Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Rhyno posted:

DJDaddo would probably love a new dude living on his farm.

Need to bring a Jeep and marshmallows to really make DJDaddo like anyone.

Maybe steak too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

slothrop posted:

I gotta say surprises the hell outta me. Demographics are weird

I was wondering if anywhere did. All I saw were state level results. I live in a rural area and I can say that the majority were pro gay marriage rights. It's mostly just some of the older religious types that were opposed.

Rights doesn't seem like the correct word. Technically we don't have any. Permission? Government sanction? I don't know.

^^^ Are the marshmallows to cook over the burning Jeep?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Mr-Spain posted:

Bleh. I have about 3 good family friends that I don't expect to make 2019. They don't tell you when you get older and have kids that you end up having to deal with that kind of stuff.

:smith: Good luck dude.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Amazon were meant to be delivering some stuff to my parents' hotel for them to bring back for me, but it seems to have vanished into the ether instead of being delivered yesterday... and when I pointed out I needed it to turn up today, it magically became "order cancelled as refused delivery". Uh, no. Had a moan at them, and got them to instead waive the shipping and dutyto send it direct to the UK instead.

Whoever's the local STR-analogue driving that route for them may be in for a bit of a bumming about it if it was them who made that decision, rather than the CS rep that marked it as such, but if you lost it, just say you lost it.

General_Failure posted:

Rights doesn't seem like the correct word. Technically we don't have any. Permission? Government sanction? I don't know.
Australia.txt

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

You Am I posted:

Yay for Australia doing something right for once.

Found a photo of my first car last night, KE30 Corolla. Slow as gently caress, and pretty rusty as well:

My Corolla was a little bit newer.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

sigtrap posted:

Why the hell did I move to Seattle? Cool city and all, but I'll need a second job to afford a parking place.

Eeto do pwanda do bantha poodo, solo

Oh hoh hoh hoh hoh

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
Baby Driver/Atomic Blonde was a really good film combo

Seminal Flu posted:

That's beautiful.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

DesperateDan posted:

Baby Driver/Atomic Blonde was a really good film combo

That's beautiful.

Atomic Blonde has the best Lada content of any film I've ever seen.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Seminal Flu posted:

Look at you and your 'options'

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Seminal Flu posted:

Mine is newer still:

And I really enjoyed Atomic Blonde. Good period espionage/spy thriller.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
:argh: cut the gap from the bumper too big:

even though this started out as bodge-fuckery, I'm gonna have to close the gap up before sanding.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Atomic Blonde has the best Lada content of any film I've ever seen.

From the trailer, I can tell it has very impressive car casting. But I still haven't gotten around to seeing it.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I was a bit disappointed with Baby Driver. It wasnt a bad film but i was expecting a bit more verve or style or something idk

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

kimbo305 posted:

:argh: cut the gap from the bumper too big:

even though this started out as bodge-fuckery, I'm gonna have to close the gap up before sanding.

Did you clean the rust out on the backside of the fender and seal that poo poo up too? Otherwise it'll just rust from the back and get trapped against the bondo. Hopefully it's thin enough now that it's only surface right now.

Also, get a bondo rasp because it will save you so much time shaping that poo poo.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

It's been a year today since my mom died. Kind of strange to believe it's already been a year

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

It's been a year today since my mom died. Kind of strange to believe it's already been a year

Sorry man :( Hope you're doing alright. You've had a rough loving year.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

The anniversaries are the worst :(

Good luck, man.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Did you clean the rust out on the backside of the fender and seal that poo poo up too? Otherwise it'll just rust from the back and get trapped against the bondo. Hopefully it's thin enough now that it's only surface right now.

I felt it with my fingers and it seemed fairly solid (just surface rust) past the parts that I easily took off with my hands. For the back side, sandpapered a bit and applied rust converter haphazardly. For the front, tried to get down to bare metal but left some rust on. My goal is to get it through inspection and be clear what I did with the next buyer. I don't expect it to last long but should hold up this winter.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Siochain posted:

Sorry man :( Hope you're doing alright. You've had a rough loving year.

