complaint

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

We salute you.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

InitialDave posted:

Any UK guys coming to the Roadkill thing today?

My little brother's there. Lanky ginger with glasses, don't think the Spitfire made it as a new diff is needed. Are you in the cappuccino?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

InitialDave posted:

In the Landie. Parked next to a 2JZ-swapped Volvo...

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

:v:

E: I've not yet actually met InitialDave face to face so I feel it can't be real stalking if I don't know who in supposed to be following

cakesmith handyman fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Nov 19, 2017

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

InitialDave posted:

Our new engineering manager was meant to start today. He's simply not turned up. Through some investigation, it appears he's got an offer elsewhere, and couldn't be bothered to even say anything.

So...you're hiring?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Nice.

Anyone familiar with 7th gen civic hybrids? My wife is killing her diesel with short journeys and I see a bunch of these around for under £2k.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

InitialDave posted:

Can you not get a deal on a Toyota?

Not a good one, can't afford a new car either. A prius+ would be ideal but £12k minimum.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

nm posted:

You know all those fake rumors of having to replace prius batteries really early? Honda hybrids are actually like that from what I gather.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yeah, Honda flubbed that generation of hybrid Civic pretty poorly. Though at that price I'm not sure how much it matters.

nm posted:

He's in england IIRC, so the lights that come on will likely fail MOT even if the car still goes.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Seemed true on the Insight, at least. Coworker of mine had to replace his at 60k, and again around 130k. Someone put that car out of its misery when they t-boned him.

Same coworker bought his Prius around 120k, and the PO had the battery replaced at the dealer shortly before selling it (it's very rare for them to die that early though). It was still on the 2nd battery when he sold it at 300k.

The upside is most Honda hybrids could be had with 3 pedals, so you could at least have a little bit of fun with them.

Sounds like I need to stretch to a gen2 Prius.

Auto was also a bonus, my wife mainly does start/stop and has a bad back.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I hope my colleagues are up to that task when I inevitably stress out and have a heart attack 4 feet away from the AED but I have a feeling they'll call a series of meetings to address the body in the walkway first.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Well I won't mention the economy figures but after I totally failed to get even one of the 6 bolts out required to remove and clean the egr valve on my wife's car I borrowed it and I've been giving it the Italian tune-up to work and back all week, less visible soot and the CEL has gone away :woop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Yeah it turns out there are no real adults, just people who pretended hard enough they don't know how not to anymore.

• Locked thread