Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

InitialDave posted:

The issue is it seems like a lot of brewers have an obsession with making them taste foul.

It doesn't help that a lot of breweries use the hop forward flavor to mask poor brewing practices. Having issues with a wild yeast strain or bacteria in the mix? Dial up the hops and hope nobody notices.

cakesmith handyman posted:

The best healthcare in the world might be available in the U.S. (someone will argue with me here but I'm not committed to that hill) but it's irrelevant if you can't pay for it.

This is pretty much the case.

My sister was until recently working for a government run civil service program (Americorps) that pays minimum wage but writes down a sizable percentage of your student loans in exchange for a year of service. As a result she qualified for medicaid.

Recently she was diagnosed with idiopathic intracranial hypertension (the pressure of the fluid in her brain cavity is too high) and as a result of being on medicaid has been hand-waved away by numerous doctors and even after being diagnosed with a potentially life-threatening condition (among the causes of her condition are infection or massive brain tumor, not to mention the risk of permanent blindness from pressure being exerted onto her optic nerves) has more or less been in a holding pattern. Had to wait a month for an MRI scan - which fortunately came back clear - and is now two weeks into a 6-8 week wait for a spinal tap to relieve pressure. It's highly unlikely that someone who could pay cash or at least with a generous insurance policy I would have to wait 3+ months for treatment.

And just to illustrate how broken our system is - it made more financial sense for her to quit a full time job as an administrative assistant to maintain eligibility for medicaid than retain the job and have their insurance cover it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

The Locator posted:

I'm puzzled as to why, as it seems like the labor market would force the companies into providing decent benefits.

Market forces forcing employers to offer better benefits doesn't work for a simple reason - nobody else does.

Employers have the choice of keeping profits/distributing them to those at the top/shareholders or spending them on employee wages and benefits. Without a critical mass of employers doing so there's no impetus for anyone else to, so most jobs offer mediocre or borderline terrible benefits as a result.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
I think IT offering excellent benefits across the board is a bit of a myth. Even when I worked for HP before the split I would have called my benefits just on the good side of mediocre at best.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Garage2Roadtrip posted:

Wut.
The percentage stays literally the same in a flat tax scenario.

Not sure if this is the direction they were going, but the most recent US flat tax proposal ("Fair Tax") eliminates income tax and replaces it with a flat sales tax - meaning if you don't spend your money you aren't taxed.

And guess what economic classes spend 100% of their annual income by necessity...

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

ilkhan posted:

Wow. Didn't realize how similar Medicaid was to British or Canadian health care.

But we have "the best healthcare system in the world"!

Also bear in mind the 3+ months have been how long she's waited since finding a doctor who told her something other than "headaches are common, take an aspirin."

Best health care in the world my rear end :rolleyes:

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

ilkhan posted:

Yup. But you're using "rest of the world" style health care, not the US style health Care system.

You do know that medicaid uses the same providers as private insurance, right?

We have the best healthcare system in the world if you can walk into the hospital with a briefcase stuffed full of $100 bills. For everyone else, not so much.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
I bought my '02 used in '04, still DD it today. Factory original engine and manual transmission - engine doesn't burn oil, all the gears engage smoothly, still gets high-20s MPG with shorter final drive gears and me driving it like I stole it.

Only major work it's needed has been two clutch replacements and a fuel pump (latter was covered by a TSB) and the usual collection of maintenance on a high mileage car.

e: mine was manufactured in Hermosillo.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Nov 3, 2017

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

There's also this: https://www.rifftrax.com/fast-and-furious

Rifftrax is the original cast of MST3K riffing films as themselves and without the MST3K outtakes or theater silhouettes.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

scuz posted:

< :colbert: >

Joel. Joel is the original cast. Joel is not in Rifftrax. Rifftrax is funny and stuff but Joel is the original cast.

</ :colbert: >

Split hairs much? :rolleyes:

In context, original cast as opposed to the cast of the current Netflix reboot of MST3K. Maybe I should have said "cast of the original series"?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Darchangel posted:

Company I'm working at is doing a Security Awareness push, sending out emails and providing training for phishing, pretexting, and the like, and testing associate's understanding thereof, with their own phishing emails and such. Of course, they want to see how they do against pretexting phone calls. Do they get Infosec to do that? gently caress no, they drop it on desktop support, because we've got, like, nothing else to do, right? Never mind that they never once asked us if we'd be willing or able to do this poo poo. Just dropped it on us, without any warning. Never mind that I absolutely hate, hate, hate cold calling people on the best of days, now they want me to pretend to be someone else and extract internal phone numbers from the marks. I'm sure this is easy for some folks, but it makes me uncomfortable as hell. I can't really refuse, because I'm a contractor, and would really like to stay here, I guess...
I'm going to have to do something about that contractor status as well, because, despite the hourly rate being pretty good, I'm bringing home way less than I was, thanks to my contracting companies ruinous healthcare costs, and the fact that I get no holiday pay whatsoever when the host company has 12 holidays per year. That's around $2500 I just don't get, and my base rate is not awful, but it's low enough that I notice a day or two per week missing. Ugh, it's been 6 months guys - hire me or let me go. Permanent contractor is not going to work for me.