The anniversaries are the worst :(

Good luck, man.

thanks guys

i'm doing mostly alright, though i did cancel on my friend and i going to the barcade tonight, i dont have it in me to be social

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

ALL the colors of a retrowave music video

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Garage2Roadtrip posted:

ALL the colors of a retrowave music video

Pretty much.
Mine's supposed to be a light ice blue, but the front fenders and hood are silver, and the previous owner was a 20-something. Gonna have to sand all that poo poo off, and fill the 2 million pop-rivet holes when I remove the fiberglass rear over-fenders.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Kid that traded for my FC RX-7 just put a post up on a Facebook group to sell the engine out of it. He's getting another, presumable more stout, engine built. The irony is that I bought the car long ago to nap the engine and rear seat, but it ended up being my daily after my '79 RX-7 lost compression. I'm seriously considering buying the engine back to put in the aforementioned '79... or in the AE86.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Darchangel posted:

I'm seriously considering buying the engine back to put in the aforementioned '79... or in the AE86.

Rotary 86's are the poo poo. There's a local pro-am drifter with a turbo rotary CF bodied 86. It's awesome.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Sold the lathe. Bought a Switch. Was able to keep the milling adapter/attachment, which sells for around $300 by itself on ebay (listed for $200 for hopefully a quick sale, m6-501) and the workbench.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Yesterday would have been my dad's 67th birthday.
A month from Thanksgiving will be the first anniversary of his death.

sigtrap posted:

Why the hell did I move to Seattle? Cool city and all, but I'll need a second job to afford a parking place.

woah... where have you been?
Welcome back!

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Sold the lathe. Bought a Switch. Was able to keep the milling adapter/attachment, which sells for around $300 by itself on ebay (listed for $200 for hopefully a quick sale, m6-501) and the workbench.

Get Golf Story and the big nintendo releases. And Stardew Valley. Most of the other things on the eshop I've bought haven't been worth it.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Pope got a cool new set of wheels

Which he is promptly putting up for auction to raise money for parts of Iraq destroyed by ISIS

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Larrymer posted:

Get Golf Story and the big nintendo releases. And Stardew Valley. Most of the other things on the eshop I've bought haven't been worth it.

Will do on GS. Already have put like 50 hours into SV on the PC though

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Company I'm working at is doing a Security Awareness push, sending out emails and providing training for phishing, pretexting, and the like, and testing associate's understanding thereof, with their own phishing emails and such. Of course, they want to see how they do against pretexting phone calls. Do they get Infosec to do that? gently caress no, they drop it on desktop support, because we've got, like, nothing else to do, right? Never mind that they never once asked us if we'd be willing or able to do this poo poo. Just dropped it on us, without any warning. Never mind that I absolutely hate, hate, hate cold calling people on the best of days, now they want me to pretend to be someone else and extract internal phone numbers from the marks. I'm sure this is easy for some folks, but it makes me uncomfortable as hell. I can't really refuse, because I'm a contractor, and would really like to stay here, I guess...
I'm going to have to do something about that contractor status as well, because, despite the hourly rate being pretty good, I'm bringing home way less than I was, thanks to my contracting companies ruinous healthcare costs, and the fact that I get no holiday pay whatsoever when the host company has 12 holidays per year. That's around $2500 I just don't get, and my base rate is not awful, but it's low enough that I notice a day or two per week missing. Ugh, it's been 6 months guys - hire me or let me go. Permanent contractor is not going to work for me.

</job whining>

sigtrap
Apr 14, 2002

MOIST
Been trying to make life not suck, but that goes for everyone I'll bet. Sold the Tacoma, the Aston & the motorcycle are stuck in a storage unit in Spokane until I can find a place to park them here, plus the car needs a service as it's been a few years.

I walk my fat rear end everywhere now, which is good for me but goddamn I miss driving. Paying like $1700 for a tiny apartment but it's in a pretty cool part of town and I can walk to work downtown I guess.

