Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Firos posted:

I love this front page so much :allears:

It's even better than the day after polling day's headlines, which are also very loving good.

I just wish you could make a better "Works on contingency? No, money down!" joke with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Junior G-man posted:

How Meghan Markle might bring the royals closer to Christ the King

The Guardian's pet reverend shouldn't be let near an op-ed page.
He almost makes a compelling case for Christian Anarchism, or liberation theology, or at least nailing monarchs to bits of wood, but stops at the last minute.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Oh great here's Matt Frei in Dublin again.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Random Integer posted:

I always enjoy the scare quotes around "unelected" in "unelected Lords". Like this factual description is some kind of shocking, damning revelation.

whether its Lords, international law, the judiciary, the EU parliament, the EU commission, it's all just a dogwhistle that they lack the queens divine right to rule through parliament

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Bloody unelected gods going around divinely appointing monarchs.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I feel like you could make an argument that the lords are elected, they're elected by the electors, which is to say whoever the queen wants to listen to.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I've always found the use of scare quotes in that headline odd, actually, even in the context of The Mail.

Like, surely not using quotes around "unelected" would better represent their position on said lords (that they're actually not elected and that there's no further nuance to explore). Ditto "game-playing" - I thought their position was that the remainers were just playing political games? Putting quotes around that suggests the description is not entirely warranted or accurate.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think they just habitually put quotes around "racy" terminology, anything a bit too "strongly worded".

Though of course they do that arbitrarily.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

I think it's because having quotation marks often associates the object of the sentence with derision rather than dismissing whatever is within the quotation marks. It turns a descriptor into an insult.

I mean you can hear the quotation marks around "so-called" Islamic State whenever the BBC says it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
In newsprint it can also imply that they're just echoing from someone else's statements, which will be written in full in the main article, and are thus not the arbitrary opinions of the DM, because it's not my fault if someone else said that the Mail are 'fascist pricks' and should be 'thrown in the sea'.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

It's also a good sock puppet trick. Claim there are 'calls' for something, imply there's some popular outrage, and then stick your own opinions in quotes

^^^ yeah that

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

crispix posted:

Oh great here's Matt Frei in Dublin again.

I'm extremely biased here, but every Irish contributor is making rational and coherent arguments, and every British contributor is talking complete arse. Starting to suspect there's some kind of contagious brain-parasite afflicting the British political class

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Guavanaut posted:

He almost makes a compelling case for Christian Anarchism, or liberation theology, or at least nailing monarchs to bits of wood, but stops at the last minute.

You read that thing? :psyduck:

How'd you even get past the author's portrait

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Talking complete arse is how we communicate without the Irish being able to understand.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

WeAreTheRomans posted:

I'm extremely biased here, but every Irish contributor is making rational and coherent arguments, and every British contributor is talking complete arse. Starting to suspect there's some kind of contagious brain-parasite afflicting the British political class

Soundbite Matt Frei

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

OwlFancier posted:

Talking complete arse is how we communicate without the Irish being able to understand.

I have to admit it's pretty effective. Matt Frei seems to be going full Euroskeptic for the sake of devils advocacy I guess?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There is a slight downside in that quite a lot of the British can't understand it either.

Also a slightly bigger downside is that apparently quite a few people can understand it and it influences policy.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

baka kaba posted:

It's also a good sock puppet trick. Claim there are 'calls' for something, imply there's some popular outrage, and then stick your own opinions in quotes

^^^ yeah that

when did the treacherous surrender to unreasonable 'European' demands become a sensible financial deal

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

when did the treacherous surrender to unreasonable 'European' demands become a sensible financial deal

We have always been leaving the European Union and forming a trade deal with Oceania.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

baka kaba posted:

^^^ yeah that
It gets used non-deceptively in normal headlines too, when the paper wants to make clear that it's someone else's opinion elaborated within, but it's only a fragment being quoted, like "Relief as 'pervert' teacher found guilty".

Not that the Mail would ever run a non-deceptive normal headline.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
That debate was a real IQ shrinker. It was great to see the incredulity of the British panelists when one of the Irish informed them that RoI only sends 14% of its exports to the UK. Perhaps Britannia does not in fact rule the waves?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

No now it's good and things are definitely moving ahead, excellent negotiation by the UK team as usual. Remoaners just want the moon on a stick!

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

namesake posted:

I think it's because having quotation marks often associates the object of the sentence with derision rather than dismissing whatever is within the quotation marks. It turns a descriptor into an insult.

I mean you can hear the quotation marks around "so-called" Islamic State whenever the BBC says it.

They do it with "so-called" national living wage too right? Right??

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i'm glad america has decided to destroy its economy before brexit destroys ours

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jose posted:

i'm glad america has decided to destroy its economy before brexit destroys ours

What are they doing?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

OwlFancier posted:

What are they doing?

huge tax cuts, specifically to corporation tax are almost certainly being voted in by the senate tonight. A bunch of CEO's have already come out and said that the money saved is just going to their shareholders lol

https://twitter.com/MrDanZak/status...pagenumber%3D81

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Looooool.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

"I'll have you know sweeping corporation tax cuts are actually the key to economic success" ~ ireland

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

kustomkarkommando posted:

"I'll have you know sweeping corporation tax cuts are actually the key to economic success" ~ ireland

I dunno, we do ok. The economic malaise in Ireland is way more due to our ridiculous property market and acquiescence to austerity measures than it is the corporate tax rate, imo

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I wonder what will happen when the entirety of America is like one of those insane republican failed states.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
It's times like this we need a neoliberalism smiley

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
so what happens to people who live and work on different sides of the border? can Ireland unilaterally allow British citizens the right to work in Ireland without the EU? can the UK just give the Irish the right to work in northern Ireland?

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

WeAreTheRomans posted:

I dunno, we do ok. The economic malaise in Ireland is way more due to our ridiculous property market and acquiescence to austerity measures than it is the corporate tax rate, imo

Corporate tax cuts to cause growth are Austerity

the social cuts this results in you can (rightly) argue are the point, but the defence has always been "but this will cause growth".

Spangly A fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Nov 30, 2017

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

I presume the UK can set up any arrangement it likes, there's just no chance of reciprocation because it would have to involve the whole EU.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Rarity posted:

:shrek: works.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Rarity posted:

:clegg:

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

XMNN posted:

so what happens to people who live and work on different sides of the border? can Ireland unilaterally allow British citizens the right to work in Ireland without the EU? can the UK just give the Irish the right to work in northern Ireland?

The CTA and its accompanying freedom of movement and privileges extended to citizens of Ireland in the UK and vice versa is broadly agreed to be safe.

Its all about the movement of goods rather than people.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Sounds like an opportunity for anyone near the border to smuggle cheap fags and radioactive chutney between the two nations if you ask me.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

XMNN posted:

To expand on Ronya, this has already been allowed since Irish independence in 1922 (and covers the whole UK not just NI)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

OwlFancier posted:

I wonder what will happen when the entirety of America is like one of those insane republican failed states.

The Purge but 24/7

• Locked thread