</job whining>

My advice? Get out.

I worked as a computer janitor in a contract position over the summer. Never again.

It could have just been the client (Westfield Insurance) but it pretty much confirmed every stereotype about IT contracting I've ever heard. Five person team handling all incoming calls from 4000+ employees meant you had maybe two to three minutes between calls on a slow day. We also had to answer emails and cover walk up assistance. Employees could pretty much walk all over us and we had no recourse even when people made physical threats over the phone (happened more than once and management always hand-waved it away because "s/he didn't actually mean it.") And they asked (demanded) everyone on the team arrive at least 15 minutes early and be logged in taking calls no later than 10 minutes before start of shift...off the clock - any contractor overtime had to have prior and written approval, and they wouldn't approve the 50 minutes per week they were asking.

When I wouldn't play ball with the "please work roughly one hour off the clock every week" request they ended my contract, and of course they were very careful to never put the requests in writing so I wasn't able to contest it with wage & labor. Not that I'd want the job back if I could get it.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Haven't had one recently but I had a rash of debit cards being compromised a few years ago and my bank always issued a provisional credit immediately when I reported it, and they always found in my favor when investigating it.

Only downside is they started aggressively monitoring my activity for a few months after, and in one case blocked my purchase of a washing machine at a Lowes 10 miles from where I live yet allowed a fraudulent transaction to go through at a Meijer in Detroit minutes after making a purchase with my debit card from a vending machine at work.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
I can see how five guys can exist in markets where the only competition is the usual collection of fast food burger restaurants, but put them somewhere with decent alternatives and I don't understand how they're such a hit.

I live in one of the five US cities that claims to be the birth place of the hamburger (Akron, OH) and you can throw a rock and hit three excellent locally-owned burger restaurants without even trying. Some have been in continuous operation since the 30s and one - a drive in called Swensons - has been ranked in the top 50 burger restaurants nationwide by Zagat and Business Insider several times. And yet five guys still manages to attract a huge following here.

I guess their "voted best burger in X city" campaign really works.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Goober Peas posted:

Torgo Torgoson

26th best episode of MST3K.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

I don't want one of their modems, I want to keep my modem (or at least own my own modem). And I know drat well it's not my modem, since my neighbors are also having the same issues.

Let the tech plug their modem in & provision it to your address, but don't let him leave until you either confirm the speeds are back to normal or he acknowledges that it's not a problem with your modem.

Spectrum also claims they don't charge additional fees for the modems they provide - allegedly its built into the cost of your service - so worst case scenario you get an upgraded modem.

I'd be a bit pissed about the situation if A) my modem hadn't already paid for itself before Charter/Spectrum acquired TWC and B) I'm getting better service now for less than I was under TWC. Prior plan was 30 down 5 up for $80/month, now it's 100 down 10 up for $65.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Nov 27, 2017

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Dear hiring managers: we are not in the post-recession slump anymore.

Just had a (quite short) phone interview with an Intuit reseller looking to fill a technical support position. Not really sure what would possess someone to look at my resume - with over 14 years of relevant to the position, almost uninterrupted work history, including two years of enterprise support with HP - and schedule an interview for an entry-level position they were hoping to fill at $13/hour.

Only wasted about 10 minutes of my lunch break, but for gently caress's sake take some HR courses, reject clearly non-entry level resumes and/or clearly state what you're looking for in your job postings.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Nov 28, 2017

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Lightbulb Out posted:

It works because people become desperate.

I would qualify this with "worked because people became desperate."

I had a cold call from a technical recruiter end of October looking to fill a senior level position. Client had a pay ceiling of $17/hour, and they wanted a four year degree, multiple certifications and 5-8 years of experience. The recruiter admitted they hadn't been able to fill the role for months because of the low pay and she was going to tell the client they'd have to raise the pay ceiling or lower their expectations.

A week later the posting was still active but with "senior" removed from the title, and minus the four year degree & 5-8 years experience requirements. I think employers are slowly getting the message that things aren't so bad anymore that anyone will take any position that pays barely enough to not qualify for food stamps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Currently driving nearly 60 miles a day to work & back, a single 13.7 gallon tank lasts me all week and then some. And my car has shorter final drive (4.06 up from 3.82), a big brake kit and I drive it like I stole it.

Shift before 5k.

• Locked thread