Also coffee and bums

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Long term contacting sucks. I'd start looking for something more permanent. How long was the contract supposed to be?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

mariooncrack posted:

Long term contacting sucks. I'd start looking for something more permanent. How long was the contract supposed to be?

To be fair, they didn't specifically mention a time span. Probably because one of my predecessors quit immediately when they didn't hire her at 90 days like they said.

Goddamn this calling sucks. I'm having trouble working up the nerve to call. This should be easy, but it just mortifies me. It's not, like, and anxiety attack, but I just. don't. want. to. do. it.

gently caress them for not asking.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

InitialDave posted:

Amazon were meant to be delivering some stuff to my parents' hotel for them to bring back for me, but it seems to have vanished into the ether instead of being delivered yesterday... and when I pointed out I needed it to turn up today, it magically became "order cancelled as refused delivery". Uh, no. Had a moan at them, and got them to instead waive the shipping and dutyto send it direct to the UK instead.

Whoever's the local STR-analogue driving that route for them may be in for a bit of a bumming about it if it was them who made that decision, rather than the CS rep that marked it as such, but if you lost it, just say you lost it.

If the tracking was showing AMZL as the carrier, then yeah, it was either a contactor for Amazon (like me) or a local courier company. But if we mark a package as refused, we drat well better return it that day. If we have more than a couple of packages not get returned, we're gone.

I've never had a decent hotel refuse to accept a delivery, so long as I had a name and room number. Some crappy hotels won't accept anything on behalf of people staying there (Motel 6, Super 8, etc), but we're supposed to attempt delivery to the room unless the customer specified otherwise (a lot of drivers are too lazy though, and just dump it on the front desk).

General_Failure posted:

^^^ Are the marshmallows to cook over the burning Jeep?

:v:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Nov 15, 2017

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Darchangel posted:

Company I'm working at is doing a Security Awareness push, sending out emails and providing training for phishing, pretexting, and the like, and testing associate's understanding thereof, with their own phishing emails and such. Of course, they want to see how they do against pretexting phone calls. Do they get Infosec to do that? gently caress no, they drop it on desktop support, because we've got, like, nothing else to do, right? Never mind that they never once asked us if we'd be willing or able to do this poo poo. Just dropped it on us, without any warning. Never mind that I absolutely hate, hate, hate cold calling people on the best of days, now they want me to pretend to be someone else and extract internal phone numbers from the marks. I'm sure this is easy for some folks, but it makes me uncomfortable as hell. I can't really refuse, because I'm a contractor, and would really like to stay here, I guess...
I'm going to have to do something about that contractor status as well, because, despite the hourly rate being pretty good, I'm bringing home way less than I was, thanks to my contracting companies ruinous healthcare costs, and the fact that I get no holiday pay whatsoever when the host company has 12 holidays per year. That's around $2500 I just don't get, and my base rate is not awful, but it's low enough that I notice a day or two per week missing. Ugh, it's been 6 months guys - hire me or let me go. Permanent contractor is not going to work for me.

</job whining>

My advice? Get out.

I worked as a computer janitor in a contract position over the summer. Never again.

It could have just been the client (Westfield Insurance) but it pretty much confirmed every stereotype about IT contracting I've ever heard. Five person team handling all incoming calls from 4000+ employees meant you had maybe two to three minutes between calls on a slow day. We also had to answer emails and cover walk up assistance. Employees could pretty much walk all over us and we had no recourse even when people made physical threats over the phone (happened more than once and management always hand-waved it away because "s/he didn't actually mean it.") And they asked (demanded) everyone on the team arrive at least 15 minutes early and be logged in taking calls no later than 10 minutes before start of shift...off the clock - any contractor overtime had to have prior and written approval, and they wouldn't approve the 50 minutes per week they were asking.

When I wouldn't play ball with the "please work roughly one hour off the clock every week" request they ended my contract, and of course they were very careful to never put the requests in writing so I wasn't able to contest it with wage & labor. Not that I'd want the job back if I could get it.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Geoj posted:

My advice? Get out.

I worked as a computer janitor in a contract position over the summer. Never again.

