Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Olympic Mathlete posted:

In the UK it's been shown that the general public believe that 'lazy shiftless sad sacks' are leaching ten hundred billion quid from the pot. Fact is the real number is absolutely gently caress all in the grand scheme of things. Ironically those that are loving the country over are the huge multi million pound + companies.

Not saying don't chase the small leeches but when you have huge ones feeding directly off your arteries you may want to prioritise a bit.

Also I love not having to gently caress about doing taxes ever :allears:

Its alright for some you bastard :(. I have to do taxes and they loving suck working as a 1-man business since I have to follow the same rules and procedures as those huge companies.

I have just had to do a VAT return. The 'simple' scheme I am on changed in April and I have now had to follow these incredibly badly written instructions to work out my new VAT rate.

quote:

These businesses will now be classed as “limited cost traders” if they spend:
• less than 2 % of their VAT inclusive turnover on goods in an accounting period; or
• more than 2% of their VAT inclusive turnover but less than £1000 a year.
I spent ages trying to understand this and have concluded that it should just say "if they spend less than 2% of their VAT inclusive turnover OR under £1000 per year on goods", which seems much simpler.

also

quote:

Goods do not include:
• goods you will resell or hire out unless this is your main business activity

:psyduck:
surely all business goods are resold? (ideally)

Tomarse fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Nov 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

fridge corn posted:

shut up morrissey

:golfclap: Corn.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

cakesmith handyman posted:

That is dumb and I wonder how many people don't realise what they signed.

My insurance this year stayed with the same company, their renewal offer was about £60 cheaper than any competitor and when I phoned up to talk it down a bit I got another £60 off. They're still scumbag cocks.

My main insurance policy went up by £100 this year :(

The agreed/declared value bit of many classic policies is also worth poo poo, and be careful what you are signing up for regarding any rights you have to get your vehicle back after a claim.

Back when I was involved with the landrover club a guy locally got hit by a drunk driver and it hosed his truck up (if you drive head on into a forward control landrover the car will go underneath the chassis and rip your springs and axles off...)
His 'classic' insurance company re-valued his vehicle much lower than it should have been and then didn't want to let him have/buy the salvage vehicle back to fix it.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Music chat:

I was recently played this by a friend and it's been a while since I've been dumbstruck laughing by a band. It pretty much defies description. I'm not entirely sure I like it but it sure is interesting.

https://youtu.be/UBakgOHKI-g?t=5m50s

Batshit.

Anybody who is a metal fan should start listening to this album from the beginning https://youtu.be/UBakgOHKI-g

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Eastern European folk music, metal blast beats, opera singers, funk bass, breakcore and loving chiptune. It's crazy. And that's just that one song. ADHD in song form.

My earlier genre classification of baroque-death metal-opera-breakcore summed the live experience up pretty well. He also has a massive Gigeresque tentacle mic and dresses a bit like a crazy caveman which makes it more fun.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

InitialDave posted:

I'm the chunky one with the bald spot immediately in front of the Landie's spare wheel.

Edit: I only got one goony visitor in the form of Olympic Mathlete. The nature of the event, I was kind of hoping we'd get either Tomarse's 101 or Bape's LSM3 in the mix.

I really wanted to go but I've overdone it for the past couple of months and have just spent the last 4 days feeling like total poo poo and trying to stay warm and shake the man-flu I've been fighting for the last 2.5 weeks.

I should probably have tried harder and got my poo poo together and come down. Being overworked and stressed and then feeling lovely on top has just destroyed my motivation

I don't trust the 101 to drive me anywhere at the moment either.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

slidebite posted:

:same: x3

I take out $100-$200 in cash, generally lasts me more than a month, and then everything else is CC. Heck, the tap poo poo on CCs now is actually faster than debit/cash.

By "tap poo poo" do you mean contactless? We have that on debit cards too back in the UK.

Its great, but unfortunately most bars/pubs here have a minimum charge of £10 before you can use contactless so you are stuck with still using cash unless you have more than the 2 drinking friends I usually seem to end up out with, or are happy paying more for drinks than I am or don't like to go out...

I've gone the opposite way to all of you and stopped using my credit card and now use debit only as they wouldn't let me set up a standing order to pay the whole CC balance off each month. I can only do a set amount or the minimum payment automatically, so as a consequence I kept getting charged interest if I forgot to pay it manually in time.

The level of protection against fraudulent transactions seems just as high on debit as it is on credit, if not better as they seem more responsive. I've had my debit blocked quite a few times for 'suspicious' transactions and they have generally rung me within a couple of minutes to ask me about them.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Food chat: I tried to make my own bread rolls tonight.
I didn't get something quite right as they ended up super dense and really doughy in the middle. Not sure what I did wrong.

I want to make pizza dough. The bread rolls were supposed to be a test. I wonder if I'm doing this the wrong way round?

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

freelop posted:

If anyone is after a steam link it's currently 90% off (down to £3.99)
I use one quite regularly and they are nicely made

plus £7.40 shipping :(

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

KozmoNaut posted:

And this is why all of my passwords are unique and randomly generated. Goddamn.

I've been trying to achieve this for ages but its just so hard! :(

I'm using lastpass, and have been working hard to get my password security score up, but because I have the password saved for so many different corporate systems which are all directory integrated I think it constantly scores me down for having them all the same (even though they will all get changed every 3 months).

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

The amazon delivery software must be fairly poo poo. Yesterday I got 3 prime deliveries off the same guy approx 15 minutes apart. Why didn't it tell him to do them all at once?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Neither this time. Broke up late last week and I think I seriously said something completely wrong and hurtful to someone else that I will deeply regret.

Hasn't everybody done this at least once?. Just apologise and give it time and try to get on with everything else and try not to do the same thing again...

• Locked thread