It could have just been the client (Westfield Insurance) but it pretty much confirmed every stereotype about IT contracting I've ever heard. Five person team handling all incoming calls from 4000+ employees meant you had maybe two to three minutes between calls on a slow day. We also had to answer emails and cover walk up assistance. Employees could pretty much walk all over us and we had no recourse even when people made physical threats over the phone (happened more than once and management always hand-waved it away because "s/he didn't actually mean it.") And they asked (demanded) everyone on the team arrive at least 15 minutes early and be logged in taking calls no later than 10 minutes before start of shift...off the clock - any contractor overtime had to have prior and written approval, and they wouldn't approve the 50 minutes per week they were asking.

When I wouldn't play ball with the "please work roughly one hour off the clock every week" request they ended my contract, and of course they were very careful to never put the requests in writing so I wasn't able to contest it with wage & labor. Not that I'd want the job back if I could get it.

Nah, this is the only thing they've asked me to do that makes me uncomfortable, and that's because *I, personally* am uncomfortable with cold calling and pretending to be someone else. I don't improv (AKA bullshit) well, and it's vaguely stupid and poorly planned anyway. I like the work. I build and deploy machines. It's 99% at the local office, and there's none of that call metric/ticket queue metric SLA garbage. The other two IT guys at this location are permanent employees, and, outside of a few very specific things, they've treated me like an employee. I got to go to San Diego for their annual conference, and participate in whatever parties and such that they provide. I mean, I've had ample time to type this up...
I hate for it to boil down to money, but I got to pay the bills, unfortunately.
This stuff with the pretexting calls is me just being... me (spergie.)

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Darchangel posted:

Nah, this is the only thing they've asked me to do that makes me uncomfortable, and that's because *I, personally* am uncomfortable with cold calling and pretending to be someone else. I don't improv (AKA bullshit) well, and it's vaguely stupid and poorly planned anyway. I like the work. I build and deploy machines. It's 99% at the local office, and there's none of that call metric/ticket queue metric SLA garbage. The other two IT guys at this location are permanent employees, and, outside of a few very specific things, they've treated me like an employee. I got to go to San Diego for their annual conference, and participate in whatever parties and such that they provide. I mean, I've had ample time to type this up...
I hate for it to boil down to money, but I got to pay the bills, unfortunately.
This stuff with the pretexting calls is me just being... me (spergie.)

You should subcontract to the skeeziest con artist you can find in the city. It's over the phone...

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Never do contract work unless you have absolutely no other choice.

Darchangel posted:

none of that call metric/ticket queue metric SLA garbage.

You'll need to get over this. I'm curious why it's an issue for you?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

sigtrap posted:

Been trying to make life not suck, but that goes for everyone I'll bet. Sold the Tacoma, the Aston & the motorcycle are stuck in a storage unit in Spokane until I can find a place to park them here, plus the car needs a service as it's been a few years.

I walk my fat rear end everywhere now, which is good for me but goddamn I miss driving. Paying like $1700 for a tiny apartment but it's in a pretty cool part of town and I can walk to work downtown I guess.

Also coffee and bums

Holy crap rent is getting ridiculous, sometimes home ownership can be a PITA but I'm drat glad I own one now because gently caress rental rates.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Holy crap rent is getting ridiculous, sometimes home ownership can be a PITA but I'm drat glad I own one now because gently caress rental rates.

Yeah the median home price in Seattle is north of $700k so it's not like his mortgage would be cheaper.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Maksimus54 posted:

Yeah the median home price in Seattle is north of $700k so it's not like his mortgage would be cheaper.

But at least with a mortgage, you're building equity in something (provided you didn't do something stupid with your loan).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Maksimus54 posted:

I bought my house over ten years ago when rent was half of what it is now and my mortgage is the same. Looking back now I'm just really glad I did because having to rent or buy a house now would loving suck.....I'm not suggesting sigtrap go buy a house, it just made me feel warm and fuzzy that my mortgage is almost half of what my house would probably rent for these days.

• Locked thread